CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, but does Rhule even want to live/coach at Nebraska??

Auburn is most likely too toxic for Rhule.

GaTech seems like a helluva opportunity. Also if he wants to go back out west, AzState could be a great gig too.

Forgot about AzState... I could see that too. Kind of a Baylor situation where expectations are more tempered, he'd get longer to do what he wants, with bonus of a better place to live.

Mexico dismisses offensive coordinator

Derek Warehime has been dismissed midway through his third season.

DOUG SAMUELS        20 HOURS AGO

Head coach Danny Gonzales announced a change in leadership on the offensive side of the ball today, marking the third FBS coordinator change of the day.  Derek Warehime, who had been part of the staff the past three seasons, has been dismissed. He served as the program's offensive coordinator and tight ends coach.

Heath Ridenour, the Lobos quarterbacks coach, will serve as the interim offensive coordinator for the remainder of the season while graduate assistant Matt Clark, who assisted with the tight ends, will step into the interim tight ends role. 

Before joining the UNM staff, Warehime spent a few seasons on the Texas staff, starting off as offensive line coach before moving to tight ends and then special teams coordinator.

The Lobos offense struggled to find a rhythm all of 2021 as they shuffled four QBs,  including a graduate manager to end the season.

This year, they'e had to deal with key absences at receiver and running back and are averaging just over 19 points per game, which ranks 117th nationally.

• Haha 2

Looks like Georgia Tech Head Coaching job got better...

Nick Saban praises Georgia Tech hiring J Batt, former Alabama administrator, as new AD

Andrew Olson | 3 hours ago

J Batt is officially Georgia Tech’s new athletic director. Hours after it was reported that Batt was Georgia Tech’s top target for the position, the hire was officially announced.

Georgia Tech’s announcement includes statements from Nick Saban, Greg Byrne and others praising Batt’s work as executive deputy director of Athletics, chief operating officer, and chief revenue officer with UA athletics.

Saban called Batt a trusted advisor:

“Since arriving at Alabama, J has positively affected our program through the success of the Crimson Standard Initiative while being a trusted advisor to our athletic director, Greg Byrne, and an essential part of our administrative team. We set a vision for the future of Alabama Athletics and Alabama football through the Crimson Standard and J as well as his team delivered with impressive results.”

Byrne said that Georgia Tech made a home-run hire with Batt:

J has been such a strong leader as part of our executive team at Alabama. He has incredible vision and has done an outstanding job overseeing many areas of the department, beginning with development when he arrived in 2017,” said Byrne. “He has done a masterful job with the operations of the department. J has been involved in all of our major decisions and has provided constructive insight and feedback to make us better. His experience working directly with our student-athletes, our coaches and Athletics staff, university leadership, and fan base has prepared him well for this moment. We are thrilled for J, his wife, Leah, and boys, Fitz and Graham. Georgia Tech made a home-run hire with J.”

Batt joined the University of Alabama Athletics team as senior associate athletic director in 2017. Batt’s first big task will be hiring a new head football coach for the Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech’s current interim head coach is Brent Key, who was on the Alabama football coaching staff from 2016-to-2018 as the offensive line coach.

Edited by LTtxfan

CFB Coaching Hot Seat Updates

• Jeff Scott might be dead man walking at South Florida
  • Harsin needs to win today or most folks believe he'll get fired on Sunday
  • Andy Avalos at Boise State hearing footsteps when Harsin gets fired (not sure why)
  • Neal Brown may need to reach a bowl game to survive at West Virginia
  • Criticism increasing for David Shaw to be let go at Stanford
  • Pat Fitzgerald is beginning to feel pressure at Northwestern
  • Scott Satterfield needs to hold things together at Louisville or he may be out
  • Willie Taggert at FAU on thin ice
  • Jake Spavital may still be coaching to save his job even with win over App State
  • Some folks want Venables gone if blOU does not make a bowl game

On 10/15/2022 at 5:38 AM, LTtxfan said:

• Andy Avalos at Boise State hearing footsteps when Harsin gets fired (not sure why)
  • Scott Satterfield needs to hold things together at Louisville or he may be out
  • Jake Spavital may still be coaching to save his job even with win over App State

They actually played decent football but, still lost with Arky, Bulldogs, Aggie and Bama still to play.

Charlotte fires Will Healy

The 49ers dropped to 1-7 following a loss to FIU on Saturday.

ZACH BARNETT       OCT 23, 2022

Charlotte has dismissed head coach Will Healy, the program announced Sunday. Offensive line coach Pete Rossomando has been appointed interim head coach. 

The move comes a day after the 49ers lost to FIU, 34-15, dropping the club to 1-7 on the season.

"We are grateful to Will Healy for the incredible energy and enthusiasm he brought to our program," said AD Mike Hill. "He made an impact here that will never be forgotten. Sadly, however, our on-field results have not met expectations. Will and his family are special people and we wish them the best."

Charlotte is 15-24 under Healy's leadership. After a 7-6 debut, the club went 2-4 in 2020, 5-7 last season, and has won just one of eight games to begin 2022.

Healy, 37, rose to prominence in 2017, after leading Austin Peay to an 8-4 season one year removed from an 0-11 campaign. The Governors would finish 5-6 in 2018, but the turnaround at Peay was enough to get Healy the Charlotte job in 2019, making him the youngest FBS head coach at the time. 

"I want to thank , Chancellor (Phil) Dubois and Chancellor (Sharon) Gaber for giving me the opportunity and support at this special place," Healy said. "We were fortunate to have some special moments. I was able to work with some outstanding coaches and staff members and coach an incredible group of young men. I want to thank the students, boosters and fan base for the support they've shown over the years and I apologize for not being able to bring the results that we were striving for. I'm really proud of the young men in our locker room. I'm a 49ers fan for life and I know the future of this university is bright."

Charlotte's next head coach will be the program's third since its 2013 revival, and will look to become the first to compile a winning record at the school. Brad Lambert went 22-48 from 2013-18, and Healy exits with a 14-19 mark. 

With an urban campus in a growing city surrounded by a recruits and entrance to the American Athletic Conference coming next season, Charlotte will be one of the most sought-after positions at the Group of 5 level this cycle.  

On 10/15/2022 at 2:38 AM, LTtxfan said:

I don't see it with Fitzgerald.  They may be middling, but he gets more from less than just about anyone.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't see it with Fitzgerald.  They may be middling, but he gets more from less than just about anyone.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read it. The Northwestern job is pretty difficult because they are in the Big 10.

Just posted it for discussion.

Thx SB

On 10/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, Sbbruin said:

He also hasn’t stopped anyone since his long time DC retired. If you have 3 dogshit seasons out of 4, people are going to start wondering 

This seems like the right place to put this. Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Doug Lesmires (pronounced ‘Lay-mur-ece’) took Kirk Ferentz to task after the OSU game last Saturday about how he could change QBs when one was struggling but not his son the OC. Then he wrote an article openly calling for Brian Ferentz to be fired. Check any Hawkeye message board. Their fans agree with Doug.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2022/10/kirk-ferentz-is-failing-iowas-fans-and-his-son-brian-ferentz-should-be-fired-doug-lesmerises.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Iowa changed quarterbacks Saturday, maybe because the starter is named Spencer Petras and not Spencer Ferentz. Unfortunately for Iowa fans and every player on the Iowa football team working hard in practice, the change that needs to be made at offensive coordinator won’t even be considered until this dismal Iowa football season is done.

And then, given the power Kirk Ferentz wields in Iowa City and the family ties that led him to install his son Brian as the offensive coordinator in the first place in 2017, there’s no guarantee the necessary change will be made then.

Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, the oldest of Kirk’s five children, should be fired. Now.

But it won’t happen now because across 24 seasons Kirk Ferentz has built up walls of power in Iowa City while winning 181 games as easily the longest-tenured coach in major college football. He’s now crawled inside of a cave of nepotism and sealed the entrance with a $42 million buyout that makes it incredibly difficult for Iowa to fire the 67-year-old head coach.

That leaves the head coach to fire his 39-year-old out-of-ideas son, who was handed the reins to a Big Ten offense at age 34 after working for just two head coaches in his whole life -- his dad and his dad’s good friend Bill Belichick.

Spoiler

Saturday, Iowa benched Petras to start the second half, a move many Iowa fans had been waiting for. In came Alex Padilla, who hadn’t played since the Big Ten championship game a year ago. Neither quarterback was effective -- they were a combined 11 of 24 for 81 yards and three interceptions in a 54-10 loss to Ohio State.

That’s because the same person was running the offense for both of them.

Rutgers fired offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson this season. Boise State fired offensive coordinator Tim Plough. Indiana fired offensive line coach Darren Hiller. Five head coaches have been fired, including Wisconsin’s Paul Chryst and Nebraska’s Scott Frost in the Big Ten West.

At Iowa, Ferentz will bench the player -- Brian Ferentz told Padilla he’d be starting the second half -- but not entertain holding the coach to account mid-year.

“I think you’re talking about two separate job descriptions in two separate areas of responsibility,” Ferentz said.

Yes, Brian Ferentz is making $900,000 this season as an adult employed in a job. The amateur quarterbacks don’t make that. Two separate job descriptions for sure.

“I know people do it,” Ferentz said of mid-year firings, “know it’s been done. It’s been done this year. Again, it’s just not my preference. My preference has been to play it out. And there’s evidence to show that, you know, it’s worked pretty well in the past. So we’ll play it out.

“And then we’ll do our assessments and our evaluations whenever the season is over, and the season is not over. So when the season is over, we’ll make an evaluation on what’s best for our program.”

In the meantime, this is an embarrassment for Iowa, and nepotism remains a stain on college football. Iowa is the prime and worst example, and I asked Ferentz if having a family member run one of the least productive units in the nation put Iowa in a bad light.

“It has no bearing on who the person is,” Ferentz said. “It’s just a matter of who is coaching our football team. The guys on our staff are guys that have demonstrated success. They’re good people. We’re gonna keep pushing forward.”

Iowa has a rule against nepotism hires, but the football program skirted it by having Brian Ferentz report directly to athletic director Gary Barta. The problem is that at many major football programs, the football coach may as well be the AD’s boss. Barta isn’t going to do anything Kirk Ferentz doesn’t want. When I tracked down Barta after the game, he certainly didn’t sound like the person in charge of Brian’s future.

“First of all, Kirk’s been doing this for a long time,” Barta said. “I’ve been with him for 17 years, and at the end of the year, he evaluates every part of the program, every staff member. And that’s what I know he’ll do this year.

“In the meantime, we have five games. He’s never changed staff members in the middle of the season. That’s his plan now, and I’m going to support him, and at the end of the season, we’ll see where it goes.”

Also, Barta agrees that 20-something amateurs are on the hook midseason, and 30-something employees are not.

“Changing players is something that happens all the time in the middle of the season,” Barta said. “Again, it goes back to Kirk’s philosophy, his approach. And in 23 years, he’s never changed a staff member in the middle of the season. And he’s not planning to do that right now. And I’ll support him.”

This is not the first time family trumped program in college football, but it should be called out in every moment. Florida State legend Bobby Bowden hired his son, Jeff, as offensive coordinator in 2001 until Jeff quit in November 2006 after a 30-0 loss to Wake Forest. Joe Paterno had his son Jay on staff for 17 years, 12 as the quarterbacks coach, there until the bitter end. Jim Harbaugh’s son, Jay, has been on his father’s staff every year at Michigan.

Those are just a few examples. Ralph Russo of the Associated Press looked before the season and found head coaches employing family members at 25 of the 65 power conference schools. That’s a 38% nepotism rate.

What a lucky coincidence for all those millionaire head coaches that the most qualified people for those jobs happened to be related to them!

It’s a joke, and anyone who cares about college football should want it stopped. Any program could be next.

It’s easy to hide the favoritism when things are working. For instance, I think Corey Dennis, the son-in-law of Urban Meyer, wasn’t the most qualified person Ryan Day could have hired as quarterbacks coach in 2020. That’s nepotism by proxy, but the OSU offense is rolling.

The Iowa offense is now failing, and we should care because it could happen to any college football program. A college football head coach is not a king, and he doesn’t get to hand out jobs by blood. The Ferentz family can leave Iowa whenever they want, but Iowa fans are locked in for life. A football program at a state university is a public trust. Loyal Hawkeyes aren’t going to abandon their program, so at the moment, they’re held hostage by a head coach treating the program like a family business.

Ferentz since 2015 has also employed his own PR firm separate from the university. A rep from that firm stood in the postgame news conference. While Ferentz exploits his power in hiring family at Iowa, he also has separated himself to polish his own image.

Meanwhile, Iowa football suffers.

“We’ve had downturns before,” Barta said. “Brian has been on the staff for 12 years. He’s shown that he’s a quality coach and is qualified to do the job. At the end of the season, Kirk will evaluate him and he’ll evaluate all the other coaches and we’ll make plans for next year. But in the meantime, his leadership is we have five games left so we have to get ready for all five of those games.”

They would have a better chance with an offensive coaching change. Iowa’s offense entered Saturday last in the nation in yards per game, averaging 238.8, and managed just 158 vs. Ohio State. Iowa’s only touchdown came on defense, and in seven games, the Iowa offense has seven touchdowns and the Iowa defense has three.

This isn’t a new problem. Iowa started Saturday 128th in points and 131st in yards among 131 major college teams. Last season, the Hawkeyes were 99th in points and 121st in yards.

A year ago, Iowa’s Football Outsiders efficiency rating on defense was No. 5. On offense it was No. 92. This year, its defense is No. 2 and offense No. 101. Last season, the 10-4 Hawkeyes made the Big Ten title game in spite of their offense. Now, the 3-4 Hawkeyes are losing directly because of it.

Ferentz points to past success when pressed on current failures. He mentioned something Saturday about a win over Penn State in 2000. Brian Ferentz wasn’t calling the plays then -- he was in high school.

When I started one question by noting that Iowa has one of the least productive offenses in the country, Ferentz interrupted to say, “I’ve noticed that.”

He just won’t do anything about it. He won’t do anything about his kid he put in charge. As Ferentz hides behind a pledge to never fire a coach midseason, no one should trust a fair evaluation of Brian will come at the end of the season.

This is what happens in a fading monarchy. The king holds on to power as tight as he can. Wisconsin didn’t let that happen with Chryst, for instance. Iowa will have a choice to make with Ferentz if he doesn’t make the needed change with his son.

“We’ve tried to treat everybody with consistency on our staff, past and present,” Ferentz said. “Same thing with players. I’ve had three family members play as well in our program, and they had to earn everything they get, just like coaches do.”

You can only shake your head. Kirk Ferentz has done much for the Iowa program, which between Ferentz and Hayden Fry has employed just two head coaches over the past 44 years. But the Ferentz family has not earned the right to employ people who aren’t up to the job.

The Iowa football program doesn’t belong to Kirk Ferentz. It belongs to the people of Iowa and the fans of the Hawkeyes. By putting family first, Ferentz is betraying them.

Someone at Iowa has to stand up and make it stop.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Sources: Hugh Freeze, Liberty agree on long-term contract

With his Flames a 2-point try away from an 8-0 start, Liberty moves to lock up Freeze ahead of college football's coaching carousel season.

ZACH BARNETT & JOHN BRICE 4 HRS AGO

Hugh Freeze and Liberty have agreed on a new contract covering eight seasons and averaging nearly $5 million per year, sources told FootballScoop on Friday. 

ESPN's Pete Thamel first reported the news.

The news comes as Freeze has Liberty at 7-1 before heading to Arkansas after their current off week. Having lost quarterback Malik Willis to the NFL draft, the Flames are a 2-point conversion at No. 10 Wake Forest away from entering November undefeated.

The contract is a move by Liberty to lock up Freeze before an anticipated opening at Auburn, among other Power 5 positions already opened or expected to open in this coaching cycle. The 53-year-old stands to be a natural candidate for a hypothetical opening on the Plains given his ongoing success at Liberty and his 5-year run at Ole Miss, which culminated with a Sugar Bowl victory and an AP Top 10 ranking in 2015.

The contract is fully guaranteed on Liberty's end, but sources indicate the buyout would not be prohibitive should a Power 5 program come after Freeze

Freeze is 33-12 in nearly four full seasons at Liberty, complete with a 10-1 record and an AP Top 20 ranking in 2020. 

Liberty is set to join Conference USA next fall and will become instant favorites to win the league upon arrival.

(Wonder how much the new buyout is for other schools that might want to poach Freeze?) 

Edited by LTtxfan

I'll argue that Auburn is not a good job.  Sure, they have a history but their boosters have wildly unrealistic expectations.  They have a good recruiting base but prolly 10 others programs hit that area just as hard.  Throw in OU and Texas now hitting that area, too.

But yes, Auburn is a significantly better job that Ole Miss, which is generally small, poor, and not as committed to football as Auburn.

14 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Is Auburn really a better job than Ole Miss? Getting away from pregnant coeds is the only clear advantage Auburn has for Kiffin.

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Significantly better. 

Fuck that place. They have legit rogue boosters who will either start a coup or undermine you

New AD at Auburn...

Guess he's gonna make next Head Football Coach hire.  Previously a baseball coach and AD at Mississippi State.

Auburn reaches deal with new AD     

River Wells - 1h ago

The Auburn Tigers have reportedly found their new athletic director for the foreseeable future.  Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger reported on Monday that Auburn has selected Mississippi State athletic director John Cohen to head its athletic department. Cohen is slated to resign from his current post with the Bulldogs and could be named as Auburn’s new athletic director the same day.

Cohen reportedly is signing a five-year contract at $1.5 million a year — a notably higher total than what previous athletic director Allen Greene was paid. Greene made $625 thousand a year, so the significant price increase comes as a sign of commitment for the Tigers in getting their replacement for Greene.

Cohen, who was Mississippi State’s baseball coach from 2009 to 2016, became Mississippi State’s athletic director after its former AD, Scott Stricklin, left for the University of Florida. Cohen has served as an assistant baseball coach with Kentucky and Florida prior to becoming an athletic director, so perhaps his SEC experience was a major catalyst for his hiring.

image.png

Edited by LTtxfan

I have all the confidence in the world that AU boosters will attempt, for the thousandth time, to run the head football coach search/hire. I wish they’d back out of the way but, they have been allowed too many times to fuck things up but good.

I had hopes that Harsin would work but, it was just a strange move that never fit. Add to that fans seeing Bo Nix play some pretty darn good football and people were wondering just what Harsin was doing.

I have always liked Brohm but, I have no idea what will happen. I have not heard anything from any of my friends in Alabama as they are not boosters at the Meddle Level.

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have all the confidence in the world that AU boosters will attempt, for the thousandth time, to run the head football coach search/hire. I wish they’d back out of the way but, they have been allowed too many times to fuck things up but good.

I had hopes that Harsin would work but, it was just a strange move that never fit. Add to that fans seeing Bo Nix play some pretty darn good football and people were wondering just what Harsin was doing.

I have always liked Brohm but, I have no idea what will happen. I have not heard anything from any of my friends in Alabama as they are not boosters at the Meddle Level.

I have no idea if this is true. Ugh. Alabama fans hoping it is true.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Supposedly Nebraska is close to announcing a deal with Rhule. Seen a lot of talk on twitter it could happen soon

If true, can everyone finally agree that Nebraska is no longer a blueblood when he fails? Because he's gonna fail. I have no idea why he would take that job. There are probably a dozen better jobs that would hire him in a heartbeat.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 11/1/2022 at 9:53 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I have no idea if this is true. Ugh. Alabama fans hoping it is true.

People are going to start paying the $8/month for November and December every year just to get that blue check mark and troll opposing fan bases on “breaking” coaching hires. 

• Haha 1