The Greatest Night in Pop - Netflix

Already talked about in the Netflix thread. 

And just to be clear… the “cool” thing about it was just the number of celebrities involved, right? The song itself is fucking horrible and I can’t stand hearing it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Already talked about in the Netflix thread. 

And just to be clear… the “cool” thing about it was just the number of celebrities involved, right? The song itself is fucking horrible and I can’t stand hearing it

I have always been a MUCH bigger fan of Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas” as a song (at least one I will listen to at Christmas time) but I will concede (as I did to my wife as we watched this) that the slate of USA For Africa’s artists had much longer staying power/revere than Band Aid’s artists have.

Having said that, watching this doc was the first time I have listened to “We Are The World” in…a decade? Plus?

Huey Lewis had a horrible task of trying to follow up Michael Jackson. Also, Al Jarreau was an asshole. You're lucky to even be here. I felt bad for Sheila E because she was right, they used her to try to lure in Prince. It is amusing to watch these retrospectives and think we're never going to see a worldwide pivotal moment in music like that again...even though we're more connected globally than ever. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It is amusing to watch these retrospectives and think we're never going to see a worldwide pivotal moment in music like that again...even though we're more connected globally than ever. 

COVID Zoom meetups was probably the last chance at that.

There’s smaller offerings like this. And that’s probably the best we will get.

In 1989, artists from Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Iron Maiden, Free and others joined forces to raise funds for people affected by the Armenian earthquake. Kerrang called it "the greatest array of hard rock talent every assembled".

Organised by Jon Dee, the remake featured David Gilmour, Brian May, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Alex Lifeson and Chris Squire on guitars. On vocals it had Ian Gillan, Bruce Dickinson, Paul Rogers and Bryan Adams. Keith Emerson and Geoff Downes played the keyboards and Roger Taylor played the drums.

Making of

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

My wife was watching this in the bedroom the other night and I caught the last 10-15 minutes.

I need to watch it all but do they ever explain how the fuck Dan Akroyd ended up there?

Man, Dan Aykroyd hosted the first MTV Video Music Awards with Bette Midler. The guy was really into the scene I guess because of Blues Brothers...and cocaine. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Huey Lewis had a horrible task of trying to follow up Michael Jackson. Also, Al Jarreau was an asshole. You're lucky to even be here. I felt bad for Sheila E because she was right, they used her to try to lure in Prince. It is amusing to watch these retrospectives and think we're never going to see a worldwide pivotal moment in music like that again...even though we're more connected globally than ever. 

It was the last vestige of the recording industry star system before Nirvana(and Napster) blew it all up.

10 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This is a tremendous watch. It’s about the one night recording of We Are The World, to benefit Africa. 

What Quincy Jones did to pull this off was epic. Kenny Roger’s was the coolest dude in a room full of cool dudes - didn’t expect that. 

Roger's??? When did he put the apostrophe in his name?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That was a fun watch.  Stevie Wonder's line in Day-O "you're gonna have be to driven home by me or Ray" was fucking hilarious.

The individual pairing seemed so random, but turned out to be genius.  Glad Prince never showed - there is no way he could check his ego.

10 hours ago, mdleast said:

I have always been a MUCH bigger fan of Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas” as a song (at least one I will listen to at Christmas time) but I will concede (as I did to my wife as we watched this) that the slate of USA For Africa’s artists had much longer staying power/revere than Band Aid’s artists have.

Having said that, watching this doc was the first time I have listened to “We Are The World” in…a decade? Plus?

Of course they knew it was Christmas. Ethiopia's population is about 70% Christian. 

The song, We are the World, is a beating to me now but it was such a big deal at the time it is still really impressive what they did.  My favorite “song for a cause” from the 80’s was Sun City.  I still like it to this day and the range of the artists that were involved is pretty amazing also.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The song, We are the World, is a beating to me now but it was such a big deal at the time it is still really impressive what they did.  My favorite “song for a cause” from the 80’s was Sun City.  I still like it to this day and the range of the artists that were involved is pretty amazing also.

This was very impactful.  To this fine day, I refuse to play Sun City.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, mdleast said:

Musically, I agree with you.  DTKIC is much more interesting and pleasing to the ear.  It has a bit of a new wave vibe/sound while WATW is pure indistinct pop shit.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Of course they knew it was Christmas. Ethiopia's population is about 70% Christian. 

Lyrically, I can't stand DTKIC.  It's borderline offensive in it's ignorance of the mechanics of the famine and the geography of Ethiopia.  It tries to shame you into caring in one verse and then says "you ain't gotta feel guilt" in the next.  It's aggressively pious and grates on me every time. 

On the other hand, WATW's lyrics are generic and do not reflexively set my teeth on edge.

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Quincy said something like "the white guys brought it tonight", and they sure did. Huey, Cindy, Bruce, Kenny, and Dillon (eventually) killed.

Especially impressed with Huey holding his own being just being a one album wonder compared with all the multi platinum in that room. A bunch of the guys in his band played and did some back up vocals too.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this song kept Wham from having another #1 in 1985 with their Xmas song.

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Quincy said something like "the white guys brought it tonight", and they sure did. Huey, Cindy, Bruce, Kenny, and Dillon (eventually) killed.

Especially impressed with Huey holding his own being just being a one album wonder compared with all the multi platinum in that room. A bunch of the guys in his band played and did some back up vocals too.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this song kept Wham from having another #1 in 1985 with their Xmas song.

*Cyndi   *Dylan

I was really impressed with Stevie Wonder parroting exactly how Dylan needed to sing his part.  

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Right, but Christmas (Genna) is on January 7, so the topic is up for discussion.

On 2/4/2024 at 8:43 PM, mdleast said:

I have always been a MUCH bigger fan of Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas” as a song (at least one I will listen to at Christmas time) 

Totally agree, other than the "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you...." scream from Bono. Don't need more guilt in my holidays, thankyouverymuch.

18 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Do you think Sports has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Do you think Sports has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost?

He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 2/5/2024 at 9:03 AM, Jerry Callo said:

That was a fun watch.  Stevie Wonder's line in Day-O "you're gonna have be to driven home by me or Ray" was fucking hilarious.

The individual pairing seemed so random, but turned out to be genius.  Glad Prince never showed - there is no way he could check his ego.

the nugget about Prince wanting to do a guitar solo would be quintessential Prince.  He knows that no one else in that room, and i'm betting he knew everyone that was there, could do what he does on guitar(save maybe Buckingham). 

Good watch.   Huey Lewis and Ritchie seem like decent normal guys you would absolutely want to hang out with.  crazy the talent in the room. 

1. Dylan(AKA Dillon) looks like he is waiting to head in for a colonoscopy the whole time

2. no Beach Boy - maybe Brian Wilson was too in the bag at this time

3. I bet Willie convinced Waylon to come and once the SW swahili thing and probably other delays started he was "F this, this is looking like a shitshow"

4. Lewis really does nail his part

5. Springsteen's voice really is worn out(good on him for gutting it up during the event and for sitting in on the doc though)

6. Steve Perry was a bad motherfucker

7. Dan Akroyd, really?  couldn't have called Tony Bennett or someone like that?

8. good to see Jackson before he 100% went off the deep end...

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Good watch.   Huey Lewis and Ritchie seem like decent normal guys you would absolutely want to hang out with.  crazy the talent in the room. 

1. Dylan(AKA Dillon) looks like he is waiting to head in for a colonoscopy the whole time

2. no Beach Boy - maybe Brian Wilson was too in the bag at this time

3. I bet Willie convinced Waylon to come and once the SW swahili thing and probably other delays started he was "F this, this is looking like a shitshow"

4. Lewis really does nail his part

5. Springsteen's voice really is worn out(good on him for gutting it up during the event and for sitting in on the doc though)

6. Steve Perry was a bad motherfucker

7. Dan Akroyd, really?  couldn't have called Tony Bennett or someone like that?

8. good to see Jackson before he 100% went off the deep end...

Absolutely.  And the way they put together that part with him, Kim Carnes and Cyndi Lauper was brilliant. Just a fantastic vocal moment.

31 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Absolutely.  And the way they put together that part with him, Kim Carnes and Cyndi Lauper was brilliant. Just a fantastic vocal moment.

every time I see Huey Lewis I recall seeing him and Billy Idol at Six Flags back to back nights in 1984(Sports and Rebel Yell).  very memorable because getting to Idol was a shitshow and had to walk about 2 miles after I bailed on the car stuck in traffice getting there.

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

A buddy of my Dad drove Huey's bus for one of the tours, and said that Huey and the boys were the nicest bunch of guys that you could ever hope to meet.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I was surprisingly invested in that moment. Then they nailed it, "hell yeah!". 

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was surprisingly invested in that moment. Then they nailed it, "hell yeah!". 

It is funny because the song, as most "ginned up for a moment"  protest/political/support songs are, is very blah.  but it had to be pretty generic and basic to fit trying to get 20 or so voices of all types into it for a line or 2.

all we saw for years was the video of them nailing it and now you really see what goes into it.  Jones and Ritchie did a great job of keeping people that are used to being the leader, on task.

one other point, the check your ego sign and especially the geldof speech were brilliant moves by Jones.  Dude is a master.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched it with my kids and at the end I asked - “if you had to be stuck on an island with 2 or 3 of these people - who would you take?”

Willie, Lionel and Diana Ross were all preferred.  Honorable mention to Huey Lewis, Quincy, Steve Perry, the blond guy from hall&oates, Kenny Loggins and the Boss.

If you put me on an island with Stevie Wonder, Prince, Al Jarreau, Cyndi Lauper and Waylon, I predict it would devolve into violence almost immediately, and then starvation and suffering.

Also, can’t rewrite history on Michael Jackson, but it was really cool to watch him work in the studio, to hear him sing unfiltered, and to watch him interact with others.  I never appreciated his raw talent.

fun show.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:34 PM, Red Five said:

How long are we on this island? How many people can we select? Also, was Stevie Nicks there?

We’re on the island until rescue at some unknown future date.

Watching LR and QJ wrangle these people was not too far off from an SNL celebrity jeopardy skit.  Lionel telling Lauper to “make a good decision,” was funny.

No Stevie Nicks.  
Yes Diana Ross.