The real reason college football will fail

22 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Can one invest in a public university??

yeah. thats going to be the real problem.  

I can see the private schools being able to do this, with ND being the obvious CFB crown jewel, but right behind them would be USC and then a little behind them would be Miami  and for CBB, Duke would be the top pick..

Private schools selling shares of their teams to a hedgefund could very easily kill any advantage NIL gave the big schools

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

*Reportedly the athletic departments set to receive the investment are:

Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Iowa State, and San Diego State. 

Reveal hidden contents

*Reported by me, because that's who I want to get the money. 

We're all fucked. Get the trophy case ready for Wake Forest, Minnesota, GT, and SDSU

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

*Reportedly the athletic departments set to receive the investment are:

Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Iowa State, and San Diego State. 

Hide contents

*Reported by me, because that's who I want to get the money. 

Untitled.jpg

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

counterpoint

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/2024/05/22/failed-135-million-nil-deal-prompts-florida-gators-lawsuit/

A former University of Florida football recruit has sued the university and coach Billy Napier over an NIL deal gone sour.

Schools are going to need a fuckload of money to defend claims.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how will investing in "athletic departments" significantly improve the chances of those programs winning? Unless I completely misunderstand, the AD and NIL collectives are separate entities? Having the wealthiest AD in the country didn't exactly help UT the past decade+, not sure how a cash infusion will help struggling programs that much...or have a decent ROI to investors?

23 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

counterpoint

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/2024/05/22/failed-135-million-nil-deal-prompts-florida-gators-lawsuit/

A former University of Florida football recruit has sued the university and coach Billy Napier over an NIL deal gone sour.

I did a little work with UF booster, HH,  named in the article.  Such a cheezy guy , not at all surprised to see him mixed up with this deal.  He owned a Dealership in Panama City for a short period of time....very creepy car guy, hot wife though.

5 hours ago, ousux said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how will investing in "athletic departments" significantly improve the chances of those programs winning? Unless I completely misunderstand, the AD and NIL collectives are separate entities? Having the wealthiest AD in the country didn't exactly help UT the past decade+, not sure how a cash infusion will help struggling programs that much...or have a decent ROI to investors?

From what I understand this has nothing to do with the field. This has to do with paying off that huge 2+ billion dollar settlement the NCAA is negotiating that each school will have to pay a certain amount. The biggest programs can take the hit without much issue but the smaller guys like Wake Forest can't. 

Could this not be the beginning of a spin off from the ncaa?  Starting to form an NFL minor league where the schools license their branding, but the players are no longer “student athletes”?  Because that’s where I see this all heading anyway. 

35 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

College football is already dead, we just haven't realized it yet

...said fans when the forward pass was legalized

...said fans when we went from leather helmets to modern equipment

...said fans when when conferences realigned the first, second, third, forth, fifth, and sixth times

...said fans when black players were allowed to play

...said fans when we started declaring a national champion AFTER the bowls

and yet...here we are, college football still as popular as ever, even moreso.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

56 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Could this not be the beginning of a spin off from the ncaa?  Starting to form an NFL minor league where the schools license their branding, but the players are no longer “student athletes”?  Because that’s where I see this all heading anyway. 

So Cardale won’t even have to pretend to “play school” anymore?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Incredulity said:

counterpoint

Yeah this one is super regarded just like this kids agent/Dad

He tried to start a bidding war to run up the offers and chose Miami over Florida over Florida figured it out and pulled their offer. 

Then he’s bounced around to 4 schools and now it’s looking like he’s not an nfl prospect. 

So instead of just taking $13M to play at Florida him and his dad are going to hire dumb fuck lawyers to try and settle for $1M, then after lawyer fees get $300k. 

Brilliant

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

...said fans when the forward pass was legalized

...said fans when we went from leather helmets to modern equipment

...said fans when when conferences realigned the first, second, third, forth, fifth, and sixth times

...said fans when black players were allowed to play

...said fans when we started declaring a national champion AFTER the bowls

and yet...here we are, college football still as popular as ever, even moreso.  

You left out the key one. Teddy Roosevelt threatened to ban the sport in 1905 if they didn't find a way to reduce injuries. Amazingly, at least 45 died from 1900 to 1905, according to the Washington Post. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 4

This is dumb. The point of private equity investment is to make a profit. Every time they buy a restaurant or retail line or whatever consumer driven enterprise, the quality of the product gets watered down in the interest of profit margins. So a private equity firm is going to approve $8 Million per year for a coach?

I don’t see the end game here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This is dumb. The point of private equity investment is to make a profit. Every time they buy a restaurant or retail line or whatever consumer driven enterprise, the quality of the product gets watered down in the interest of profit margins. So a private equity firm is going to approve $8 Million per year for a coach?

I don’t see the end game here.

Perhaps a private equity firm could prevent a university from guaranteeing to pay a coach $78 million if they fire him.

439461191-289047577629491-68056126976176

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The. They’re the ufl which doesn’t draw as well as college

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This is dumb. The point of private equity investment is to make a profit. Every time they buy a restaurant or retail line or whatever consumer driven enterprise, the quality of the product gets watered down in the interest of profit margins. 

payme.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

They would lose interest from so many college alums and fans who really don't follow the NFL that much and there's no way the NFL fanbase stretches that far to make that profitable.    Much like G League and minor league baseball, just too small an interest base.  I know I'd end up with a lot more Saturdays available in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Wetzel podcast panel emphasized this is private CAPITAL, not private equity, so the firms won't actually own any part of the athletic department. But there was some language snuck in about "advising" ADs on revenue ideas. As if ADs the last 40 years haven't been obsessed with that very topic.

There is a real ? = Profit element to all this

Edited by Bartles
Equity

Posted (edited)

I'm confused (as usual).  So if an athletic department runs a surplus, the funds will receive a distribution?  Will they control how AD budgets are created?  We have some of the biggest investment funds in the world in some of our commercial real estate partnerships.  They certainly can dictate how we spend money.  

Edited by Sbbruin

Staples said on the Feldman pod that it was likely to be structured as a sort of loan.  You get $xxMM now and the PE firm wants 20% of your growth over $x/year going forward for a period of time. Kinda like a tax or Income Sharing Agreement (ISA).  That gives a way to ADs to sell it to their president as "free" money with downside protection (if you don't grow you don't pay), and the PE firm is betting that the growth in college football is going to continue and they get a cut of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ousux said:
43 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

As a fan of a rich as fuck program, sweet. 

Not if there's an across the board cap.

It’s gonna be quite funny in a few years when the first school gets the NCAA hammer for getting caught breaking the salary cap for football 

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

nfl isn’t going to pay nil type money to 18 yo’s