Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Do we know which way the four Republicans are voting yet? I said yesterday that if all four were voting the same it would have to be yes but I’ve rethought that and now think that they might be no.   If they agree that he can’t be confirmed it’s probably very useful in deflecting attacks to position it to where no one can be blamed as the sole guy that kept Kavanagh from being confirmed. “ My vote didn’t matter. He wasn’t getting confirmed with or without me.”

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Sure.

Dr. Ford deserved far better than the political shenanigans the Republicans played. Can you admit that?

They weren’t the ones playing games.  Feinstein sat on allegations that should have been vetted by the confidential procedure the committee had.  Instead she outs the poor woman.  And then has the balls to call for an investigation to further her political stall tactic.  

BK said he was never at any party with Ford.  From the beginning.  Her witnesses couldn’t put them under the same roof that summer.  That ended it.  

Dr. Ford deserved far better than political shenanigans the Democrats played.   Can any of you surly libs admit that?   

I think the potical evironment was unfortunate but unavoidable considering the stakes and what the GOP did to Garland. Feinstein respected her confidentiality request and appears to not have leaked it. Notably, Dr. Ford did not appear upset at the Dems so I'll defer to her.

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is rich.  Obama bent over backwards to keep his distance from the FBI. 

Yeah using Loretta Lynch as his go between. Seriously you have a screw loose if you don't think those orders came from the top down.  Most qualified candidate to be nominated for the presidency in the history of the country......  those words had consequences.

They weren’t the ones playing games.  Feinstein sat on allegations that should have been vetted by the confidential procedure the committee had.  Instead she outs the poor woman.  And then has the balls to call for an investigation to further her political stall tactic.  
BK said he was never at any party with Ford.  From the beginning.  Her witnesses couldn’t put them under the same roof that summer.  That ended it.  
There is no evidence that Feinstein or her office leaked it and the reporter that broke the story has denied it was Feinstein.

2 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
7 minutes ago, Hammock said:
My stance is that if you're going to make an accusation as this level then you better back it the fuck up with evidence. Zero corroborating stories.
Graham made a good point. If you supposedly drugged and raped women for two years then you're most likely not going to stop. Not one woman that has worked with Kavanaugh has ever said anything negative about him. He would have slipped somewhere over the 36 years and we would have heard about it by now. 

It's hard with the time that had gone by though she did the best she could. I think there are leads that could potentially corroborate it if followed. I also don't think you can blame her for waiting to come forward. I can understand your attacker being elevated to the highest Court of the land and the #metoo movement prompting her to cone forward finally.

Yeah, it sucks that I even have to question a sexual assault. I don't feel good about it but that's how this stuff works. The burden of proof is on the accuser. I realize we are not in the court of law but we can't have a judge, jury, and executioner mentality about this. 

If all it takes is an accusation from decades ago to derail someone's career in politics then things will get even worse for both parties. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My vote didn’t change.  But I’m giving the max to Cruz and getting everyone I know to vote and give.  Going to do my part to defeat Beta   

Tell us again how you used to be a Republican.  

The people you support are not conservatives. They have given that pretense up entirely and the people you mock because they "used to be Republicans", like a lot of the posters on this board, are simply people that are smart enough to see that their conservative values have been abandoned by charlatans like Ted Cruz who couldn't give the slightest shit about the interests of the people he represents. 

The rest of us just sit here and laugh while idiots like you suck the dick of a member of the NY elite who easily bamboozled your entire political party into crumpling up their "conservative values" and tossing them out the window for minor, short term power gains. It's actually pathetic how fucking beta and chickenshit you and others like you have become. Your own daughter probably secretly hates you. If she hasn't made her disgust known yet, don't be shocked when it happens or when she walks away when you impotently threaten to cut her off when she challenges your pussy ass political views.

• Like 4

Kavanaugh saying something didn't happen looks to be pretty damning evidence that it did based on his approach to several other questions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is basically, "I believe the last person who talked to me."

I think they’re both believable because they both believe what they’re saying FWIW.  

Absent some corroboration, I don’t see how he isn’t confirmed.  And that’s the right thing to do. 

Dr. Ford deserved far better than political shenanigans the Democrats played.   Can any of you surly libs admit that?   

Deserve’s got nothing to do with it, Little Lord Fuckface.

As an heir to the Randall’s grocery fortune, which aside from sacking a few bags of groceries during your formative douchebag-in-training years you contributed nothing to, you should know this.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I think they’re both believable because they both believe what they’re saying FWIW.  

Absent some corroboration, I don’t see how he isn’t confirmed.  And that’s the right thing to do. 

Do you acknowledge that he's been dishonest in his testimony throughout this process?

2 minutes ago, Player said:

As an heir to the Randall’s grocery fortune, which aside from sacking a few bags of groceries during your formative douchebag-in-training years you contributed nothing to, you should know this.

He worked hard for that. Gonna get himself a ranch in South Texas and celebrate once 50 and he can crack that inheritance open.

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

See I don't get this. If Ford was an obvious fake then yeah confirm the man, but there is serious doubt. Why not pull and nominate one of the hundreds of other conservative judge that doesn't have that doubt? I'd also be ok with an FBI investigation since Hill's only lasted 3 days.

Of course I'm not writing $10k checks to Cruz nor am I voting for him so the GOP doesn't give a shit what I think.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you acknowledge that he's been dishonest in his testimony throughout this process?

How so?

I didn’t watch it all. I do have a hard time believing he’s never blacked out if he likes beer, but other than that I don’t know. 

• Like 2

Just now, GRHorn said:

How so?

I didn’t watch it all. I do have a hard time believing he’s never blacked out if he likes beer, but other than that I don’t know. 

- He told FOX News that he kissed Renate and that's why he put "Renate Alumnus" in the yearbook. (Renate says they never kissed.)
- He told FOX News and the SJC that he was a virgin past HS. (His college roommate and yearbook say otherwise.)
- He said that' "devil's triangle" is a drinking game. (It's not.)
- He said that "boof" is farting. (It's not.)
- He said they didn't party on weeknights during the summer. (His own calendar says otherwise.)
- He said that "FFFFFFourth of July" is about a guy cussing. (It's not.)

There is a lot more.

Do you acknowledge that he's been dishonest throughout this process?

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

that you find that "awesome" is telling.

Well, some people admire it when someone calls out others on their bullshit. The ultimate goal in this was to postpone the confirmation until after elections and the democrats were willing to do anything in their power to accomplish that.

18 minutes ago, Stros said:

Today will be a great day for America.

No, no it won't. It's just another kick the can down the street partisan shit show for an appointment that's supposed to be above that shit.  Why doesn't Kavannaugh want the FBI to spend a few days to help clear his name ?  

IF he's innocent I'd think he'd wants any and every opportunity to prove it.  He was not a very good witness everyone he was asked if he would like the FBI to look into the matter he side stepped the question.  

Regardless that this was brought forward at the 11th hour or not. My reputation is of utmost importance to me and any blemish, especially a false accusation, is unacceptable.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 4

This is what I think happened too. They were horsing around pretending and they scared the shit out of Ford. It could have gone too far but it wasn't what they intended, hence all the laughter. So in his mind, it wasn't sexual assault. 
The Yale situation was the most likely to cause problems for him because people were going to come forward and attest to his drinking and the Debbie story would have gained more plausibility. He was lucky that she didn't get to testify. This is what truly would have eaten at his credibility since he insisted and got most defensive about getting passed out drunk. He is a liar and a cruel man. That angry red face is something I'm sure his wife sees a lot since he is still a petulant teenager emotionally.

And the highest court is not a place for a petulant teenager.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hammock said:

Yeah, it sucks that I even have to question a sexual assault. I don't feel good about it but that's how this stuff works. The burden of proof is on the accuser. I realize we are not in the court of law but we can't have a judge, jury, and executioner mentality about this. 

If all it takes is an accusation from decades ago to derail someone's career in politics then things will get even worse for both parties. 

No.  It takes more than an accusation.  It takes a credible accusation and the willingness to stand behind it. 

16 minutes ago, Player said:

Wait. Is it really Randall's?  I thought he never mentioned the name of his grandpas company.

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think that was the saddest part. Seeing a federal judge and a senator both channel their inner trump at the same time. Very much a devolution 

It is odd that the GOP voters seem to need an abusive tyrant to rally around. Their love for the tyrant then validates behavior like we saw with those two yesterday.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I can understand that point of view, but here's where I woke up on things this morning:

1) I can't know for sure what happened between Kavanaugh and Ford, if anything.

2) I believed her.

3) Kavanaugh said two things yesterday I know for a fact to be false during the hearing that have nothing to do with sexual assault.

4) He is deeply rooted in the partisan-industrial complex.

I've said elsewhere that if I was a Senator I would approach advise and consent from the standpoint that matters of philosophy and views on the constitution are within the prerogative of the executive doing the appointing, and I would approve or not on the basis of character, temperament and quality. Kavanaugh fails on those three, regardless of whether he assaulted Dr. Ford. 

These are 4 great points. Agree with summary as well.

No, no it won't. It's just another kick the can down the street partisan shit show for an appointment that's supposed to be above that shit.  Why doesn't Kavannaugh want the FBI to spend a few days to help clear his name ?  
IF he's innocent I'd think he'd wants any and every opportunity to prove it.  He was not a very good witness everyone he was asked if he would like the FBI to look into the matter he side stepped the question.  
Regardless that this was brought forward at the 11th hour or not. My reputation is of utmost importance to me and any blemish, especially a false accusation, is unacceptable.

Ask Joe Biden
  • Like 1

Can anyone explain to me if this hearing was to provide clarity or to get to the bottom of these allegations regarding Ford why did no Dem senator ever ask Kavanaugh about the incident itself? 

To me that is the most telling point. If this was about the truth they should have been raking him over the coals about Fords testimony and his categorical denials. They never did, and that signals to me this was never about Ford but about another opportunity to tarnish his image with other allegations instead.