Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

53 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Didn't realize Six Feet Under was streaming. Re-watched the pilot this past weekend. Some really outstanding acting and some of Alan Ball's best work

Maybe the best series finale of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not reading everything to see if recommended.

The Tourist. 2 seasons. Good reviews. 6 episode seasons. Pretty dense without a bunch of useless filer. Good action. Good character development. No tits.

Didn't realize Six Feet Under was streaming. Re-watched the pilot this past weekend. Some really outstanding acting and some of Alan Ball's best work.

Yeah when they are holding each other and realize that maybe… 6 feet ain’t so far down?
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Billy (verbally) beating Brenda to death is high comedy. I know Ball said he wanted to depict all the finale deaths in a very serious manner and he succeeds in that respect. But he did work that one aspect of Brenda / Billy in which made all the sense in the world. 

The big blowout fight that Nate and Brenda have might be the most realistic (or familiar) fight I have ever seen on film.  I remember being dumbfounded.

found it

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/25/2024 at 3:00 PM, Buzzrock said:

Fool Me Once is terrible. You should all watch it.

The lead is gorgeous but the close-ups don’t do her any favors. She’s all Botox and fillers and makeup. Still hot.

Fool Me Once is beyond terrible.

It's the kind of show where every character has to make bone headed decisions every 5 mins. The show relies on everyone keeps secrets from each other.

And all of twists are easy to figure out. 

Show would have been much better if it was just the grumpy detective and his gay sidekick solving crimes.

An example of the stupidity:

Spoiler

The main character believes that her handgun was used to kill her sister. So she goes to a shooting range with the gun and saves the cartridge. She gets her friend to compare the cartridge from the murder with the shooting range cartridge. They match! So now she knows her husband used the handgun to kill her sister.

So what does she do? She uses the same handgun to kill her husband. Which of course leads the police to believe that she's the main suspect. Why use the same handgun to kill your husband and obviously link the two crimes together and make yourself the lead suspect?

4 hours ago, huge said:

The big blowout fight that Nate and Brenda have might be the most realistic (or familiar) fight I have ever seen on film.  I remember being dumbfounded.

found it

Yes, great scene.

The Chenowith family alone made the show so good. Jeremy Sisto took his character to some serious heights of crazy and weirdness. Couple that with being in love with his sister and it was just one of many great elements of that show. 

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Watched the first episode of Warrior tonight. 1870's San Francisco Chinatown organized crime stuff. Has a bit of a Guy Ritchie feel like The Gentleman. Same showrunner as Banshee, so...

If you know anything at all about Bruce Lee's life, this show is like a window into his psyche/soul and it's clear that he was a pretty twisted dude.

The Anti-Social Network: From Memes to Mayhem 

covers the path from 4chan to anonymous to Qanon. Pretty political so be warned, but amazing to see how these geeky outcasts had such a massive impact on both culture, media, and politics.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2024 at 12:04 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Watched the first episode of Warrior tonight. 1870's San Francisco Chinatown organized crime stuff. Has a bit of a Guy Ritchie feel like The Gentleman. Same showrunner as Banshee, so....

Anyhow, I'll keep watching for now. 

On 4/6/2024 at 6:10 AM, bernorange said:

If you know anything at all about Bruce Lee's life, this show is like a window into his psyche/soul and it's clear that he was a pretty twisted dude.

I've been powering through in between other shows.  It's a lot of fun.  A lot of the actors are horrible (although many are good) and outside the main guy, I can't recall anyone being in anything else that I've seen.  It took me until the episode in season one where they go pick up the coffin in the small old west town that when the Asian actors speak English with no accent, they are speaking Chinese, then whenever they interact with a white person (other than Ah San and Mai Ling, given they knew English already), they speak in broken English.  It's a choice.  But this show is too shallow for subtitles so I appreciate it.  

I've been powering through in between other shows.  It's a lot of fun.  A lot of the actors are horrible (although many are good) and outside the main guy, I can't recall anyone being in anything else that I've seen.  It took me until the episode in season one where they go pick up the coffin in the small old west town that when the Asian actors speak English with no accent, they are speaking Chinese, then whenever they interact with a white person (other than Ah San and Mai Ling, given they knew English already), they speak in broken English.  It's a choice.  But this show is too shallow for subtitles so I appreciate it.  

lol the speaking part I figured out pretty early and then had to do a deep dive to see if I was imagining it or not. Very Hunt for Red October-esque

Much like Shogun in FX, the Japanese is subtitled and the “Portuguese” being spoken is actually in English.

the little things -  It was decent but had some plot holes.  It was set in the mid 70's LA, so it was interesting to see how they did the period stuff like no cell phones but digital pagers, etc.    I enjoyed it enough to sit through it, but that's about all I can say.   

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

the little things -  It was decent but had some plot holes.  It was set in the mid 70's LA, so it was interesting to see how they did the period stuff like no cell phones but digital pagers, etc.    I enjoyed it enough to sit through it, but that's about all I can say.   

Thought Rami was miscasted and writing was lacking.

27 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

It was set in 1990. Plenty of cell phones around, they were just too bulky and expensive for most cops to carry.

Baby Reindeer. Wow - that was unlike anything I’ve seen and I think it’s about to blow up. Was it amazing? Possibly. I need to process, it definitely wasn’t what I expected. The fact this is based on a true story and the guy is playing himself is incredible. I’m excited to see what Surly thinks.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Baby Reindeer. Wow - that was unlike anything I’ve seen and I think it’s about to blow up. Was it amazing? Possibly. I need to process, it definitely wasn’t what I expected. The fact this is based on a true story and the guy is playing himself is incredible. I’m excited to see what Surly thinks.

In after second episode.  Certainly a different storyline.  Good, not great so far.  Wondering where it all goes, so will watch it all.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:47 PM, wutang75 said:

I thought it was really good. Definitely not what I expected.  The guy playing himself did a really good job.  

Watching 1st episode right now. She cray

really good and very well done.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Unlocked is a good for having on in the background while working.

Seemed to work much better than the 23 hours in their cells 1 out, but they definitely nitpicked the inmates chosen for a good outcome.  

On 1/17/2024 at 6:25 PM, Helobious said:

American Nightmare was released today. If you’re into true crime docs it’s the best one Netflix has come out with a while, absolutely insane story. And holy shit the police are evil. 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:15 AM, Tylerocks said:

I'm glad those folks sued the shit out of them and won.  Good for them.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:27 PM, Pam Cummings said:

Juxtaposed next to the actual PD that found the guy....that lady and her boss are natural born po-lice. They knew some shit was up and got to the bottom of it. Loved her.

3 months late, but holy goddamn shit. Could not agree more with the last two posts. 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:31 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’ve been enjoying Ripley quite a bit. I like the movie better but this series is beautifully shot and acted.

Agree. I may like it more than the movie but it has been a long time since I’ve watched. Just saw that Freddie is Sting’s kid. 

On 4/16/2024 at 6:09 PM, MissingInAction said:

Baby Reindeer 

Holy shit! 

I have no words.

I tried watching Baby Reindeer but only made it two episodes.

It's too frustrating.  If Donny had just done what 99% of the world's bartenders would have done if some fat, ugly chick walked in without any money, there wouldn't be a show.  Instead, he's a bumbling idiot, who insists on making the wrong decisions at every opportunity.

It's too frustrating.  If Donny had just done what 99% of the world's bartenders would have done if some fat, ugly chick walked in without any money, there wouldn't be a show.  Instead, he's a bumbling idiot, who insists on making the wrong decisions at every opportunity.

All true - but if you stuck it out that’s really the point of the show. He’s got issues - and the show is very self aware. He’s playing himself - he knows he’s got issues. If you crave attention so bad that she is appealing, you ain’t right.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

All true - but if you stuck it out that’s really the point of the show. He’s got issues - and the show is very self aware. He’s playing himself - he knows he’s got issues. If you crave attention so bad that she is appealing, you ain’t right.

Perhaps I'll try again with that in mind.  So far, I've just been feeling like this toward him..

latest?cb=20141107075332

18 hours ago, DixonHur said:

17 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Perhaps I'll try again with that in mind.  So far, I've just been feeling like this toward him..

latest?cb=20141107075332

Many of the opinions here about Baby Reindeer are from posters whose opinions I respect. Plus I heard about it from some real life humans that normally make good recs, so my wife and I sat down to watch it last night. 

We made it midway through the second episode and then clicked out. I found myself cheering for the disgusting tub of goo in dark ways because I despised the main character so much. Once I realized that my preferred ending, one in which she murders him violently and then commits seppuku in front of hundreds of appalled onlookers on a comedy standup stage, couldn’t happen because the dude is still alive, I lost all interest.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1