2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

That stolen HR was bullshit. But you know what is bigger bullshit? All the 2out runs we let them score.
Correa not tagging 2nd base to get out of an inning.
LMJ walking in a fucking run.
Wild pitch getting by McCann so Betts could score.
This team settled for bullshit tonight.
Don't forget the passed ball in the 1st inning that led to a run.

This is is still a great team, but playing through a rough patch against another great team.  We are lucky as fans to be watching our team play exciting, meaningful baseball after mid-October.  And we get to do it again tomorrow. 

JV takes the hill like Wyatt Earp at the river and the series goes back to Boston.

• Like 1

Catchers cost the Stros a couple of runs tonight - maybe three. WTF about Astro relievers? They were pitching from behind.

That's how you play the outfield. None of this fucking trotting up to a ball that lands at your feet (ala the Rangers).

I think the "stolen" home run was the proper call. They hit his glove in front of the plane.

Boston refused to swing at bad pitches. Houston did - a couple at critical times.

• Fuck You 3

We can't play any worse and they seem to be getting every bounce, and every call Cora makes is right right now.
Baseball has a funny way of balancing things or in a hurry.

JVs not losing tomorrow
And cole isn't going to have another shitty game.

I have no idea what happens in game 7 but do think these bullpen guys Cora keeps rolling out there every game will be garbage in that game.
Just a matter of whether ours will stink worse

So it comes to Jerry West. Fuck that guy.
Don't start with this shit (even though he is terrible umpire). We lost because the Red Sox are making more clutch plays than we are (2 out RBIs specifically). Our bullpen was a disaster today and I don't even want to think about the amount of people we left on base.

And say Altuve hits that HR? How does anyone know how either team responds after that? Boston could have felt like they were robbed and used it as motivation and out up 12. It may not have lit a fire under our ass the first few innings and we end up scoring 2 runs instead of 4 through the first 4.

We had our chances to take control and win and we just didn't do it.

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Who knows what would have happened if the leadoff batter in the eighth hadn't tried to take second. In retrospect, GIANT fucking mistake. I think the next two guys got on. They would have had an extra out, probably with runners on second and third.

The way things played out, this turned into THE key play.

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

they... they... Someone behind the outfielder reached forward and hit the guy's glove before he could pull it in. Classic interference.

According to MLB Rule 3.16, "When there is spectator interference with any thrown or batted ball, the ball shall be dead at the moment of interference and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the act of interference."

based on the mlb rule, its the wrong call the astros were shorted 2 runs

9 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Catchers cost the Stros a couple of runs tonight - maybe three. WTF about Astro relievers? They were pitching from behind.

That's how you play the outfield. None of this fucking trotting up to a ball that lands at your feet (ala the Rangers).

I think the "stolen" home run was the proper call. They hit his glove in front of the plane.

Boston refused to swing at bad pitches. Houston did - a couple at critical times.

It was literally by the rules in the rule book the wrong call. Get out of here with that shit. 

3 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

they... they... Someone behind the outfielder reached forward and hit the guy's glove before he could pull it in. Classic interference.

ranger fans coming out of the woodwork to let us know everything was called fairly.

in the bottom of the first i sent a text saying we would lose by 2.  i fucking hate it when i'm right.

in another life, that ball bregs hits skips under benintendi's glove and we win the game, and go for the lead tomorrow.  in another life.  we got some lucky bounces last season, and it appears we've used them all up.  everything seems to be bouncing boston's way, but that's the way baseball go.

jv is ready, he'll do his thing, and we'll go from there.  for anyone who was wondering if the defending champion astros had enough motivation, they need not wonder anymore. 

let's go.

1 hour ago, mycox said:

Remember last year when every call and every play went the Astros way? This is Boston this year. 

2017 that ball gets past the diving catch and dribbles to the wall for 3 runs. It's just not happening this year.

Also Kimbrel = Giles

And of course Hinch immediately declares that there's no way to know if The Call was the difference.  Always being magnanimous instead of continuing to fighting for his team.  Too above it all to allow retaliation when his players get beaned.  His nice guy approach doesn't get him any favors from the umps and MLB, he just gets run over again.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Fuck You 2

20 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Bregman was terrible this game. No plate discipline whatsoever.

He made the right move going for the first pitch.  The pitch ran into him but he still got decent wood on it, it just didnt drop.  He hit the ball hard tonight, he just couldn't get one to fall...its baseball.   

The aggravating thing is that the call on the field gets such deference. West had no idea whether that play met the definition of fan interference. There is no way in hell he saw whether the fan reached over the plane of the fence (or whatever you call it) or whether it occured past the plane on the stands side. He basically made a guess, and that guess ends up being the call. I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it because the Astros made so many mistakes and played like shit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ranger fans coming out of the woodwork to let us know everything was called fairly.

in the bottom of the first i sent a text saying we would lose by 2.  i fucking hate it when i'm right.

in another life, that ball bregs hits skips under benintendi's glove and we win the game, and go for the lead tomorrow.  in another life.  we got some lucky bounces last season, and it appears we've used them all up.  everything seems to be bouncing boston's way, but that's the way baseball go.

jv is ready, he'll do his thing, and we'll go from there.  for anyone who was wondering if the defending champion astros had enough motivation, they need not wonder anymore. 

let's go.

Off the bat it looked like a sure double. Fuck

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

So why wasn't the game played under protest?

Clayton fucking Williams aka AJ Hinch

You can't just protest a call that you don't agree with.  You can only protest if there was a clear mis-application of a rule.  There isn't clear video of the plane of the wall so they couldn't overturn it.  It was a bad call, but it wasn't a mis-application of the rules.

After seeing that crew, I’d frankly be shocked if the umpires were not a key story in this series.

I’d also be shocked if this isn’t West’s final series. Whether that’s by his own choice or a gentle nudge by the umpire union /MLB, I don’t know.

Quoting/cross posting this from the ALCS thread one last time....from last Thursday.
Being right is fun...except when it isn’t.

3 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Off the bat it looked like a sure double. Fuck

no, ranger fan, it didn't.  it looked like a sinking liner that either is a single or an out.  unless the fielder dives, and it somehow scoots under his glove.  please go back to...wherever you were before you were here.

• Like 1

Is there a definitive angle showing the initial fan contact with Betts glove was behind the wall? Is there an angle showing the contact was in the field of play? Based on the replays I've seen there is uncertainty when it comes to where the initial contact was made. I can't call it a screwjob if there is uncertainty. I will call it bad juju from the baseball gods... who were on our side last year

Last year’s team could win 3 in a row, but not this post season team.  I guess the Indians were easy outs.  Boston is hungrier.

I would be optimistic, but you can’t fukin lose two in a row AT HOME in post season.  And lose with the same mistakes and poor pitching.  I just don’t see any “bright side” with our pitching except JV and James.  Bats are there but we left, what...14 on base!?   If they couldn’t bounce back today, then it ain’t happening 3 in a row.

Edited by utxmike05