Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

You don't think it's your duty not to lie while under oath?

I think one should do their best to answer honestly.  I also believe there is an obligation when questioning someone under oath to ask questions relevant to the allegation being discussed and not to ask questions to present a a dilemma that have no bearing on the truth of the allegations.  That is also a form of dishonesty.

Suppose you were a homosexual in he 1950s and you were on trial for molesting a kid.  The prosecution knows they don’t have a case against you, but he has also learned in his investigation that you are a homosexual.  He asks you under oath if you are a homosexual because he knows that this will impact how the jury sees you. How do you answer?  

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The question isn't what you would do, the question is what you think someone worthy of the SC should do. They are different things.

Feel free to say, "No, I don't think honesty is a requirement to be an SC justice." It's fine. It's 2018. People need to be open about what they believe.

Nothing is forbidden, just answer the question.

I would like for all SC justices to be perfect kantian saints.  

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

What can you ask about the alleged incident when questioning a guy about an event that he claims did not even remotely happen?   Hey, who else was at that party you say didn't exist?  Did Mark Judge say anything during the assault you say is a total fabrication at a non-existent party? 

There's nothing to ask him about the alleged incident besides whether there was such a party at all, whether he might have a memory lapse about it from his drinking, and whether he engaged in the kind of conduct that would be consistent with Dr. Ford's description of him. 

This reinforces the point I’m making.  There are no facts to even ask about regarding the incident.   So they played the political game that they did and took the opportunity to grandstand. 

1 minute ago, Aphelion said:

This reinforces the point I’m making.  There are no facts to even ask about regarding the incident.   So they played the political game that they did and took the opportunity to grandstand. 

Except for the part about the other relevant areas for questioning, which is exactly what the Dems focused on. 

2 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Suppose you were a homosexual in he 1950s and you were on trial for molesting a kid.  The prosecution knows they don’t have a case against you, but he has also learned in his investigation that you are a homosexual.  He asks you under oath if you are a homosexual because he knows that this will impact how the jury sees you. How do you answer?  

Hmmm.  Seems like I recall a major public figure getting impeached for perjuring himself about an office blow job.  Wish I could place the name . . . damn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Looks like the two women who confronted Flake at the elevator are the reason for the delay and FBI investigation.  Incredible. And awesome.

Tonight on Tucker Carlson "Beta cuck Jeff snowFlake betrays county thanks to the influence of unhinged leftist feminazis."

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Tonight on Tucker Carlson "Beta cuck Jeff snowFlake betrays county thanks to the influence of unhinged leftist feminazis."

Tucker's staffers currently scouring old Facebook entries of those two women.

Edited by retread

Here's what seems readily apparent to me - if he didn't do this, he handled it all wrong yesterday.  I do not want a guy spouting things about democratic conspiracies, etc. on the supreme court.  He's a partisan hack that would make Scalia and Kagan blush.  The main thing I took from yesterday is that this is a dude that doesn't seem fit to be a judge.  Period.  ALet him get a TV show or run for Congress.  That's fine.  But show some fucking magnanimity for god's sake.  That little tirade on the front end was not judicial, dude.   

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Devil's Triangle uses "devil" because it is unholy. Triangle because 3some. Why would quarters with 3 glasses be devilish? My joke is that it is a specific variant of quarters that uses 2 shot glasses from the Empire State Building gift shop and one souvenir glass from Carlbad Caverns. Get it???

Point of order: The "Devil" part of it comes from the two dicks being likened to a pair of Devil's horns.

44 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Out of rep. Jesus Christ this is good.

I gotcha fam.

48 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Kavanaugh has been exemplary throughout his life. He won over the Republican base like I have rarely seen before with his performance yesterday. He conveyed the disgust we Republicans have with this disgraceful attempts at character assassination. I’m GLAD that he didn’t debase himself by answering the ridiculous charge from Swetnick and “lied” when asked to define bullshit teenage slang. The Republican Party is transforming to one that will fight you sons of bitches in the streets. Street battles between the left and right are going to be a regular occurrence within the next decade. I’m glad we are prepping for it with our attitude.

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Fat bubbas and olds won't win many street fights

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't forget the incels. And the tiki torch morans. And this guy:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

if he didn't do this, he handled it all wrong yesterday.  I do not want a guy spouting things about democratic conspiracies, etc. on the supreme court.  He's a partisan hack that would make Scalia and Kagan blush. 

Well see now, you're just making chrispy and sacky and all the red hats want him more

BUT HE WENT TO YALE!

Funny story. Just traded emails with my
Brothers over an issue involving our mom selling a building she owns. My younger brother offered to have his friend “who went to Yale law school” look over papers pro bono (ignoring? The fact that I’m also a lawyer). I replied that “there’s a Kavanaugh joke in there somewhere” but refrained from making a political joke that might offend one or more of them.

To which he replied cryptically that the guy was also in his fraternity and would “leave it at that”.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

FBI investigation is a win-win for America, IMO. 

FBI releases statement:  We have completed our investigation of Judge Kavanaugh, however, due to DOJ norms we will wait until after the election before our findings are disclosed to the congressional committee or the public. 

Be best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

FBI releases statement:  We have completed our investigation of Judge Kavanaugh, however, due to DOJ norms we will wait until after the election before our findings are disclosed to the congressional committee or the public. 

Be best.

Well we have precedent now...

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And if Trumpkins don't like what the FBI has to say, then this will be another reason for Trump to start firing people left and right.  Or rather, try and get Kelly to start firing people left and right.

Oh man.  I didn't even think of the deep state implications here.  Awesome.

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Oh man.  I didn't even think of the deep state implications here.  Awesome.

We're talking about Donald Trump.   He's about as deep as my rain gutters - there's no deep state or long game here.  It's another chance for him to be passive-aggressive and whine on twitter about Sessions.

But let's say there's a long game.  If this was simply about getting a conservative judge through before the mid-terms, ACB is a more conservative and much "cleaner" candidate, who would sail through the confirmation for the most part.

Why isn't she warming up, or even stepping up to the plate?  The FBI investigation could easily make the GOP look really bad.

Is this simply about Trump being defiant?  Maybe, but he's been known to quickly cut loose people who prove embarrassing to him.

Why did Graham completely loose his shit yesterday?

Things are just not adding up.  Somebody is scared that Kavanaugh isn't going to be confirmed. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

19 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Here's what seems readily apparent to me - if he didn't do this, he handled it all wrong yesterday.  I do not want a guy spouting things about democratic conspiracies, etc. on the supreme court.  He's a partisan hack that would make Scalia and Kagan blush.  The main thing I took from yesterday is that this is a dude that doesn't seem fit to be a judge.  Period.  ALet him get a TV show or run for Congress.  That's fine.  But show some fucking magnanimity for god's sake.  That little tirade on the front end was not judicial, dude.   

I think Scalia would have agreed with you. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Just now, Incredulity said:

Anyone know what the "scope" of the FBI investigation is?  

I would assume to be limited to one week there are specific instructions.  Anyone?

I haven't read the doc yet but CNN reported that it is constrained to "current credible allegations", so there's quite a bit of gray area on whether or not it's just Dr. Ford's allegations or if it includes Avenatti's which DOES have a signed affidavit by the alleged victim who is a federal employee, but has not been recognized by the judiciary committee republicans.

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

The FBI investigation does another thing too.  If they give BK the green light, it also undermines the FBI going all deep state. 

nothing does that.  cf. "fake news."  any time WaPo or NYT publishes something that is favorable to the right, its because they got the story correct.  if it is unfavorable, it is fake.  I predict the same with FBI.  "even the deep state FBI couldn't come up with pretense to slander this God fearing man" / "FBI confirms its soft coup against the president by shading all this nonsense into some ridiculous crime."

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I haven't read the doc yet but CNN reported that it is constrained to "current credible allegations", so there's quite a bit of gray area on whether or not it's just Dr. Ford's allegations or if it includes Avenatti's which DOES have a signed affidavit by the alleged victim who is a federal employee, but has not been recognized by the judiciary committee republicans.

Well, that looks like another point to argue.

Certainly expect another doozy of a week.

Anyone ever figure out who wrote the NYT op-ed from what feels like 3 years ago?

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

nothing does that.  cf. "fake news."  any time WaPo or NYT publishes something that is favorable to the right, its because they got the story correct.  if it is unfavorable, it is fake.  I predict the same with FBI.  "even the deep state FBI couldn't come up with pretense to slander this God fearing man" / "FBI confirms its soft coup against the president by shading all this nonsense into some ridiculous crime."

but it's yet another nail In that coffin along with never notifying the public Trump was being investigating while days before the election, declaring they were investigating Hillary's emails yet again.  

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Anyone know what the "scope" of the FBI investigation is?  

I would assume to be limited to one week there are specific instructions.  Anyone?

I would guess there will be a limited scope.  If Mark Judge starts to reference the dead body incident at Spring Break '85, the FBI agents will stop him from continuing down that path.

20 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

While I'm not sure he shouldn't be a judge, I do think he damaged his brand and the "objectivity" that SCOTUS nominees and justices ascribe to in public (even if they have their partisanship in private) wasn't adhered to.  He is an extremely partisan political operative who is being nominated to be "Trump's guy" and because McGahn can trust him to be in their corner if and when the time comes.  That's a fucking terrible precedent and very ugly.  He'll probably still get confirmed but he's a poor nominee and chances are he'll make a poor SCOTUS justice. 

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Well, that looks like another point to argue.

Certainly expect another doozy of a week.

Agreed. Seems sloppy from Grassley to not tighten up the language unless this is a tactic to distract more about what is and isn't credible while trying to run out his (again) arbitrary clock.

Just now, Captainant said:

Agreed. Seems sloppy from Grassley to not tighten up the language unless this is a tactic to distract more about what is and isn't credible while trying to run out his (again) arbitrary clock.

Its going to get worse(the politics of this thing).

We will be right back in the same spot in a week.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's why I have that sneaky feeling the leak came foom somebody in Feinsteins office to somebody that actually then leaked it to a reporter.  This was used for maximum political effect.  And to those who say, no way I say, way.

I approve this message.

Image result for mitch mcconnell thumbs up

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1