2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

The guy who “interfered” last night is a Houston native who lives in Atlanta. He flew back this morning on a 6am flight. He called in to the Michael Berry Show and Berry is flying he and his wife back to town and Mattress Mac is hooking them up with tickets.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

More breaks associated with more pitching changes and mound visits in the post-season?

Mound visits, step out of the box every fucking pitch, step off the rubber about every 5th pitch, cross ups, commercials longer, God Bless America in the 7th inning for some idiotic reason (and yes I am as patriotic as the next person), pitching changes out the wazoo, did i mention stepping out of the box EVER FUCKING PITCH.  

11 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The guy who “interfered” last night is a Houston native who lives in Atlanta. He flew back this morning on a 6am flight. He called in to the Michael Berry Show and Berry is flying he and his wife back to town and Mattress Mac is hooking them up with tickets.

Chicago take notes. 

51 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The more I think about it, the more i'm irked by Hinch's decision to let James pitch to JBJ when Pressly had been warming.  

Fucking this. I wasn't big on bringing James in in that spot anyway, but he pitched well enough right up to the point he didn't. Should have brought Pressly in after that double though. That being said, no one in our bullpen has been great this series, but I'd rather lose because JBJ got to our best reliever than because we left in our least experienced reliever for too long. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

Can't help thinking that this must be what it would have felt like if Game 5 had gone the other way. So much back and forth. So many chances that just didn't pan out. I usually keep things in perspective, but this one hurts. 

Just win tonight. Please just win tonight. I understand what we are up against being down 3-1, but just win tonight and get the ball to Cole for game 6.  

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Fucking this. I wasn't big on bringing James in in that spot anyway, but he pitched well enough right up to the point he didn't. Should have brought Pressly in after that double though. That being said, no one in our bullpen has been great this series, but I'd rather lose because JBJ got to our best reliever than because we left in our least experienced reliever for too long. 

Yep, Hinch probably 2nd guessed himself thinking it would be micromanaging bringing in Pressly and just wanted James to get that last batter but in a must win game with a tiny margin of error, you gotta bring Pressly in there as hot as JBJ had been.  Also, James had left a few balls over the plate last couple of batters and almost gave up a homerun by a few feet one batter earlier.  Seemed like we were playing with fire leaving him in. At the time I thought it was fairly obvious but maybe Hinch had some numbers/analytics that told him otherwise.

Just now, ballrific said:
19 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yep, Hinch probably 2nd guessed himself thinking it would be micromanaging bringing in Pressly and just wanted James to get that last batter but in a must win game with a tiny margin of error, you gotta bring Pressly in there as hot as JBJ had been.  Also, James had left a few balls over the plate last couple of batters and almost gave up a homerun by a few feet one batter earlier.  Seemed like we were playing with fire leaving him in. At the time I thought it was fairly obvious but maybe Hinch had some numbers/analytics that told him otherwise.

Should have brought in McHugh after they gave up double. Or when Pressly loaded the bases. I new LMJ was going have issues finding zone with bases loaded. 

1 minute ago, mbtex said:

Should have brought in McHugh after they gave up double. Or when Pressly loaded the bases. I new LMJ was going have issues finding zone with bases loaded. 

That was another Hinch move I questioned at the time.  I think LMJ needs to start an inning, not come in with runners on.  Wasn't shocked at the results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mbtex said:

Carlos missing second base was a fucking gut punch. I am not sure we turn two if he takes the time to make sure his foot is on the bag or tosses it to Marwin. Live I thought the play at first was really close. But its just another example of us not doing the little things and them taking advantage. 

I may never get over Benintendi's catch. I thought that was dropping for sure. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I hope he’s not catching too much hell because he didn’t do anything wrong.  If he had gotten out of the way and let Betts catch it we would have lost our shit for him not doing his part to help out.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 3

good points both ^^

for whatever it's worth, jv opened at -185 and has been bet up to -200.  hopefully this is a game that boston just phones in, and we uncomfortably cruise a la game 7 of last year's alcs and world series.  stressful night last night, price is gonna start.  maybe they work in some of their lesser used relievers and figure they'll close out at home.  then hopefully we can steal some mojo and see what happens on saturday with cole.

this is my plan. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

good points both ^^

for whatever it's worth, jv opened at -185 and has been bet up to -200.  hopefully this is a game that boston just phones in, and we uncomfortably cruise a la game 7 of last year's alcs and world series.  stressful night last night, price is gonna start.  maybe they work in some of their lesser used relievers and figure they'll close out at home.  then hopefully we can steal some mojo and see what happens on saturday with cole.

this is my plan. 

Co-signed. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

James imo has great stuff to be a dominant closer, also hunch should have found a  inning or two to get Morton some work as he was seriously rusty. Facts are this bullpen and even starters outside of JV this series hasn’t pitched well. That’s baseball.

I would try him in the rotation first.  I think he has the arsenal to be a starter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Pitching just hasn't gotten the job done. Really disappointing. Have to admit I completely disagree with how little McHugh has pitched, he's our best guy. 

I agree.  For the 2nd year in a row AJ hasn't used McHugh enough.

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Should have used McHugh instead of Smith in the other game.  Hell, Smith shouldn't even be on the roster.  

It's my perception but has Smith performed well at all this season? I remember hearing all the right stuff about joining the team at his press conference but seems like it's been suckville since. 

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Stick him in the nosebleeds away from the field of play. Apparently Joe West assumes people are going to make catches into the stands and being in their way is somehow interference. 

25 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Verlander's gonna pitch a complete game tonight, so stop your hand wringing with the bullpen.  

This right here^^^^!!!!!!

JV is a F'n ACE and will show exactly what that entails tonight. 2-hit SHUT A MF'ER DOWN complete domination tonight!

He has 24 consecutive scoreless innings in elimination games...that streaks gets to 33 tonight!

30 minutes ago, YChang said:

It's my perception but has Smith performed well at all this season? I remember hearing all the right stuff about joining the team at his press conference but seems like it's been suckville since. 

He was good for most of the 2nd half after coming back from the dl.

But McHugh is freaking awesome. In his last 16 appearances he has given up a run TWICE! It's been over a month now since he's given up a run. He's given up a grand total of 9 hits in 14 innings pitched, compared to 20 strikeouts.  Good for almost 13 k/9

He could go out tonight and give up four runs and it's still the right call to pitch him. 

Edited by HoustonFrog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

James stepped on the bag awkwardly covering first base on the second (i believe) out of the inning.  He limped back to the mound.  Next batter was a double and then you know the rest.

Should have been yanked as soon as the double left the bat

• Like 1