Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not to go all Brisket, but you're not going to appeal to them.  They are too far down the rabbit hole.

It’s funny, they say the same kind of things about liberals/democrats/progressives.

It’s easy to throw your hands up and say fuck it.  It’s convenient to completely write these people off.  And I will admit, *some* of them are too far gone.

However, when you really dig in you’ll find there’s a shitload of common ground to work with among the vast majority of them.  They just need more exposure to alternative ideas and perspectives.

There are plenty of reformed ex-neo Nazis out there that have come to see the near fatal errors in their ways.  If they can change, anyone can.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

You need to focus on the ones who legit voted against Hillary.  

The full-on Trumpkins will never change.   They could be shown videos of Putin barebacking Trump, and it won’t matter.  They will laugh and scream “EASILY TRIGGERED LIBTARDS.  YOURE MAD THAT HE CAN TAKE THE LENGTH AND YOU CANT”

Trump simply brought out who they really were.  

On 11/23/2018 at 2:01 AM, atomheartbevo said:

You need to focus on the ones who legit voted against Hillary.  

The full-on Trumpkins will never change.   They could be shown videos of Putin barebacking Trump, and it won’t matter.  They will laugh and scream “EASILY TRIGGERED LIBTARDS.  YOURE MAD THAT HE CAN TAKE THE LENGTH AND YOU CANT”

Trump simply brought out who they really were.  

Pretty much this, they won’t change so just focus on the ones you can 

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

A modern day WPA and CCC are exactly what we need.

Who's gonna work it ? Unemployment is so low right now employers can't fill positions at all kinds of levels.  This Xmas is gonna be tough for employers looking for temp. help over the holidays.

I agree we need a massive infrastructure program, but finding people to work it will be tough or very expensive.

• Like 1

This isn’t the thread for that topic, but the short version is that our current unemployment level is certainly correct as reported and but the type of full employment we are experiencing is not durable or even really desirable going forward. On top of that, there’s the issue of automation.

If you actually want a labor economy thread I’ll start one about this specific thing later in the week when I have more time.

• Like 2

The problem isn't workers or funding the problem is the red tape to get any of it done.

https://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/obama-lesson-shovel-ready-not-so-ready/

Many of the road, bridge and sewer projects financed by the record-breaking spending bill took more than a year to even start construction as they got bogged down in bureaucratic red tape at the local level. For a country, and a president, eager to see jobs created quickly, the “shovel ready” part of the projects was a disappointment.

In his interview with Mr. Baker, the president said that the benefit of infrastructure spending was that for every dollar spent,  “you get a dollar and a half in stimulus because there are ripple effects from building roads or bridges or sewer lines.”

“But the problem is,” he continued, “is that spending it out takes a long time, because there’s really nothing — there’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects.”

18 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Who's gonna work it ? Unemployment is so low right now employers can't fill positions at all kinds of levels.  This Xmas is gonna be tough for employers looking for temp. help over the holidays.

I agree we need a massive infrastructure program, but finding people to work it will be tough or very expensive.

A lot of those jobs are really shitty and have no benefits. If these come with healthcare, a shit ton of people will be interested.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Bottom line: she's kinda cute, she hates Trump (big plus), she fits the "liberal" mold.

She's still kind of a fringer dipshit and the Dems better not put too much hope in her.

Who is "putting hope in her"?

She's not a 70 year old white male corporate shill who speaks out of both sides of her face.  She's a junior rep with no pressure, and no expectations.  Winner winner. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Who is "putting hope in her"?

She's not a 70 year old white male corporate shill who speaks out of both sides of her face.  She's a junior rep with no pressure, and no expectations.  Winner winner. 

Yeah....I think the "hope" being put on her is MUCH more significant from the opposition than it is from the left side of the spectrum.  I think the general take on the left side is that she's cute, articulate, and generally likable, she hates Trump (but seriously, that's not exactly a special feature these days), and she offers a voice from the left end of the spectrum - which a broad-spectrum party needs.  I don't think that anyone thinks the next two years are going to be "AOC makes Congress her bitch!"  She's a junior rep with a somewhat different and appealing voice.  Just like the party needs someone like Conor Lamb, who is a Dem voice for gun rights.

If anything, she stands for the broad proposition that we have one party that has room for some diversity of opinion, versus one that demands that you walk lock-step with Trump or be deemed a traitor to the cause.  That's a pretty solid message in and of itself.  The Dems have AOC and Lamb.  The GOP has Trumpists, and people on their way out because they aren't Trumpist enough.

• Like 4

I think there are some millennials who are excited about her as a non decrepit white male in Congress.  Of course, there are others, but she's the one who represents everything that the Fox News demographic hates and therefore she's the one they never shut the fuck about.  That combined with New York and her relative brashness is probably why she gets talked about more than say the lesbian Native American cage fighter from Kansas (who is badass.  and I guess also 38)

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Nancy Pelosi.

Yeah, she has never been anti-Pelosi for speakership. Who else is she gonna support?  I think she is the only DSA member in Congress, and even someone who wants new blood in Congress understands that the speaker needs to be a seasoned vet. 

The anti-Pelosi folks are the ones who barely beat out GOP incumbents. Even there, its only because of GOP attack ads in their districts. 

12 hours ago, LonghornJudas said:

With big pieces of legislation like what's being proposed, will we ever get to a point in this country where we can actually user test an idea at a smaller scale before we roll it out nationwide?

Treat it like a real product. Build > Measure > Learn.

if only we had 50 geographic regions with borders that we could use as test locations .......

Edited by Onboard 2.0

6 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Wait, the retarded dipshits who don't have a problem with the utterances of Trump now are parsing with analytical zeal the discourses of AOC?

Of course they are. 

Trump is not good with maths either. I guess that needs to be stated for record. 

Edited by Anastasis

11 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

AOC is not an idiot, she knows what she's posting is absurd, but she's a smart politician. She's essentially doing what Trump, et al. does when they "throw red meat to their base", she is doing the same thing but to her fringe supporters who are all like, "ya! pay for my college and ramen and medicare and i want new bike lanes in my city and also testosterone injections and maybe a guitar if there is money in the budget left over after we send all CEO's to jail"

She won with 13k total votes. Who the fuck is she talking to, the dumbest community college in NY?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

She won with 13k total votes. Who the fuck is she talking to, the dumbest community college in NY?

Isn't this the same chick who could not name the three branches of government? Have to love affirmative action.

• Fuck You 8

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez