Is Art Acevedo going into politics? He's sorta getting involved in education.

atomheartbevo

48 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

When he was hired Acevedo had been hailed by the Miami mayor as the “Michael Jordan of police chiefs,” but that opinion has not been shared by some as Acevedo has settled in as top cop in the Florida city.

Wut?

Michael Jordan circa Birmingham Barons MiLB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

When he was hired Acevedo had been hailed by the Miami mayor as the “Michael Jordan of police chiefs,” but that opinion has not been shared by some as Acevedo has settled in as top cop in the Florida city.

Travis Scott Page GIF

The Miami-Herald noted that chief’s latest gaffe relates to a comment he made during a morning roll call, telling a group of 100 about officers that department was run by the “Cuban Mafia.” Acevedo apologized for the comment and said he intended it as a joke, the Miami-Herald reported. The publication said Acevedo said he was unaware the term had been coined by Fidel Castro to paint Miami exiles as criminals for opposing his dictatorship. The majority of city commissioners in that city, the paper noted, “are either exiles or have families who have suffered during the six decades of oppression under the Communist regime.”

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

Additionally, the Miami-Herald reported that Acevedo “fired the highest-ranking police couple in the department for not properly reporting a patrol vehicle accident. He relieved a popular sergeant-at-arms from duty and demoted four majors, including one of the city’s highest-ranking Black femaleofficers, without explanation. He posed for a selfie — unaware, he said — that it was with a leading member of South Florida’s white nationalist group the Proud Boys. He’s rankled members of the judiciary by repeatedly blasting them for early inmate releases from prison and jail.”

Steve Urkel Oops GIF

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MAROON said:

thank God Miami took that ass hat off Houston's hands.

Art reminds me of fitlump - they are both making a lot more money than they were 5-10 years ago, they convinced a bunch of people that they know act they are doing, and it feels like both are just competent enough in these jobs to keep them, but just barely.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Art reminds me of fitlump - they are both making a lot more money than they were 5-10 years ago, they convinced a bunch of people that they know act they are doing, and it feels like both are just competent enough in these jobs to keep them, but just barely.

murica GIF by FirstAndMonday

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/union-miami-police-chief-under-investigation-for-doing-the-same-thing-he-just-fired-two-cops-for-doing/?fbclid=IwAR0xFB1kjqZ1WE8gg0E-QCjulrep-geRy2UuNk0Wl8AzAV-Jdk2bIxWTaFI

gotta consider the source but happy reading.

MIAMI, FL- When Miami hired police chief Art Acevedo away from Houston earlier this year, the mayor of Miami Francis Suarez said, “We got the Michael Jordan of police chiefs.”

This was because Acevedo is something of a diva, always seeking to draw attention to himself despite his ineptness.

He’s been able to fool a lot of people, except the cops who have had to work under his command. However instead of Michael Jordan, it looks like Miami got Colin Kaepernick…all bluster and no talent.

The latest in the saga of the attention whore involves damage to his city-owned SUV, according to NBC 6 Miami. Now the city’s Citizen’s Investigative Panel (CIP) is investigating.

NBC 6 said they acquired photos of Acevedo’s unmarked Chevy Tahoe which showed scratches and other minor damage on it. The outlet also said a source told them the bumper had been separated from the front of the vehicle.

According to a complaint filed against him, it says the damage was alleged to have occurred sometime between Sept 6 and Sept 10. The complaint noted that Acevedo delayed filing a report on the accident in a timely manner as required.

“No police report was generated to document the damages as required by the City of Miami Departmental Orders,” the complaint read.

Tommy Reyes, police union president who has been at odds with Acevedo pretty much from the outset said he took photos of the damage several days after seeing the damage the first time, which was prior to the Sept 10 police memo describing the damage and the investigation.

What makes this incident even more interesting is the fact that earlier this year, two high-ranking Miami police officers—Commander Nerly Papier and her husband Deputy Chief Ronald Papier—were both terminated after she got into an accident and the department concluded rules were broken in how the aftermath of that incident was handled.

It was Acevedo who terminated the couple.

“It appears to be pretty hypocritical that we had someone who was fired not too long ago for the same type of incident—who was fired for not reporting I would say a minor crash—was fired, and now it appears the chief has committed the same infraction,” Reyes said.

Acevedo told NBC 6 through a spokesman that the allegations into the accident and his involvement are baseless and welcomes an investigation, while playing the victim, saying the complaint is an attempt to distract from his efforts to “reform and improve the department.”

Which in Acevedo’s case means marginalizing the officers of the department while portraying himself as a knight in shining armor.

Acevedo’s comments seem to fly in the face of the facts of the case. The citizens complaint, which was filed anonymously, notes the timeline of the damage related to when it was reported is “clearly an attempt to cover up the damages and how Chief Acevedo’s vehicle was damaged.”

Reyes says this is just the latest in a line of trouble in the agency since Acevedo joined the department.

“The members have made it pretty clear. The morale sucks right now. They are not happy. Cops don’t want to come to work,” Reyes said. “They are afraid to do their job and I did an internal survey, and the survey was actually pretty shocking for me. The numbers were pretty high. I don’t think the members want to work for Art Acevedo anymore.”

Acevedo has attempted to make a name for himself since he left Houston for Miami earlier this year. In one case, he is attempting to discipline an officer for allegedly making a racist, white supremacist symbol, however it was a symbol which he himself had previously displayed.

He is also accused of insulting Cuban city leaders by making an anti-Cuban comment recently. He has also threatened to fire police officers who refuse to get vaccinated. No wonder the cops hate him. More on those two incidents can be found below.

NBC 6 said it reached out to Acevedo, who typically wasn’t available for comment at the time of publication. The outlet also reached out to City Manager Art Noriega who instead tried to lay blame for the incident on the police union.

“Although I have personally reviewed the facts surrounding Chief Acevedo’s unmarked vehicle incident, I welcome the investigation the Civilian Investigative Panel has initiated,” Noriega said.

“It is very unfortunate however that yet again this seems to be another attempt by the Fraternal Order of Police to baselessly undermine our Police Chief.”

So, based on that statement, Noriega seems to have already formed an opinion that Acevedo did nothing wrong and blames the Fraternal Order of Police. It’s small wonder the police officers in Miami are feeling the way they do.

Not all city leaders however are happy with Acevedo’s act, and city commissioners have called a September 27 meeting to have a discussion with him about his job performance and possibly his future status, Newsweek reports.

“I’ll be damned if I’m going to let a new transplant come here and do whatever he wants,” said Miami commissioner Joe Carollo last Monday. “Each one of us are duly elected. And each one of us has deep roots in this community.”

While city commissioners cannot personally fire the police chief, they do have control over Noriega whose decision such a move would be.

Newsweek also said they reached out to Acevedo who was also unavailable to them…shocker.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:09 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

He’s a top notch glad hander. I’m friends with a Justice of the Peace that adores the guy.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s a top notch glad hander. I’m friends with a Justice of the Peace that adores the guy.

Sounds like a friend I'd call in a welfare check on.

"Gimme the Goines Special..."

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article254801062.html

Is the brief and tumultuous term of Miami Police Chief Art Acevedo about to end?

Multiple sources, including a handful of his detractors in City Hall, told the Miami Herald that city staff is already working on an exit plan for the chief. But others deep in the loop insist the decision to drop the ax hasn’t been made yet. Acevedo’s supporters — mostly confined to the city’s Black police union — say they haven’t a clue how things will turn out.

They all have one thing in common, though: None of them are willing to publicly comment on maneuvers behind the scenes.

Even the chief, typically outspoken when challenged, isn’t speaking. That is, other than issuing a brief statement through a spokesperson saying the city manager has ordered him not to comment on issues related to him or his future.

On 9/16/2021 at 4:20 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Sounds like every politician, everywhere

The guy is a first class bullshitter that has been able to deflect blame his entire career.

He survived 13-14 years in Austin and Houston, but Miami cans him in 6 months. It’s a stunningly swift decision. I couldn’t tell you a thing about Miami politics, but it seems like there’s something going on behind the scenes. 

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Billy may have another documentary on his hands. 

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Billy may have another documentary on his hands. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The guy is a first class bullshitter that has been able to deflect blame his entire career.

He survived 13-14 years in Austin and Houston, but Miami cans him in 6 months. It’s a stunningly swift decision. I couldn’t tell you a thing about Miami politics, but it seems like there’s something going on behind the scenes. 

Looks like he has Billy won over

That's all Houston had to do, when he was out there railing against the DA and judges, should have fired his ass. I forget the topic, but he went on a rant while in Houston,  got called out and basically went into silent mode for a couple weeks. He's getting fired because he's no better than the people he's calling the FBI on. Guy is full of shit.

The Miami scumbags city councilors are being checked out by the FBI. The mayor is in hiding but he started this corruption exposure by hiring Art the way he did. He used him as a pawn but Art must have known how things might go for him. Looks like wrongful termination and money might be legitimately going his way if these Miami council members are as corrupt as his report says and they are wrongfully terminating him.  Y'all may have good reasons to hate him but he isn't in a bad position due to this possible firing.