The real reason college football will fail

21 hours ago, Zeus said:

Yeah this one is super regarded just like this kids agent/Dad

He tried to start a bidding war to run up the offers and chose Miami over Florida over Florida figured it out and pulled their offer. 

Then he’s bounced around to 4 schools and now it’s looking like he’s not an nfl prospect. 

So instead of just taking $13M to play at Florida him and his dad are going to hire dumb fuck lawyers to try and settle for $1M, then after lawyer fees get $300k. 

Brilliant

I’m curious if there’s any paperwork / emails behind this. 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

nfl isn’t going to pay nil type money to 18 yo’s

I don't mean the NFL will actually be in control of it.  It will be some consortium of shit, hey, maybe like private equity firms, that would run this "minor league".  My point is it will ultimately be a "league" for college-age football players with only a vague connection (licensing) to the schools.  

7 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Staples said on the Feldman pod that it was likely to be structured as a sort of loan.  You get $xxMM now and the PE firm wants 20% of your growth over $x/year going forward for a period of time. Kinda like a tax or Income Sharing Agreement (ISA).  That gives a way to ADs to sell it to their president as "free" money with downside protection (if you don't grow you don't pay), and the PE firm is betting that the growth in college football is going to continue and they get a cut of it.

what I saw talked about is a couple of fuck heads that have some interest in a couple of Euro kickball teams want to take over the licensing and branding of 20 to 30 top schools and take a % and make some (I am sure very vague) promises about the growth of the brands because of their "expertise"

it will be a total shit show though and it makes no sense to me (although no one would claim I am some business genius), but then again you look at how most athletics departments and conferences are run and a fucking moron could do better 

I fail to see how UA, Adidas, nike, or any of the other fucks that do branding are going to go along with another middleman to deal with and WTF do companies like LearfieldIMG.......well I mean really they do pretty shitty is what they do and take a cut for it, but sadly most athletics departments are full of such ride the pine fucks that even with $100 million dollar budgets and a shit tonne of alumni that would do things for free they still need a 3rd party company to come in and take a slice of their marketing deals

the best I can tell some dumb fucks have decides that fans of LaTech, Arkansas stAte, UTEP, UTSA, UAB, USA, F_U, all of the MWC, the AAC and tons of others are just chomping at the bit to cheer for Texas, Alabama, Miami, FSU, Clemson, tOSU, Oregon, USC, and some others in a super league......which of course they won't be

these same fucking idiots think they can convince ESPN and maybe Fox to dump most of the NCAA teams and give all the money to their collection of teams and that will be where the "growth" comes in......which will be a perfect match for the further decline of cable/SAT TV subscribers and now the already happening decline of streaming services and "bundles" on streaming

also I have said this many times before and will say it until proven wrong.....there is not going to be any type of "special athlete employee" category for sports ballers at universities.....once they are paid directly by the university they will be 100% beholden to the same standards of conduct and behavior as any other university employee and the university will be 100% liable for their behaviors and conduct just like they are for any other employee.....so some sports baller that decides he wants to gran his crotch and do that sucking sound thing between his teeth while he talks to random shawty about her ass while on campus, in class, or in the dorms will have to be fucking fired just like if a janitor or a grounds keeper channeled their inner freak nasty and did the same thing

if they are not fired you can look for a nice lawsuit from shawty and from all of the other employees that have been fired in the past for any type of inappropriate conduct......universities will be getting fucked left and right and it will probably break a few of them 

and before you bring up some well known incidents again there is a difference (right or wrong) now with the whole "have to give the student athlete a chance" process that helps sweep this shit under the rug and the other major difference is currently the other universities and past employees that might have been fired for misconduct are not involved.....because they are employees and currently athletes are not....so they are not subjected to the same HR rules

college sports is heading for a disaster as it is and any "private equity" or "private capital" getting involved will just drive this shit off of a cliff into a volcano

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

college sports is heading for a disaster as it is and any "private equity" or "private capital" getting involved will just drive this shit off of a cliff into a volcano

Y'all buckle up for the Saudis getting involved in CFB.  It's just a matter of time.

14 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

what I saw talked about is a couple of fuck heads that have some interest in a couple of Euro kickball teams want to take over the licensing and branding of 20 to 30 top schools and take a % and make some (I am sure very vague) promises about the growth of the brands because of their "expertise"

it will be a total shit show though and it makes no sense to me (although no one would claim I am some business genius), but then again you look at how most athletics departments and conferences are run and a fucking moron could do better 

I fail to see how UA, Adidas, nike, or any of the other fucks that do branding are going to go along with another middleman to deal with and WTF do companies like LearfieldIMG.......well I mean really they do pretty shitty is what they do and take a cut for it, but sadly most athletics departments are full of such ride the pine fucks that even with $100 million dollar budgets and a shit tonne of alumni that would do things for free they still need a 3rd party company to come in and take a slice of their marketing deals

the best I can tell some dumb fucks have decides that fans of LaTech, Arkansas stAte, UTEP, UTSA, UAB, USA, F_U, all of the MWC, the AAC and tons of others are just chomping at the bit to cheer for Texas, Alabama, Miami, FSU, Clemson, tOSU, Oregon, USC, and some others in a super league......which of course they won't be

these same fucking idiots think they can convince ESPN and maybe Fox to dump most of the NCAA teams and give all the money to their collection of teams and that will be where the "growth" comes in......which will be a perfect match for the further decline of cable/SAT TV subscribers and now the already happening decline of streaming services and "bundles" on streaming

also I have said this many times before and will say it until proven wrong.....there is not going to be any type of "special athlete employee" category for sports ballers at universities.....once they are paid directly by the university they will be 100% beholden to the same standards of conduct and behavior as any other university employee and the university will be 100% liable for their behaviors and conduct just like they are for any other employee.....so some sports baller that decides he wants to gran his crotch and do that sucking sound thing between his teeth while he talks to random shawty about her ass while on campus, in class, or in the dorms will have to be fucking fired just like if a janitor or a grounds keeper channeled their inner freak nasty and did the same thing

if they are not fired you can look for a nice lawsuit from shawty and from all of the other employees that have been fired in the past for any type of inappropriate conduct......universities will be getting fucked left and right and it will probably break a few of them 

and before you bring up some well known incidents again there is a difference (right or wrong) now with the whole "have to give the student athlete a chance" process that helps sweep this shit under the rug and the other major difference is currently the other universities and past employees that might have been fired for misconduct are not involved.....because they are employees and currently athletes are not....so they are not subjected to the same HR rules

Do I need to speak jive to understand this post?

15 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

It's almost like you don't know how rich white people work. 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Just wait until all college football players unionize. They’ll get a much bigger piece Of the pie. 

piece of what though....even if you busted out football on it's own and gave it credit for a lot of revenues from media rights, sponsorships, and all their ticket sales and the donations that go with them most college football teams do not make money they lose money......sure they could look at an total athletics department that is subsidized to the tune of $5 to $40 million per year and knock that down to a football program that is subsidized to the tune of $1 to $5 million per year, but there is still no profit to share when you lose money

and that would probably be without giving full cost % of the overall athletics administration to football that it takes to run football or looking at the cost of administrative building space and the like.....I would imagine that Texas is one of the few places that (I am 99% sure) does things like charges athletics massively high cost for parking, changing light bulbs, touching up paint, fixing a door hinge, or whatever else is done to Bellmont as far as maintenance and upkeep vs, what an academic department would pay for the same services

and I am very certain that once any union or payment directly from a university comes into play that regular students and state officials (for public schools) will want to start charging for tuition and a lot of fans will not be renewing season tickets or paying massive seat donations for those tickets.....and there will probably be an attempt to remove those donations as a deduction by the feds

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

piece of what though....even if you busted out football on it's own and gave it credit for a lot of revenues from media rights, sponsorships, and all their ticket sales and the donations that go with them most college football teams do not make money they lose money......sure they could look at an total athletics department that is subsidized to the tune of $5 to $40 million per year and knock that down to a football program that is subsidized to the tune of $1 to $5 million per year, but there is still no profit to share when you lose money

and that would probably be without giving full cost % of the overall athletics administration to football that it takes to run football or looking at the cost of administrative building space and the like.....I would imagine that Texas is one of the few places that (I am 99% sure) does things like charges athletics massively high cost for parking, changing light bulbs, touching up paint, fixing a door hinge, or whatever else is done to Bellmont as far as maintenance and upkeep vs, what an academic department would pay for the same services

and I am very certain that once any union or payment directly from a university comes into play that regular students and state officials (for public schools) will want to start charging for tuition and a lot of fans will not be renewing season tickets or paying massive seat donations for those tickets.....and there will probably be an attempt to remove those donations as a deduction by the feds

Donation is already non-deductible?

Also any school in the B1G, SEC, B12, or ACC if you broke out football alone would be profit making.  ISU as an example will be $31.7MM/yr on the new B12 TV deal, and they're bringing in $16.19MM in football-only ticket sales.  That's $48MM in revenues before we even get to brand licensing, etc.  They're not spending that on football.  Campbell makes $4MM/yr, with a $3MM assistant pool.  So that's ~$7MM.  The 85 scholarships true cost is incremental to the university to let an extra student or two or 85 sit in courses.  Their internal cost is no where near what they charge students in fees, which ISU pegs at $22,295.  Their true cost is less than that but let's apply that full amount here, $22,295 * 85 = $1.895MM.  ISU's total spend on all sports team travel last year was ~$7.5MM, let's stick football with half of that or $4MM.  Now we're up to ~$13MM in expenses against almost $50MM in revenues.  Even if you add in capital expenditure amortization like stadium costs and other facilities, overhead for AD staff, etc, there's plenty of room for "profit."

But if you don't believe my back of the napkin math, the Iowa St. student newspaper published all of this data for 2023.  Football had $53.2MM in revenue against $27.7MM in expenses, a profit of $25.4MM.

Today, Athletic Departments don't ever turn a "profit," because they want to be non-profit.  But they have to spend the money; in cases of smaller schools the football overage fully funds everything else aside from Men's basketball which generates about 2x its cost.  In larger "more profitable" ADs like UT, Ohio State, etc we've traditionally spent that money on coaching and the facilities arms race.  Or in the case of UT we turn some money back over to the academic side.

Out of curiosity I looked at a few other smaller teams...

Boise State, Mountain West Conference

Florida International University, Conference USA

Texas State, Sun Belt Conference

There is some level where football can't stand on its own, but the line is drawn further down on the list than you might think.  And even those who turn a "loss" make up the gap with student fees if they have sufficient desire to keep the program.

Edited by Horn of Gabriel
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

They would lose interest from so many college alums and fans who really don't follow the NFL that much and there's no way the NFL fanbase stretches that far to make that profitable.    Much like G League and minor league baseball, just too small an interest base.  I know I'd end up with a lot more Saturdays available in the fall.

That would be me, love college football, minimal interest in the NFL.

PE screws up everything they touch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Y'all buckle up for the Saudis getting involved in CFB.  It's just a matter of time.

If so, I hate to imagine the “punishments” for fumbles, drops, throwing pick sixes, getting pancaked, missing chip shot game winning place kicks and bonehead false starts.

”Fayetteville, AR (AP)

Former all-SEC Arkansas quarterback Billy Joe Smegmason was beheaded on the 50-yard line at Razorback Stadium immediately after throwing a pick six on what turned out to be the game’s, and his, final play.  

Final score- Texas 26 - Arkansas 20”

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

If so, I hate to imagine the “punishments” for fumbles, drops, throwing pick sixes, getting pancaked, missing chip shot game winning place kicks and bonehead false starts.

”Fayetteville, AR (AP)

Former all-SEC Arkansas quarterback Billy Joe Smegmason was beheaded on the 50-yard line at Razorback Stadium immediately after throwing a pick six on what turned out to be the game’s, and his, final play.  

Final score- Texas 26 - Arkansas 20”

"They tried to stone him to death first, but the rest of the team was as horrible as he was in throwing projectiles." 

• Haha 3

On 5/22/2024 at 10:36 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

yeah. thats going to be the real problem.  

I can see the private schools being able to do this, with ND being the obvious CFB crown jewel, but right behind them would be USC and then a little behind them would be Miami  and for CBB, Duke would be the top pick..

Private schools selling shares of their teams to a hedgefund could very easily kill any advantage NIL gave the big schools

Since everything private equity touches dies, I look forward to this.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

PE firms invest in money-losing companies all the time.  It's kind of their thing.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/24/2024 at 4:37 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Just wait until all college football players unionize. They’ll get a much bigger piece Of the pie. 

They'll strike and kill the golden goose much like baseball hurt its popularity with multiple strikes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 5:01 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.c7e77630a8b75ae6f5b53843af7d334d.png

Assuming these numbers are accurate, major lulz at SMU and TCU allocating 5% of the school's total operating budget to paying athletes. The close to 1% at UT is bad enough. What the fuck are we even doing here?