Most annoying instrument?

Paul Wesley

Sometimes that works out.

I have a deal with my daughter. Make all the noise you want whenever you want trying to make music. Doesn’t bother me in the least. I suspect you did as well. You never know what might take.

Mine has taught herself how to play piano. The other day she sent me a video of her playing Songs she sang in the shower. I nearly fell over.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

The other day she sent me a video of her playing Songs she sang in the shower. I nearly fell over.

Yeah, I had a kit that I bought on the cheap for recording, and when she was 7-ish I heard her in my music room bashing away.  She had really steady tempo.  (She had done dance for years already, but there was still a natural component.)  I asked her if she'd like to take drum lessons, she was all for it, so I found a guy with a master's in percussion and he taught her from the ground up . . . first the rudiments on snare, then basic rock kit styles, onward and upward.  He was a HUGE factor in her progression.  To this day when you watch her on stage she has outstanding, efficient technique.  Ultimately she had an offer to study marimba at UT but chose psychology instead.

To your story, she also is self-taught on guitar, piano, ukelele, and writes really good, sophisticated songs, in a Fiona Apple vein.  The first I heard was her at maybe age 10, in our master bath shower, writing her first song on her ukelele.  I was dumbfounded.  It was really strong, especially for that age.  Great hook, meaningful lyrics.  I wasn't about to kick her out.  You gotta let them find their way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

ff915dc3755f851db9dbcc159d5408c5.jpg

Since we appear to be veering into Blame the Musician territory for the instrument being annoying, I nominate Acoustic Guitar with flat B string flailed on by Hippy Who Came to Party Alone as he eyes the crowd and sings "Love the one you're with."

• Like 3

Since we appear to be veering into Blame the Musician territory for the instrument being annoying, I nominate Acoustic Guitar with flat B string flailed on by Hippy Who Came to Party Alone as he eyes the crowd and sings "Love the one you're with."

Second the nom.
  • Drool 1

Will this take care of the fight between the G and B string? If so it is a miracle. I had always heard it is because of the tempered scale of guitars vs other instruments. I should post on "I did not know that" thread. I'm going right now to get my SG and a file.

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 9:26 AM, tbone_ said:

I have a deal with my daughter. Make all the noise you want whenever you want trying to make music. Doesn’t bother me in the least. I suspect you did as well. You never know what might take.

Mine has taught herself how to play piano. The other day she sent me a video of her playing Songs she sang in the shower. I nearly fell over.

That’s amazing.  I love to hear that.  For me, I’ve never once thought their squawking was an imposition. Honestly it might be the clearest view of my affection and love for them since they were really small.  Completely helpless and trying to learn new things. Awkward, bad at it, infant like at it clearly.

now, when I want to stop and cherish a moment it’s listening to them make music with out them knowing I’m listening.  It’s beautiful.

Once it’s that vulnerable, it’s easy to awshucks it or poke mild fun at the squawking. But deep down… nah, it’s the best moments. 

edit - my French horn player was asked to play in an invite only orchestra. It’s amazing to see him progress. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Fucking hell, that made me bust out laughing.  The build up before the recorder kicked in was tremendous.

mother of god scratch my ears until they bleed.

Probably the vuvuzela (mentioned twice above).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela
But I also cannot stand the Fender Rhodes electric piano, particularly in a rock band in a bar and played out of tune to the rest of the band.  That's truly one of the worst sounding experiences ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes_piano

As with many things in this thread, in the right hands is a critical consideration. The Rhodes keys can be iconic. I think you’re attributing the blame to the instrument when it should be to the musician.

Not an FR but years ago bought a Wurlitzer EP from a music store that was next to Kmart on East Wm. Cannon, I couldn't play a.lick but loved just pounding on it just for the sound of it.  Been watching a lot of videos on YT of some of these old school electric pianos. 

I just got a targeted ad on social media for a “mini cajon.”

And it kind of made me happy, in the sense of “Well, obviously you data-sucking corporate bitches don’t know *everything* about me, now do you?”