Any good BBQ in London?

Armybrat

Leaving on a jet plane for Heathrow soon.

After sampling their English fare of meat pies, fish & chips, weird sausages, & the like, I'll be ready for a familiar fix. Any suggestions? (no MickeyD jokes please)

Same for Paris - am not a fan of snails, fungus, frog legs, & horse meat.

Paris is truly one of the best food cities in the world, you just need to watch out for the shitloads of tourist places serving up lazy fare. walk the neighborhoods a bit and hit up the smaller back alley places with like 5 tables. some of the best eating ever. 

also what the last two posters said

except don't get beef in London. 

What the fuck, this better be a troll post.

In Paris, even if you eat like a 6 year old, get crepes and baquettes and eclairs. Not mother fucking BBQ. Don't be an American stereotype.

Even if you think you don't like Indian food, do yourself a favor and find a good Indian restaurant in London. I never appreciated it until I went there, and now I love it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, staboner said:

Paris is truly one of the best food cities in the world, you just need to watch out for the shitloads of tourist places serving up lazy fare. walk the neighborhoods a bit and hit up the smaller back alley places with like 5 tables. some of the best eating ever. 

They don't do good steaks in London town ?  Haven't been to London yet so I figured that was a safe bet.

One of the best steaks I've ever eaten anywhere in the world was in Dublin, Ireland a couple years ago.

There's no point in getting BBQ or Mexican in London.  As others have said, London's Indian cuisine absolutely rocks.  I've had good Persian and Greek dishes there, too.  Not so much Italian, but I'm sure you could find it.

If you're not really into some of the more adventurous French food, it doesn't mean you have to eat like a complete tourist there.  Get a good steak frites, for one.  Lamb, braised dishes like Coq au Vin, etc. are all tremendous.  And, as suggested, you could stuff yourself with crepes, pastries and table wine and be completely satisfied.  Just don't expect good versions of American regional fare.

Go to the Latin Quarter in Paris and swing into Le Relais de L’Entrecote (google it). Steak Frites, you're not testing your palate at all. But it's a great atmosphere in there and really felt like a local Parisian joint. Get a bottle of wine. If I remember, there's only one thing on the menu so if you don't parlez vous you should still get through the meal ok without getting your food spit on. Stupid American.

Some of you guys let it go right over your heads. Was kidding abut the BBQ & TexMex.

Thanks to the others for the hints. Yes, we'll be doing some pub food. Our Brit friends who are driving us around know both towns well and will keep us away from the typical tourist traps. Both are foodies.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Go to the Latin Quarter in Paris and swing into Le Relais de L’Entrecote (google it). Steak Frites, you're not testing your palate at all. But it's a great atmosphere in there and really felt like a local Parisian joint. Get a bottle of wine. If I remember, there's only one thing on the menu so if you don't parlez vous you should still get through the meal ok without getting your food spit on. Stupid American.

Visited this place a few weeks ago but at the Arc Triomphe branch.  Perfect weather for sitting on the sidewalk.  No reservations so if you don't beat the business lunch crowd there might be a queue. 

No menus at all - everyone gets nice salad, steak, fries, and they come around with unlimited refills (even on steak) if you've got the room.

Good food - not great.  IMO Paris is an incredibly overrated food City.  Aside from the high end places, there are thousands of absolutely mediocre places, given the prices.  So if you find a place like this it's worth the stop.

I will admit to having eaten bbq in London on multiple occasions while studying abroad . . . there used to be a KC style bbq place where expats would congregate to watch college football.  Not something I would do if visiting though.  On future trips to London I plan to just eat Indian food at every opportunity.    

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Visited this place a few weeks ago but at the Arc Triomphe branch.  Perfect weather for sitting on the sidewalk.  No reservations so if you don't beat the business lunch crowd there might be a queue. 

No menus at all - everyone gets nice salad, steak, fries, and they come around with unlimited refills (even on steak) if you've got the room.

Good food - not great.  IMO Paris is an incredibly overrated food City.  Aside from the high end places, there are thousands of absolutely mediocre places, given the prices.  So if you find a place like this it's worth the stop.

To be honest I could spend a week in Paris and eat at nothing but the bakeries and patisseries.  I agree there are a million tourist traps (especially around the tourist spots, obviously), but you can do pretty well, both in quality and cost (and friendliness) once you get away from the bullshit and find neighborhood joints. But that's basically true about any huge walkable city.

1 hour ago, staboner said:

... sunday roasts.  but make reservations. 

london has an abundance of good italian bistros.  also, surprisingly, over the past 5-10 years their burger game's really stepped up.  

I ate Tex-Mex in France once. I'd been there several months and was dying for some.  Never.  Again.

However I had some delicious interior Mexican in Belgium, so there's that.

In France, if you don't want to be adventurous, the braised dishes are great.  Coq au vin.  Beef bourgoignon.  I also love rabbit stew.

But army, it sounds like your friends are going to be the best guides, I'm sure they won't steer you wrong.

Only thing I'm really worried about is our house sitter discovering the last dozen cooked & frozen Del Rio Tortilla factory tamales hidden in the back of the freezer. After a Whataburger Sweet & Spicy, that's supposed to be our 1st dinner when we return home.

Edited by Armybrat

I lived in London for a couple years and was constantly on the hunt for a good burger or bbq. Other than perhaps an expensive steak the best beef I had in London was on Brick Lane in Shoreditch at the beigel shops, where they serve salt beef (aka corn beef) on fresh bagels 24x7. There's two places and they're both total dives. The beigel shops are holdovers from when this was the jewish part of town.