The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

Quite a collection they have there.  Surprised I've never heard of it.

It’s a great collection and well maintained. I didn’t consider until I started getting into the displays that Sikorsky, Vought, Kaman and Pratt & Whitney are all fairly close by. They have a lot of expertise able to be applied. And if you are even semi friendly with the docents you can check out the cockpits of many of them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 8:50 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Some guy just ferried a brand new Cessna 172 from Merced California to Honolulu. 

A Cessna just flew 18 hrs to Hawaii

😲😲😲

image.png.914afab43a3efc9a64f611d96e24324f.png

I've only putzed around in a co-worker's 172 hopping back and forth from Austin/DFW/Houston and I don't know dick about the miles per gallon in any kind of plane, but 175gal for 2500miles comes out to 14.3mpg.

13 hours ago, Brew said:

That is a big old nope for me. Every time I fly on our plane, I have to take a leak like an hour into it. 5 hour flight commercial, no problem. 2 hour flight on our C90, I’m counting down the minutes. It’s all in my head, but it is stuck there at this point.

Sporty’s has devices that solve this little conundrum.  Or you could just buy a jar or repurpose a Gatorade bottle.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Sporty’s has devices that solve this little conundrum.  Or you could just buy a jar or repurpose a Gatorade bottle.

Ours has the pee in the tube device, but I’m going to pass on that. Not to mention the thought of sitting in a Cessna for 18 hours sound horrible. I’m not flying commercial to Hawaii because I hate being on a plane for very long, much less a Cessna.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Ours has the pee in the tube device, but I’m going to pass on that. Not to mention the thought of sitting in a Cessna for 18 hours sound horrible. I’m not flying commercial to Hawaii because I hate being on a plane for very long, much less a Cessna.

To each their own. I wouldn’t be relieving myself next to someone else, but by myself? No big deal. 18 hours in a Cessna? Yeah, that’s a special kind of suck.

5 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I guess it's more expensive to put that Cessna on a ship, whether in whole or partially assembled, than to fly it.

That’s what Blancolirio said. Said those ferry flights happen more often than you think. 

20 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Stopped by the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT today. A few highlights:

Row of helicopters as you walk in:
740bf08bc388ce619d37802a5d0ac40c.jpg

Lots of Kamans and Sikorskys there as they’re local boys made good. Bells and Kamans in this

pic.

Interesting picture that hits close to home twice - because of the first two choppers in line.- my cousin & his crew were all killed when they were shot down in 1970 while he was piloting his Huey covering a medivac operation in Vietnam.

Mrs. Brat’s high school & college sweetheart was severely wounded & burned - but survived- when the Loach he was piloting got shot shot & crashed two years before my cousin. His co-pilot also survived but was spared serious injury because he was thrown clear of the fiery wreckage.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hangar 2 highlights

331bc42f2d0dcb8918716e2356399167.jpg
This is what I came to see. It was under restoration last time I was there a while back.

8505c7240668a4132e535ff33835a4a4.jpg

0cffe92af8236e201c349a6395d2b3e6.jpg
Sikorsky VS-44 on left, Lockheed 10A Electra (only a couple serial numbers away from Amelia’s) and a DC-3 with various bits around.

f61a9b35347d3f570b1191e6580163a1.jpg
Very highly modified Mustang. Won the Thompson Trophy in ‘48 and set an unofficial (glitching official recording equipment) of 501mph in 1950. That’s fast.

I’ve never heard of a Burnelli Loadmaster. Strange plane, I guess another one of those late ww2 planes that showed up too late. I’d love to go thru that Sikorsky flying boat as they fascinate me. Outstanding collection. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve never heard of a Burnelli Loadmaster. Strange plane, I guess another one of those late ww2 planes that showed up too late. I’d love to go thru that Sikorsky flying boat as they fascinate me. Outstanding collection. Thanks for sharing.

I'm vaguely fascinated by the post-war cargo planes like the Flying Boxcar.  Their involvement in "lost causes" is somewhat eerie.

7d6d55646678f08722e1da275673a18f.png

Dien Bien Phu.

15289206_10153806183331191_1217332663436

Over Chosin Reservoir.

I'm vaguely fascinated by the post-war cargo planes like the Flying Boxcar.  Their involvement in "lost causes" is somewhat eerie.
7d6d55646678f08722e1da275673a18f.png
Dien Bien Phu.
15289206_10153806183331191_1217332663436440451_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=L2DmVKMjeL8AX8osiTM&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AT8ocCMrT_wq8DHbsqfSJ_DtAL7hsm1TnB7ZvMpC3Y-mmA&oe=632C33F1
Over Chosin Reservoir.

The story of every post war medium haul cargo design, until the advent of the turbo prop begins with “it was an innovative design for the time” and ends with “but there were just too many C-47s to be had for nothing.”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:14 AM, Mittens said:

Not that you'd be getting up and stretching in a 172 to begin with, but that cabin was loaded down like a college grad moving into their first apartment with a Honda Civic. 

https://www.facebook.com/566027619/videos/pcb.10159420593637620/5061899067251838

That guy was smiling like he’d just found the perfect excuse to not listen to his wife whine about the neighbors, watch Real Housewives or get nagged about his honey do’s for 18 hours.  

RIP to a badass naval aviator.  Reportedly the only pilot who shot down both Japanese and German planes in WWII.
Dean-Diz-Laird-1000x667-1.png

https://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/dean-diz-laird-1921-2022-world-war-ii-flying-ace/

Only US Naval Aviator who did it. There were plenty of AAF pilots who had kills in both theaters. Some Brits as well I believe.
  • Like 1

^This kind of sent me down a rabbit hole. 

Fleet Air Arm Pilot who had victories against the Germans and Japanese:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Cuthbert_Hay

Then there is only one Allied pilot who shot down one of each of the major Axis powers aircraft (Germany, Italy, Japan) during the war.  He also shot down an American plane, which is a pretty interesting story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Edward_Curdes

They have a P-51 in his markings at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson.  Well worth the visit if you ever get the chance:

Kill-Insignias-Close-01-e1487084730664.j

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

That is an unbelievably holy shit are you fucking kidding me story - especially the kicker at the end w/ the nurse! WOW!

On 10 February, Curdes, now a lieutenant, formed a squadron of four aircraft that departed from Mangaldan Airfield in the Philippines. Their objective was to investigate if the Japanese were using a temporary airstrip on the southern tip of Taiwan. No airfield could be found and Curdes returned to the Philippines.[2] Flying over the island of Batan, the squadron split; Curdes and Lieutenant Schmidtke headed north, while Lieutenants Scalley and La Croix headed south. Scalley and La Croix located a small Japanese airfield and attacked it and also called for reinforcement, Curdes and Schmidtke headed south to join them.[2]

During the attack on the airfield, La Croix was shot down and made an emergency landing in the sea. As the squadron circled, Curdes could see that his companion had survived, and remained in the area to guide a rescue plane and protect the downed pilot. While covering La Croix, Curdes noticed a larger plane preparing to land at the Batan airfield. He flew to investigate and found the aircraft to be a Douglas C-47 transport with US insignia. Curdes tried to make contact by radio but was not successful. He maneuvered his P-51 in front of the plane several times trying to get the C-47 to alter course, but the C-47 maintained its course.

Curdes reasoned that it was better to shoot down the aircraft rather than to allow the crew to be taken prisoners by the Japanese and fired into one of the C-47's two engines, causing it to fail. The C-47 maintained its course for the Batan airfield, so Curdes disabled the other engine, forcing the pilot to ditch in the sea.[2] The plane successfully ditched without breaking up, and the crew was able to evacuate into a lifeboat. La Croix approached and was brought on board the C-47's life raft, where he was informed about the situation. The plane had apparently been lost in poor weather and its radio had stopped working. As it was also running out of fuel, the pilot headed directly to the island's airstrip, unaware that it was under Japanese control.

At this point, poor light and lack of fuel forced Curdes to return to base. The next morning, he accompanied the rescue PBY to pick up the downed C-47 pilot and 11 crew members, including two nurses, all of whom had survived the incident. To Curdes's surprise, he discovered that one of the nurses was a woman with whom he had had a date the night before the incident (Svetlana Valeria). She and Curdes were married in 1946. Contrary to subsequent reports, Curdes did not receive a Distinguished Flying Cross for that event, although he did receive credit for the "Kill" and displayed it on his aircraft.[2]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

This nurse/crew member relationship was a thing. I had some relatives who met that way. He was a PBM Mariner pilot and she was a nurse on his C-54 (R5D) flight back home.

I just had a great lobstah dinnah with their progeny up in Boston the other day.

This nurse/crew member relationship was a thing. I had some relatives who met that way. He was a PBM Mariner pilot and she was a nurse on his C-54 (R5D) flight back home.

I just had a great lobstah dinnah with their progeny up in Boston the other day.

• 3 weeks later...

LoL @ "condition of the crew on board is unknown at this time."

Current theory is the pilot was likely unconscious after attempting a high-G maneuver in hopes of mitigating an earlier mistake. He G-loc'ed almost instantaneously and the L-29 continued its descending trajectory until impacting the ground at nearly 500 mph.

So, yeah, the crew's condition is less than satisfactory.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Kestrel?

If so, karen on the river crossing next door app is losing their mind over noise. ABATE NOISE.

Sounds the same every fucking weekend when the weather is nice.

Once a year. The open house is to invite bordering neighborhoods to come see what Kestrel is about, meet those of us who live here, have some free bbq and give rides to anyone who is interested. It is a vehicle to improve community relations with face to face interaction.

The Association constantly stresses to all that being good neighbors is critically important. 

The internet makes it easy for idiots to make uninformed snap judgements and the broadcast them to the world. Since this is surly, f$#k Karen.

Edited by Rv8riveter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...