All Things Brisket

kevwun

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I do it with steak.  I don't know why I don't bother with brisket.  I add my rub right after I start my fire.  So it might sit on there for 30--45 minutes before I put it on the pit.  I add a lot more rub to brisket than I do to steak though.

Same here, but my WSM fire might take closer to an hour for brisket.  I use the BGE for steak and it usually gets to 500 in under an hour.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:04 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Y’all are going to fuck around and find out when a bunch of Ohio chumps come to your tailgate and go home mocking Texans for candy brisket like we do Cincinnati spaghetti. 

At least those “Ohio chumps” would have the advantage of actually trying your candy coated brisket before knocking it unlike most around here when it comes to. Cincinnati chili. Now cue the few who have tried it and will say it sucked when they only tried it so they could say they tried it and it sucked. And some of those people grew up eating ketchup sandwiches. 

Brisket for dinner on Thursday? Why not? Put it on a hour ago. Trimmed it last night. Fired up the gravity fed char-griller 980 with B&B and oak chunks this morning and set to 240. Then rubbed with Meat Church Holy Cow which I'm excited to try since I've always been just salt/pepper. I'll check on it every couple hrs to spritz. Should be done by dinner. 

20211111_073909.thumb.jpg.8f10b15dd20e0adff8a335474f66a8d7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Need source for brisket and turkey for smoking at home.

Gonna do em on the Big Green Egg.

Thanks.

Yeah, are you asking for a meat source?  Where do you live?

Here in Central Texico, you can get brisket at HEB, Costco, Walmart, Randall's... anywhere.

Turkeys at all of the above too.  I'd suggest getting natural without the salt solution, and then brine it yourself.  Lots of discussion of how best to brine/dry brine/BBQ/spatchcock a turkey on the turkey thread.

From what I learned here, and I understand all briskets may cook differently, the basics for cooking on an offset are: 

1. Get fire to 225-300

2. Cook briskett until it reaches 150-175 (the stall)

3. Wrap in butcher paper

4. Let brisket cook until done. On this point I have not seen a specific consensus. Some say its done at 195-210, some say its done only if it probes like butter but not temp, and some say its done when it "looks" done.

5. Place brisket and let it rest for 2 hours in a cooler while wrapped in towels. Can I just let it set on the counter for 2 hours at room temp then slice or is a cooler better.

6. Results vary.

Also, does spraying with water make a difference? Wont that damage the bark? 

Edited by Enemy07

23 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Some say its done at 195-210, some say its done only if it probes like butter but not temp, and some say its done when it "looks" done.

it's done when it probes done which is somewhere between 195° and 210°

5. Place brisket and let it rest for 2 hours in a cooler while wrapped in towels. Can I just let it set on the counter for 2 hours at room temp then slice or is a cooler better.

cooler is going to keep the heat in better.  bark is probably better leaving it uncovered on the counter because it won't be steaming itself. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

From what I learned here, and I understand all briskets may cook differently, the basics for cooking on an offset are: 

1. Get fire to 225-300

2. Cook briskett until it reaches 150-175 (the stall)

3. Wrap in butcher paper

4. Let brisket cook until done. On this point I have not seen a specific consensus. Some say its done at 195-210, some say its done only if it probes like butter but not temp, and some say its done when it "looks" done.

6. Results vary.

Also, does spraying with water make a difference? Wont that damage the bark? 

1.  That's about right.

2./3.  You can wrap it at any point after the bark is set.  The stall starts somewhere in the range you posted.  So around there is as good of time as any to wrap it.

4.  What elfenix said

5.  You'll want to let it rest on the counter for an hour or so before putting it into the cooler.  If you put it directly into the cooler, it's going to keep cooking.  I'd let it come down to about 160F before putting it in the cooler.  You don't have to do the long "hold" in the cooler, but doing so for several hours improves the final product.  Put a pyrex dish with hot water in the cooler beforehad to preheat it.  Also, fill the head space with towels for more efficient temperature holding.

6.  Spraying with water, acv, woosty, or a mixture thereof regularly after the first couple of hours of cooking helps the bark set up/form.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/11/2021 at 2:39 PM, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Wrapped up with butcher paper and foil boat method. Best of both worlds just like my gravity feed charcoal/wood chunk smoker. 

20211111_153701.thumb.jpg.79702369e01e413559f5730233a14f2c.jpg

This grill/smoker intrigues me. I am not a fan of food smoked on pellet smokers. This seems a bit more legit in that you can use lump. I would be interested in a review. The end product you produced looks great. 

I have built and sold a competition offset smoker--stick burner. I am too old to deal with the constant managing an offset requires. I like this more automated approach as long as we can stay away from pellets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Tried this Franklin stuff out from HEB…since Im doing a brisket for someone else lol. Wasn’t blown away by it, turned to ash  pretty fast. 9.99 a bag too. Will stick to my B&B from now on. 

BA4C3110-67A8-4CA9-9B12-468B02ECF598.jpeg

C15AA524-B15A-4711-B0F5-EBB08FFE6C36.jpeg

B&B is the best I've ever cooked with. Burns super clean and lasts the longest. Good choice. I assume at 9.99/bag that's just some cheap OEM charcoal. Not like Aaron bought a charcoal business. I would've tried it too.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I am taking a brisket to in laws for New Years Eve.

Going to smoke it at home, long rest overnight in oven, then cool and vac seal - normal process there.

What is the best way to get it there and reheat? going to have to split it anyway to fit in vac bag, so split it where i turn it and vac seal? or slice, then vac seal?

reheat via sous vide ~140 for like 60-90 min?

really open to ideas in general as this is first time i've had to move it like this.

Split it and seal.  If you slice it, then seal it you run the risk of losing more moisture from the meat.  You're just reheating in the sous vide, so it shouldn't take over 15 minutes.  

Agree with all of this. How big is the brisket? I can get a 12lb in a vacuum bag without cutting it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, baboso said:

Split it and seal.  If you slice it, then seal it you run the risk of losing more moisture from the meat.  You're just reheating in the sous vide, so it shouldn't take over 15 minutes.  

makes sense to me. that said, if it's a decently large one it's going to need more than 15 min

1 minute ago, tigol said:

Agree with all of this. How big is the brisket? I can get a 12lb in a vacuum bag without cutting it.

not sure yet, depends on HEB at this point haha either way, my vacuum bags aren't THAT large

If I'm telling the whole truth, I don't really worry about how much time the brisket is in the water bath.  I let it roll and don't sweat it when re-heating at 145-150.  That's the advantage of re-heating that way.  I open the bag and the smoke of a perfect brisket is still there.  Slice and serve.  Never had any bark issues at all with a good seal.  Works well for holiday parties when everyone decides to get their shit together after drinking/chatting and expect hot food.

Edited by tigol
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, tigol said:

FoodSaver 11" x 16' Expandable Heat-Seal Rolls for Food Preservation, Freezer Bags & Sous Vide Bags, Clear https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00851QSDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BJQDH02F7YZ7H3BHS0F4

FWIW- I've had good luck w/ these rolls--- generic version of the Foodsavers.  Cheaper, and work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052BOEXG

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

15min is way too short for sous-vide reheat. Even a steak takes longer than that to get core temp up from cold. Plan 2hr at 145' - at some point Franklin had that in their mail order reheat instructions.

And yes split and seal, don't slice beforehand.

My impression was that the re-heat was after a rest, not from cold/frozen.  I agree that 15 minutes may be short under rest conditions as well.  It won't hurt a damn thing for it to be in the water bath for an extended period.

Edited by tigol
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, tigol said:

My impression was that the re-heat was after a rest, not from cold/frozen.  I agree that 15 minutes may be short under rest conditions as well.  It won't hurt a damn thing for it to be in the water bath for an extended period.

sorry process is: cook, cool, vac seal, transport, sous vide, serve

I've been sending people vac sealed briskets and they prefer the option to reheat on low in oven..brisket in a pan with au jus covered w foil.  Especially for coming out of holding in a fridge.  Not everyone has a sous vide cooker.  Save water, counter space.  I believe Franklin suggest the same for his when he ships them.

I have a Anovo sous vide and standard container, but dont think a brisket is fitting in it...especially leaving room for the cooker probe.  Curious also what size tub yall use. 

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

I've been sending people vac sealed briskets and they prefer the option to reheat on low in oven..brisket in a pan with au jus covered w foil.  Especially for coming out of holding in a fridge.  Not everyone has a sous vide cooker.  Save water, counter space.  I believe Franklin suggest the same for his when he ships them.

I have a Anovo sous vide and standard container, but dont think a brisket is fitting in it...especially leaving room for the cooker probe.  Curious also what size tub yall use. 

size shouldn't ever be an issue, have seen people throw their anovo's in yeti's, smaller coolers and everything in between.

i think i use a 12 QT cambro (not 100% on size, got it at restaurant store kind of place)

• Hook 'Em 1