from the "holy shit, I'm old" department, Rockford Files premiered 50 years ago

Gil Bang

Such a great show, but even back then, I remember thinking commiefornia was a fucked up state.

That was after the episode where some lowlife piece of shit climbed up the ladder on the outside of Jim's trailer to rob him, but fell off the ladder, hurt himself and then sued Rockford.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Such a great show, but even back then, I remember thinking commiefornia was a fucked up state.

That was after the episode where some lowlife piece of shit climbed up the ladder on the outside of Jim's trailer to rob him, but fell off the ladder, hurt himself and then sued Rockford.

wait 'till you see the episode about the "tort reform" governor in the wheelchair with millions in the bank from his lawsuit.  That one's a hoot!

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

wait 'till you hear the one about the "tort reform" governor in the wheelchair with millions in the bank

The same governor that keeps telling sleepy joe and his appointees to go fuck themselves? No complaints here.

And wtf does that have to do with a Cali state law from 50+ years ago? What's next, confederacy smack? 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, rage-a-holic said:

The same governor that keeps telling sleepy joe and his appointees to go fuck themselves? No complaints here.

And wtf does that have to do with a Cali state law from 50+ years ago? What's next, confederacy smack? 

you're the asshole that went all political on a fucking TV thread.  Go fuck yourself.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

40 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

You were having these thoughts 50 years ago? How fucking old are you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, F250 said:

You were having these thoughts 50 years ago? How fucking old are you?

He's so old that he can't even  remember who was Governor of "commiefornia" when "Rockford" came out. 

(hint)

330px-Official_Portrait_of_President_Rea

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

He's so old that he can't even  remember who was Governor of "commiefornia" when "Rockford" came out. 

(hint)

330px-Official_Portrait_of_President_Rea

Oh right, because part of Reagan's reforms from 67-75 was ensuring criminals could sue property owners for injuries during burglaries. 

But keep on sucking that dick.

I remember at about age 4 watching the final episodes with my father as he was a James Garner fan.  And then having very serious discussions with him regarding tort reform.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Take it to the DT, bro.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

You realize it was a syndicated show? With reruns? 

Back when? This doesn't imply that you were watching it on Nick at Nite.

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

image.png.3355fdcc675cf75a96a10f931021c820.png

Damn...50 years.... feeling old as shit now.  He's another guy whose role as a PI started on Rockford Files.

Lance fucking White.

And Richie Brakelman started on RF also. 

I've seen a million episodes of Rockford Files, but I couldn't I remember exactly when I watched them.  I was just slightly too young for first-air primetime viewing. 

Wikipedia conveniently had the answer:

Universal began syndicating the show in 1979 and aggressively marketed it to local stations well into the early and mid-1980s. This accounts for its near-ubiquity on afternoon and late-night schedules in those days.

The free-range children of the early '80s watched whatever we wanted on afternoon TV. (Of course since we didn't have cable, there was Gillian's Island, Hogan's Heroes, and the Rockford Files.) 

Also, my memory of Beth Davenport was that she was much hotter than what Google Images indicates. 

Made a trip to Universal studios back in 1976 as a kid. Jaws and a little known Robert Shaw flick called Swashbucker were all the rage. I snapped a photo of the Rockfordmobile while there. Will post up next time I visit mom.

BTW. Great vibes from the theme. I known it was Mike Post et al but sounds like a combo of Eagles and French horn 

Also, so common and ubiquitous was the Rockford Files opening, that even in the mid 80's I was able to a bit on it:

This is Jim Rockford, after the tone leave a message.

Jimmy, this is Angel, I just left your place, yeah I have a key, but we can sort that out. Anyway I took a dump and th toilet overflowed, but there was no plunger. Sorry about that....

Bu da dump.....

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

And Richie Brakelman started on RF also. 

I liked that character as a kid. I wonder how many people remember that series. I was thinking it ran for more than 1 season, but wiki says it only got 5 episodes after his introduction on the two-hour Rockford episode.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:21 PM, Gil Bang said:

853 OKG motherfuckers.  Angel Martin is one of the best TV characters ever. 

MV5BNGU3NmE4YjEtZTBjZS00YmQ4LTg5ZWMtNTc3

It doesn't feel that old because the actors lived a long time.  Angel and the LT seem to have just died.  

also 

https://slate.com/culture/2014/07/the-rockford-files-episode-that-inspired-the-sopranos-1979s-just-a-coupla-guys.html

11 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

It doesn't feel that old because the actors lived a long time.  Angel and the LT seem to have just died.  

also 

https://slate.com/culture/2014/07/the-rockford-files-episode-that-inspired-the-sopranos-1979s-just-a-coupla-guys.html

Yep, I remember Angel popping up on an episode of 30 Rock and I couldn't believe he was still alive. 

image.thumb.png.a46cac8ea9999a564805625bbc46aa3b.png

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

You knew in almost every episode either Rockford or his car or both were going to suffer some damage.

Did any title character of a hit TV show get his ass kicked more frequently than Jim Rockford? I’m thinking that’s an Usain Bolt-level 2nd place finish…