2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

after the bullshit play at the plate (in fenway, big surprise) that kept us from a sweep, i came out and made a big fucking speech about the call on the field.  for the last fucking time, in every fucking sport - the call on the field shouldn't matter.  the guys in new york (super neutral) shouldn't even know what the call on the field was.  they should get a buzz on their 1991 motorola two-way pager, and turn on the game with zero knowledge.  they should black out the jerseys and the score and everything else.  the question should be posed to them - what did you see?

if they saw an out, it's an out.  safe, it's safe.  if they absolutely can't fucking tell, then the call can stand with whatever the original on the field call was - which is none of their fucking business.  they shouldn't even know.  the guy on the phone should say, "we don't know, do your thing."  the answer should never be, "well, we don't really have enough evidence to overturn your call, so we'll trust what a 65 year old fat dude thinks he saw from 150 feet away while he was running full speed (slow) with 45,000 people yelling around him."

the replay rules in general are fucked.  they say they only incorporated them "to get the call right."  but then they add in the "call stands" vs "call confirmed" bullshit.  it's like in the nfl.  "we only want to get the call right...unless the replay is kinda slow and the team happens to rush up to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball before the coach has a chance to throw the flag, because that's just smart football right there."

if this happened to the yankees**, there would be a committee formed overnight, and the rules would be changed by the weekend.

**it obviously would never happen to the yankees, that was just a hypothetical

• Like 3

I’m still pissed about the Altuve HR. Just got home from the game and haven’t read this thread. Fucking robbed. 

Ill be there again tomorrow. Only other comment is that MMP needs to step it up. I can’t speak right now, but that place sounded quiet. So many T-shirt fans. 

Go Stros and go Verlander. 

finally caught the whole rundown from the mlbn guys.  bauer actually did a nice job.  emsinger led the charge with the "ball should've been a homer" call.  taking the opposing view, bill ripken (fuckface) was the lone voice of dissent, but for his own reasons.  his opinion was basically, "mookie was gonna catch that, so you gotta let him catch it, and if you're joe west, you can assume he's gonna catch the ball."  so essentially, ripken invented a reason to say he agreed with the call, since it's clearly not dependent on assuming anything, but whether the ball was in the field of play or the stands, blah blah, whatever.

emsinger also pointed out the upcoming pitching matchups (along with kimbrel struggles, etc) and said not to count out the stros.  price will start g5, but considering his situation, and the fact that he got warm at least once tonight, it'll basically be a bullpen game for the sox.

so here's my question - if you're aj hinch, do you go back to the basics tomorrow, and bat bregman 3rd and correa 4th?  to quote robards in all the president's men - "fuck it.  let's stand by the boys."

i say yes.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

after the bullshit play at the plate (in fenway, big surprise) that kept us from a sweep, i came out and made a big fucking speech about the call on the field.  for the last fucking time, in every fucking sport - the call on the field shouldn't matter.  the guys in new york (super neutral) shouldn't even know what the call on the field was.  they should get a buzz on their 1991 motorola two-way pager, and turn on the game with zero knowledge.  they should black out the jerseys and the score and everything else.  the question should be posed to them - what did you see?

if they saw an out, it's an out.  safe, it's safe.  if they absolutely can't fucking tell, then the call can stand with whatever the original on the field call was - which is none of their fucking business.  they shouldn't even know.  the guy on the phone should say, "we don't know, do your thing."  the answer should never be, "well, we don't really have enough evidence to overturn your call, so we'll trust what a 65 year old fat dude thinks he saw from 150 feet away while he was running full speed (slow) with 45,000 people yelling around him."

the replay rules in general are fucked.  they say they only incorporated them "to get the call right."  but then they add in the "call stands" vs "call confirmed" bullshit.  it's like in the nfl.  "we only want to get the call right...unless the replay is kinda slow and the team happens to rush up to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball before the coach has a chance to throw the flag, because that's just smart football right there."

if this happened to the yankees**, there would be a committee formed overnight, and the rules would be changed by the weekend.

**it obviously would never happen to the yankees, that was just a hypothetical

Both the call on the field and the replay call would have been HR had it been a Sox player hitting and Reddick making that reach into the stands. No way West calls interference the other way. 

Add to that, the drastic difference in strike zones, and this game was a Montreal screwjob all around. But even with that bias and a -2 starting point, the Astros win if they play mistake free and get a clutch pitch or two.

10 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Why do these games take so long? Regular season 9 inning games don’t go 4+ hours.

A lot of men on base in this game. But there also seem to be around 2 extra commercials per break. I think its a TBS thing. Its also exact. I watched one of our playoff day games on a PC and the commercial breaks had 100% accurate countdown clocks. After the break, live action wasnt delayed due to the stream. The station seemed to be controlling when action would resume.  During the year, the station doesnt control it and often has to cut back from commercial abruptly. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

6 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Last year’s team could win 3 in a row, but not this post season team.  I guess the Indians were easy outs.  Boston is hungrier.

I would be optimistic, but you can’t fukin lose two in a row AT HOME in post season.  And lose with the same mistakes and poor pitching.  I just don’t see any “bright side” with our pitching except JV and James.  Bats are there but we left, what...14 on base!?   If they couldn’t bounce back today, then it ain’t happening 3 in a row.

1 game at a time. JV at home first. If he wins, we will see what happens in Boston. We are historically good on the road and average at home this year. Red Sox were down 0-3 in an ALCS before and won it. 

On the plus side, the bats woke up. However, Altuve looks like he is hurting bad. He would be taking a month off if this was the regular season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m going to be pissed off all day
ce29a274e34a948260d9891b17710aa4.jpg

No, Joe.  Here's what happened:

You made a terrible call because you're a terrible umpire.  MLB allowed it to stand because it benefitted the Red Sox and the powers that be wants a Red Sox vs Dodgers World Series.

P.S. You and Angel Hernandez should have to fight to the death and the winner should be mauled by bears.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

No, Joe.  Here's what happened:

You made a terrible call because you're a terrible umpire.  MLB allowed it to stand because it benefitted the Red Sox and the powers that be wants a Red Sox vs Dodgers World Series.

P.S. You and Angel Hernandez should have to fight to the death and the winner should be mauled by bears.

A lot of this is on MLB.Why the fuck are those guys working the playoffs? If I send a text BEFORE THE SERIES STARTS that calls an ump by name that will directly fuck us, that's a problem. 

• Like 1

Also, I haven't read the entire thread from last night, but did anyone else see the pinned tweet from MLB? Can't attach it here at work, but it was a video with the following description: Rewrite the rules. #postseason....couldn't have been more perfect.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

finally caught the whole rundown from the mlbn guys.  bauer actually did a nice job.  emsinger led the charge with the "ball should've been a homer" call.  taking the opposing view, bill ripken (fuckface) was the lone voice of dissent, but for his own reasons.  his opinion was basically, "mookie was gonna catch that, so you gotta let him catch it, and if you're joe west, you can assume he's gonna catch the ball."  so essentially, ripken invented a reason to say he agreed with the call, since it's clearly not dependent on assuming anything, but whether the ball was in the field of play or the stands, blah blah, whatever.

emsinger also pointed out the upcoming pitching matchups (along with kimbrel struggles, etc) and said not to count out the stros.  price will start g5, but considering his situation, and the fact that he got warm at least once tonight, it'll basically be a bullpen game for the sox.

so here's my question - if you're aj hinch, do you go back to the basics tomorrow, and bat bregman 3rd and correa 4th?  to quote robards in all the president's men - "fuck it.  let's stand by the boys."

i say yes.

No, last nights lineup was more productive. But I dont lead off Bregman either. Should be Altuve, Bregman, Springer, Marwin, Correa

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

All in the dirt. I actually cant recall when Ive seen games with this many pitches in the dirt.

Not true. Maldonado whiffed on a waist high fastball last night. Also he duffed a couple of McCullers breaking balls in Game 2 because he tried to backhand stab them before they hit the dirt. Maldonado has made one really good defensive play and about 6 really bad ones.

9 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.  We've scored enough for it to be no worse than 2-2.  The pitching carried the team all year and has not shown up this series.  Boston gets a lot of credit but there have been way too many walks and hbp.  Maldonado handing out free bases like candy hasn't helped either.

My personal opinion is when you starting moving the parts around and changing a lineup you have had all season you are in panic mode. And it clearly hasn’t worked as we are down 3-1. Bullpen isn’t shutting shit down like last year. Boston is playing like Houston did last year, clutch hits, all the breaks and a great bullpen. It’s why no one ever repeats.

hopefully we get aggressive in the off season and load up 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Personally I would just flip Springer and Bregman.  

Springer, Breg, Altuve, Marwin, Correa, Yuli, Reddick, Machete, Kemp and lets go win the whole fucking thing

Before this series started I firmly believed that there was no way McCann should see any playing time.  My belief has turned a full 180; Maldonado can go fuck himself before he fucks us again.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Before this series started I firmly believed that there was no way McCann should see any playing time.  My belief has turned a full 180; Maldonado can go fuck himself before he fucks us again.

has someone gone back and counted the number of cross-ups since he came over?
Seems at least one a game and even more now in the playoffs.