2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

6 hours ago, Dewey said:

Been watching North Shore highlights all season, LOADED with talent. Maybe next year for LT.

NS again next year with the talent they are returning.

LT needs to fix their OL and aspects on defense.  

LT would  probably do better next year if they moved card back to receiver, for several reasons.  He's not a good passer under pressure, he's definitely still a take as an athelete, but he's not as good at this point as several QBs before him.  He was a really fucking good WR as a soph, I think he's been a pretty ok QB as a JR. he's regressed as the season wound down and the OL contributed, but he was 6-21 after 3 quarters.  Don't know the final stats but they weren't good.  

On 12/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, orange dream said:

Looks like there are two Scott Smiths?

One coached at Plano West for the last 4 years after being at Lake Highlands for several years before that. He went high school in Plano years ago.

smith-scott.jpg

The other one coached at Duncanville, Permian, HP and Rockwall and most recently has been coaching at Houston Baptist.  He went to high school at HP years ago.

This the one who is now at the private school in Frisco.

1522792184-NS_14ROCKWALLfootball6.jpg?q=

Not sure which one is the MF'r that wanted Longboard's brother to kiss his ass but was denied the pleasure.

The first one from Plano West. 

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't know shit about beaumont westbrook, but I'm kinda shocked they beat Westlake. I don't follow high school football like I used to (from 04-12), Beaumont never put out a team capable of winning a state championship. Unless I'm just missing someone.

They won a state championship in the 82-83 season. That year, they had Jerry Ball who played NT and RB and went on to star for the Detroit Lions. They also had Gerald Landry who started at QB for UH.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't know shit about beaumont westbrook, but I'm kinda shocked they beat Westlake. I don't follow high school football like I used to (from 04-12), Beaumont never put out a team capable of winning a state championship. Unless I'm just missing someone.

I think Westlake was down their starting QB,  RB,   and Center.  

NS was really good. LT was down on OL and DL this year. Next year should be better. I have seen a lot of really good running backs play against LT (Jonathan Gray, Malcom Brown, Kyle Porter, Deondrick Glass, Perine, the back from Allen, Judson's back, etc) and none are close to Evans. Kid is the best HS running back i have seen in a long time. 

Alvin Shadow Creek made the state final in their first year and plays Highland Park. I know Shadow Creek is right next to Manvel (and in the same Alvin isd) but are there any players from last years Manvel team that now play for Shadow Creek?  Last years Manvel vs Hp was perhaps the best game I’ve ever seen. 

I know it ain't changin, but I still think AT&T Stadium as a central site is stupid.  it certainly is for the non- 5A and 6A teams and in those classes gives the DFW teams too much advantage. I like the idea of all fans travelling, not just one team's.

Here's my best guess at where the games would be held in the old set-up.   yes, i am aware that the bigger schools would flip for home field like Texas Stadium and the Astrodome, but I still went neutral site for the big boys. Consider how far JerrahWorld is from some of the truer neutral sites

Duncanville vs GP North Shore *  DKR Memorial

Longview vs West Brook *   Homer Bryce Stadium/SFA

Highland Park vs Shadow Creek *  DKR Memorial

Aledo vs FB Marshall *  DKR Memorial

LaVega vs Liberty Hill *  Temple/ Belton

Pleasant Grove vs Cuero  *  McLane Stadium, Waco

Malakoff vs Grandview  *  Ennis

Canadian vs Newton( 600 miles apart, holy shite!) AT&T Stadium actually works, but Birdville or Newsom at Mansfield would have been more likely.

New Deal vs Mason  *  Shotwell, Abilene

Gruver vs Mart  *  Fair Park, Childress

McLean vs Milford  *  Memorial Stadium, Wichita Falls

Follett vs Strawn  *  Fair Park, Childress

Yeah agreed. It’s a big home field advantage to play the championships every year at AT&T. Just look a few years ago when they played at the Texans stadium and mostly Houston teams won. Really unfair to the rest of the state. And I say this as a resident of highland park so we certainly benefit. 

UIL probably get more money there so that’s probably your reason. 

That's absolutely why, and i'm not saying it's invalid as a reason.

There's also a value in the kids getting to play at Jerrahworld and I am not discounting that either.

I just like looking at it the way things used to be. There are definitely both pluses and minuses in the equation.

1 hour ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Alvin Shadow Creek made the state final in their first year and plays Highland Park. I know Shadow Creek is right next to Manvel (and in the same Alvin isd) but are there any players from last years Manvel team that now play for Shadow Creek?  Last years Manvel vs Hp was perhaps the best game I’ve ever seen. 

IIRC that Manvel team was very senior-loaded. I’m sure there are guys from the roster on SC, but I can’t imagine any of the impact players are. That’s not at all to dismiss them as a team, but I just don’t see this as a “rematch.”

57 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Yeah agreed. It’s a big home field advantage to play the championships every year at AT&T. Just look a few years ago when they played at the Texans stadium and mostly Houston teams won. Really unfair to the rest of the state. And I say this as a resident of highland park so we certainly benefit. 

UIL probably get more money there so that’s probably your reason. 

That and there isn't enough uil staff to cover that many sites, unless you stagger game days over a weeks time.

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

My older brothers senior year (2004 I believe), we played Allen in the quarter finals and lost. 5a at the time. We had just north of 2000 people in our high school. They had 4800. How the fuck does that even make sense. 

it’s the heavyweight division in boxing.  you may weigh 220, you’re still fighting the dude who is 6’9” 300#.

57 minutes ago, slorch said:

That's absolutely why, and i'm not saying it's invalid as a reason.

There's also a value in the kids getting to play at Jerrahworld and I am not discounting that either.

I just like looking at it the way things used to be. There are definitely both pluses and minuses in the equation.

Don’t disagree but I love being able to go to so many games.  Usually hit 8 or so, so much fun with about a dozen old Hs buddies.  We are old - in our 60’s.

18 minutes ago, pacman said:

That and there isn't enough uil staff to cover that many sites, unless you stagger game days over a weeks time.

????????Wat????????????

so there are not 12 people at UIL to hand out trophies?

Other than that, what game specific staff is needed?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I know it ain't changin, but I still think AT&T Stadium as a central site is stupid.  it certainly is for the non- 5A and 6A teams and in those classes gives the DFW teams too much advantage. I like the idea of all fans travelling, not just one team's.

Here's my best guess at where the games would be held in the old set-up.   yes, i am aware that the bigger schools would flip for home field like Texas Stadium and the Astrodome, but I still went neutral site for the big boys. Consider how far JerrahWorld is from some of the truer neutral sites

Canadian vs Newton( 600 miles apart, holy shite!) AT&T Stadium actually works, but Birdville or Newsom at Mansfield would have been more likely.

Agreed.   In 2016 when we (Calallen) played Aledo,  we had to travel 390 miles up I-35 which takes forever due to it being a constant construction zone on top of the volume of traffic vs Aledo who hoped on their Yellow beasts and made the short trip of 33 miles a couple of hours before the game.   So they get a full extra day to prepare, sleep in the comfort of their own homes, etc  while we had to leave on Thursday and get up there late and do a walk through at Arlington Martin High.   Yea the UIL is really looking at this thing at objective and neutral angle.  And let's not go into the great expense it was for the fans and the school district as well.    

We should of played that game at DKR under the old rules.  I don't give a chit what the UIL, Fox sports or the DFW area homers say about attendance draw and all that crap.  The state title games were not by design constructed to be an attendance draw.   If the UIL thinks it's vital to and fair to the rest of the state to move around title games for other sports or hold them at a central location like they always did in the Austin area and the UT campus, then why not go back to it with football.   Besides with today's technology, you don't need these huge production crew and all that to broadcast these games.  Some of the playoff games broadcast on Texan Live and NHSN have been great. Streaming allows you to put it on your big screen or take it with you anywhere.  

The other thing that bugs the hell out of me is the venue is allowed to be used for late round playoff games.   Sorry,    familarity with a venue is a big thing with these younger kids vs the older ones in the college and pro ranks.   Starting with round two, AT&T should be off limits for playoff games.  Period.    There are plenty of other venues to hold these games and if the weather has to be a factor, so be it.   When did we become wussies about the weather???????

20 minutes ago, pacman said:

Staffing isn't an issue.  The NCAA just had their title games for D2 and D3 in Texas venues far away from Indy.   When any championship is held, they assign a host school or conference and the staffs of those schools are used to help the NCAA with things like sports information, venue coordination, etc.   The Lone Star Conferene assisted in the D2 game yesterday in McKinney.   There are plenty of coaches and AD's around the state who would gladly assist in coordination with some incentive pay involved this time of year too.  A few additional  Benjis this time of year comes in handy.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

They won a state championship in the 82-83 season. That year, they had Jerry Ball who played NT and RB and went on to star for the Detroit Lions. They also had Gerald Landry who started at QB for UH.

wasn't that the first year for the school? Like a Texas version of Remember the Titans?

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

wasn't that the first year for the school? Like a Texas version of Remember the Titans?

I don't know. I can't remember a thing after getting trucked by Jerry Ball. But, yes it was their first year, a merger between Hebert High School and Forest Park High School. It looks like they had another pro on that team, Darrell Colbert, a WR. They were also probably pretty good when James Brown and Frank Middleton were there and when Christine Michael and Taylor Reed were there.

9 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Manvel will get affected even more with Alvin ISD announcing plans for a 4th high school.  May open by 2022.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/pearland-news/article/Alvin-ISD-announces-plans-for-a-fourth-high-school-13461330.php

13 hours ago, Bevo said:

Man, Jerry Ball was a beast!  Whenever I hear some coach say 'so and so' defensive lineman is too short to play here, I think of the same dumbass who would pass a Jerry Ball.  Dude was like 5'10" and the most dominant defensive lineman in college football when he played.

24 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

They had it in Houston and attendance was down considerably. If you think they're just going to eat that loss to make you guys feel better then you're wasting your time.

That was never the point in my post, in fact having it in Houston would only exacerbate the issue.  That's why it was even less attended.

I would submit that attendance isn't the primary goal of UIL events, nor are TV numbers.  

Southeast Texas as a whole has probably put out more talent per capita than anywhere else in the state. 

The local high schools have had some really good teams. The now defunct Beaumont French was the last team to win state in 1984. The thing with this area is that there has been a lot of individual talent but the high schools are not systems like Katy, Lake Travis, etc. The athletes are better but they aren’t coached the same.

Also, James Brown is the reason why I went to UT.

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Texas City and LaMarque both won state in 97 in the 4A divisions ...LaMarque was still an ISD then but same uil district.  

TCISD absorbed LaMarque a couple years ago 

Crazy to remember this - La Marque finished 3rd in the district that year. Lamar Consolidated had Michael Lewis (best player I've ever played against) at QB and took second. La Marque had Roylin Bradley and Dwain Goynes that went to A&M. Texas City sent four kids (Tyrone Jones, Jermaine Anderson, Ervis Hill and Everick Rawls) to Texas after that season in Mack's transition class. Weirdly enough, the two best players on that Texas City team were the RB Adrian Daniels (grades I think) and a sophomore DT named Marcel Moses that was once committed to Texas but never made it to campus...damn, I officially an old. Also, Daniels went for over 400 total yards (I think like 330 of that rushing) in the state title game 

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Longview alone would sell out Homer Bryce today. They and Lufkin had 23,000 or so there years ago.