Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

As an undergraduate student at Yale, Brett M. Kavanaugh was involved in an altercation at a local bar during which he was accused of throwing ice on another patron, according to a police report.

The incident, which occurred in September 1985 during Mr. Kavanaugh’s junior year, resulted in Mr. Kavanaugh and four other men being questioned by the New Haven Police Department. Mr. Kavanaugh was not arrested, but the police report stated that a 21-year-old man accused Mr. Kavanaugh of throwing ice on him “for some unknown reason.”

A witness to the fight said that Chris Dudley, a Yale basketball player who is friends with Mr. Kavanaugh, then threw a glass that hit the man in the ear, according to the police report, which was obtained by The New York Times.

02bar-report1-superJumbo-v2.jpg?quality=

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/us/politics/kavanaugh-bar-fight.html

Here's a sample of several highlighted pages of the written questions Dems on the SJC submitted to Brett about his debt accrual and disappearance prior to his nomination.  So there are certainly answers provided by BK, albeit without Dem subpoena power to verify at this time.  Given the now expanded parameters for the FBI to conduct a thorough background check not requiring GOP approval, I expect it would take less than a day to trace the money flow of his debt formation and resolution.

Are the answers to those questions public?

Kavanaugh sounds like hes had some issues with drinking.  Like many.  I’m more  interested if he still has one.  We know he hasn’t followed a path like GWB and stopped later in life.   

But there doesn’t appear to be any public evidence that he still has a problem.  

To answer those that ask how has kavanaugh perjured himself, the blackout denial is an easy one.  Can it be proven?  No, unless he wrote it down somewhere.  But what heavy drinking young person hasn’t blacked out?   It’s 100%.      Now the senate doesn’t have a burden of proof to not give kavanaugh the Justice role.  They can use common sense or whatever.

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Stinkball busted out with a smooth 800 on the SAT. That's not verbal or math -- that's total. And that was good enough for the Gamecocks. 

Is this serious? I got an 1100 on it in 7th fucking grade. 800 is basically retarded. 

I'm wondering what's not in his emails, because judging by the way he's acting, his life depends on Kavanaugh making it.
Graham has gone fucking nuts.  Truly fucking nuts.

“I’m tired of your crayap! I’ll take mah shirt off and faht you! Who’s a ryno nayow??”

So now the liberals are citing an ice throwing incident in college. Great job by the intergalactic freak show that is the Democratic Party. I cannot wait to see the butthurt that occurs when he gets confirmed Friday.
He s defense is (1) I don't remember (2) I remember everything and never blacked out drinking. Any accounts of his excessive drinking is highly relevant to 2. It's not that hard.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Skyline said:

Graham's angling for that AG job once Sessions is sent home. This is the price to pay: complete, and very public allegiance to all things Trump. 

I keep hearing that and it makes sense but why would she want to be AG?  Trump's White House is a total shit show to the point the #3 took a job at WMT just to GTFO.  

Some talking head over the weekend made the comment about Graham in that she's always had a protector with the Beltway media crowd in McCain.  Now that McCain's gone, she needs to find another strong pimp hand so she's going with Trump.  

• Haha 1

Potentially the most open and shut perjury under oath found in the last 24hrs:

Brett testified in a public hearing the first he heard of the allegations from Ramirez about him was when the Mayer/Farrow New Yorker story was published.

Kyle Griffin:  “NBC News: Text messages between two friends of Brett Kavanaugh "suggest that the nominee was personally talking with former classmates about [Deborah] Ramirez's story in advance of the New Yorker article that made her allegation public."

Lying about his own coordinated damage control.

23 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
43 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
So now the liberals are citing an ice throwing incident in college. Great job by the intergalactic freak show that is the Democratic Party. I cannot wait to see the butthurt that occurs when he gets confirmed Friday.

He s defense is (1) I don't remember (2) I remember everything and never blacked out drinking. Any accounts of his excessive drinking is highly relevant to 2. It's not that hard.

Unless you're special needs like Lindsey Graham.

24 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
44 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Also, remember during his initial hearings how he couldn't recall his opinions on key cases and then later he whips out his day planner from 1983?

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

it's the lying on Thursday in front of the senate, not the ice throwing a billion years ago

35 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I keep hearing that and it makes sense but why would she want to be AG?  Trump's White House is a total shit show to the point the #3 took a job at WMT just to GTFO.  

Some talking head over the weekend made the comment about Graham in that she's always had a protector with the Beltway media crowd in McCain.  Now that McCain's gone, she needs to find another strong pimp hand so she's going with Trump.  

Sessions is all but certain to be out as AG after the midterms.

His replacement all but certainly has to be a Senator or recent Senator to get confirmed.

Graham would be able to wield more power and influence as AG. He could also undo much of the evil shit Sessions has done as it relates to civil rights and immigration.  He would also neutralize Stephen Miller who Graham hates. 

Lindsey is playing the game.  If he were a character in Game of Thrones, he would be Littlefinger.

I’m not condoning what Graham is doing but I’m telling you what I see going on.

I also think Graham’s strategy has a very limited chance of success with the costs being extremely high. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

No, Hugo.  I don't trust you after you got burned time and time again with your Flake love.

McCain is gone and now Lindsey has gone off the rails.  Maybe he's grieving, but he's not the Lindsey you think he is.

Based on everything we've learned, if I had to stake my life on one version of events, what I think happened is that Dr. Ford is 100% telling the truth in her description of events and what she reasonably thought was happening, but Kavanaugh had no intention of raping her.   It was a sexual assault via groping and unwanted sexual contact over clothing (still a serious crime), and Kavanaugh was wasted.  He knows he did it, even though he may be hazy on details, and is lying about it, perhaps by rationalizing that he didn't really want to rape her, he was too drunk to be responsible, etc.)
If he had come out from the start and apologized, said he's heartbroken at how Dr. Ford perceived the events, that he acted inappropriately as a teenager then and with Ms. Ramirez (who I also think is telling the truth), but that he would never and did never try to rape anyone, that he got his drinking under control, has lived his adult life being respectful to women, etc., that would be one thing.   Instead, he's lied about like a dozen things.  It's a disgrace that the GOP is going to put him on the Supreme Court. 
Agree with this. I would add, for completeness, Kavanaugh is a piece of shit.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Based on everything we've learned, if I had to stake my life on one version of events, what I think happened is that Dr. Ford is 100% telling the truth in her description of events and what she reasonably thought was happening, but Kavanaugh had no intention of raping her.   It was a sexual assault via groping and unwanted sexual contact over clothing (still a serious crime), and Kavanaugh was wasted.  He knows he did it, even though he may be hazy on details, and is lying about it, perhaps by rationalizing that he didn't really want to rape her, he was too drunk to be responsible, etc.)

If he had come out from the start and apologized, said he's heartbroken at how Dr. Ford perceived the events, that he acted inappropriately as a teenager then and with Ms. Ramirez (who I also think is telling the truth), but that he would never and did never try to rape anyone, that he got his drinking under control, has lived his adult life being respectful to women, etc., that would be one thing.   Instead, he's lied about like a dozen things.  It's a disgrace that the GOP is going to put him on the Supreme Court. 

100% huh? God I love this board. 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No, Hugo.  I don't trust you after you got burned time and time again with your Flake love.

McCain is gone and now Lindsey has gone off the rails.  Maybe he's grieving, but he's not the Lindsey you think he is.

With Flake, I acknowledged he was playing politics from the beginning but there was a level of sincerity with his approach that was appealing.  He showed promise.  I try not to get emotionally attached to the person but the ideas they espouse.  

To evaluate politicians, you have to look at the few moments when they stick their necks out at great political risk to themselves.  Lindsey has done this with Trump on a few things (Putin, Mueller, DACA, and shithole gate).  

Lindsey wasn’t taking a stand on those issues to get re-elected and he’s not publicly blowing Trump now to win another Senate race.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

it's the lying on Thursday in front of the senate, not the ice throwing a billion years ago

Not sure how many minor confirmations we need that he was a shitbag long ago. Present all lies in a comprehensive package at a press conference with all witnesses and give the opening and closing statements to the American public explaining he’s a habitual liar and why the small lies matter. Stop with the finger pointing and crucify him. The truth is - he lied about drinking and blacking out bc if he admits it - there is the path for Dr Ford to be telling the full truth and Kavanaugh can only say well I didn’t do it but I guess I could have blacked out. That’s game set match right there. Dems need to put that shit on blast as we used to say.

Or maybe Graham wants to be an accomplice with Kavanaugh and others to make the president above the law.

Graham's motive may be that he's dirty, too, and is trying to save his own skin.

If the GOP has become a criminal enterprise, wouldn't that explain the actions of many of the Republicans in Congress?

Here's a wild guess: Trump will pardon himself, his family, and scores of GOPs. Kavanaugh is the deciding vote in protecting them from state prosecution. Graham can obstruct the Justice Department from within.

"This has been a witch hunt con job for two years. The lying fake news media have colluded with the angry lying Democrats to paint a false narrative because they hate me for beating Crooked Hillary. We've put up with this long enough. There is no evidence of collusion or anything else. For the good of the country, I'm pardoning myself even though I personally would like to fight them to the end. But there is no end. I'm ending it. I'm also pardoning all of the White House staff including my family. The witch hunters are actually going after my daughter. I won't permit this.

"Lastly, the rigged investigation has turned their con job witch hunt on members of the GOP. I won't allow the Democrats to use the Justice Department for their own political purposes. I grant pardons and amnesty for all Republican members of Congress.

"I have already had the most successful presidency in the history of this country. I can now turn my full attention to Making America Great Again!"

Then Graham will have any Democrats caught up in the Russian scandal rounded up and put in a prison camp in South Texas or maybe Guantanamo. The overwhelmingly GOP Congress passes sedition laws and strict libel laws to suppress the media.

Many angry posts will be written by me and others. Then we all go over to Brisket's bunker to watch Trump's military parade on the TV. I'll get dirty looks for bringing rye and cheap beer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The GOPs have done a nice job pushing Dr. Ford's compelling, courageous testimony off the radar through fake compassion and dismissal.

I believe this woman.

AP_18270641194407.sized-770x415xt.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Or maybe Graham wants to be an accomplice with Kavanaugh and others to make the president above the law.

Graham's motive may be that he's dirty, too, and is trying to save his own skin.

If the GOP has become a criminal enterprise, wouldn't that explain the actions of many of the Republicans in Congress?

Here's a wild guess: Trump will pardon himself, his family, and scores of GOPs. Kavanaugh is the deciding vote in protecting them from state prosecution. Graham can obstruct the Justice Department from within.

"This has been a witch hunt con job for two years. The lying fake news media have colluded with the angry lying Democrats to paint a false narrative because they hate me for beating Crooked Hillary. We've put up with this long enough. There is no evidence of collusion or anything else. For the good of the country, I'm pardoning myself even though I personally would like to fight them to the end. But there is no end. I'm ending it. I'm also pardoning all of the White House staff including my family. The witch hunters are actually going after my daughter. I won't permit this.

"Lastly, the rigged investigation has turned their con job witch hunt on members of the GOP. I won't allow the Democrats to use the Justice Department for their own political purposes. I grant pardons and amnesty for all Republican members of Congress.

"I have already had the most successful presidency in the history of this country. I can now turn my full attention to Making America Great Again!"

Then Graham will have any Democrats caught up in the Russian scandal rounded up and put in a prison camp in South Texas or maybe Guantanamo. The overwhelmingly GOP Congress passes sedition laws and strict libel laws to suppress the media.

Many angry posts will be written by me and others. Then we all go over to Brisket's bunker to watch Trump's military parade on the TV. I'll get dirty looks for bringing rye and cheap beer.

Perhaps but I think this is overthinking it.  Graham has a current objective and he’s calculated the best way to achieve that objective is to make Trump as happy as possible with his media performances. 

I responded to your post - I think it was yours - about this case way earlier or in the trump thread. I don’t think the SC is only one vote away from giving that ruling in the Gamble case. In fact it’s probably the liberal justices that think the outcome in that case is unconstitutional despite the principle of dual sovereigns.

I don’t think Roberts will let his court become the Trump Kavanaugh court.

Just now, troph said:

I responded to your post - I think it was yours - about this case way earlier or in the trump thread. I don’t think the SC is only one vote away from giving that ruling in the Gamble case. In fact it’s probably the liberal justices that think the outcome in that case is unconstitutional despite the principle of dual sovereigns.

Still might be worth a shot, no?

I'm just guessing about all of this. As the Trump cancer spreads over the government, I am still in the first stage of response: anger. I think what I write is plausible but the evidence isn't there...yet. We'll see.

I appreciate your reasonable response.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Perhaps but I think this is overthinking it.

NO! You're over thinking this. I worked my buns off to be in the top half of my high school class! I probably would have been a captain of my football team if I hadn't had two knee operations. My mom...sniff...choke...squint...used to keep a grocery list...gulp...on the refrigerator door. I...do that now myself.

NO, LET ME FINISH! I have many female friends, Platonic friends, from high school. At least they said we should be friends after turning me down for a date.

I'm not a quitter! ARE YOU?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Its that Chris Dudley? Lol. So Kav throws ice, other dude gets up to throw down, and Kav's 7 foot friend hits the guy with a glass? 7 foot friend or not, if you throw ice on someone, you should be prepared to fight that guy 1 on 1. Not surprised that he is the type of guy that starts shit only when he has the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

The underlying premise to that federalist article is not receiving a lifetime position on the Supreme Court == going to prison. Okay.

Someone should ask Manafort if he'd prefer a seat on the Supreme Court or his prison sentence.

25 minutes ago, troph said:

With the principles at play, you could get an odd mix in that case.  (I don't know anything about the case other than it sounds like collapsing the dual sovereigns into one).  Seems like something Thomas wouldn't like or any originalist.  Almost a total flip of what all justices have been up to now.

6 hours ago, horncyclist said:
8 hours ago, triplehorn said:
Here's a sample of several highlighted pages of the written questions Dems on the SJC submitted to Brett about his debt accrual and disappearance prior to his nomination.  So there are certainly answers provided by BK, albeit without Dem subpoena power to verify at this time.  Given the now expanded parameters for the FBI to conduct a thorough background check not requiring GOP approval, I expect it would take less than a day to trace the money flow of his debt formation and resolution.

Are the answers to those questions public?

I found this article from a couple weeks ago.

It includes a segment about Sen. Whitehouse's questions on how he recently cleared his years long ongoing debt.  Brett gives a cryptic answer:

"Kavanaugh’s reported debt, which amounted to between $60,000 to $200,000 in a 2016 disclosure, raised questions from multiple lawmakers, including Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), who pressed him to explain whether some of it stemmed from a gambling problem. Whitehouse also called on Kavanaugh to detail how he covered this debt, which was “paid off or fell below the reporting requirements” in 2017, according to the Washington Post.

Kavanaugh emphasized that he has no gambling debts, though his response regarding how the debts themselves were covered remains somewhat cryptic. He also details extensive home improvements that were tied to some of this debt.

"We have not received financial gifts other than from our family which are excluded from disclosure in judicial financial disclosure reports. Nor have we received other kinds of gifts from anyone outside of our family, apart from ordinary non-reportable gifts related to, for example, birthdays, Christmas, or personal hospitality. On the 2018 financial disclosure report, I correctly listed “exempt” for gifts and reimbursements because those are the explicit instructions in the 2018 Filing Instructions for Judicial Officers and Employees.

At this time, we have no debts other than our home mortgage. Over the years, we carried some personal debt. ... Over the years, we have sunk a decent amount of money into our home for sometimes unanticipated repairs and improvements."  cont.

Sessions is all but certain to be out as AG after the midterms.
His replacement all but certainly has to be a Senator or recent Senator to get confirmed.
Graham would be able to wield more power and influence as AG. He could also undo much of the evil shit Sessions has done as it relates to civil rights and immigration.  He would also neutralize Stephen Miller who Graham hates. 
Lindsey is playing the game.  If he were a character in Game of Thrones, he would be Littlefinger.
I’m not condoning what Graham is doing but I’m telling you what I see going on.
I also think Graham’s strategy has a very limited chance of success with the costs being extremely high. 

I actually think this is the most likely scenario.

A poll just came out in North Dakota.  Cramer is ahead of Heitkamp by TEN!  I'm sure this megamove is related to the SCOTUS situation. 

I meet weekly on a committee that coordinates county campaign activity.  The committee gets reports and makes decisions on how to spend money and use manpower.  We have seen a noticeable difference in the stats (e.g. percentage of houses taking signs from door knockers).  The GOP is noticeably more angry.  I wouldn't be surprised if Dems are too.

I think this is dicey for candidates in purple states and ominous for Dems in Red states or Pubs in Blue states.

3 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

A poll just came out in North Dakota.  Cramer is ahead of Heitkamp by TEN!  I'm sure this megamove is related to the SCOTUS situation. 

I meet weekly on a committee that coordinates county campaign activity.  The committee gets reports and makes decisions on how to spend money and use manpower.  We have seen a noticeable difference in the stats (e.g. percentage of houses taking signs from door knockers).  The GOP is noticeably more angry.  I wouldn't be surprised if Dems are too.

I think this is dicey for candidates in purple states and ominous for Dems in Red states or Pubs in Blue states.

There's already a discussion on this in the appropriate thread, Tahoe.

• Like 6