2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

57 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Don’t like the thermostat / thermometer thing. In my car when it gets hot, the thermostat opens up and lets all the water blow by it. That’s not what I want from my Oline.

Time to replace your thermostat.

The thermostat should open when more heat is needed, and open only enough to control the temperature at a specific set point. 

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

well i'm bummed about Mitchell.. I thought we had a really good player who had some rough edges to smooth out.. I mean UGA was trying to get him to flip all the way to signing day.

but if he doesn't put in the hard work and sacrifice.. (weight is just too much). so long :( 

I wouldn't write him off just yet. There's a good 6 solid months for him (and Savion too for that matter) to shave off extra pounds and improve conditioning. I wish there was more corroberating information to go along with his weight of 372 lbs. Most people trying to get stronger have a caloric surplus to add lean mass. It's not inconceivable the target intake was a little more than necessary. I would like to know if he has, indeed, gotten significantly stronger. What are his primary lift numbers, for instance, vs last season?

On another note, I'm curious how soon Alex January becomes a contributor. While I don't expect a true frosh to come in and light it up, I won't be surprised if he makes it into the rotation this season either.

Pic of Mitchell first day of Spring Practice. Doesn't exactly look like a tub of lard to me, but it's also true that large frames can hide or carry a fair amount of extra weight without showing as much. His midriff is a little puffy.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

wtf happened to Mitchell? Seemed like everyone was convinced he was destined for greatness and was DRASTICALLY underrated by all the recruiting services. We thought he was going to be what Sweat turned out to be. And now he's overweight, out of shape, and can't crack the depth chart. Wild shit....

Sometimes guys with lots of potential don't maximize that potential. They're teenagers when they're being evaluated, it happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Kool aid season already over?  

We have more kool-aid than we know what to do with. We're debating which fourth through sixth string dudes we'd rather not lose if given the choice. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Obviously, you didn't speak with his mom.

This may actually be a problem. 

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

well i'm bummed about Mitchell.. I thought we had a really good player who had some rough edges to smooth out.. I mean UGA was trying to get him to flip all the way to signing day.

but if he doesn't put in the hard work and sacrifice.. (weight is just too much). so long :( 

There may be a real health issue going on that, if resolved, help the player and team a ton. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First five today on the OL

LT Banks
LG Neto
C Majors
RG Campbell
RT Williams

Conner was working center.

Second round through Hutson was at the LG position with the 1st team.

Jesus. Christ.  Let’s fucking go boys 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There may be a real health issue going on 

You usually know more behind the scenes stuff. Couple that with 995ers saying he’s been under the weather… probably best to leave that alone and hope he gets what he needs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

I’m bummed to see Burrell on that list of names. Thought he might be someone who would come in and develop well and that might be the first time I’ve seen his named typed since his signing day. 

Y’all should read it differently than this. Burrell looks good and could be a starter down the line. There is too much talent ahead of him for that to be the case at Texas. 

Another thing I remembered is that the LB out of California that they are on, as far as traditional LBing,, is All American good. 

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Think he means this guy. His film is real good. He can really move. There is one funny play where he gets blown 5 yards off the LOS but he still makes the tackle (1:20). Not sure I would have put that one in there.

https://247sports.com/Player/matai-tagoai-46136825/

I don't watch a lot of hudl,  but I did watch his and he is a dog.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Y’all should read it differently than this. Burrell looks good and could be a starter down the line. There is too much talent ahead of him for that to be the case at Texas. 

Another thing I remembered is that the LB out of California that they are on, as far as traditional LBing,, is All American good. 

7 hours ago, tokamak said:

Think he means this guy. His film is real good. He can really move. There is one funny play where he gets blown 5 yards off the LOS but he still makes the tackle (1:20). Not sure I would have put that one in there.

Gerry was talking about him over the weekend.  Says he’s real underrated and looks like one of the best HS prospects at LB in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sith_horn said:

I wouldn't write him off just yet. There's a good 6 solid months for him (and Savion too for that matter) to shave off extra pounds and improve conditioning. I wish there was more corroberating information to go along with his weight of 372 lbs. Most people trying to get stronger have a caloric surplus to add lean mass. It's not inconceivable the target intake was a little more than necessary. I would like to know if he has, indeed, gotten significantly stronger. What are his primary lift numbers, for instance, vs last season?

On another note, I'm curious how soon Alex January becomes a contributor. While I don't expect a true frosh to come in and light it up, I won't be surprised if he makes it into the rotation this season either.

Pic of Mitchell first day of Spring Practice. Doesn't exactly look like a tub of lard to me, but it's also true that large frames can hide or carry a fair amount of extra weight without showing as much. His midriff is a little puffy.

spacer.png

He looks lighter than Sweat's 360lbs there.

Edited by HuntinHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I see the problem. One forearm is twice the size of the other. Never gonna shine with that kind of inconsistency.

I met Rod Laver when I was little. His left forearm was like Popeye's. My dad said he looked like a crab. 

Edited by mwaadeeb
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Busts happen.  The player needs to get in proper physical condition.  All the resources are there.

10 hours ago, tokamak said:

Maybe he meant Lefau. He is from Hawaii, not California, but has been mentioned as one of our best young linebackers we have.

14 minutes ago, Levi said:

Maybe he meant Lefau. He is from Hawaii, not California, but has been mentioned as one of our best young linebackers we have.

No, the guy he linked is the recruit I was referring. I'll bother learning how to say and spell his name if Texas lands him.

Folks are high on Lefau though, no doubt. I don't know if anyone is comparing him to former longhorn greats the way they are with the Cali recruit, but things look promising.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No, the guy he linked is the recruit I was referring. I'll bother learning how to say and spell his name if Texas lands him.

Folks are high on Lefau though, no doubt. I don't know if anyone is comparing him to former longhorn greats the way they are with the Cali recruit, but things look promising.

If we get one that can be compared to Nobis there won't be enough Kool aide to go around...

5 hours ago, HuntinHorn said:

He looks lighter than Sweat's 360lbs there.

He's huge. I was walking over to talk to Sweat and passed him on the way. They weren't standing next to each other but he was noticeably taller than Sweat and Sweat is a solid 6'4".

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He's huge. I was walking over to talk to Sweat and passed him on the way. They weren't standing next to each other but he was noticeably taller than Sweat and Sweat is a solid 6'4".

Thought experiment. Not advocating for it. What would Mitchell look like on the OL?

7 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

I met Rod Laver when I was little. His left forearm was like Popeye's. My dad said he looked like a crab. 

I knew a guy like that. He didn't play tennis though, just spent a lot of time on the internet.

image.png.1aafbbc5981b4b64d562441a6be9943b.png

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Immediate Wednesday practice news (Gerry OTF)

Spoiler

Amari Niblack is moving up in the rotation, as expected. 

Alex January is ahead of Sydir Mitchell in the rotation over the ball. 

Neto Umeozulu worked at first team left guard for second straight practice. 

Hayden Conner worked at center again today. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Texas newcomers continue to make presence known in fifth spring practice (Howe 247)

Spoiler

Texas newcomers continue to make presence known in fifth spring practice

Two newcomers stood out during the media viewing window in to Longhorns' fifth spring practice on Wednesday.

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas is only five practices into spring football, but Wednesday's workout at Denius Fields, which provided the third viewing opportunity for media members to see the Longhorns work, it's safe to say that the initial impressions of the newcomers have held up. The two true freshmen who stood out on Wednesday were Kobe Black and Alex January, both of whom look ready to contribute in 2024.

I watched Black work with Terry Joseph and the cornerbacks on defending passes thrown in the red area and the end zone. The 6-foot-2-inch, 204-pound Black is physically imposing, but I was impressed with how he had a plan with the ball in the air; on consecutive reps, Black was able to get his head around to find the ball without interfering with the receiver followed by him playing the hands of the receiver and knocking a ball away at the last second.

What might've been most impressive about Black's work in drills is the aforementioned reps came after Joseph got onto him for trying to intercept a ball and letting it go through his hands.

"We're going for a PBU," Joseph told Black. "Just knock it down."

That's what Black did during the group's individual periods with Joseph emphasizing locating the ball when it's in the air and/or getting in the right position to at least contest a catch. Malik Muhammad spent the viewing window with the training staff, Black, Gavin Holmes, Wardell Mack and Warren Roberson got extended work with Joseph, which could go a long way toward creating the kind of competition needed to ensure Muhammad and Terrance Brooks stay sharp.

Kenny Baker had the defensive linemen working on technique to separate at the point of attack and get off of blocks along with fighting off a double team. The 6-foot-5-inch, 324-pound January carries his weight well and while he was working behind the veterans in drills, it was clear that Baker was putting a lot of energy into getting January up to speed while the Duncanville product got more than one pat on the back from Alfred Collins for his effort.

I'm not saying Black and January are destined to shoot up the depth chart by the end of the spring. However, they've got the tools to have a role in helping Texas win games and compete for an SEC title.

— It was a rough viewing window for Jerrick Gibson. During ball security drills, he fumbled after getting popped hard by Kendrick Blackshire and Morice Blackwell Jr.

Gibson and Christian Clark both had drops when the running backs were running routes on air for the quarterbacks. Working ahead of the newcomers, Tre Wisner got a few loud pops out of Tashard Choice, who seemed to love the way Wisner attacked drills and executed when his number was called.

— One of the best moments of the morning was when Quinn Ewers fired a swing pass on point to Jaydon Blue. Choice couldn't contain his excitement.

"That's what I'm talkin' about!" he screamed. "I wish I could throw the football like that!"

— Ewers and Arch Manning were both sharp going through drills. I'd classify Wednesday's practice as business as usual for the quarterbacks based on what could be gleaned from the viewing window.

— One thing that stood out when watching the wide receivers work was how Matthew Golden seemed to attack the football with his hands. Everybody should love a receiver who not only believes every ball thrown in his area belongs to him, but Golden has the strong hands and the body type to be a guy who can make contested catches against the physical defensive backs he'll see face in the SEC.

— During the offensive line's individual periods while everyone else was doing special teams work, Kyle Flood had Hayden Conner working at center behind Jake Majors and Neto Umeozulu running with the No. 1 line at left guard. While Daniel Cruz is the program's center of the future, I like that Flood isn't leaving anything to chance when it comes to ensuring the Longhorns are prepared should something happen to Majors.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Second practice in a row starting 5 OL were:

LT Banks
LG Neto
C Majors
RG Campbell
RT Williams

Second team

LT Goosby
LG Hutson
C Conner
RG Stroh
RT Cojoe/Chatman/Baker hodge podge

Bobby doubles downs that Wingo will be a high NFL draft pick.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:28 AM, closetojumping said:

Tagoai is a jet off the edge, but still small. If he tipped 190 I would be shocked. Still a very good looking prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Choice has told folks that he has 5 future NFL TBs in his room, right now. He knows it sounds crazy. I think it's silly, but I haven't really seen Wisner outside of his ST prowess and a few garbage time plays, so what the fuck do I know? 

They are going to move the ball around a lot with all of these TBs and they are working on more 2 back stuff as well.

1) Chatman is taking the 2nd RT spot.

2) A long time scout of the area including UT says that Wingo is the best WR they've had on campus since Roy Williams. He can do shit that no one else can. They're working somewhat urgently with him to learn presnap reads and formation responses so that they can have him out there early and often next season. That's the biggest issue for Sarkisian playing freshmen and it is what limited snaps for Moore and Cook last season.

Bobby said that Wingo is a very smart player and should take well to coaching and learning, I believe the phrase was "he has IT between the ears." Seems by combining that with what you're saying here he's on the fast track to be starting at some point this season and top 15 pick in the draft in 3 years. 

When Manny Muhammed went out of practice Kobe Black was taking second team snaps. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Sounds like January has already passed Mitchell on the depth chart.  January looks to be a good one, but that does not bode well for Mitchell's future that an early enrollee has already moved past him.

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sounds like January has already passed Mitchell on the depth chart.  January looks to be a good one, but that does not bode well for Mitchell's future that an early enrollee has already moved past him.

Could also be a motivational tactic by coach Baker. I'm pretty optimistic about January though. Whether it's intentional on Baker's part or a byproduct of reality, we'll see how Mitchell responds over time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Hamilton said this morning that Cedric Baxter told him both he and Blue will hit 1000 all purpose yards this year. Sign me up.

Btw this isn't really as far-fetched as I thought initially. Brooks and Baxter combined for 2240 all-purpose yards last year.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

3 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Could also be a motivational tactic by coach Baker. I'm pretty optimistic about January though. Whether it's intentional on Baker's part or a byproduct of reality, we'll see how Mitchell responds over time.

Screenshot_20240327_164906_Chrome.jpg

Writing off anyone after less than a handful of spring practices is pretty dumb imo. We'll get a better idea of what's really going on after the spring game, but even that will give us limited info.

• immamac changed the title to 2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?