The greatness of the Instant Pot

Both Tacos

Lamb shanks are perfect for this type of cooking.

Tuscan Lamb Shanks with White Beans

INGREDIENTS 2 lamb shanks (2 pounds total) 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large onion, chopped 2 medium carrots, chopped 2 celery ribs, chopped 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 1 (14-ounces) can diced tomatoes in juice 2 rosemary sprigs 1 cup dried navy beans, picked over 3 1/2 cups water Equipment: a 6-to 8-quart pressure cooker Garnish: chopped flat-leaf parsley; extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling.

PREPARATION Pat lamb shanks dry and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in pressure cooker over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown shanks well, 1 at a time, transferring to a plate. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to pressure cooker and sauté until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice and rosemary and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in beans, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return lamb shanks to pressure cooker and bring to a boil. Seal lid and cook at high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions, 30 minutes. Put pressure cooker in sink (do not remove lid) and run cold water over lid until pressure goes down completely. Remove lid and discard rosemary, then transfer shanks to a cutting board and coarsely shred meat. Spoon bean and vegetable mixture into large shallow bowls, then top with lamb and sauce

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So more time to drink beer while cooking?

True, but you do have to be mindful of the impact of the pressure difference when translating traditional pressure cooker recipes into the electric cooker world or you might not be happy with the results once all the beer is gone.

12 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

What the hell is my wife looking at? Can't a man lick his phone screen?

Yes, recipe would be great.

Easy Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
Total Time
40 mins

This Easy Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is one of the easiest dinner ever! It’s creamy, succulent, ultra-flavorful, and easy to pull off. It comes together in about 30 minutes, which in my book, it makes it the perfect weeknight meal.

Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 622 kcal

Ingredients
  • 4 - 5 skinless boneless, chicken breasts
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour ,for dredging
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 oz mushrooms ,stemmed and halved
  • 1 shallot ,thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic ,minced
  • 2/3 cup Marsala wine
  • 2/3 cup chicken stock
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • Parsley to garnish
Instructions
  1. Put the chicken breasts on a cutting board and lay a piece of plastic wrap over them; pound with a flat meat mallet, until they are about 1/4-inch thick. You can also slice the chicken breasts in half or buy them thinly sliced.
  2. Put the flour in a shallow platter and season with a fair amount of salt and pepper and garlic powder; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. Dredge both sides of the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
  3. Turn the Instant Pot ON and select "saute" mode, adjust heat to more. When hot, add 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. When melted, Add the 2 - 3 chicken breasts into the pot and fry on each side until golden, turning once. Remove the chicken to a large platter in a single layer to keep warm. Repeat with the rest of the chicken breasts.
  4. Add the remaining oil and butter to the pot. When melted, add mushroom, shallots and garlic. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes, or until the mushrooms are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Press "cancel".
  5. Add Marsala wine and chicken stock to the pot. Mix to combine. Lay chicken on top of the mushrooms. Secure the lid to the instant pot. Close pressure release valve. Select "poultry" and adjust cooking time to 10 minutes.
  6. When the time is over, let the pressure release on its own for 5 minutes. Then, carefully turn the valve to "Venting," to release any extra pressure that might still be in there. Then remove the lid. Press "cancel"
  7. Transfer chicken to a serving plate and cover with foil to keep it hot, if desired.
  8. Select "saute" adjust to normal. Add heavy cream; mix to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Place chicken back in the sauce and continue to simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
  9. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. Serve hot.

I subbed some 2% milk and plain Greek yogurt for the cream. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Agreed.  I'm not convinced on the sous vide thing yet, but you guys have me convinced I need this.

If you're like us, you'll try to cook everything in it for the first month.  Eventually, we figured out what it did well and we now use it 3--4 times per month. 

21 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

We have one.  Worth it.  I have no fucking clue how it works, wife does it.  No pics.  But the short ribs she makes in it are fucking incredible.

This, exactly.

My wife made some kind of zesty tomatoey chicken/beans/rice/corn/onion combination for doing burrito bowl salads, and it was one of the best things I've had at home in awhile.

The other thing we've learned it that it is easy to make great stocks with these things.  Freeze your veggie and meat trimmings, leftover turkey and chicken carcasses, shrimp or crab shells, and the like from when you are doing your normal daily cooking prep.  Once you accumulate a good stash, make stock.  I've been making all my gumbo with homemade stock since we got our first one (we are now on our second one) around five years ago.      

I made some great butter chicken with it mine the other night. 

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/now-and-later-butter-chicken/

Butter-chicken-Vertical-683x1024.jpeg

I doubled the recipe.  Could have tripled it and had room.

I used thighs and cut each one into about 3 strips.  Also used salted butter and the coconut milk.   It was great and I have enough sauce left to simmer some more chicken later. 

BUT there is no way this recipe as is serves 4.  Not decently.  Maybe 2. 

• Like 2

Belize Stewed Chicken

• 8 pieces of chicken, seasoned (I use Goya Adobo and black pepper)
  • 1 large onion sliced
  • 6 Roma tomatoes, large dice
  • 2 green bell peppers, cut in large pieces
  • 2 cups of red potatoes cut in a large dice
  • 4 cloves of garlic sliced
  • 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1/3 of an achiote brick 
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp Worcester sauce
  • Salt to taste
  1. Set the Instant Pot on saute.  Brown each piece of chicken and remove to a plate.
  2. Saute the onions until cooked. Add garlic, bell pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin, until fragrant.
  3. Mix the achiote with the juice until it is dissolved. 
  4. Add chicken, tomatoes, potatoes, Worcester sauce and juice/achiote mix to the pot. Add about a 1/2 tsp of salt. 
  5. Set pressure for 18 minutes. Allow to naturally release pressure.
  6. Salt to taste.  Serve over rice.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 1

Instant Pot Brisket

Instant-Pot-Brisket4.jpg

This Instant Pot Brisket can be made in any electric pressure cooker or even a slow cooker. In this post, I show you how to cook a tender and juicy brisket using a flavorful rub and a few other tricks that will make it incredible.
 Course Main Course
 Cuisine American
 Prep Time 10 minutes
 Cook Time 1 hour 15 minutes
 Marinade Time 8 hours
 Servings 10 servings
 Calories 1157 kcal

Ingredients

• 4-5 lb flat cut brisket fat cap trimmed to 1/8"

Rub:

• 3 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions

1. Combine spice rub ingredients in a bowl and rub over the entire surface of the brisket. Place seasoned brisket on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8-12 hours. 
  2. Cook per your desired cooking method below. Remove cooked brisket from the pot and place on a baking sheet. Brush with your favorite bbq sauce and place under the broiler for a few minutes or until the sauce starts to caramelize. Alternately you can finish the brisket off on the grill. 

Instant Pot Cooking:

1. Cut brisket in half so it fits, and place 1/2 of the brisket in Instant Pot on wire trivet with the fat cap up followed by the remaining half. Add 1 cup water to the pot and set to cook at high pressure for 75 minutes. Allow a natural pressure release for at least 15 minutes and then you can manually release the rest. 

Slow Cooker:

1. Place brisket in the slow cooker and cook for 8-9 hours on low or until tender.

https://heatherlikesfood.com/instant-pot-brisket/

On 7/17/2018 at 4:54 PM, dcbc said:

There's another thread with recipes somewhere if anyone is interested.  This is the Chicken Marsala I made last night.  Turned out well.

R6_Gdqj_Vre4sj_d6hr0f_IIw9l2_TTCb_SHjv_K

Would stick my cock in that, maybe even yours even though not sure where it's been. 

12 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The other thing we've learned it that it is easy to make great stocks with these things.  Freeze your veggie and meat trimmings, leftover turkey and chicken carcasses, shrimp or crab shells, and the like from when you are doing your normal daily cooking prep.  Once you accumulate a good stash, make stock.  I've been making all my gumbo with homemade stock since we got our first one (we are now on our second one) around five years ago.      

Agree.  I used the stock from a pork butt that I made for pulled pork and used it as a stock for vegetable soup.  All that I had to do was strain the rendered fat.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Instant Pot Brisket

Instant-Pot-Brisket4.jpg

This Instant Pot Brisket can be made in any electric pressure cooker or even a slow cooker. In this post, I show you how to cook a tender and juicy brisket using a flavorful rub and a few other tricks that will make it incredible.
 Course Main Course
 Cuisine American
 Prep Time 10 minutes
 Cook Time 1 hour 15 minutes
 Marinade Time 8 hours
 Servings 10 servings
 Calories 1157 kcal

Ingredients

• 4-5 lb flat cut brisket fat cap trimmed to 1/8"

Rub:

• 3 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions

1. Combine spice rub ingredients in a bowl and rub over the entire surface of the brisket. Place seasoned brisket on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8-12 hours. 
  2. Cook per your desired cooking method below. Remove cooked brisket from the pot and place on a baking sheet. Brush with your favorite bbq sauce and place under the broiler for a few minutes or until the sauce starts to caramelize. Alternately you can finish the brisket off on the grill. 

Instant Pot Cooking:

1. Cut brisket in half so it fits, and place 1/2 of the brisket in Instant Pot on wire trivet with the fat cap up followed by the remaining half. Add 1 cup water to the pot and set to cook at high pressure for 75 minutes. Allow a natural pressure release for at least 15 minutes and then you can manually release the rest. 

Slow Cooker:

1. Place brisket in the slow cooker and cook for 8-9 hours on low or until tender.

https://heatherlikesfood.com/instant-pot-brisket/

No liquid smoke? GTFOH.

18 minutes ago, Orange^White said:

No liquid smoke? GTFOH.

I've actually done the liquid smoke approach with an electric pressure cooker on a small pork butt for a quick, low-key, "we need some pulled-pork sliders" lunch event.  It wasn't quite like Franklin's, but it worked out fine.

7 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Is there a huge difference in the models? I did a little looking earlier and Instant Pot duo 60 has good reviews and is 100 bucks on Amazon. Can I get a cheaper one that will still be alright?

I don't know for sure Zepol, but I think a big part of price is size.   I bought the segura and it works fine, but most of the recipes seem to be for the Instant Pot, which has different controls.   So you have to translate.   The segura was a little less at the time, but now it's in line with the others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I don't know for sure Zepol, but I think a big part of price is size.   I bought the segura and it works fine, but most of the recipes seem to be for the Instant Pot, which has different controls.   So you have to translate.   The segura was a little less at the time, but now it's in line with the others.

Our first one had a "non-stick" liner.  It wore out and started flaking.  Not good eats.  The one we have now has a stainless steel liner.  Much improved.  

• Like 1

My pro tip for making stocks or braises using pressure cookers is to use the pressure cooker as the first step of the process. Because pressure cookers are a sealed environment nothing you cook will reduce, and reducing any cooking liquid increases the flavor. For example, if you're making chicken stock for soup later, make the stock in the pressure cooker let it cool and put in the fridge or freezer for later. When ready to make soup, reduce the stock down by about 1/3. This is greatly enhance the flavor.

For braises, I will do a big pot full of beef short ribs braised in red wine and chicken stock. When they are done, I let them cool and put the pot in the fridge. The fat will form a barrier over the top of the pot like a confit, which will preserve the short ribs for a while. When I'm ready to make the short ribs, I remove most of the fat from the top of the pot and dump all the liquid in a saucepan and reduce the sauce down, when its almost done, add a chunk of butter and stir and add in the short ribs to come back up to temp. While the short ribs are good straight out of the pressure cooker, they are way better with this method. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mack Tripper said:

My pro tip for making stocks or braises using pressure cookers is to use the pressure cooker as the first step of the process. Because pressure cookers are a sealed environment nothing you cook will reduce, and reducing any cooking liquid increases the flavor. For example, if you're making chicken stock for soup later, make the stock in the pressure cooker let it cool and put in the fridge or freezer for later. When ready to make soup, reduce the stock down by about 1/3. This is greatly enhance the flavor.

For braises, I will do a big pot full of beef short ribs braised in red wine and chicken stock. When they are done, I let them cool and put the pot in the fridge. The fat will form a barrier over the top of the pot like a confit, which will preserve the short ribs for a while. When I'm ready to make the short ribs, I remove most of the fat from the top of the pot and dump all the liquid in a saucepan and reduce the sauce down, when its almost done, add a chunk of butter and stir and add in the short ribs to come back up to temp. While the short ribs are good straight out of the pressure cooker, they are way better with this method. 

Good points.  But I'm lazy.  I like to let the pressure cooker equipment do the work without having to clean/use a bunch of other pots and such.  After making the stock, I usually put the liner into a fridge overnight, take off the then-congealed fat layer, and reduce the remainder using the pressure cooker saute mode without the lid.  Then I strain and season. (I've learned the hard way about trying to season before reducing your stock!)

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 2:41 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Got the instant pot today and made this for dinner tonight.  Followed the recipe but it burned the fuck out of the rice.  what the hell did I do wrong?

9 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

For those thinking of pulling the trigger, Amazon still has the 6-quart on sale for $75 and it's currently in stock.

Motherfuckers.  I bought it on Thursday at $100.  and Amazon won't refund us the difference.  So I am buying it again today at $75 and when it arrives I am turning right around and returning it to them under the original order.  They are paying to ship a new one and paying to ship one back instead of just giving us the $25 back.  So dumb.