2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

26 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s true, Laramie will not be on scholarship next year. We just closed on a huge NIL deal with Pantene that will make Laramie the highest paid shampoo influencer in Travis County. We didn’t want to give up the scholarship at first but it’s going to be given to a player who will be transferring in. I can’t say who but let’s just say that it will be going to a wonderful young man who has been in the transfer portal a few times but is an amazing teammate and even better friend, just ask Harvdog. 

Episode 8 GIF by The Simpsons

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

That honestly kind of sucks for Bert.

I obviously don't know all of the specifics or what he is being compensated via NIL, but scholarship athletes get different benefits than non-scholarship athletes. On the surface, based on his production, he deserves to be on scholarship and benefit from NIL.

Scholarship players get more conditioner?

1 hour ago, OnAComputer said:

Is it doomer if I feel like this year's team to last year's team will be like 2009's team to 2008's team?

pretty much everyone who watched both of those teams knows 2008 was a better team. The 2009 team did more but lost a number of key players from 2008 on both sides of the ball. However, this year's secondary may make up for losing the DTs and we are able to use the portal to bandaid losing guys. Still, it seems like last year's team felt more complete earlier at every position (aside from safety). This probably also has something to do with my personal beliefs that WR, OL, and DL are - if not the - some of the most important positions in CFB. I'm thinking Gbenda and Hill can step into Ford's spot, but you never know what you have until it is gone.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

pretty much everyone who watched both of those teams knows 2008 was a better team. The 2009 team did more but lost a number of key players from 2008 on both sides of the ball. However, this year's secondary may make up for losing the DTs and we are able to use the portal to bandaid losing guys. Still, it seems like last year's team felt more complete earlier at every position (aside from safety). This probably also has something to do with my personal beliefs that WR, OL, and DL are - if not the - some of the most important positions in CFB. I'm thinking Gbenda and Hill can step into Ford's spot, but you never know what you have until it is gone.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about really. No way Safety is the only spot.  

DE is way more complete with Trey Moore in the fold. He’s a big upgrade over what we had last year, plus we return Burke and Sorrell and have Simmons ready to play a specialty role. 

This team is also more complete at OL this year. Yes, we have to replace Jones, but Hayden fucking Conner started all last year. Improving at RG and returning 3 starters with more depth is much more complete.

Same for CB. We have to replace Watts, but Watts was a very limited CB. Muhammad will be much improved and ready to break out this year with Brooks another year older on the other side and Holmes as a quality backup for both spots. We also have Guilbeau behind Barron and elite freshmen  like Mack and Black. 

I’d also say we’re better at QB. Quinn will be in Year 3 of the system, which makes a big difference, and I’d take 2nd year Arch over 2nd year Murphy at backup. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i'd say its more like this year's team is 2008 and last year was 2009. this team should be more talented at every position group other than DT.

The room has plenty of potential, but last year’s pass catchers have to be considered better than what we’ll have this year too. 

That should be offset by better QB/OL play

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

Is it doomer if I feel like this year's team to last year's team will be like 2009's team to 2008's team?

In 2008 we finished 3rd-4th and in 2009 we made the championship game.  In 2023 we finished 3rd-4th and in 2024 we will make the championship game.  I'm in.  Hopefully Ewers stays healthy.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/16/2024 at 10:32 AM, MuellerHorn said:

That honestly kind of sucks for Bert.

I obviously don't know all of the specifics or what he is being compensated via NIL, but scholarship athletes get different benefits than non-scholarship athletes. On the surface, based on his production, he deserves to be on scholarship and benefit from NIL.

I'd be very surprised if Bert isn't being compensated in excess to make up the difference. This just gives Sark flexibility to add another portal piece. 

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

The room has plenty of potential, but last year’s pass catchers have to be considered better than what we’ll have this year too. 

There won't be a Worthy or Mitchell level man beater this year. 

What there will hopefully be is a 3rd, 4th, and even 5th guy who can produce. Last year the 3rd receiver was a quality possession guy and when they needed a 4th to produce it wasn't there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

i'd say its more like this year's team is 2008 and last year was 2009. this team should be more talented at every position group other than DT.

I’m not sure that’s the case at WR. At least early in the season. 

Edit: I see this has been addressed. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

27 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

There won't be a Worthy or Mitchell level man beater this year. 

What there will hopefully be is a 3rd, 4th, and even 5th guy who can produce. Last year the 3rd receiver was a quality possession guy and when they needed a 4th to produce it wasn't there. 

How do they compare to:

Dwayne Jarrett*    SO    WR    91 Rec, 1274 Yds, 14.0 Avg
Steve Smith*    JR    WR    60 Rec, 957 Yds, 16.0 Avg
Brad Walker    SO    WR    
Chris McFoy    JR    WR    17 Rec, 172 Yds, 10.1 Avg
Patrick Turner    FR    WR    12 Rec, 170 Yds, 14.2 Avg
Greig Carlson    SR    WR    1 Rec, 14 Yds, 14.0 Avg
William Buchanon    SR    WR    
Dominique Byrd*    SR    TE    29 Rec, 306 Yds, 10.6 Avg
Fred Davis    SO    TE    13 Rec, 145 Yds, 11.2 Avg
Jimmy Miller    FR    TE    3 Rec, 8 Yds, 2.7 Avg

Re Bert - Wasn't there some rule that if a walkon gets a certain number of snaps he counts against the 85?  Or maybe I'm getting it confused with a rule that if a 2 sport athlete plays he counts against the higher revenue sport's allocation.

Seems like this is a loophole you could drive a truck through for skirting the 85 man limit.  

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

Re Bert - Wasn't there some rule that if a walkon gets a certain number of snaps he counts against the 85?  Or maybe I'm getting it confused with a rule that if a 2 sport athlete plays he counts against the higher revenue sport's allocation.

Seems like this is a loophole you could drive a truck through for skirting the 85 man limit.  

Dual sport athletes count against the football scholarship, other than that walk-on's aren't limited in any way, but dress and travel limits are still enforced.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Dual sport athletes count against the football scholarship, other than that walk-on's aren't limited in any way, but dress and travel limits are still enforced.

I thought the football squad size bullshit T&L limitations are by conference, not NCAA?

Still... let him pay his own plane fare and hotel bill, problem solved. Oh, and he'll need a ticket to get into the stadium, right?

17 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I'd be very surprised if Bert isn't being compensated in excess to make up the difference. This just gives Sark flexibility to add another portal piece. 

Dance Celebrate GIF by Sesame Street

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2