2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

edge vs EDGE

Run vs Pass.

Who gives a damn who starts. All those guys are playing. Situational substitution and matchups are what matter.

Same at TE. Same at RB. Maybe even G. Some at CB perhaps. Maybe some at S. And we might even start the occasional game with two TEs. And you never know when we might start with 3 LBs.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Linebacker

Really good depth and good 3-man rotation. "I'd put Texas' three linebackers up against anyone's." 

This statement is impossible to believe. I'm not saying it's not correct, I just can't believe it was said about Texas Football. 

Edited by Slacks
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Run vs Pass.

Who gives a damn who starts. All those guys are playing. Situational substitution and matchups are what matter.

Same at TE. Same at RB. Maybe even G. Some at CB perhaps. Maybe some at S. And we might even start the occasional game with two TEs. And you never know when we might start with 3 LBs.

But do we score in the redzone is what I want to know...

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

All depends on who we start in our red zone package

Well, we are losing Sweat and Murphy as triple threat blocker, running back, and receiver.

Saturday:  The Movers - OTF

Spoiler

We’re two weeks in to spring practice.

We’re hearing about some “movers” behind the scenes. And by that term, we mean players who are moving up the depth chart or who are changing the way they are perceived by teammates and coaches alike.

Here’s a quick rundown.

1. Tre Wisner RB - while Wisner is likely to play third fiddle to the mix of Jaydon Blue and Cedric Baxter, he could also be forcing himself on the field in a role not all that dissimilar to Keilan Robinson. Wisner is even more versatile than Robinson, because of his ability to truly play the RB position.

2. Matthew Golden WR - Consistent and reliable. Those are the words folks are using to describe the Houston transfer. Perhaps that shouldn’t be surprising. But it’s still good to hear.

3. DeAndre Moore WR - an afterthought by some prior to spring ball, Moore has attacked practice like the game means something extra to him. Coaches and teammates have taken notice.

4. Amari Niblack/Gunnar Helm TE - anyone thinking Helm would be passed over by the arrival of Niblack are mistaken. The senior from Denver is set to play a lot in 2024. Likewise, Niblack is finding his own niche as a gifted receiver. Both are moving in the right direction.

5. Neto Umeozulu LG - his move forward really started late last season, but it hasn’t stopped since. For the first time in two years, there is very real competition for the starting left guard spot.

6. Alex January DT - January has already moved ahead of Sydir Mitchell in the DT pecking order in practice.

7. Trey Moore DE - even with two returning starters at defensive end, the Longhorns will not be able to keep the UTSA transfer off the field.

8. Colton Vasek - oft hampered by injury, Vasek is finally seeing some action and looking the part.

9. Derion Gullette LB - Gullette is starting to make plays during live action.

10. David Gbenda LB - He is clearly someone Steve Sarkisian and staff are counting on, which is a clear change from just two months ago. He and Anthony Hill are your game one starters.

11. Gavin Holmes CB - Holmes played the run too soft a year ago and it put him behind a newcomer like Manny Muhammad. This off-season Holmes has taken the constructive criticism to heart and is trying to mix it up more often to prove he’s not a liability in the run game  

12. Jaylon Guilbeau Star - Guilbeau never really recovered from his knee injury two years ago. But now he’s performing at a better level.

13. Michael Taaffe  - do not discount his presence in the secondary. A year ago, everyone thought he might play *some*. This year, he is making the move to become the leader of the secondary as well as a team leader.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Hide contents

We’re hearing about some “movers” behind the scenes. And by that term, we mean players who are moving up the depth chart or who are changing the way they are perceived by teammates and coaches alike.

Here’s a quick rundown.

1. Tre Wisner RB - while Wisner is likely to play third fiddle to the mix of Jaydon Blue and Cedric Baxter, he could also be forcing himself on the field in a role not all that dissimilar to Keilan Robinson. Wisner is even more versatile than Robinson, because of his ability to truly play the RB position.

2. Matthew Golden WR - Consistent and reliable. Those are the words folks are using to describe the Houston transfer. Perhaps that shouldn’t be surprising. But it’s still good to hear.

3. DeAndre Moore WR - an afterthought by some prior to spring ball, Moore has attacked practice like the game means something extra to him. Coaches and teammates have taken notice.

4. Amari Niblack/Gunnar Helm TE - anyone thinking Helm would be passed over by the arrival of Niblack are mistaken. The senior from Denver is set to play a lot in 2024. Likewise, Niblack is finding his own niche as a gifted receiver. Both are moving in the right direction.

5. Neto Umeozulu LG - his move forward really started late last season, but it hasn’t stopped since. For the first time in two years, there is very real competition for the starting left guard spot.

6. Alex January DT - January has already moved ahead of Sydir Mitchell in the DT pecking order in practice.

7. Trey Moore DE - even with two returning starters at defensive end, the Longhorns will not be able to keep the UTSA transfer off the field.

8. Colton Vasek - oft hampered by injury, Vasek is finally seeing some action and looking the part.

10. David Gbenda LB - He is clearly someone Steve Sarkisian and staff are counting on, which is a clear change from just two months ago. He and Anthony Hill are your game one starters.

11. Gavin Holmes CB - Holmes played the run too soft a year ago and it put him behind a newcomer like Manny Muhammad. This off-season Holmes has taken the constructive criticism to heart and is trying to mix it up more often to prove he’s not a liability in the run game  

12. Jaylon Guilbeau Star - Guilbeau never really recovered from his knee injury two years ago. But now he’s performing at a better level.

13. Michael Taaffe  - do not discount his presence in the secondary. A year ago, everyone thought he might play *some*. This year, he is making the move to become the leader of the secondary as well as a team leader.

#13 on that list is going to trigger some folks. Surly lives to hate on cracker DBs.

Edited by TrashMaster G

2 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Wisner is even more versatile than Robinson, because of his ability to truly play the RB position.

what teh fuck does this bullshit even mean

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Surly lives to hate on cracker DBs

... who drop easy interceptions in critical games

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Hide contents

Here’s a quick rundown.

Surly is going to be fun if Taafe holds on to his starting role. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I will take that play to my deathbed being upset about it. I’m sure he feels it more than me though. Damn.

Oh, and then there's the one he caught in the title game against Bama that would've been a turnover on downs if he'd knocked it down.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Okay calm down about the past.

But doesn’t history repeat itself? I know on Surly, I hear the same story daily, like it’s being told by a senile old man.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Oh, and then there's the one he caught in the title game against Bama that would've been a turnover on downs if he'd knocked it down.

5 plays later Colt is injured. 

You gotta think the circumstances would have been different had he knocked down the 4th down INT and we get the ball on the Alabama 20….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

5 plays later Colt is injured. 

You gotta think the circumstances would have been different had he knocked down the 4th down INT and we get the ball on the Alabama 20….

I've thought about that as well. MFer probably cost us 2 NCs.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

God you motherfuckers are insufferable. Even for Surly 

I find that by sowing the seeds of nightmare seasons' past leads to me reaping the harvest of appreciation for the state of the program today.

It was no accident that years of neglect recruiting appropriately skilled Large Humans on the OL led to unnecessary hits taking their toll on our star QB in a national title game. Studs like Manning and Ewers aren't just here today because of the premier tutelage of Steven Sarkisian; they are here because due to what's going on with Flood and Choice, they will have time to learn and develop into that role without getting pulverized or having to dial back the learning to play hero-ball, like Ehlinger or Ash or both McCoys had to.

We can point the blame at single plays made by a smart but less-athletic safety, but if we'd recruited and developed at every position then the way we are doing now, those failures would be mere footnotes.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I find that by sowing the seeds of nightmare seasons' past leads to me reaping the harvest of appreciation for the state of the program today.

It was no accident that years of neglect recruiting appropriately skilled Large Humans on the OL led to unnecessary hits taking their toll on our star QB in a national title game. Studs like Manning and Ewers aren't just here today because of the premier tutelage of Steven Sarkisian; they are here because due to what's going on with Flood and Choice, they will have time to learn and develop into that role without getting pulverized or having to dial back the learning to play hero-ball, like Ehlinger or Ash or both McCoys had to.

We can point the blame at single plays made by a smart but less-athletic safety, but if we'd recruited and developed at every position then the way we are doing now, those failures would be mere footnotes.

One last failure we need to purge ourselves of is Michael Taaffe. He's unathletic, gets burned constantly, misses INT'S, catches what amounts to balls landing in his hands. If Mukuba can't unseat that dude, we're in trouble. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

One last failure we need to purge ourselves of is Michael Taaffe. He's unathletic, gets burned constantly, misses INT'S, catches what amounts to balls landing in his hands. If Mukuba can't unseat that dude, we're in trouble. 

How many times did Taafe get burned in 2023? Plays where it was his responsibility and he busted coverage? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Uh, that's bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Mukuba is a projected day 1 or 2 pick, Taaffe has no draft profile. Taaffe should make a good special teams player this year…

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

One last failure we need to purge ourselves of is Michael Taaffe. He's unathletic, gets burned constantly, misses INT'S

Are there 2-3 plays that stand out to you that we can discuss?

Just caught up on this thread.  I think it’s a bit pre-mature with some of the transfer noise.  If I had to pick the season starters at WR, it’s likely going to be Bond, Cook, Wingo, with Moore/Golden coming in with a heavy rotation.  Bolden is like 5’8 and 165 pounds.  I think we’ll see him in a Keilan role.  I’m not all that worried about Moore transferring.  Dude has it hella good with NiL here.  His whole family moved here and lives in Austin and they were helped with setting up a food truck business.  Based on all his interviews, the kid is beyond mature for his age and I don’t think he would bolt and leave the situation him and his family have here for more reps when he can wait another year and the playing time path will be there for him with Arch throwing him the ball.  Hell, dude may play himself into starting role this year with the way his teammates rave about him and his work ethics. A dude that shows up 30 min before everyone else to practice doesn’t sound like a dude looking to transfer when you add in NiL.

This DL is loaded.  Lots of pussy talk about sec blah blah blah.  Last time I watched us play an SEC team, I saw Ethan Burke abuse the SEC champs and Burke is only going to get better.  Collins, Sorrell, Burke will forsure get drafted.  Collins and Burke have a chance to be day 1 or 2 picks.  Collins needs to be consistent on the field, he has all the athletic traits.  Burke’s motor, measurables are what NFL scouts salivate about and dude has barely scratched the surface of his ability.  He’s on the Charles O trajectory but further ahead.  Sweat and Murphy being gone is definitely a downgrade but our edge position is stacked and our DT rotation is nothing sneeze at.  Outside of UGA, Bama, I’m not sure I would trade our DTs for anyone else in the SEC and that includes aggy.  Also sounds like Texas has a fat bag of cash ready for a DT portal candidate.  And if we land one, this roster has no weaknesses.  I would not trade our roster for any other school including Georgia.  

This is Jim Jones level Kool Aid and I’m drinking every drop!
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Mukuba is a projected day 1 or 2 pick, Taaffe has no draft profile

It's not about where you're projected to be; it's about where you are. Not saying Mukuba won't catch up to the changes on defense at least as fast as Taafe, but we don't know until we see them do it.

If projections were all that mattered, we'd have won a lot more games under Mack Brown.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

At safety we have Derek Williams, Michael Taaffe, and Andrew Mukuba followed by Jelani McDonald, Xavier Filsaime, and Jordon Johnson-Rubell.

At star we have Jahdrae Barron, Jaylon Guilbeau, Austin Jordan, and Jelani McDonald and Andrew Mukuba.

My guess is that Mukuba will see the field a ton as will Taaffe and Williams. Also, my guess is that safety play will be much better this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

God you motherfuckers are insufferable. Even for Surly 

Offseason is for lurking the recruiting board. For most of recent history the football board has also been good for laughing at spiked kool aid but I have been overserved myself this year so I've got nothing to say on that front.

Honestly, CR is a better place than the football board in the off season. It's an election year, after all. Never a dull moment.

• Prepare your anus 1

13 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't understand this sentiment.  Taaffe was our most consistent and productive safety last year.

The color of his skin and the past sins of his position coach should not be held against him.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I don't understand this sentiment.  Taaffe was our most consistent and productive safety last year.

The color of his skin and the past sins of his position coach should not be held against him.

It's more that he was a walk on and thus, theoretically, not athletic enough for a scholly.

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Mukuba is a projected day 1 or 2 pick, Taaffe has no draft profile. Taaffe should make a good special teams player this year…

Well the coaches love the kid, and I'm afraid.they'll start him, which Michigan will make Orji look like Peyton Manning if they pick on him. 

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

It's more that he was a walk on and thus, theoretically, not athletic enough for a scholly.

I think a lot of the time people don't understand the person in question was originally a walk-on, and is thus overachieving in a huge way. See, Jett Bush. 

6 hours ago, B00M said:

Are there 2-3 plays that stand out to you that we can discuss?

2-3? Go look at the entire season where he was picked on constantly. He's slow as fuck, takes shitty angles, gets burned, but I guess those 3 INT'S make up for it since they landed in his hands at the perfect time.