CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

34 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Supposedly Nebraska is close to announcing a deal with Rhule. Seen a lot of talk on twitter it could happen soon

I don't understand that. He could have a much better job.

Nebraska is a has-been. They have no recruiting base. They are on an island of irrelevancy. Tom Osborne isn't walking through that door, and neither is Fielding Yost, Dana Bible, or Bob Devaney.

Hell, neither Frank Solich nor Bo Pelini are walking through that door. Time has passed them by. The new landscape is not to their favor.

Crazy times, indeed.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Nebraska is a has-been. They have no recruiting base. They are on an island of irrelevancy. Tom Osborne isn't walking through that door, and neither is Fielding Yost, Dana Bible, or Bob Devaney.

Hell, neither Frank Solich nor Bo Pelini are walking through that door. Time has passed them by. The new landscape is not to their favor.

Crazy times, indeed.

Checks from a big media deal still cash the same though

Rhule or Joseph is what I'm hearing.  One of the two.

Sounds like decisions are being made today, so we could hear about it within a few days unless it leaks sooner.

My uneducated opinion prefers Rhule because he's supposed to be known as a developer.

And if Nebraska has problems attracting the four and five star players, then a developer would be great.

I don't see much hate on this board for Nebraska, who jumped ship shortly after I became a fan.

I root for them anytime they're not playing a team I like.  Gotta respect their die hard fan base.  

If true, can everyone finally agree that Nebraska is no longer a blueblood when he fails? Because he's gonna fail. I have no idea why he would take that job. There are probably a dozen better jobs that would hire him in a heartbeat.

When you add his Panthers payout and whatever Nebraska will pay him out, he'll never have to work again

25 minutes ago, Pancho said:

That’s not what I’m seeing. Lot’s of chatter it’s Joseph.

I'll note that my boss is an involved booster, and took his first career handoff from Mickey, and graduated with Trev, doesn't think it will be Joseph. 

Screenshot_20221103-140748_kindlephoto-9662772.png

Edited by Royalfan5

10 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I'll note that my boss is an involved booster, and took his first career handoff from Mickey, and graduated with Trev, doesn't think it will be Joseph. 

Screenshot_20221103-140748_kindlephoto-9662772.png

I mean I’d be shocked too (for various reason) so…

I’ve seen nothing about Rhule.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I mean I’d be shocked too (for various reason) so…

I’ve seen nothing about Rhule.

I think the Rhule stuff is mostly that if they are announcing something it's Joseph or a guy not coaching currently. I've seen people trying to put Chris Petersen out for the same reason. (Although I think that is even less likely) 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Man already never has to work again. He's getting >$400k/month over thr next 48 months. 

However,I'm sure his college pay will eat into that Panthers payout. 

Apparently he as a super weird buyout, where it doesn't get paid monthly, he gets a lump sum at the end of his original Carolina deal subject to offset. (According to the Split Zone Duo Auburn firing podcast)

• Hook 'Em 1

Serious question here:  Where do you see Gary Patterson winding up next year?  His name has started appearing on some of these tweets.  Does he hang around a little longer as a defensive analyst or special assistant?  I think his career path includes another HC gig at some point.  What do you all think?

Edited by TCU Alum

3 minutes ago, TCU Alum said:

Serious question here:  Where do you see Gary Patterson winding up next year?  His name has started appearing on some of these tweets.  Does he hang around a little longer as a defensive analyst or special assistant?  I think his career path includes another HC gig at some point.  What do you all think?

Apparently all he does is game plan for Alabama.  That's pretty niche work. 

On 10/31/2022 at 10:25 AM, Texasrocks said:

Is Auburn really a better job than Ole Miss? Getting away from pregnant coeds is the only clear advantage Auburn has for Kiffin.

Without looking at the wikipedia, I can remember three times Auburn played for a national title but not even an ESPN Classic where Ole Miss was in the Sugar Bowl.   Once I think I caught 10 minutes of them getting destroyed by TCU, at 9:30am west coast time on a week day.

3 hours ago, ocugolf said:

If Nebraska were smart, they'd have Rhule as HC, Joseph as AHC/OC, Dominic Riaola as Strength Coach to lock in his son in 2025, and whomever at DC right now.

If Rhule is heading to Nebraska this early, it most likely means he is going to be putting his staff together pretty quickly for recruiting purposes. If aggy doesn't make a bowl I would think Elijah Robinson would be on a plane to Lincoln that week after thanksgiving..

14 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

If Rhule is heading to Nebraska this early, it most likely means he is going to be putting his staff together pretty quickly for recruiting purposes. If aggy doesn't make a bowl I would think Elijah Robinson would be on a plane to Lincoln that week after thanksgiving..

Works for me.

5 hours ago, ocugolf said:

If Nebraska were smart, they'd have Rhule as HC, Joseph as AHC/OC, Dominic Riaola as Strength Coach to lock in his son in 2025, and whomever at DC right now.

The problem is that even if Nebraska were smart, Rhule would have to be an absolute moron to take that job. Maybe he is, but that's more Nebraska being lucky than smart.

Any coach with a comparable offer should avoid Auburn at all costs. They’re about half way through their version of the Nebraska wilderness wanderings. Hiring and firing coaches on a three year rotation is a losing proposition. Literally.

Sure glad that would never happen in Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The problem is that even if Nebraska were smart, Rhule would have to be an absolute moron to take that job. Maybe he is, but that's more Nebraska being lucky than smart.

They would have to offer Rhule Jimbo like stupid money for Rhule to consider it right now....so it's possible, but I would be shocked if Rhule's coaching next season.

Update on Nebraska's coaching search

The Cornhuskers are nearly two months into their quest to find Scott Frost's replacement

JOHN BRICE         NOV 3, 2022

After parting with Scott Frost less than a month into the 2022 season and quickly retaining the services of Collegiate Sports Associates to assist in its quest to replace Frost atop the University of Nebraska football program, the Cornhuskers are continuing to conduct an expansive quest to find the right candidate to lead Nebraska into the future.

Sources continue to tell FootballScoop that multiple current and former Big 12 and Big Ten Conference coaches are among the coaches being vetted that also include an additional sitting Power 5 head coach. 

Per sources both in the college coaching ranks and in the industry, Nebraska is continuing to heavily vet both current and former head coaches -- with a pair of former Big 12 skippers -- Gary Patterson and Matt Rhule -- among those continuing to receive their due diligence from the Huskers' search. Army coach Jeff Monken, no stranger to the Midwest, continues to be an additional name that's circulating enough to continue to monitor. Monken's consistent success, and at levels Army has not seen in decades, continues to be a topic of respect among his peers. 

And while Nebraska is conducting this search and seeking to find the candidate it believes can help return the program to the enduring national relevance -- at times, dominance -- from the 1980s through early 2000s, there also is no shortage of admiration and respect for the job Mickey Joseph is doing in navigating through this season, making his case to be considered for the job on a permanent basis and likewise is someone we're told Nebraska very much sees as as a potential piece of the program's future.  

Joseph has the Cornhuskers largely competitive with Big Ten wins already against Indiana and Rutgers lifting Nebraska halfway to bowl eligibility with four games remaining on the 2022 slate.

Sources share that Nebraska leadership is hopeful the next head coach will seek to structure a renewed contract with Joseph to make him a key part of a future staff. 

Additionally, Nebraska leadership seems very pleased with how Cornhuskers athletics director and former star football player Trev Alberts is conducting this search. 

There are indications, sources tell FootballScoop, that Alberts is impressing the Nebraska powers enough to the point there is growing momentum to extend Alberts' contract atop the athletics department in connection with this search. 

An SEC coach weighs in on what Auburn needs for its head coaching vacancy

Sam Pittman has worked at four different SEC programs, revived the Arkansas Razorbacks

JOHN BRICE       NOV 2, 2022

Sam Pittman’s got pretty deep perspective on the Southeastern Conference, with a dozen years’ experience at schools ranging from his current post as Arkansas’s head coach to assistant roles at Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee.

So when Pittman was asked Wednesday on the SEC coaches’ teleconference what questions he would want answered for the current vacancy atop the Auburn program, it was worth listening to his reply. The Tigers on Monday fired Bryan Harsin after Harsin posted a 9-12 record through less than two drama-filled seasons. 

“Do you have love for the university?’,” Pittman said as his first question in a search. “I would like to know if they had SEC experience, if they’ve been in the league. It’s a different league, and obviously to turn any program around you’ve gotta recruit well.

“And I would probably ask who your coordinators are [that a candidate would hire] and who the top recruiters are that you could bring in to recruit the Atlanta area and those things.

“Luckily, I don’t have to be in those interviews. But love for the university, can he recruit and if he knows the area. Auburn will be able to do that. They’ve got a really strong tradition.”

Pittman also was asked about why sometimes the “obvious” choice is not the best choice for a program’s next head coach – an element of which Pittman can likely relate after his hiring at Arkansas was something of a surprising move three years ago.

Since then, all Pittman has done has been return the Razorbacks to national relevance, spend numerous weeks last season and this ranked in the national polls and tally wins against ranked opponents who have ranged from then-No. 15 Texas and then-No. 7 Texas A&M to No. 23 Cincinnati at the onset of this season.

“Well, the obvious choice is for the public. The obvious choices might be the most popular choice,” Pittman said. “Popularity, from what I understand, doesn’t win any football games.

“I think athletic directors have to understand the feel of a person. Is this a permanent job or are you trying to step into it and turn it around and leave? Or do I feel like this program is the Taj Mahal [and a potential permanent destination].”

Pittman said from personal experience that his own enthusiasm and genuine interest in a position has typically revealed itself in the interview process.

“I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a job in an interview that I didn’t know if I really, really wanted,” Pittman said. “If I haven’t known that, I don’t think I’ve gotten a job.”

Mostly, Pittman has focused on his own challenges ahead for the Razorbacks, who this week host No. 23 Liberty and former Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze.

The past two seasons’ non-conference schedules for Arkansas have included the aforementioned game against Texas, a bowl game against Penn State and contests this season against Cincinnati, BYU and Liberty. All five of those programs were ranked at the time they met the Razorbacks or have been ranked extensively this season.

As such, Pittman has not been able to play his reserves in game settings nearly as much as he would like but has instead modified the way the Hogs have approached practice.

“We’ve been here 31 games and we’ve total subbed twice in 31 games,” Pittman said. “A lot of it has to do with continuing to the build program, and a lot of it has to do with who we play. (Liberty) will be our third team non-conference that been ranked in the top 25. Makes it difficult. Honestly it’s about morale at practice, too. If you don’t feel like you’re ever gonna get in the game as a 2 and things of that nature, that’s hard. Two of 31 that’s basically what we’ve done wholesale-wise. We’ve gotta get better and that will allow our 2s to get on the field more. …

“I believe you do (have to make adjustments in practice). I’m not Knute Rockne, but I believe you do to get through the grind of the SEC West, along with what currently has been our non-conference schedules. I think that’s the smart thing to do. We did it last year, we lost three in a row and kind of went back to we better get our best players healthy. Seemed to work for us last year, hopefully it does this year.”

On 11/3/2022 at 1:34 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Crazy times, indeed.

As soon as they abandoned the triple option they killed the program. You can say that was coming eventually anyway because of how the game changed but their system was their only way to recruit. It gave them a niche recruiting pool. Without that where can they get any players from?

• Hook 'Em 1

Nebraska used to have so many advantages that other programs didn't. Their S&C was well above others, they could get players who they can not now, mostly because the days of players showing up on campus and not going to any classes does not exist. There are still easy avenues for players to do more football than class, but they can do that closer to home and I would say most major programs have passed or matched NU in facilities and certainly coaching. There's not a lot of reasons to venture that far north into the middle of nowhere anymore. It used to be players would have problems getting into southern Cal schools or Florida schools and Texas schools, just go to Nebraska then. Landscape has changed and not for the better if you're Nebraska. 

They had a walk-on program which really meant you weren't a walk-on, you were just getting your free ride differently than you would on scholarship. 0.00 gpa, they'd get you in. Criminal background, come to the land of corn, we'll tell everyone you are reformed. It wasn't just NU, the Big 8 had a thing going and for whatever reason ou was the only one to come out ahead. 

I don't get the Kiffin to Auburn angle.  Like, why?  He's making $7.5M and Harsin was at $5.5M.  Killing it at Ole Miss w/ 10W last year and likely to hit 10 again this year.  He is an absolute golden god in Oxford and has his team rolling.  Why on earth would he go to Auburn just to rebuild that mess?

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Mittens said:

I don't get the Kiffin to Auburn angle.  Like, why?  He's making $7.5M and Harsin was at $5.5M.  Killing it at Ole Miss w/ 10W last year and likely to hit 10 again this year.  He is an absolute golden god in Oxford and has his team rolling.  Why on earth would he go to Auburn just to rebuild that mess?

State of Mississippi has some contract limits for state employees that would allow Auburn to trump on term and money guarantees.