CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Just now, The Ace of Aces said:

Shaw probably gets fired after this season imo. Tree has lost 11 straight vs FBS teams and look like a mediocre FCS program.  They don’t care a ton about football but he’s killed the program. 

Not to totally excuse their futility, but Stanford has very restrictive transfer rules that they don’t relax for sports.  In this era of college football, that puts you at a big disadvantage.  The next guy will have to contend with that.  It puts a premium on development and retention.   For Shaw this has been a problem because the “intellectual brutality” approach requires hitting on multiple classes of linemen and TEs.  At other places if you have good skill talent you can cobble together lines to make a good offense.  His system won’t tolerate that.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Shaw probably gets fired after this season imo. Tree has lost 11 straight vs FBS teams and look like a mediocre FCS program.  They don’t care a ton about football but he’s killed the program. 

If they don’t, it cements that Stanford doesn’t care about football.  Which is suspected anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not to totally excuse their futility, but Stanford has very restrictive transfer rules that they don’t relax for sports.  In this era of college football, that puts you at a big disadvantage.  The next guy will have to contend with that.  It puts a premium on development and retention.   For Shaw this has been a problem because the “intellectual brutality” approach requires hitting on multiple classes of linemen and TEs.  At other places if you have good skill talent you can cobble together lines to make a good offense.  His system won’t tolerate that.  

Oh, absolutely agree. It has to be one of the hardest D1 programs in the country to recruit to now. But I don’t see them keeping him after this season. Sometimes change can be good. They’ll find out it often isn’t. 

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Oh, absolutely agree. It has to be one of the hardest D1 programs in the country to recruit to now. But I don’t see them keeping him after this season. Sometimes change can be good. They’ll find out it often isn’t. 

Shaw at Wisconsin or CU could work.

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I was out here this weekend, and the only thing I saw that said “Stanford” was the sign at the exit in Palo Alto. No proud Cardinal fans wandering around. 

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Always wondered why Shaw is still considered a good coach -- he's really been trending down except for the 2020 COVID season.

YUCK !!!

Screenshot_2022-10-09-20-20-54_kindlephoto-13683024.png.d31e9f42dcd3b23c3556d11e5892bdc1.png

Screenshot_2022-10-09-20-20-54_kindlephoto-13569487.png.1662e5ba335b982ee9e2522754b20542.png

Most recent compensation info:

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/10/21/pac-12-football-salaries-which-coaches-are-overpaid-judge-for-yourself/

1. Stanford’s David Shaw

2021 salary: $8.9 million
Contract length: unknown
Comment: The figure is actually for the 2019 calendar year, according to USA Today, and represents a significant one-time bump from Shaw’s usual compensation. (Typically, he approaches $5 million annually.) Still, it’s a whopper of a number that places Shaw on the same level as coaches who regularly reach the College Football Playoff. It also renders laughable the university’s justification (budget woes) for attempting to cut 11 Olympic sports.
Verdict: Overpaid. Nobody is worth $8.9 million, except Nick Saban.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I was out here this weekend, and the only thing I saw that said “Stanford” was the sign at the exit in Palo Alto. No proud Cardinal fans wandering around. 

That’s because they’re fucking nerds. They probably don’t even realize it’s football season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lessons will continue to be taught until they are learned. Even the casual observer understands teams just don’t “get” good instantly. They have to be given the time to “become” good. The winningest teams in college ball are generally those with tenured coaches who have been given time to build their programs. (See Kentucky and Oklahoma State among others) The wilderness wandering of UNL is what happens when an admixture of bad decisions and impatience rule the day.

37 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

That’s because they’re fucking nerds. They probably don’t even realize it’s football season. 

Tiger Woods and Chelsea Clinton we’re prancing around in their Stanford gear like royalty when they were playing meaningful games. Now, all of a sudden, they’ve got “better things to do.”

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Nope said:

Is this guy a legit source? Not seeing any verified accounts talking about this

Not sure...   Did find this:

Harsin is owed 70% of his remaining contract value if Auburn fires him without cause prior to the end of the deal, according to documents obtained by ESPN. That equates to just over $15 million if he's fired in the middle of the season. Half of that amount will be due within 30 days of termination -- a stipulation that was previously included in Malzahn's contract as well.

In a saga that's best suited for a daytime soap opera rather than a football program, Harsin's first season ended with a five-game losing streak and a 6-7 final record that culminated with a loss to Houston in the Birmingham Bowl. The offseason included even more drama. Multiple coaches left the program, including defensive coordinator Derek Mason, who took the same role at Oklahoma State. More than 20 players transferred to other programs and traditional National Signing Day came and went without the Tigers signing a single additional player (17 signed during the Early Signing Period). Influential power brokers attempted to oust Harsin in early February, but the embattled coach was able to keep his job after hanging in limbo for several days. 

9 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Harsin is out?

I originally thought he might be an ok hire. I was totally wrong. One of the worst things going on there has been the abysmal offensive line play, for about four, or five, seasons now. The QB play has been terrible, and even more frustrating is that Bo Nix has done well at Oregon. 

UGa’s QB Bennett had about a 60-yard TD run Saturday. He’s a good QB but, no way in hell should he be able to run 60 yards for a TD against an AU defense. 

To me, AU football is solid running backs, good QB play and fantastic defense. Right now they have nothing that I can see that they do well. In year two there should be some improvement. There has been none, and Ole’ Miss, Bama, Mississippi State, Arky, A&M are still to play.

It’s bad.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

But does Rhule want Nebraska?  I expect there will be some more exciting opportunities available.

Does he spend a spend a year in Saban's program?

Could see him waiting out a year in Sabans Rehab Program for the OU job. That would be a problem for us. I think Auburn is a better opportunity than Nebraska.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, South Austin said:

It may happen before then. If OU ends up with a losing season, I can see them treating Venables as a one-year stop gap and going after Rhule.

As much as I hate OU, this is probably the worst thing they can do here. No coach worth their salt will ever look their way again if they cut their losses after 1 year.

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

As much as I hate OU, this is probably the worst thing they can do here. No coach worth their salt will ever look their way again if they cut their losses after 1 year.

So so so many people wanted Sark gone after year 1 or this year. 

You fire a guy after year 1 or 2, you've made yourself toxic af. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

The more I think about it... I could see Nebraska hiring Bill O'brien, Rhule going to Bama as OC for a year and then fielding the best offer at that point. Makes the most sense.

Has Rhule called plays in the last decade? I don't see OC as an option for him given all the bigger opportunities he'd have available either now or later.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Rhule is the coach Nebraska needs right now... I don't think they will pass him up and I don't think they will be outbid.

Yeah, but does Rhule even want to live/coach at Nebraska??

Auburn is most likely too toxic for Rhule.

GaTech seems like a helluva opportunity. Also if he wants to go back out west, AzState could be a great gig too.

21 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Rhule will get a HC gig and probably a good one. This firing opens up lots of different moving parts already. Does Elijah Robinson leave to be his DC? If Davis goes back to the NFL does Okam come home? Does Joe Brady need an image cleanse and reunite with Rhule? 

Joe Brady is doing fine with the Buffalo Bills.