2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

For the season there were 162 QBs that qualified searching 20% of 212 dropbacks as a minimum.

QE was 155 of 162 with the lowest pressure rate. Nix was 162. Beck 161. Bowman 160.

QE was 25th highest in sack per pressure. Shedeur was 20th. Of all the guys in the top 25, only 4 others had a pressure rate in 20% range.

QE was at 23.7% pressure rate. 24.3% sack per pressure.

I can’t quote with certainty but from what I can recall in looking mid-to-late season that the pressure rate was lower and the sack per pressure rate was higher at that time.

I don't have hard data to support this, but Ewers certainly seemed to "self sack" a lot more this season than he did in 2022. Could that be a product of him becoming more confident? It seems like he's holding the ball longer and looking for receivers, giving the opponent DL time to get to him or otherwise walking into the sack. In 2022, he seemed to panic a bit more and dump the ball off more quickly. 

It seems like he still needs to nail down his internal clock, and that holding the ball too long this season is a response to not holding it long enough last season. Maybe 2024 he finally hits that "just right" phase of timing the play.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If Cook is smart, and I think he is, then he realizes he was behind the two fastest WR’s in the nfl draft on the depth chart, and is more than ready to carve out his legacy starting in 2024. 

I am just pointing out his sack per attempt was dramatically lower in his first year, based on attempts... He was solid at avoiding sacks that year, some argued to careful at the time. Just odd 

It was probably part caution but part just throwing it and hoping for the best.

In 2022 his average time to throw was 2.44 with an average depth of target of 10.5 yards.

In 2023, those were 2.57 and 8.4.

He threw screens 18.2% of the time in 2022 versus 18.1% in 2023. So you wouldn’t think that would significantly adjust the average time to throw or depth of target.

In 2022 he got rid of it quicker and threw it deeper. Part of that Worthy tracking issue likely goes hand in hand with this. QE was too rushed and threw the ball before his pass catcher was ready. In just the OSU game, you saw Bijan, Roschon, Whitt, Sanders all had instances of the same. It wasn’t just Worthy. I don’t recall the breakdown but essentially no one got rid of the ball that quickly and threw it so far downfield than QE in 2022.

His pressure rate in 2022 was 22.6% (23.7% in 2023). His sack rate per pressure was 13.9% in 2022 (25.2% in 2023 - not sure why it’s different than what I quoted in previous post).

He likes to decide and throw quickly. His average time to throw when kept clean was very similar each year. So the real difference was he was more patient in trying to make something when pressured in 2023. And that resulted in more frequent sacks but more first down scrambles too.

i don't have it for 22 and thats just sacks per attempt, not sacks per pressure which is the real info to have/know.
either way, it's been discussed in the past. it's a known thing about him

That stuff I quoted was PFF. They have the sack per pressure info.
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't have hard data to support this, but Ewers certainly seemed to "self sack" a lot more this season than he did in 2022. Could that be a product of him becoming more confident? It seems like he's holding the ball longer and looking for receivers, giving the opponent DL time to get to him or otherwise walking into the sack. In 2022, he seemed to panic a bit more and dump the ball off more quickly. 

It seems like he still needs to nail down his internal clock, and that holding the ball too long this season is a response to not holding it long enough last season. Maybe 2024 he finally hits that "just right" phase of timing the play.  

Does anyone have his wtf was he thinking throw rate for 22 vs 23? That may be the answer. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Looks like “Travis Scott and Michael Rubin Teach Business and Entrepreneurship 101” ended a little bit ago. What a world.

The CEO is of Michell and Ness is a Texas EX so UT was always going to be a part of this deal. 

7 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Where’s our ctj update on dropping the hammer?

It’s the other guy’s move. If he never follows up, that was it, just sweet and thoughtful ctj being polite and reasonable and that guy eventually realizing maybe he was wrong and tucking tail. 

• Haha 4

But also PFF pressures is such an odd thing and I don’t think it’s very accurate at all. See our pressures vs Penix. 

Their exact definition of how it’s recorded is not known to my knowledge but should have some consistency across all games/teams.

I know there have been pressure rates quoted from elsewhere that vary. They’re just working under different methods.

From what I gather, multiple players can have a pressure on one play in PFF whereas as others may look at it as only one per play. So if Murphy and Burke both whiff on a QB on the same play, each gets credit for a pressure. No idea what constitutes a pressure though.

The value would be in its relation to the rest of its own database with data created under the same methodology.

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The CEO is of Michell and Ness is a Texas EX so UT was always going to be a part of this deal. 

Pieced up, creased up, stayin' dressed to impress. Big boss belt buckle under my Mitchell and Ness.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

It was probably part caution but part just throwing it and hoping for the best.

In 2022 he got rid of it quicker and threw it deeper. …QE was too rushed and threw the ball before his pass catcher was ready. In just the OSU game, you saw Bijan, Roschon, Whitt, Sanders all had instances of the same. It wasn’t just Worthy. I don’t recall the breakdown but essentially no one got rid of the ball that quickly and threw it so far downfield than QE in 2022.

He likes to decide and throw quickly. 

“just throwing it and hoping for the best.”

This year, the last 3 quarters v. OU and 1st half against Hou, QE completion rate was 90+ %.

There are numerous throws he made as the receiver was coming out their break, where he anticipated where the receiver would be and delivered a perfect throw in stride.

Can he improve? Certainly.

But there was nothing close to Mike “find the ball and go up and get it” Evans on the Texas roster the last 2 years. Fuck that hoping the best bs.

His anticipating and missing has as much to do with the receivers be off schedule as much as it has to do with the throws.

Maybe he could wait another 2/10ths of a second before throwing it. Maybe is doesn’t want to chance a 250 lb meat head driving him into the ground because of a weather vane whiff by the OL.

QE throws as catchable ball as well as anyone QB I’ve ever seen.

He's certainly proud of his stuff.  The hat is $58 and the t-shirt is $68.
May just be me, but the shirt graphics look like something from the 80's. Of course for 18-25 year olds that may be a plus for all I know.

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

This year, the last 3 quarters v. OU and 1st half against Hou, QE completion rate was 90+ %.

There are numerous throws he made as the receiver was coming out their break, where he anticipated where the receiver would be and delivered a perfect throw in stride.

But there was nothing close to Mike “find the ball and go up and get it” Evans on the Texas roster the last 2 years. Fuck that hoping the best bs.

His anticipating and missing has as much to do with the receivers be off schedule as much as it has to do with the throws.

Maybe he could wait another 2/10ths of a second before throwing it. Maybe is doesn’t want to chance a 250 lb meat head driving him into the ground because of a weather vane whiff by the OL.

I've been waiting for an Evans to show up on the Forty because some football coach had enough sense to find a power forward rebounder and let him make [ANYQUARTERBACK] a Heisman winner. Worked for Johnny Foosball.

5 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I hope he makes a move and someone didn’t clue him in. I was quite entertained and waiting for the trap to spring. 

Either way, bravo so far. 

I was so hoping it was someone here, as CTJ was, trolling his ass. Wish I had thought of it dammit 

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If Cook is smart, and I think he is, then he realizes he was behind the two fastest WR’s in the nfl draft on the depth chart, and is more than ready to carve out his legacy starting in 2024. 

I saw an interview he did on a podcast and he pretty much said this. I think he will have a breakout year. He seems hungry and ready to shine.

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Is Travis Scott his real name and Cactus Jack his rapper name? 

I saw a promotion on instagram for Cactus Jack performing and I wondered what Mick Foley was going to be doing….

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Wow. That is a surprisingly dark joke for the official twitter account. Unless they completely spaced on the reference. 

What did I miss? Besides the fact that I don’t know who Travis Scott is

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Is this a record for Texas in terms of allowing leadoff batter on base 8 straight innings?? Unreal 

38 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Is this a record for Texas in terms of allowing leadoff batter on base 8 straight innings?? Unreal 

35 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Duplantier while losing is not the ideal relief scenario. Need a 7-10 run cushion for him. 

I’m crying at the timing of this post 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Travis Scott is also selling Coug High and aggy merch, but I don’t see anything about him visiting in person. 

I’m not a fan, but it’s good publicity targeted at recruits. Plus he’s not Drake so no curse. 

He visited LSU in person but it didn't get this publicity/hype

9 hours ago, NoName said:

you aren't the target audience lol but i had to click on it thinking the same

image.png.e21314ae1877bfe1a730b16d9d5898b2.png

The hat is clean.  Would definitely cop if the price was reasonable.  The shirt is a no go but kids are into 80/90's vintage nowadays. 

Well first off I was responding to another post that was referencing 2022 not portions of 2023. It was within the context of referencing why QEs sack rate was lower in 2022 than 2023.

Here’s something else to ponder. Why in the fuck is it that Worthy’s tracking skills were an issue in only 1 of the 3 seasons and 1 of 3 QBs? And that 1 QB it wasn’t even all the time. I’d even wager that you’ll never see a better ball tracking example than Worthy on that Bama TD. He ran a long way, the ball traveled a long way, and caught it damn near with his turned from the point at which it originated. Another example was this year, maybe Rice, when the ball traveled 80 yards in the air, and he caught it a yard out of bounds (not his fault it was oob).

In a subsequent post, I even referenced other players being surprised or caught guard off at the arrival of a pass. In that season of 22, not 23. One hit Roschon in the damn head.

Yes, that’s all part of timing/route running. I’ve referenced it previously that QE is often anticipatory thrower. It looks great when it works but less so when not. As an inexperienced dude, he was a little anxious but that improved in 23 and will likely in 24. Probably anxious to avoid hits. A little too excited at times perhaps.

I gave numbers to support the theory. A theory as to why his sack per pressure was high relative to his peers in 23 but was far less so in 22. I made no declaration as to his overall abilities.

Sorry, I don’t know if you’re Joel Klatt, Joe Montana, Todd Dodge and Bobby Burton rolled into one. I’m glad he throws the most catchable ball you’ve seen but not sure how that’s supposed to wow me. But there are numbers to say that his ball in actuality to date , at this level, is around 65-70% catchable. The catchable rate in 22 was probably not as high as in 23.

I look forward to your next bolded post. Perhaps throw in some italics, underlines so I can tell if you really mean it.
  • Haha 1