CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

On 1/2/2019 at 11:28 PM, LTtxfan said:

New York Jets: Manish Meta tweets to “keep an eye” on Baylor’s Matt Rhule as the Jets look to fill their head coaching opening. Rhule has spent the past two seasons in Waco (1-11 in year one and 7-6 this past season), and prior to that was the head coach and Temple for four years (28-23 overall including 10-win seasons in 2015 and 2016). Prior to that, he spent a year on staff as the assistant offensive line coach for the NY Giants, and was a part of the Temple staff as an assistant or coordinator from 2006-11.

New York Jets: The Jets are “interested” in Baylor’s Matt Rhule, tweets ESPN’s Dan Graziano. The club will be in Texas this weekend to interview Cowboys assistant Kris Richard on Sunday.

32 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Day keeping Schiano is almost like Riley keeping Stoops.

Well, both Day and Riley are OCs who were promoted to the top spot when the head coach retired, and both Schiano and Stoops are DCs who were already on the staff at the time. In that respect, they'd be exactly the same. 

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Would be surprised if Scott goes to Miami..... Better gigs than that for a guy with his pedigree.

Lots of theatrics and misdirection in all of these frenzy hires that fulfill multiple agendas, not just from the schools but the alleged “candidates under consideration “. Some are pay raise shakedowns, others are schills to get foot draggers  to sign. Entertaining but not always/often accurate IMO.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 2

The latest summary:

School Out Why? In
Akron Terry Bowden Fired Tom Arth
Appalachian State Scott Satterfield Move to Louisville Eli Drinkwitz
Bowling Green Mike Jinks Fired Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan John Bonamego Fired Jim McElwain
Charlotte Brad Lambert Fired Will Healy
Colorado Mike MacIntyre Fired Mel Tucker
East Carolina Scottie Montgomery Fired Mike Houston
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson Retired Geoff Collins
Houston Major Applewhite Fired Dana Holgorsen
Kansas David Beaty Fired Les Miles
Kansas State Bill Snyder "Retired" Chris Klieman
Liberty Turner Gill Retired Hugh Freeze
Louisville Bobby Petrino Fired Scott Satterfield
Maryland DJ Durkin Fired Mike Locksley
Massachusetts Mark Whipple Fired Walt Bell
Miami Mark Richt Retired Manny Diaz
North Carolina Larry Fedora Fired Mack Brown
Ohio State Urban Meyer Retired (for now) Ryan Day
Temple - Part I Geoff Collins Move to Atlanta Manny Diaz
Temple - Part II Manny Diaz Move to Miami  
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired Matt Wells
Troy Neal Brown Move to Morgantown  
Utah State Matt Wells Move to Lubbock Gary Anderson
West Virginia Dana Holgorsen Move to Houston Neal Brown
Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Fired Tyson Helton
  • Like 2

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Do you think an NFL team, much less Urban Meyer, would have ever hire Mike Stoops as even a coordinator?   He’s a fool.  

Mike Stoop has gone from a somewhat respected defensive coach circa mid 2000's to a complete caricature of himself.  By any statistical measure, his defenses are horrible in both talent and scheme.  Meanwhile, there he is on the sidelines yelling and screaming at players.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Mike Stoop has gone from a somewhat respected defensive coach circa mid 2000's to a complete caricature of himself.  By any statistical measure, his defenses are horrible in both talent and scheme.  Meanwhile, there he is on the sidelines yelling and screaming at players.

All true.  But he ate Greg Davis’s lunch. 

My kid goes to Troy and they are heartbroken over losing Neal Brown.

They knew he wouldn’t stay forever but they love him and what he’s done down there has been amazing.

And he did it the right way. He not only stayed to tell the team, he went to their basketball game last night and spoke to the students and fans to thank them and tell them goodbye and that he owes everything to the university.

He’s a class dude. Whoever they hire has mighty big shoes to fill.

WVU got a great coach.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't really have an issue with this. If he signed a contract with USC, well, contracts are contracts and they are binding.

My thought is I (would have assumed) the ability to be named USC head coach mid season as attractive vs a handful of NFL spots, that's all...

As a general rule, in the long run, you and your organization will fare better if you work for the good of those under you. More and higher quality people will want to work for you and will work harder. Inmates are not known for their exceptional performance on behalf of wardens, for the most part. The whole “you can’t quit” attitude is not a recipe for building esprit de corps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

That's just fucked up by USC.  It would be understandable if he was being interviewed for NFL OC jobs, but these are head coaching job interviews. It's industry standard to allow employees to interview for promotions.   

After 2 weeks though?  You would be spot on if we were talking a year from  now.  I'm seriously not sure why Kingsbury jumped the gun, there were rumors he'd get a look at the NFL as soon as he was fired, all he had to do was wait out the NFL season.  I'm sure if those had fallen through he could have lived off his tech buyout for year working as one of Sabans analyst, then gotten a college  OC gig.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I mean, Kingsbury kind of has to quit USC at this point, right?

He’s been there less than a month and I can’t imagine starting off with all this nonsense bodes well for his relationship with Helton and the AD there.

No way they can just let bygones be bygones after all this.

I would think the atmosphere has to be caustic now.

If I were USC, I'd let KK interview for HC jobs but they're well within their rights to hold him.  They made a commitment to him and he signed a contract.  Part of that commitment is USC chose not to hire another OC.  How would everyone fell is the fired KK a moth after hiring him because a better OC came along?  Same difference.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I'm sure Browns wife is excited about the extra 2.5M a year, until she realizes Pittsburgh is probably the closest city she can spend it. 

The wife and family thing is the most underrated thing in all of coaching hires.  Sure, they money is nice but the wives don't want to live in some rural outpost.  The husband/coach is at work or traveling all the time.  Meanwhile, she's still in Bumblefuckville.

Well, she’s been living in Troy, Alabama.

She had to drive an hour to get to a freaking Target.

My kid loves going to school there and I’m super happy with our experience so far but the “city” has 19,000 people. Take out the 8,000 students and it’s tiny.

Morgantown has a population of 30,000.

They’re actually moving up lol.

They’ve got a Dick’s and Bed Bath & Beyond and Hobby Lobby and Ann Taylor Loft and Old Navy and Sam’s Club and Talbots and Target TJ Maxx and Ulta!!!

Troy has a Wal-Mart and Publix and multiple Dollar Generals.

She’s going to be in heaven!

• Like 1