Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Many of the opinions here about Baby Reindeer are from posters whose opinions I respect. Plus I heard about it from some real life humans that normally make good recs, so my wife and I sat down to watch it last night. 

We made it midway through the second episode and then clicked out. I found myself cheering for the disgusting tub of goo in dark ways because I despised the main character so much. Once I realized that my preferred ending, one in which she murders him violently and then commits seppuku in front of hundreds of appalled onlookers on a comedy standup stage, couldn’t happen because the dude is still alive, I lost all interest.  

The trans woman was the only likeable character.

Baby Reindeer 

Holy shit! 
I have no words.

Had dinner with a couple tonight who recommended this. Just watched the first two episodes. Wild.

I enjoyed “Martha” in The Outlaws on Prime so I’m enjoying this so far. 30-min episodes are a nice change up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Had dinner with a couple tonight who recommended this. Just watched the first two episodes. Wild.

I enjoyed “Martha” in The Outlaws on Prime so I’m enjoying this so far. 30-min episodes are a nice change up.

I wouldn’t recommend this show without a strong warning. It’s not what I’d call entertainment. It’s the definition of train wreck. It’s a painful watch thru depravity, insanity, and poor life choices by both leads. We don’t know how much is truth or fiction but the lead dude wrote it.

The actress playing Martha is brilliant. She is sweet then disgustingly nasty and filthy then terrifying and homicidal.

We finished it last night. If it hadn’t been just 7 30 minute eps we would have bailed.
  • Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

I wouldn’t recommend this show without a strong warning. It’s not what I’d call entertainment. It’s the definition of train wreck. It’s a painful watch thru depravity, insanity, and poor life choices by both leads. We don’t know how much is truth or fiction but the lead dude wrote it.

The actress playing Martha is brilliant. She is sweet then disgustingly nasty and filthy then terrifying and homicidal.

We finished it last night. If it hadn’t been just 7 30 minute eps we would have bailed.

If you haven’t watched The Outlaws on Prime you should check it out. Her character is hilarious.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:07 AM, closetojumping said:

Many of the opinions here about Baby Reindeer are from posters whose opinions I respect. Plus I heard about it from some real life humans that normally make good recs, so my wife and I sat down to watch it last night. 

We made it midway through the second episode and then clicked out. I found myself cheering for the disgusting tub of goo in dark ways because I despised the main character so much. Once I realized that my preferred ending, one in which she murders him violently and then commits seppuku in front of hundreds of appalled onlookers on a comedy standup stage, couldn’t happen because the dude is still alive, I lost all interest.  

I felt very much the same way and was about to give up on it, too, but decided to stick it out.  Once I watched the rest of it, it all made sense but in an extremely fucked up way.  Like the other poster said, it's a very honest (seemingly) portrayal but beware because it can be very triggering for some. 

Late to the game on American Nightmare but damn. 

Spoiler

I don’t think $2.5M is near enough for fucking up an investigation that could have stopped a rape plus all the other pain and suffering. And so many unanswered questions: Andrea, the FBI agent who dated her, the torso doll, the accomplices…

The new prank show has some humorous moments.  Save yourself some time and boredom and fast forward to the end of the episode for the actual pranks.  I don’t even care if everybody was in on it, they were amusing.

Spoiler

They should have tried to make the massage therapy blowing the guys head off work, but I get that the loud noise gave it away.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The new prank show has some humorous moments.  Save yourself some time and boredom and fast forward to the end of the episode for the actual pranks.  I don’t even care if everybody was in on it, they were amusing.

Hide contents

They should have tried to make the massage therapy blowing the guys head off work, but I get that the loud noise gave it away.

Yeah- had some good ideas but seemed like the girl shit all over them and ruined some of the pranks like the massage therapy one.

35 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Yeah- had some good ideas but seemed like the girl shit all over them and ruined some of the pranks like the massage therapy one.

One of the folks involved said I think on Twitter that the massage therapy one had a noise issue with the mechanism (I’m guessing it’s an air cannon or compressor of some sort) and while it looked hilarious as hell, anybody standing there would hear it.  I’m sure they could have figured it out if they wanted to spend the time/money.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:41 AM, Texzilla588 said:

After watching several episodes, I finally noticed that they were relatively short.  I was surprised because the episodes FELT much longer.  Maybe that's because the material was so uncomfortable.

Circles with Claire (sp) Danes is awful.  Terrible plot and it has some big actors in it, but they play really stupid characters.  Made it through 3 ep and threw in the towel for the Baby Reindeer show.  Stay away from Circles or be warned, one.

The Reindeer show is pretty interesting so far, but i would have told her to get lost a long fucking time ago, but I suppose I can see & understand why/how he didnt.  He makes a lot of brutal mistakes along the way trying to tip toe around things.

Not new (October last year) so probably already covered but: if you like spooky stuff The Fall of the House of Usher is decent. It’s the latest from Mike Flanagan (Haunting of Hill House, Midnight Mass) with a similar cast. Flanagan does a clever job of basing it on FotHoU but incorporating several other Poe stories. 

Plus you get to see Carla Gugino crawl around in lingerie in episode two. 

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Fair warning. Do not waste any time watching A Man in Full.  Based on a pretty good book by Thomas Wolfe but this is complete garbage. Jeff Daniels is the lead and is an absolute cartoon. 

I read that book 20 years ago when I lived in Atlanta.  Jeff Daniel’s is not how I pictured the lead.  I always pictured him as Hank Hill’s dad if he was an overleveraged real estate magnate with working legs.  

On 4/29/2024 at 7:09 PM, nineliveslost said:

Rebel Moon 2 is just as bad

On 4/29/2024 at 8:24 PM, veritas aequitas said:

Didn't watch 2 since 1 wasn't that good, but I will still say it was better than Star Wars.

You didn’t like the scene when the Swedish babe and kora got naked in the hot springs before the battle?

The Asian chick had a surprisingly big ass. Noice.

rebel moon 2 was better than 1 

1 hour ago, BrickTop said:

Ricky Stanicky is one of the funnier movies I have ever seen, Jon Cena shows acting ability I never knew he had.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I may have to see everything Jon Cena is in for a while just to watch him do crazy things. I never saw him in the WWE, but I kind wish I had, as I find him extremely entertaining. 

1 hour ago, BrickTop said:

Ricky Stanicky is one of the funnier movies I have ever seen, Jon Cena shows acting ability I never knew he had.

6 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I may have to see everything Jon Cena is in for a while just to watch him do crazy things. I never saw him in the WWE, but I kind wish I had, as I find him extremely entertaining. 

It’s also not on Netflix. 

Haven't seen anyone mention John Mulaney's: Everybody's in L.A.

"Look, you either come do bad things with me and Herb Albert, or you don't come at all!"

-Lou Addler

Edit to say that this is, without a doubt, the best talk show of all time.

Edited by dcbc

On 5/2/2024 at 5:09 PM, TonyTexas said:

Fair warning. Do not waste any time watching A Man in Full.  Based on a pretty good book by Thomas Wolfe but this is complete garbage. Jeff Daniels is the lead and is an absolute cartoon. 

Well Charlie Croker was pretty much a cartoon. I'm rather enjoying it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/3/2024 at 2:02 PM, bschoolprof said:

want to cancel our netflix subscription, but everytime I brink up the possibility, my family freaks out.  

Angry Hate GIF

5 hours ago, BrickTop said:

He’s a pro wrestler, of course he’s a good actor.