Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Damn 

70 grade raw power, 70 grade arm, 65 grade speed, 60 grade glove.  Walks enough.  All about contact profile to determine whether he’s a superstar, a solid regular, a bench player, or a AAAA guy.

Edited by Snake Diggity

Been dreading and basically indifferent about 7:05 the last few weeks. But I feel the thrill coming back. Not because Loperfido is any kind of savior because he isn’t. But finally making some moves to be proactive and try to get things going is  like a fresh start. I think, and hope, the time of sitting back and hoping and wishing things will fix themselves is over. Plenty of talent still here. But every team needs to be proactive at times to keep winning. We need to play the rest of the year 30 games over .500. Let’s go. #Relentless

• Hook 'Em 4

58 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Been dreading and basically indifferent about 7:05 the last few weeks. But I feel the thrill coming back. Not because Loperfido is any kind of savior because he isn’t. But finally making some moves to be proactive and try to get things going is  like a fresh start. I think, and hope, the time of sitting back and hoping and wishing things will fix themselves is over. Plenty of talent still here. But every team needs to be proactive at times to keep winning. We need to play the rest of the year 30 games over .500. Let’s go. #Relentless

spacer.png

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)

May schedule talk:

not to sound too hyperbolic about a stretch of games the first week in May, but the stretch between now and next Thursday is pretty important. 
2 more with the Guardians 

3 with Seattle

3 at Yankees

Winning each of those series means a 5-3 start to the month and 7 below .500.

Then the schedule lightens up a bit with Detroit, before returning home for our longest homestand of the year with Oakland, Milwaukee, and LA Angels. 
Finish the month with 7 games at Oakland and Seattle (before opening a series on 5/31 back at home against Minnesota).

Over the past few years, Seattle feels like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare —slowly but consistently getting better—and I think we’re going to have some knock down, drag outs with them all year. Would be huge to jump out to 4-3 or 5-2 on them this month.

But overall, the best records in the AL in April were 19-10. With our schedule in May, pitching staff coming back together, rotten luck we’ve endured for most of April, and shedding Abreu and whatever happened to him there is no reason in my mind that we can’t replicate that and flip our 4/30 10-19 record to match that 19-10 and be back to .500 by June 1

CLE 1-1

SEA 4-3

NYY 2-1

DET 2-1

OAK 5-2

MIL 1-2

LAA 3-0

MIN 1-0

= 19-10

3 game win streak kool-aid tastes so good. 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

May schedule talk:

not to sound too hyperbolic about a stretch of games the first week in May, but the stretch between now and next Thursday is pretty important. 
2 more with the Guardians 

3 with Seattle

3 at Yankees

Winning each of those series means a 5-3 start to the month and 7 below .500.

Then the schedule lightens up a bit with Detroit, before returning home for our longest homestand of the year with Oakland, Milwaukee, and LA Angels. 
Finish the month with 7 games at Oakland and Seattle (before opening a series on 5/31 back at home against Minnesota).

Over the past few years, Seattle feels like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare —slowly but consistently getting better—and I think we’re going to have some knock down, drag outs with them all year. Would be huge to jump out to 4-3 or 5-2 on them this month.

But overall, the best records in the AL in April were 19-10. With our schedule in May, pitching staff coming back together, rotten luck we’ve endured for most of April, and shedding Abreu and whatever happened to him there is no reason in my mind that we can’t replicate that and flip our 4/30 10-19 record to match that 19-10 and be back to .500 by June 1

CLE 1-1

SEA 4-3

NYY 2-1

DET 2-1

OAK 5-2

MIL 1-2

LAA 3-0

MIN 1-0

= 19-10

3 game win streak kool-aid tastes so good. 

29-0.. 1916 Giants be damned 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Exorcised some demons tonight.  

No shit. I believe we were 1-11 our last 12 games that have gone to extras, dating back to last season.

Moreover, I believe that may have been our first big clutch hit of the year. Was talking with my Astros group chat and nobody could recall another time this season we had a go-ahead HR late in a game or anything similar. Definitely our only walk-off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was reading about Loperfido some more and his problematic K rate. One thing I read is not so much that he whiffs a bunch, but apparently he takes a ton of strikes looking. I know at least one of his K's last night was staring at Strike 3. Hopefully being a little more aggressive at the plate is something that can be taught.