UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

to me, a Zionist shouting kill jews is much more interesting.   

If he's a Russian agent, then he's blood brothers with Trump, who I presume you support.  Hell the Republicans love Russia too. Hmm...

Even if he's a Russian agent, he's right about Israel.  I only watch his videos about Israel/Palestine, not really concerned about other issues. This thread isn't about Russia or China btw. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ie61pfsmr1jfny2k2l2

4 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

If he's a Russian agent, then he's blood brothers with Trump, who I presume you support.  Hell the Republicans love Russia too. Hmm...

Even if he's a Russian agent, he's right about Israel.  I only watch his videos about Israel/Palestine, not really concerned about other issues. This thread isn't about Russia or China btw. 

Blumenthal launched his outlet following a 2015 trip to Moscow where Mike Flynn received 45,000 dollars to speak.

So yes, you’ve stupidly realized you’re swimming in a sewer it’s just that you like the taste of the turds.

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Blumenthal launched his outlet following a 2015 trip to Moscow where Mike Flynn received 45,000 dollars to speak.

So yes, you’ve stupidly realized you’re swimming in a sewer it’s just that you like the taste of the turds.

not a good response at all. Max's views on Israel are not the same as his views on Russia. Even if he's a Russian bot, so is Trump and MTG and many of your Republicans, even so, that's irrelevant to Israel.  Present something relevant to this thread, thanks. 

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

do we want a separate thread for the UTD campus action going down at this moment?

the thread is titled "UT"

the UT Dallas campus has blown up in the last hour

it's live on all DFW local tv

Has DPS been sent in?

i can't figure out how far behind youtube is from the live feed

there is a couple dozen in riot geat but can't tell where they are

from the replays it looks like utdpd are the ones that destroyed the camp

there is a single standoff line of 200 protesters and the riot gear force

jewish students getting in the middle of it - their right to escalate but stupid if you ask me

• Hook 'Em 1

I cant understand what the fuck they are chanting. Something like "hey hey, ho ho, Deion Branch has got to go". I'm not sure if they  are aware that his last season was 2012. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

do we want a separate thread for the UTD campus action going down at this moment?

the thread is titled "UT"

the UT Dallas campus has blown up in the last hour

it's live on all DFW local tv

Probably a few more ruffians at UTD vs UT Austin I imagine.  I had soccer practice at UTD when i was a kid in mid 80's, Classic League played most of the games there and it was a windy ass patch of grass that place was built on,  3rd and 4th year only college back then.  All grown up now, protests and everything

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Godwin Law yo!

He's not Hitler.  Let's talk about where Max B. (Jewish BTW) is wrong about Israel. 

Since you invoked Godwin, please consider his thoughts, as he expressed in a WAPO editorial, which is found at the link. Here’s an excerpt:

Godwin’s Law has also functioned, to quash appropriatecomparisons of today’s horrors to the 1930s and 1940s? I continue to insist that Godwin’s Law should never be read as a conversation-ender or as a prohibition on Hitler comparisons. Instead, I still hope it serves to steer conversations into more thoughtful, historically informed places.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/12/20/godwins-law-trump-hitler-comparisons/

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Since you invoked Godwin, please consider his thoughts, as he expressed in a WAPO editorial, which is found at the link. Here’s an excerpt:

Godwin’s Law has also functioned, to quash appropriatecomparisons of today’s horrors to the 1930s and 1940s? I continue to insist that Godwin’s Law should never be read as a conversation-ender or as a prohibition on Hitler comparisons. Instead, I still hope it serves to steer conversations into more thoughtful, historically informed places.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/12/20/godwins-law-trump-hitler-comparisons/

i agree, but just observing that a conversation ended with Hitler does not necessarily mean the conversation is demanded an end by either party.  

4 hours ago, royiv said:

Has DPS been sent in?

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

"you failed Uvalde! Shame on you!". "why are you in riot gear?"

Sad to me, need to focus on the topic/

Master class in trolling

I think the liberation shit is stupid (Nobody in Israel is going to see or hear this stuff or care about it), but DPS getting trolled is always good.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Yeah, to repeat myself repeating myself.  Their approach is bordering on moronic, but if they peacefully stir shit up---I'm all for it.  But that Uvalde thing is.........chef's kiss.  

Some poor student is gonna lose a hemisphere of their brain over it by next week from a half dozen batons, but kudos on the originality of the taunt.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This was supposed to be here, posted in the other thread by mistake

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-photojournalist-facing-two-misdemeanor-charges-after-ut-protest/

An Austin photojournalist who was arrested while covering a protest on the University of Texas Austin campus on April 24, is facing two misdemeanor charges– assault and interference with public duties, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Court documents previously showed he was facing a felony charge of assault on a peace officer. Additional documentation showed that warrant was canceled.

KXAN spoke to Sanchez, who identified himself as Carlos and said he worked with Fox 7, as he was led away in handcuffs during the April 24 protest.

“They said that I hit an officer. I didn’t hit an officer. They were pushing me. They were pushing me,” he said. “This never happened to me, you know what I mean? I was just covering things… I told them I was press.”

In the statement provided Wednesday, DPS said Sanchez was “seen moving towards a DPS Trooper, then lunging and striking the Trooper with his camera in the lower head and neck area.” Furthermore, the agency said video evidence showed Sanchez was not pushed, and there were not objects in front of him that “would have caused him to trip making contact with the Trooper.”

Full statement from DPS

This morning, 43-year-old Carlos Giraldo Sanchez, of Austin, Texas, met with Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Special Agents and was charged with two misdemeanors – assault and interference with public duties – he was then booked into the Travis County Jail. These charges stem from Sanchez’s actions during last week’s protest at the University of Texas (UT) Austin campus.

According to multiple video and witness statements, Sanchez is among a group of protestors as law enforcement officers work to disperse the group from campus. He can be seen moving towards a DPS Trooper, then lunging and striking the Trooper with his camera in the lower head and neck area. Video evidence also shows Sanchez is not pushed and it appears there are no objects that would have caused him to trip making contact with the Trooper.

The department understands a journalist’s right to cover events of the day, and we work to ensure those rights are protected while also upholding the laws of this state. While journalists should be provided access, it is never acceptable to interfere with official police duties and assaulting an officer of the law – no matter the degree – will never be tolerated. DPS will always work to ensure the safety of our officers. Both law enforcement officers and journalists should be expected to do their jobs in a professional manner – and we strongly believe a line was crossed last week when one of our Troopers was assaulted while trying to do his job.

• Rage+1 1

On 4/30/2024 at 11:09 AM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

it's not racist or antisemitic to shout at Jewish students. They are fair game and it's not because they are Jewish but showing signs of being pro Israel such as a sign or wearing the Israeli flag. Then again, calling them "kike" is too much and racist, but "Zionazi" is ok with me.  

On 4/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the pro-Pals should not hinder movement of anyone, into buildings or grass fields, but there is nothing antisemitic about being against Israel, shouting at Jewish students, or even wanting to destroy Israel. 

11 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

So which is it?
Is it ok to yell at jews or not. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So which is it?

enemies of the united states do not identify as anti-christian, so why is anyone who is critical of israel an anti-semite?

more than half of israel are really pissed off at likud but here we are in 2024, israel is 80 years old, but any criticism of israel is countered with "anti-semitism" which is by definition an attack on the jewish religion and not the israeli state

we don't teach the history of the jewish people ("zionist history") the same way we have erased mormonism from the history of the western US in the 19th century

it is more than okay to yell at israel and to yell at palestine and to yell at the sauds and jordanians and egyptians and and and and and and

criticism of any arab state is not met with violent opposition screaming "islamophobic!"

only israel has somehow managed to achieve the false equivalency of "questioning israel is an attack on our religion"

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So which is it?

It's okay.

I've done it more times than I can remember. "Noah, you fucking asshole, you spilled my can of Copenhagen!" Something I yelled at my buddy during spring break, sophomore year of college.

"Seth, you fat fuck, nobody is picking you!" Noah's fat cousin that complained about not being allowed to join our basketball game in middle school.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, blacklab said:

So which is it?

yes, if Jews are engaged with the Arabs in a shouting match, or if Jews are wrapped in the Israeli flag of course. I see your angle, that this is all antisemitic, that being BY FAR the most amateurish mistake made in this issue.  The idea of antisemitism is deeply ingrained in this culture, obviously Holocaust, but antisemitism is not why the Arabs fight the Jews.  Jews are the enemy but they are not the enemy simply because they are Jews.  America did not fight Japan because of Asian racial hatred.  BTW, the 3 things you quoted do not contradict each other. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

6 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Maybe Taco is really Michael Moore. 

technically Arabs and Jews are Semites, but obviously "antisemitism" refers to Jews. 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Semite

Semite, name given in the 19th century to a member of any people who speak one of the Semitic languages, a family of languages spoken primarily in parts of western Asia and Africa. The term therefore came to include Arabs, Akkadians, Canaanites, Hebrews, some Ethiopians (including the Amhara and the Tigrayans), and Aramaean tribes. Although Mesopotamia, the western coast of the Mediterranean, the Arabian Peninsula, and the Horn of Africa have all been proposed as possible sites for the prehistoric origins of Semitic-speaking populations, there remains no archaeological or scientific evidence of a common Semitic people. Because Semitic-speaking peoples do not share any traits aside from language, use of the term “Semite” to refer to the broad range of Semitic-speaking peoples has fallen out of favour. For this reason, some critics even encourage the removal of the hyphen in the term anti-Semitism to help dispel any pseudoscientific notions of a "Semitic race." They advocate instead for the use of antisemitism to describe the hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious or racial group.

18 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

yes, if Jews are engaged with the Arabs in a shouting match, or if Jews are wrapped in the Israeli flag of course. I see your angle, that this is all antisemitic, that being BY FAR the most amateurish mistake made in this issue.  The idea of antisemitism is deeply ingrained in this culture, obviously Holocaust, but antisemitism is not why the Arabs fight the Jews.  Jews are the enemy but they are not the enemy simply because they are Jews.  America did not fight Japan because of Asian racial hatred.  BTW, the 3 things you quoted do not contradict each other. 

edit expired.. ok i see what you meant about shouting at Jewish students.  If he's just randomly walking down the street, of course not, but if he's showing pro-Israeli gear, of course it's ok, just as it is for Arab students showing pro-Pal gear. What you quoted was in the context of a protest and counter-protest by pro-Israelis, such as when both gather simultaneously at the west mall. After reading your post and my posts, it's easy to see the confusion on my part and yours. So, no, I don't think you were taking the anti-semitic angle - but thinking I was contradicting myself (which I should have input the context of protest/counterprotest). 

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

enemies of the united states do not identify as anti-christian, so why is anyone who is critical of israel an anti-semite?

more than half of israel are really pissed off at likud but here we are in 2024, israel is 80 years old, but any criticism of israel is countered with "anti-semitism" which is by definition an attack on the jewish religion and not the israeli state

we don't teach the history of the jewish people ("zionist history") the same way we have erased mormonism from the history of the western US in the 19th century

it is more than okay to yell at israel and to yell at palestine and to yell at the sauds and jordanians and egyptians and and and and and and

criticism of any arab state is not met with violent opposition screaming "islamophobic!"

only israel has somehow managed to achieve the false equivalency of "questioning israel is an attack on our religion"

The problem is that people chant "from the river to the sea," which basically rules out a two-state solution, but do not explain what will happen to the Jewish people who have inhabited that land for 3+ generations now. It sure sounds like a masked call at best for subjugation of Jews, and at worst for genocide. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/30/2024 at 9:09 AM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

it's not racist or antisemitic to shout at Jewish students. They are fair game and it's not because they are Jewish but showing signs of being pro Israel such as a sign or wearing the Israeli flag. Then again, calling them "kike" is too much and racist, but "Zionazi" is ok with me.  

Yea idk zionazi sounds kind of contradictory given what hitler did to them.  

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

The problem is that people chant "from the river to the sea," which basically rules out a two-state solution, but do not explain what will happen to the Jewish people who have inhabited that land for 3+ generations now. It sure sounds like a masked call at best for subjugation of Jews, and at worst for genocide. 

On 4/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

there is nothing antisemitic about being against Israel, shouting at Jewish students, or even wanting to destroy Israel. 

I’m with Mikey on this one. Sure we could argue semantics on whether or not wanting the destruction of Israel is anti semetic or not, but it certainly implies you want to kill every resident of the country. I’m sure you’ll argue you don’t but it sure sounds like it to me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I’m with Mikey on this one. Sure we could argue semantics on whether or not wanting the destruction of Israel is anti semetic or not, but it certainly implies you want to kill every resident of the country. I’m sure you’ll argue you don’t but it sure sounds like it to me. 

the original 1948 Arab-Israeli war -- the Arab commanders openly stated they wanted to massacre all the Jews.  I would argue even that is not antisemitism, because the Jews are the enemy but they are not the enemy simply because they are Jews.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not murdered due to Asian hatred. There is no antisemitism in this entire conflict, never has been never will be.  It's a rookie mistake and a really easy one to overcome. 

River to the Sea -- I have spoken with several Palestinians on this issue -- what do you want?? They really don't know themselves, but most say equal rights at a minimum.  

the 2 state solution is already dead. Israel is NEVER leaving the west bank, EVER. The Jewish settlers have consumed most of it and that's creeping monthly. The Arabs are being squeezed more and more into ghettos. 

"The problem is that people chant "from the river to the sea," which basically rules out a two-state solution, but do not explain what will happen to the Jewish people who have inhabited that land for 3+ generations now. It sure sounds like a masked call at best for subjugation of Jews, and at worst for genocide. "

Lets examine Mikey's quote.   Again, Israel has already ruled out a 2 state solution, it's not just Netanyahu, its the vast majority of the Israeli Jewish population.  The Jews already have control from the river to the sea.  Oh golly, Israel has not explained what will happen to the Arab people who have inhabited that land for 50+ generations. You see, the Arabs are invisible in your mind, they don't exist, Jews are paramount in your thinking.  We already have subjugation of the Arabs and we see a "genocide" of Gaza.  Arabs don't matter at all, they are the enemy of America to most.

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

14 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the original 1948 Arab-Israeli war -- the Arab commanders openly stated they wanted to massacre all the Jews.  I would argue even that is not antisemitism, because the Jews are the enemy but they are not the enemy simply because they are Jews.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not murdered due to Asian hatred. There is no antisemitism in this entire conflict, never has been never will be.  It's a rookie mistake and a really easy one to overcome. 

So, if I say "I want to "massacre all the Jews"," I'm not really saying kill people "because they are Jews," but instead, I'm saying "Jews are the enemy - massacre all?"  I think you outsmarted me on this one.  Maybe try removing the letters "JEW" from your post and replace it with another racial or ethnic term, and see how it plays.  I'll help you get it started:

"The English commanders openly stated they wanted to massacre all the French.  This is not anti-French, because the French are the enemy but they are not the enemy simply because they are French."  "There is no anti-French in this entire conflict, never has been never will be.  Rookie." 

I think your post sucks.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoTex said:

So, if I say "I want to "massacre all the Jews"," I'm not really saying kill people "because they are Jews," but instead, I'm saying "Jews are the enemy - massacre all?"  I think you outsmarted me on this one.  Maybe try removing the letters "JEW" from your post and replace it with another racial or ethnic term, and see how it plays.  I'll help you get it started:

"The English commanders openly stated they wanted to massacre all the French.  This is not anti-French, because the French are the enemy but they are not the enemy simply because they are French."  "There is no anti-French in this entire conflict, never has been never will be.  Rookie." 

I think your post sucks.

because the French migrated and took over a big chunk of England and the English want to drive them out.  So my post is awesome and yours sucks, because it's very simple and you are indeed a rookie , back to AA ball for you! 

6 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

because the French migrated and took over a big chunk of England and the English want to drive them out.  So my post is awesome and yours sucks, because it's very simple and you are indeed a rookie , back to AA ball for you! 

you make this thread unreadable 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yes.  They never call others _____ phobic or ____ist when it’s unwarranted.  Never happens. Totally not a go to.  

This thread makes me feel like I am taking crazy pills.

semantic, technical and AKSHUALLY arguments about whether or not, "from the river to the sea" is anti-Semitic.  Or that fat fucking blob Michael Moore AKSUALLY'ing  that chanting about destroying Israel isn't anti-Semitic.  What the actual FUCK?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

try to post something on topic and I'll respond. 

Your post about the French migrating to England sucks too.  Somewhere, somehow, we're all immigrants.  Leaving Podunk shit town Texas to go to Austin made me a migrant.  Go back far enough in my family tree and we probably lived somewhere in Ethiopia or Kenya, just like the rest of you, who are all descendants of original homo sapiens, making us all immigrants.  I could make some argument for ancestral entitlement to some place all the way from South Texas to North Africa.  And probably there is someone that lived there before me and/or after me that could make an argument too.

You tried to wordsmith the phrase "massacre all the Jews," into "There is no antisemitism in this entire conflict, never has been never will be."  

I think that was bullshit.

I think what you really want to say is "Palestinians have an ancestral right to the land and anyone that gets in their way should be subject to eviction. Even if that requires violence. Jew, redneck or Oklahoma fan, you don't care - if they're on "Palestine," forcibly evict them."  But that's already been said and you want a hot take.

You don't hate Jews because of their genetics, you hate them because they're holding the thing you want.

Edited by CoTex
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Your post about the French migrating to England sucks too.  Somewhere, somehow, we're all immigrants.  Leaving Podunk shit town Texas to go to Austin made me a migrant.  Go back far enough in my family tree and we probably lived somewhere in Ethiopia or Kenya, just like the rest of you, who are all descendants of original homo sapiens, making us all immigrants.  I could make some argument for ancestral entitlement to some place all the way from South Texas to North Africa.  And probably there is someone that lived there before me and/or after me that could make an argument too.

You tried to wordsmith the phrase "massacre all the Jews," into "There is no antisemitism in this entire conflict, never has been never will be."  

I think that was bullshit.

I think what you really want to say is "Palestinians have an ancestral right to the land and anyone that gets in their way should be subject to eviction. Even if that requires violence. Jew, redneck or Oklahoma fan, you don't care - if they're on "Palestine," forcibly evict them."  But that's already been said and you want a hot take.

You don't hate Jews because of their genetics, you hate them because they're holding the thing you want.

it's tribal warfare, Jew tribe vs. Arab tribe.  Many nations are formed by one tribe overpowering the other, that's history and that is what we see today. But it's not simply because they are Jews, it's because they are the enemy tribe, easy.  Jews wanted to establish their ethnostate on top of the native Arab population, so we had war.  Doesn't mean the war was based on antisemitism, but this idiocy is based on deeply ingrained western cultural concepts. Your final sentence makes you down to AA ball -- no I don't hate Jews.  My remedy is a 1 state solution where the Jews take over the west bank (which they already have) but give the Arabs full citizenship as do the 2 million Israeli Arabs. Then it's over. 

There is no Jew hatred by me, I want them to take everything in a formal annexation.  Duh.  

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

National survey of college students conducted by the Univeristy of Chicago:

Pape, of the University of Chicago, said some fears are driven by a “tragic misunderstanding” of the other side’s intentions. The most frequently used pro-Palestinian protest chant — “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” — is understood in dramatically different ways by various students.

The survey found that 66% of Jewish students interpreted it as a call for the expulsion and genocide of Israeli Jews, a perception closely linked to fears for their safety.

By contrast, 14% of Muslim students interpreted the chant that way. Rather, 76% of those surveyed understood it as a call for Palestinians and Israelis to live side by side in two separate countries or in one state.

Among all students, 42% understood the chant as a call for mutual existence, compared with 26% of those who believed it advocates for the expulsion and genocide of Israeli Jews.

The overwhelming share of students, including Jews and Muslims, said they abhor political violence and that calls for genocide were unacceptable.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-05-02/student-fears-triggered-by-israel-palestinian-tensions-skyrocket

Can anyone find the survey tweeted by a citizen journalist so that Sack knows he can trust it?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

Expert is giving him too much credit.

I dunno. I don't think I've seen the "I'm pro Israeli genocide of Gaza, but I'm also pro threatening the genocide of Jewish people as long as it's couched as genocide of Israeli people" before. That's pretty impressive.

• Haha 1