SEC/BIG form Joint Advisory Group

BurntOrange&White

I would legitimately wonder how the fuck the $30k rule for half the students could clear Title 9. 

to have any semblance of fairness amongst all the other sports, it would have to be $30k for all scholarship athlets or you lose all other mens sports other than basketball and football 

Ignoring all the other sports, you would have 100 full time scholies in football and basketball.  only 15 for womens basketball.  so you would have to find another 85 womens scholies to fill the void (I know we do it all the time). but then that would mean (other than the top 40-ish schools of the new Tier Platinum 64 league) maybe another 20-ish schools outside of the 64 could afford to have college baseball teams. and none of the schools outside of the 64 could afford have any mens sports named something other than FB, BB, BB.  The womens sports would flourish. but the mens would get massacred. 

The only way I could legally see a way around Title 9 would be if you structure it so football to no longer considered a college sport (which would kind of be what most of the board has said we could do to solve title 9 in a minute- as long as football was exempted from the matching scholarship limits)

and the only way I can think of to do that would be to make it a paid minors football league.  and completely eliminate the student athlete requirement.   

you can play in the "minor league" as long as you graduated high school within the last 4 years and never played in another professional league for up to the next 5 years. 

which suddenly would make Nebraska get all excited again because they could bring in every prop 48 kid again   :D 

classes would be optional Players could still go to school if they "wanted" to, but they would be paying for their classes themselves out of the NIL money pool.  and by them being professionals paying to go to school, that seems like the workaround needed to clear the Title 9 hurdle. 

13 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Ignoring all the other sports, you would have 100 full time scholies in football and basketball.  only 15 for womens basketball.  so you would have to find another 85 womens scholies to fill the void (I know we do it all the time).

Easy peasy. Been doing it for years. NO EXPERIENCE REQUURED!

IMG-0111.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2024 at 7:32 AM, ButtFumble said:

yea I don't think this will work out how people think it will

Charter and ESPN just went through a long negotiation about cramming channels on lower tier cable packages like the ACCn and the SEC SEC SECn and there have been other pushes against it before.....several systems took the BTN off their lower tiers several years back

the ACC is sitting there thinking they are going to get $1.23 per sub per month for all of California, and Texas based on Cal, Stanford, and SMU now being "in state" and there is no chance that cable companies are going to let that go on forever even if current contracts call for it

now I am seeing a lot of reports that all the magical "streaming" is going to shit too because companies are doing the exact same shit....putting 400 channels no one wants and no one gives a fuck about in their packages and streaming charges are getting as high or higher than cable bills.....and ESPN still sucks complete cocks at streaming they are probably the worst of the worst and they think they are just going to bypass cable companies, cram all their shit in a package and either offer it themselves for $20+ a month or make streaming companies take all of their shit

people are dropping streaming left and right already and even more are going with the periodic sign up when there are sports seasons they are interested on or others are signing up and binge watching the good shows and then dropping it a couple of months later and doing other shit with their money

if you cut out 88 plus D1-A teams from D1-A you can count on a very high % of people just not signing up for anything ESPN at all and their revenues will go to shit....of course some will say "well those 40 in the highest division will just take the bulk of the money", but as it is now with "cramming" of channels the bulk of the money for ESPN is people that do not give a fuck about sports at all....start losing rabid fans from 88 teams and it is going to be an issue

college sports is not like major leagues and really a lot of things about major league sports are pretty shitty and getting shittier....not really something to emulate especially with ESPN in the lead of making it happen

With UVerse we've had one of the 4 local network channels off the air for several weeks.  Just yesterday another one was off.  The cable companies are not rolling over for anyone.

18 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, point taken.  with the realignment...things will be markedly different.  I was speaking from a historical perspective where the SEC's administrative leadership was absolute garbage and the Big 10 was the model of public higher ed research for a half century or more.  To be fair though, don't lump in Georgia or A&M with Texas and Vandy next time though ;)  Apples and shit Oranges to be honest.  But yep. this massive reshuffle is gonna change everything from research alliances to athletics to intercollegiate club sports and all else in between.  This was always gonna happen eventually, but it is just plain weird seeing it play out so fast and so vast.  Not at all what I thought would happen 10 years ago.  But probably for the best...

Its not going to make any difference on academic alliances.  That is not impacted by sports conferences.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:21 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

If the new league can generate just half the money the NFL does that is 9 billion a year industry. In 2022 NCAA only made like 1.2 billion. 

That's 99% March Madness revenue.  The NCAA doesn't get any revenue from football postseason.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Easy peasy. Been doing it for years. NO EXPERIENCE REQUURED!

IMG-0111.jpg

I remember having a couple of girls from the rowing team in one of my classes back in the day.  Neither of them had ever rowed before coming to UT.

• Rage+1 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:07 PM, YGIFS said:

This has got to be an awkward moment for some of them.  Actual, credentialed academic leaders from Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan, et. al. having to sit with dipshits from Tennessee, South Carolina, and Alabama.  Some of those SEC schools have leadership that can barely read.  Meantime, the leading research public Ivies have to make nice with them to achieve some monetary gains?  Whew...

this is funny.  "credentials" mean jack shit at the poker table.

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is funny.  "credentials" mean jack shit at the poker table.

I think they do mean something. Ultimately, universities are academic institutions. Presidents will sell out to athletics, because fund raising is a huge part of a president’s job, and athletics brings alums back and lets a president “sell”. Boards have alums serving, and they want to the alma mater win. 

In this world, academic stature still means something. Fans may want their school to win like Michigan, but faculties and deans want the academic rep of Michigan. Texas can have discussions with Michigan, about common goals and viewpoints, that it can’t have with Clemson. 

I don’t know how long it will take before public universities regular funding is used to pay NIL, but the schools that care about academic reputation will be the ones working to forestall it. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, statsman said:

I think they do mean something. Ultimately, universities are academic institutions. Presidents will sell out to athletics, because fund raising is a huge part of a president’s job, and athletics brings alums back and lets a president “sell”. Boards have alums serving, and they want to the alma mater win. 

In this world, academic stature still means something. Fans may want their school to win like Michigan, but faculties and deans want the academic rep of Michigan. Texas can have discussions with Michigan, about common goals and viewpoints, that it can’t have with Clemson. 

I don’t know how long it will take before public universities regular funding is used to pay NIL, but the schools that care about academic reputation will be the ones working to forestall it. 

Yep. But ultimately we chose the rednecks over the academics.  The sec is the oil tycoon at the poker table.   Credentialed up

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

'Credentialed Up" is a good band name.  

I think most of us have made our peace with the academic shitshow embarrassment that is the SEC.  Yes, there's a few good schools in there, but we're doing it for money and if we can retain our academic/research prowess, all the better.  But these ridiculous notions that schools have to either be good at sports or good at academics/research is bullshit.  You can be both.  And we will continue to be.  But like it or not, there is more to the University landscape than your league schedule, you are known by the company you keep.  The Big 10, for a fucking century, led the world in public higher ed research and intellectual collaboration.  And it was all started under a handful of football stadiums.  

I know with the Top 7% rule, there's many on here who have kids who attend(ed) SEC schools for myriad reasons.  Places like Auburn, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mississippi State, et. al.  I get it, it's the reality of our state's gross underfunding of serious public universities.  My children may very well do something similar one day.  Nothing wrong with it.  It's about the kid, not the school.  But before we walk across the stage to the SEC, let's just drop the pretense and acknowledge we left one conference full of dipshits not serious about academics & research for another one.  But at least we getting paid, yo.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I remember having a couple of girls from the rowing team in one of my classes back in the day.  Neither of them had ever rowed before coming to UT.

My wife was one of those. She was walking down the West Mall one day and was asked to join because she was tall and athletic.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2024 at 5:32 AM, ButtFumble said:

and ESPN still sucks complete cocks at streaming they are probably the worst of the worst and they think they are just going to bypass cable companies, cram all their shit in a package and either offer it themselves for $20+ a month or make streaming companies take all of their shit

I can assure you that ESPN is not going to bypass cable companies and go all streaming. That's not anything near reality.

19 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I would legitimately wonder how the fuck the $30k rule for half the students could clear Title 9.

It wouldn't go forward unless it's compliance with Title 9. Everybody at every school in the NCAA knows that, and it was front and center in what Charlie Baker put forward.

25 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

ESPN/Disney is in a bad spot

they have an older demographic for ESPN that are sports rabid, might have some that are "technologically challenged", and others (like me and a lot I know) that are not at all technologically challenged, but generally see the streaming aspect of things as kind of a pain in the ass relative to TV......and at the same time if I am going to stream then I am going to use one of the 200 free bootleg streaming sites out there and not pay shit (and get a 1,000% better quality stream that the shit ESPN currently puts out)

on the other hand Disney has a younger demographic with kids or some slightly older kids that are "screen addicted" and probably can't even use cable TV and might not own a TV (or it collects dust) and that thinks streaming is everything

some of the older and more rabid ESPN sports fans live in some rural areas that have shitty internet even today or some live in older (and still nice) built out places that still have shitty internet because it cost so much to come in and upgrade.....these people can still get cable TV or they can get sat coverage and that works just fine for their sports addiction.....most of them do not give a shit about Disney content

the Disney people are probably in newer developments that were built out with internet or at least internet in mind or a lot are in very high density places that have been upgraded......but a lot of them don't give a shit about ESPN....and of course they are used to ditching streaming services at the drop of a hat, signing up and binge watching then dropping, being offered all kinds of incentives to switch or to stay a customer and they are loyal to jack shit

all while being combined that ESPN/Disney infrastructure and revenues are predicated on forcing masses of people to pay a lot of money for a large amount of shit they do not want AND cable and sat companies rolling over and going along with it

now cable and say companies (horribly shitty run companies which is why somehow as near monopolies several have gone BK in the past) have finally figured out that people are dumping them because of the cost of paying for shit they do not want and they are pushing back.....far too late though.....and then there is ESPN making it clear as day they are going to go around "cable companies".....but through ass backwards luck "cable companies" are not internet companies in most areas and doing half ass well at it.....so ESPN/Disney still needs them or more so needs their future streaming subs to have good service from them

but ESPN/Disney and the cable (and even more so sat companies that are NOT internet providers) are now clearly at odds

and ESPN/Disney need to navigate all of this while getting their massively shit filled inflated cost structure under control and trying to figure out how to still fuck people into paying lots of money for shit they do not want in a long term basis.....while clearly moving to fuck over those they still need to depend on for revenue some in the short term and others long into the future

really the ramifications of being assholes for 20+ years and just not giving a shit other than tossing out shit and forcing people to take it

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I never realized that Chopper was a Helobius sock. 

I didn't realize you don't understand something as simple as the word "bypass," which is what I responded to.  See the Charter contract they just re-negotiated. ESPN is still available to cable companies and they're certainly not walking away from that mode as long as cable companies represent a large number of users.

13 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

12 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

on the other hand Disney has a younger demographic with kids or some slightly older kids that are "screen addicted" and probably can't even use cable TV and might not own a TV (or it collects dust) and that thinks streaming is everything

Maybe at a very minimum take a moment to look up the different cable and streaming channels Disney owns outright, or a controlling interest in. It goes well beyond ESPN and Disney. 

Jesus, y'all sound like what I imagine a bunch of aggy corps twats sound like just before they get to the foreplay.

This has been a truly miserable and clusterfuck of a thread. Shame we'll never know but I doubt even the fresh titties could've saved it.

Edited by Chopper

Joel Klatt pointed out in his podcast that the NCAA would be more relevant if they had embraced NIL ten years ago when it first became clear it was coming. 

I think they avoided it, because the NcAA is fundamentally a democracy, and the large majority of its members are in a different place, with very different viewpoints, than the SEC and B1G schools. 

FCS and most of FBS would like salary caps and barriers to transfer, basically…a game much more similar to what college football was ten years ago. 

The SEC and B1G also see the current world as a chaotic place, but they probably have different desires- probably a boilerplate NIL contract that precludes unethical behavior for both parties in an agreement. 

18 hours ago, statsman said:

If so, why did Nebraska lose their AAU membership after joining the Big 10?  And South Florida got admitted while in the AAC?

Sure, it means Stanford and Cal get consideration for the ACC.  But it still took SMU's boosters to buy Stanford and Cal in.  Texas, Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Rice and others have all done fine academically without being in the Ivy League or Big 10 or even the Pac 12 or ACC.  The academic alliances have nothing to do with conference affiliation.  Texas is working on the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile with (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Magellan_Telescope

10 minutes ago, bullet said:

If so, why did Nebraska lose their AAU membership after joining the Big 10?  And South Florida got admitted while in the AAC?

Sure, it means Stanford and Cal get consideration for the ACC.  But it still took SMU's boosters to buy Stanford and Cal in.  Texas, Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Rice and others have all done fine academically without being in the Ivy League or Big 10 or even the Pac 12 or ACC.  The academic alliances have nothing to do with conference affiliation.  Texas is working on the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile with (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Magellan_Telescope

i hope we have aggy boxed out from anything to do with design, construction, engineering, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Because they dropped below the research grant dollars metric required for AAU membership, IIRC.

The AAU also changed the formula to reduce ag subsidies as no longer dollar for dollars which hurt schools like Nebraska and Iowa State.

• Drool 1

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Yet we don’t have have sports for athletes who have dedicated years of their life playing…wrestling (mostly men), gymnastics (both), soccer (men), rodeo (both), lacrosse (both), etc. Hockey would make more sense from that perspective than rowing. 

59 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yet we don’t have have sports for athletes who have dedicated years of their life playing…wrestling (mostly men), gymnastics (both), soccer (men), rodeo (both), lacrosse (both), etc. Hockey would make more sense from that perspective than rowing. 

Hockey is fucking expensive, especially with no opponents within a bus ride.

I'd think that we have to add gymnastics, especially in the SEC.   We'll see how much money they're making and we won't be able to resist.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:21 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

If the new league can generate just half the money the NFL does that is 9 billion a year industry. In 2022 NCAA only made like 1.2 billion. 

9 billion to 48 teams is like 190 million per team a year and at 60 teams that's like 150 million per team. 

There is absolutely too much money being left on the table. Anything over 1.2 billion is TONS more money for member teams of whatever becomes of CFB.

There is absolutely no way that college athletics will ever generate half the money the NFL does.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, statsman said:

- probably a boilerplate NIL contract that precludes unethical behavior for both parties in an agreement. 

An NIL contract with who? The players. Because I can't see a 5 star signing a contract that stops him from making millions.

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The AAU also changed the formula to reduce ag subsidies as no longer dollar for dollars which hurt schools like Nebraska and Iowa State.

that was not what happened

1. the AAU places a value on "competitively awarded" research.....land grant universities get statutorily awarded research dollars from the feds based on being a "land grant" university with those dollars awarded based in a large part on the agricultural productivity of the state the university is in......a very very very large number of AAU members are also land grant universities and the AAU has never considered their statutorily awarded dollars as part of the evaluation criteria.....because getting those dollars has nothing to do with the quality of research of the university and also because other universities that are not land grant do not have the ability to compete for those dollars......that was simply an argument that Nebraska used to cover their ineptitude....and more so their inability to take those land grant dollars and use them to build out infrastructure that can then gain large amounts of competitively awarded life sciences grant money......with the AAU placing a high emphasis in life sciences grants because they feel those often have national and international benefits (along with engineering and medicine)

2. Nebraska made the claim that not having a medical school hurt them (something similar to what Iowa State just claimed).....but there were issues with this false claim as well.....Nebraska - Lincoln is one of only 2 major public universities in Nebraska with the other being Omaha and the other public schools in the state minor players of under 7,000 enrollment......there is the one medical school as well.....there was NOTHING that stopped that medical school from being merged in with the Lincoln campus (similar to how aggy has all of their medical components across the state all under college station since about 2012)......but the state never saw fit to do that.....and the reason for that is because that medical school is not a major producer or research it is more of a teaching facility......and more importantly the AAU evaluates universities against "peer universities" (both inside and outside of the AAU) in part based on having a medical school or not having a medical school

so in the past prior to the Dell Medical School opening up Texas would be evaluated against PUBLIC universities like Berkeley (that does not have a medical school), or against aggy (that in the past did not have their medical schools under the college station campus) or against Iowa State, Oregon, or Colorado (that do not have a medical schools).....in the case of Texas the medical school is new so that plays a part and more so Texas has plenty of other factors in their favor to remain well within the AAU even now being evaluated against "peers" with medical schools

or in the case of private schools Rice is not evaluated against Vanderbilt or Duke or Tulane because they all have medical schools....they would be evaluated against any AAU members that are private without a medical school (Cal Tech) or outside of the AAU schools like SMU, Baylor, Tulsa, or similar private universities

in the case of NU because they were already being told to improve or face removal and because their medical school they COULD have merged was not very research productive the only thing that would have happened if they had merged it would have been a new set of schools to evaluate NU against especially in the AAU and all of those schools and their medical component would have been an even harsher comparison for NU....thus they were out 

the AAU of course uses many other evaluation criteria that are not based solely on research and are not based on total research, but the end result was NU had ab out a decade warning to improve and they did nothing and they were out

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

They never counted those as they were not competitively bid.  Its just that medical and engineering research dollars shot through the roof, leaving those schools without medical or engineering schools behind.

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

We can afford it.  We probably should add men's soccer and women's gymnastics.  We should be able to shortly be nationally competitive in both.  Don't know that we would ever be regularly competitive in wrestling or lacrosse.  Those sports are just bigger elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Oklahoma State started a hockey team a few years ago and next year will compete in the American Collegiate Hockey League as part of the Texas Collegiate Hockey Conference which includes UT. It’s described as a “club sport” so I think they cover their own costs by fundraising. The OSU team plays in Tulsa and next season will be at a new small practice arena built for our minor league hockey club. I’ll probably watch some games in person because it’s close and they serve beer. 

As far as official NCAA sports I’d be curious to know what P5 schools have added sports in recent years. I only seem to recall schools dropping sports and only smaller schools adding sports. OSU built a soccer stadium but we only have a women’s team. It would make a ton of sense to add men’s soccer and women’s Volleyball since they would use Gallagher Iba Arena. Both sports have gained a lot of popularity in this area. But costs are always mentioned when new sports are mentioned, even for those two sports that already have facilities, so probably won’t happen. 

Edited by 'stache

Oklahoma State started a hockey team a few years ago and next year will compete in the American Collegiate Hockey League as part of the Texas Collegiate Hockey Conference which includes UT. It’s described as a “club sport” so I think they cover their own costs by fundraising. The OSU team plays in Tulsa and next season will be at a new small practice arena built for our minor league hockey club. I’ll probably watch some games in person because it’s close and they serve beer. 

As far as official NCAA sports I’d be curious to know what P5 schools have added sports in recent years. I only seem to recall schools dropping sports and only smaller schools adding sports. OSU built a soccer stadium but we only have a women’s team. It would make a ton of sense to add men’s soccer and women’s Volleyball since they would use Gallagher Iba Arena. Both sports have gained a lot of popularity in this area. But costs are always mentioned when new sports are mentioned, even for those two sports that already have facilities, so probably won’t happen. 

As you likely know, club sports aren’t a part of title 9 so fair game. Off topic, I wish T9 was off the table for football. So dumb it is included.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, austingirl said:

I seriously LOLed. It's....sweet? that y'all want to see crew team-era AG but let's not.

Ma’am, these guys are degenerate freaks, many of whom have never seen an actual live woman naked. There is nothing sweet about it. 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:41 PM, Chopper said:

It wouldn't go forward unless it's compliance with Title 9. Everybody at every school in the NCAA knows that, and it was front and center in what Charlie Baker put forward.

200 x30k = 6 million. Drop in the bucket for these big schools and keeps the heat off their backs. 

I think they won’t fight it because it’s cheap. 

On 2/5/2024 at 10:10 PM, 'stache said:

I don't remember any school adding a men's sport.  A number of schools have added women's sports.