UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

Just now, bolverk said:

You do realize the only violence related to the war that has occurred in the vicinity of UT was a Palestinian student being stabbed a couple of months ago, right?

Yep.  Doesn't mean Jews don't feel threatened on campus right now.  

Education, is about providing a safe place for the exchange of ideas.  This doesn't feel like that to me.  

But as mentioned before, I'm kinda anti-protest anyway.  I think they are completely pointless.  They're basically just bitch fests and only fuel hatred on either side.  

Go do something productive with your time.  Something that actually makes a difference.  Vote differently, run for office, for a non-profit to help Palestinians.  

When was the last time a protest changed anything? Changes require active effort, but most people are too lazy for that.  They think holding a placard and chanting slogans is gonna change the world.  Spoiler...it won't.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Why are you being an ass? I haven't even used the term fascism in this thread. If you want to learn about the law, I'm happy to explain things to you. But right now it seems like you're just here to troll. 

I apologize if I'm confusing you with someone else.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know the answer so this is an honest question. Are people affiliated with the university or outside of the university who were arrested for, but were not charged for, sexual assault banned from campus? Do campus police have a list or something?

I would recommend everyone read the Tribune article if you haven’t already. It’s a fairly balanced account of the situation.

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/24/ut-austin-israel-hamas-war-palestine-student-arrests/

Yes there were tents. Yes the protestors violated rules. But yes, there was an over-reaction to the situation. So in reality, like everything these days, the truth is somewhere in the middle, as opposed to the over the top viewpoints expressed by many. But ultimately, the university did not handle this well. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I would recommend everyone read the Tribune article if you haven’t already. It’s a fairly balanced account of the situation.

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/24/ut-austin-israel-hamas-war-palestine-student-arrests/

Yes there were tents. Yes the protestors violated rules. But yes, there was an over-reaction to the situation. So in reality, like everything these days, the truth is somewhere in the middle, as opposed to the over the top viewpoints expressed by many. But ultimately, the university did not handle this well. 

This is basically my position...but I'm a finance guy, not an essayist so my points are admittedly clunky at times.  

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

You do once you start blocking access to buildings and walkways.

Here’s what the law says about protesting on Texas college campuses | The Texas Tribune

As has been stated, my understanding is that obstructions were the result of police instructions. Would be interested to learn different. Posted to thank you for the image of tent assembly, thoughI am still wondering how I can be certain that photo was taken at UT.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, cause that's what's happening.

I'm talking about not being able to be against hormone treatments for children without being labeled transphobic or anti-gay.

While I am willing to concede your point, I am left wondering why your concerns are more relevant than those of the people involved. Do you join other Surly posters in dismissing the conclusions of doctors and national institutions?

I have another question, concerning immigration. Do you make a distinction between immigrants seeking asylum and immigrants disregarding the law? My understanding is that asylum seekers are the reason we are witnessing immigrants overwhelming our infrastructure. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, cause that's what's happening.

I'm talking about not being able to be against hormone treatments for children without being labeled transphobic or anti-gay.

Here’s a thought. Maybe doctors know better than you or I  whether those treatments would be helpful. Certainly they know better than Dan Fucking Patrick. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yep.  Doesn't mean Jews don't feel threatened on campus right now.  

Education, is about providing a safe place for the exchange of ideas.  This doesn't feel like that to me.  

But as mentioned before, I'm kinda anti-protest anyway.  I think they are completely pointless.  They're basically just bitch fests and only fuel hatred on either side.  

Go do something productive with your time.  Something that actually makes a difference.  Vote differently, run for office, for a non-profit to help Palestinians.  

When was the last time a protest changed anything? Changes require active effort, but most people are too lazy for that.  They think holding a placard and chanting slogans is gonna change the world.  Spoiler...it won't.

I thought you macho men were against safe spaces?   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Comparing it to fascism isn't helpful.

Not to you, maybe. But to anyone trying to understand what is happening in this country, it’s unfortunately very helpful. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@DixonHur I think you are doing a great job of defending your position that is clearly at odds with many people without trolling so kudos. /endmodmode

I also think you are missing the point here, this happened to specifically accomplish one thing: silence an unwanted opinion being vocalized on campus.

This wasn’t done for student safety, keeping the sidewalks unobstructed for finals, or any other literal answer that is sunshine and rainbows you can pull out of your ass.

It was done to show that “Texas doesn’t fuck around with terrorist supporting liberal children, and we will expel them from school and do our best to ruin anyone who opposes our stance or commands”

that’s the issue. In a vacuum this happens and people would literally be so WTF about it you would be arguing against your damn self right now, but mix in the national media attention/agenda, the current geopolitical climate and situation and poof everyone turns their distracted rage brain on and forgets what actually happened

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

As has been stated, my understanding is that obstructions were the result of police instructions. Would be interested to learn different. Posted to thank you for the image of tent assembly, thoughI am still wondering how I can be certain that photo was taken at UT.

While I am willing to concede your point, I am left wondering why your concerns are more relevant than those of the people involved. Do you join other Surly posters in dismissing the conclusions of doctors and national institutions?

I have another question, concerning immigration. Do you make a distinction between immigrants seeking asylum and immigrants disregarding the law? My understanding is that asylum seekers are the reason we are witnessing immigrants overwhelming our infrastructure. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Always happy to indulge in honest debate.

Regarding trans, I don't think the doctors know much more than the rest of us at this point.  To be clear, I'm not anti-vax or anti-doc...I simply believe not enough study has been done.  Let's not forget the medical community also endorsed smoking, cocaine, heroin, lobotomies, etc., so forgive me for being a bit skeptical until the science progresses.

As for immigration, I'm against mass immigration regardless of reason.  This is one of my seemingly paradoxical beliefs.  I don't believe any government is legitimate.  Now, to be clear I'm not a Sovreign citizen type.  I recognize the authority of the state exists, I just don't think it should exist.  To me governments are no different than organized crime.  But I digress.  

So, the fact that nations do exist, means that we need to take care to make sure the nation has a culture, because that's what holds them together.  And while immigrants are essential to a flourishing and dynamic culture, adding too many too quickly doesn't have a great track record in history.

Just now, Nivek said:

I thought you macho men were against safe spaces?   

Lol, what does that mean?  Where have I ever claimed to be a macho man, whatever the hell that is.  Thanks for the laugh though.

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Not to you, maybe. But to anyone trying to understand what is happening in this country, it’s unfortunately very helpful. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Why the fuck do I keep reading a primary excuse for the riot police was to keep things open and safe for Final Exams?  This happened on Wednesday, 24 April.  Final Examinations don't even start until 2 May. 8 days later.  Did Governor Abbott's feet write this calendar press release?  

Just now, immamac said:

I also think you are missing the point here, this happened to specifically accomplish one thing: silence an unwanted opinion being vocalized on campus.

Not missing the point, just saying that I don't think it's as big of a deal as some others.  

It happens all the time.  Is that good?  No, but it's not really bad either since I maintain protests serve little purpose but to annoy other people.

Nothing gets solved by people shouting at each other or holding signs.  Never has, never will.  

So, for instance, if a cop wants to pull a climate protester out of the middle of the road so I can get home from work, I'm all for it.  Selfish?  Sure, but so is the protester.  

When you get to the point that you want to actually do something constructive to solve the problem?  I got your back.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Captainant said:

So you don't care about the deprivation of 1st amendment rights by the State because you don't value the 1st amendment?

Cross post from CR...

See this is where you, and probably others, don't get me.  This isn't the big brain argument.  This is the "this is the way the world is" argument. 

My big brain argument is probably closer to yours, so call it submitting, or giving up, but through my study of history and philosophy, I've come to the conclusion that shit ain't gonna change so I prefer to work within the system, not against it.  

In my early 20's I was a pro America, pro Texas Navy man who genuinely thought I was saving the world and protecting democracy around the world.

Then from my late 20's to mid-40's I was an uber liberal who thought I was saving the world through love, peace and recycling.  Then Trump happened, and I realized this is all just tribal war, governments are organized crime, and I just don't have time for it anymore.

I have a lot of thoughts on how things should be, but unless there is a global disaster that wipes out all governments, I don't think any of them can be put into practice.

21 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not missing the point, just saying that I don't think it's as big of a deal as some others.  

It happens all the time.  Is that good?  No, but it's not really bad either since I maintain protests serve little purpose but to annoy other people.

Nothing gets solved by people shouting at each other or holding signs.  Never has, never will.  

So, for instance, if a cop wants to pull a climate protester out of the middle of the road so I can get home from work, I'm all for it.  Selfish?  Sure, but so is the protester.  

When you get to the point that you want to actually do something constructive to solve the problem?  I got your back.

real estate is about location, location, location.  Politics: demographics , demographics, demographics.  

If we get granular on demographics, blood will hit the fan, things will get REALLY ugly.  All of it will be the nastiest forms of generalizations, some will be idiocy, some will be brutally true.  

to your point, nothing can be done unless demographics are on your side.  That's glacial change on a lot of issues, be it foregin policy, economy, gay rights, whatever.  I agree that protesting isn't very useful. To me it's the mark of the have nots - ever see rich white folks protest anything? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

That's glacial change on a lot of issues

And frankly, that's how I think it has to be.  Every instance of massive, fast change in history leads to war.  That's probably hyperbole, but I can't think of any examples where it's not true.

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Is that right? Cause it doesn't sound right. Us GenX think all this shit is fucked and wish that you would leave us alone and to our own devices as society did when we were growing up. 

From pew. 

image.thumb.png.3e3466d3a86e2dca230554d8725eddea.png

Electorally elder Gen Xers have pretty consistently delivered the biggest margins for Republicans in recent years. Similar to how Millennials are overwhelmingly Democratic but you wouldn't know from in this chart, that independent bloc is full of consistent Republican voters.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Reading this makes it sound like you were a liberal until Trump cane into power

Yeah, I think that's a fair characterization.

I left the US when Trump was elected...moved back with Biden.  But support neither now.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Electorally elder Gen Xers have pretty consistently delivered the biggest margins for Republicans in recent years. Similar to how Millennials are overwhelmingly Democratic but you wouldn't know from in this chart, that independent bloc is full of consistent Republican voters.

That feels pretty accurate just based on my anecdotal experience in politics among my generation (I'm a younger GenXer).  Feels like we're actually getting, as a peer group, more independent in our middle age.  Still politically active, but just ministers without portfolio.  But like with suburban voters, the proof is the pudding of education/exposure.  I've beat this drum to death, but the most educated and exposed my generation is, the more likely they are to be politically active and the more against stupidity and ignorance they seem to be.  Certainly still have very smart and cultured friends and networks that will continue to be on the wrong side of history, but on the whole---our generation, with degrees and enlightenment seem to be independent, but still active civically.  Not good, bad, or indifferent.  Just is.  Suburban/Exurban women with college degrees and a modicum of respect for others from GenX will continue to drive election results for the next 20 years.  And perhaps, rightfully so.  The rest of us are just looking for the least shitty options.  

I think I keep making posts about this because it helps me work out my own shit.  But I still, to this hour, keep forgetting that I am blessed to live and work and have children that attend schools surrounded by very educated people.  Not folks I agree with on everything, but I spend almost every waking minute around really smart  and engaged people.  My daughters hang out with children of physicians and engineers and attorneys.  They won't know a life of being surrounded by ignorant, uneducated stupids.  It doesn't make them better than those unwashed masses. it makes them lucky.  And for that, I give thanks.  

Edited by YGIFS

52 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Always happy to indulge in honest debate.

Regarding trans, I don't think the doctors know much more than the rest of us at this point.  To be clear, I'm not anti-vax or anti-doc...I simply believe not enough study has been done.  Let's not forget the medical community also endorsed smoking, cocaine, heroin, lobotomies, etc., so forgive me for being a bit skeptical until the science progresses.

As for immigration, I'm against mass immigration regardless of reason.  This is one of my seemingly paradoxical beliefs.  I don't believe any government is legitimate.  Now, to be clear I'm not a Sovreign citizen type.  I recognize the authority of the state exists, I just don't think it should exist.  To me governments are no different than organized crime.  But I digress.  

So, the fact that nations do exist, means that we need to take care to make sure the nation has a culture, because that's what holds them together.  And while immigrants are essential to a flourishing and dynamic culture, adding too many too quickly doesn't have a great track record in history.

Lol, what does that mean?  Where have I ever claimed to be a macho man, whatever the hell that is.  Thanks for the laugh though.

Thanks for the frank and honest response. I confess confusion at the notion that any government is illegitimate, and need to express the importance I give to those seeking asylum due to threat in their home countries. 

While I can’t fault your suspicion of novel science, my question remains. What business is it of yours?

Your thoughts are appreciated. I am left, however, wondering I f the tent image was taken at it.

Posted (edited)
Just now, Willfully Horn said:

Thanks for the frank and honest response. I confess confusion at the notion that any government is illegitimate, and need to express the importance I give to those seeking asylum due to threat in their home countries. 

The reason I say governments are like organized crime, and therefore not legitimate is because for the bulk of human history we lived without borders, without government.  Sometimes there were cheiftons, but rarely did the cheiftons have any real power outside their immediate presense...and often without enforcement capabilities.  The worst that could happen to you is be banished by the tribe.  But aside from mating purposes that really didn't mean much since you were already hunting/gathering food anyway.

But then schizmogenesis started to take hold and people started forming clans.  Then came warrior clans who started decimating other clans, and so on and so on...

Mind you this was happening at different times in different places, but fast-forward and it lead to where we are today where people are compelled by force to obey.  Don't think you should be responsible for paying for a billionaire's new sports stadium?  Too bad, give us money or go to jail.  Wanna smoke a plant? Nope...we don't like that...have fun in prison.

While I can’t fault your suspicion of novel science, my question remains. What business is it of yours?

I can concede that point.  It's not my business.  And I would never vote against it...I just personally disagree.  And I think that's how it should be.  For example, I'm firmly pro-choice.  And in the same spirit, I would have zero problem with someone who is personally pro-life, as long as they don't force me to abide by their beliefs.  I'm against it...doesn't mean I don't think others can be for it.  Full disclosure, I have a very close friend who's trans.  But she transitioned later in life.

Your thoughts are appreciated. I am left, however, wondering I f the tent image was taken at it.

I was going to ask what you meant, but I think "it" was meant be "UT"....yes, that pic is 100% UT.  You can tell by the building in the background...and maybe the Academy Sports logo.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The reason I say governments are like organized crime, and therefore not legitimate is because for the bulk of human history we lived without borders, without government.  Sometimes there were cheiftons, but rarely did the cheiftons have any real power outside their immediate presense...and often without enforcement capabilities.  The worst that could happen to you is be banished by the tribe.  But aside from mating purposes that really didn't mean much since you were already hunting/gathering food anyway.

But then schizmogenesis started to take hold and people started forming clans.  Then came warrior clans who started decimating other clans, and so on and so on...

Mind you this was happening at different times in different places, but fast-forward and it lead to where we are today where people are compelled by force to obey.  Don't think you should be responsible for paying for a billionaire's new sports stadium?  Too bad, give us money or go to jail.  Wanna smoke a plant? Nope...we don't like that...have fun in prison.

I can concede that point.  It's not my business.  And I would never vote against it...I just personally disagree.  And I think that's how it should be.  For example, I'm firmly pro-choice.  And in the same spirit, I would have zero problem with someone who is personally pro-life, as long as they don't force me to abide by their beliefs.  I'm against it...doesn't mean I don't think others can be for it.  Full disclosure, I have a very close friend who's trans.  But she transitioned later in life.

I was going to ask what you meant, but I think "it" was meant be "UT"....yes, that pic is 100% UT.  You can tell by the building in the background...and maybe the Academy Sports logo.

Thanks. No argument, but also, agree to have a different opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Flabbergasted by this. This reads to me like you're saying you'd rather us abandon our society based on the rule of law? Do you consider yourself an anarchist?

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes there were tents. Yes the protestors violated rules. But yes, there was an over-reaction to the situation. So in reality, like everything these days, the truth is somewhere in the middle

What a lazy fucking bullshit analysis. “One side violated silly rules without harming anyone, the other violated constitutional rights by force. Both sides were wrong!”

Do you work for the New York Times?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, 'stache said:

For the record I’m generally against precluding those speakers based solely on the content of their hate speech, same here, the hypocrisy is fucking maddening. It’s a fucking constant from that side, one set of rules for them, and another for “others.” So for that alone, Abbott wheel lickers are scum of the earth.

It's almost like they want to be protected by the law, but not bound by it. Ya know, totally normal things for a Liberal Democracy 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Sorry if this has already mentioned, but as far as the argument that Jewish students might feel threatened, keep in mind that Abbott and Magastans crusade for “free speech on campus” started with attempts to preclude hateful right wing nut jobs from speaking on campus because Black and LGBTQ students often felt seriously threatened. The response was a resounding “fuck your feelings, first amendment bro.” For the record I’m generally against precluding those speakers too based solely on the content of their hate speech, same here, the hypocrisy is fucking maddening. It’s a fucking constant from that side, one set of rules for them, and another for “others.” So for that alone, Abbott wheel lickers are scum of the earth.

It was never about principled free speech. It was about trolling the Libs. And, of course, supporting Nazi bullshit.

• Like 1

You know Governor, there is a staff member that serves as the connector between the UT Schustermann Center for Jewish Studies and the Department of Diversity & Community Engagement.  They were there to facilitate promote academic study and ethnic relations.  As well as a place where Jewish students could go for help if they ever felt intimidated or targeted or wanted to produce an event or invite a speaker.  

Because of your anti-DEI bill, that person was terminated and the position eliminated.  

• Like 3

Also news update: Hartzell backpedaling is in full swing 

https://www.kut.org/education/2024-04-26/ut-austin-protest-arrests-campus-ban

Students arrested at UT Austin this week will be allowed back on campus for any purpose, a university spokesperson said, reversing earlier statements.

The spokesperson, Brian Davis, had said students charged with trespassing during protests would not be allowed on campus. Two hours later, he said those affiliated with the university could come to campus for "academic reasons," including to take final exams and study.

Later Friday evening, UT Austin sent a statement saying students would have complete access to campus. People arrested at the protest with no connection to the university are still banned.

Davis told KUT students arrested during the pro-Palestinian protest could later face discipline, including restrictions to campus access. The university said it typically doesn't send these kind of notices during finals so students aren't distracted.

10 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, I think that's a fair characterization.

I left the US when Trump was elected...moved back with Biden.  But support neither now.

So you were one of the only people that did what they said they would do if Trump were elected.

😊

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/26/ut-austin-arrest-fox-7-photojournalist/

Texas DPS could pursue criminal investigation into photojournalist arrested at UT-Austin protest

The FOX 7 employee is accused of hitting a trooper with his camera, but the arrested man told reporters he was pushed and didn’t hit any officer.

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Texas DPS could pursue criminal investigation into photojournalist arrested at UT-Austin protest

The FOX 7 employee is accused of hitting a trooper with his camera, but the arrested man told reporters he was pushed and didn’t hit any officer.

how is far right FOX-Austin handling this on air? critical of authority?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This is shithole country behavior. You have cops that do this type of thing everywhere but only the shitholes double down instead of just trying to forget the whole thing happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DixonHur said:

And frankly, that's how I think it has to be.  Every instance of massive, fast change in history leads to war.  That's probably hyperbole, but I can't think of any examples where it's not true.

Slow methodical change is great when you are not the one being victimized.   

13 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I hope you are completely missing it.  I hope you haven't realized is that there is a joining of oppositional positions on this issue, and they are not joined based on a policy towards Israel, but on a policy that the University should not be suppressing students from exercising their rights in a peaceful manner.   It is not about their message.  Is it not about if their strategy or campus protests are impactful.   What people are upset about is that our Governor, The University President, used an arm of law enforcement to suppress the lawful rights of individuals, assaulted them, battered them, and arrested them under false pretenses.   Full stop.   

You don't think it is a big deal, but we do.  The government's resources are to be used for the public good, not for the political whims of the elected and appointed, and certainly not to deprive individuals of their rights.   This will not stop here.   

If you understand these points and consider yourself an American, then you should care.   Because these are fundamental parts about the identity of this society.  That doesn't mean you have to be a flag fucker.   It doesn't mean you have to put the Founding Fathers on a pedestal.  But if you give a shit about leaving a legacy for our children that we live in an open and self-deterministic free society,  then give a shit about authoritarianism tactics being used by the state, even against those you dislike and despise.

BTW, I am with you on people protesting in highways fucking traffic up for everyone else.    But let's not conflate one group with another just because they have some alignment.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

@DixonHur if you think governments are organized crime, then why don’t you care when they step over the guardrails that are there to constrain them?

organized crime takes all of their power by force, then uses it to continue taking power. 

our governance has power because we gave it to them, with restrictions.  The restrictions are important and we can’t be dismissive when they are ignored. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

how is far right FOX-Austin handling this on air? critical of authority?

I haven't been paying attention, they don't get my local news eyes, but I was under the impression that local Fox outlets weren't necessarily aligned with the FOX News perspective.  More generic, less insane.

14 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

real estate is about location, location, location.  Politics: demographics , demographics, demographics.  

If we get granular on demographics, blood will hit the fan, things will get REALLY ugly.  All of it will be the nastiest forms of generalizations, some will be idiocy, some will be brutally true.  

to your point, nothing can be done unless demographics are on your side.  That's glacial change on a lot of issues, be it foregin policy, economy, gay rights, whatever.  I agree that protesting isn't very useful. To me it's the mark of the have nots - ever see rich white folks protest anything? 

I mean every spring we have a mega thread on how to protest property tax hikes 😂