Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

False - I have a UT engineering degree and MBA.

Well aren't you, something?  

I have a student in one of my finance courses this semester who is BHP, Plan II, and Aerospace Engineering.  I want to call him a nerd, but I know I'll be working for him soon.  

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Not in play right now, you're correct. Could be in play later depending on how they do. They don't have Notre Dame or their game with Bama to trip them up. But if they don't win the Pac 12 or if Helton struggles to win the South, he might be out. So lock it up now with Urban while they have no other options. I know, we're Texas, blah blah blah, it don't make a shit bravado but USC is a top 5 destination that might be pretty desirous to a guy who's already operating out of Los Angeles with his Fox job. 

I'm in total agreement with you 

21 hours ago, Chili dog said:

He’s not running the table. He hasn’t even played the best teams in the conference. If we win 6 games, I’ll be shocked. 

This

We shouldn’t have beaten Tech. If the onside kick didn’t work, we wouldn’t have. If Ingram didn’t fumble, we have a decent shot at beating TCU. But Duggan would have had 1:29 to dismantle our defense and kick a FG to tie, if not score a TD. You can’t convince me that wouldn’t have happened. The only reason we had a shot against ou is because of a brain lapse sequence that stopped the clock by Rattler. They were the better team.

All this “Sam the Lionheart” bullshit is smoke and mirrors. We should be 1-3 right now. 

• Hook 'Em 3

He's four weeks from tacitly quitting on this team and scouting out his next options.  But he's not getting fired.  He'll get to 5-5 and possibly a bowl game, if we're still having those.

There are some regents who refuse to have Urban Meyer set foot on a UT System campus.  I don't see us lining up a really great second option, but I hope we do.  

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Seems like we have 3 options for our next head coach.

1. Overpay to get Urban in here. It will be in the range of Jimbo but justifiably higher given Urban's resume.

2. Overpay to get a decent Power 5 head coach who's unhappy with his pay, like aggy with Jimbo but without the championship.

3. Spin the roulette wheel on another Group of 5 up and comer who may pay off but probably won't since the demands of this job are nothing like they're used to and certainly not ready for. 

We've tried two projects and they both had expected outcomes, Charlie's worse than Herman's. It's not my money and I no longer care about optics. Just hire the best person possible that can completely change our culture, recruiting, and most importantly develop the talent on the field. How many times could we have won games the past 4 years had we just gotten a little extra out of the existing players on the roster? Try for Mullen, I doubt he moves. Try for Urban, he at least is an option you can romance without any pressure. Your biggest threat to land him is USC and they won't get started for another month. If he's the guy, make him the guy. We've tried it the other way. 

The sooner the better assuming this season ends up a true shit show record wise.  The chatter amongst the Big Cigars should be made public soon that two more loses will seal Tom’s fate. A “Rout 66” like whooping at any time would doom him ala John Mackovic.   It’s safe to say yesterday Tom  officially and overwhelmingly lost the fan base.   I haven’t read one media source or social media site taking up for Herman.   The comments with the articles  are pretty darn unanimous, save for a few stupid ass aggys who are feeling their oats thanks to the Super Bowl win yesterday forgetting that if history is correct, after a signature win they go to shit usually and they have a coach who is not delivering the product as well as promised.  If we lose to Baylor by a 21 or more point margin, CDC should fire Tom and name one of the staff members

interim.  This gives him time to find the right guy and name him toward the end of the season as the new coach, even if we manage to get to shit bowl game assuming they play them this year due to Covid. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Engineering has firm black white standards. Business school has, shall we say, a certain moral flexibility.

25 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

False - I have a UT engineering degree and MBA.

I have a UT engineering degree and law degree and I adjudge dbeasy to be mostly correct.

There's no absolutes in anything, but in my observation a business professional is somewhat more likely to adopt an ends justify the means posture than an engineering professional.  Probably worse in academia.

Tom, Sam and Dak. Two of those names have no quit in them. Fight and keep fighting. Today, Dak is done (hopefully not for the long count). Sam and Dak are both leaders. Always fighting. No quit in them. Tom is a fraud. A gimmick. A charlatan. Both teams are lucky to have had Sam and Dak. Both Sam and Dak have flaws. they make mistakes. they aren't even close to perfect. But Tom is a SOB. I hate this weekend of football and I hope that @South Austin mom can do the 37 blow job thing so we can at least find a competent leader here at Texas. As far as Dallas goes, I am not sure that will change shit until Jerry dies. At least Texas doesn't have to wait on one person to pull the trigger on an obvious mistake in a HC>

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

1. Overpay to get Urban in here. It will be in the range of Jimbo but justifiably higher given Urban's resume.

This is relative at the moment. The attraction to Urbs and Stoops is they don't require a buyout. With Urban he'd also retain 4/5 coaches further reducing the spend.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yesh said:

Assuming the players are aligned on what the real problem is here...I like the idea of making Ash the interim, and letting Yurcich do whatever he wants on offense.  If the players understand Tom is the problem, this could keep them motivated, and let Sam end his career without being held back.  It would also be an audition for keeping Yurcich.

I agree with the poster above that Sam should be Urban's Recruit Number One. Just like Ricky was Mack's. Sam may or may not have an NFL future, but we know he bleeds orange. Maybe he'd like to stay one more year and put some skins on the wall.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Yes, he SHOULD be fired right now. No, he won’t be. I am extremely skeptical that the BMDs would pony up $20-30 million right now.

Gotta be 200,000 alum and fans willing to put up $150 each. I don't how it would go about being put together but count me in. If someone would like to send me their banking info I'll cut the check tomorrow. 

23 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Hot take

Yeah did people in here really think Tom was going to coach a game in 2021? I thought they might let him finish the season, they still might, but 2-7 against TCU and OU means your ass is out the door. 

If we don't fire him the rest of the season this team will play to lose every week. Best, BEST case probably 6-4. 5-5 most likely imo.

9 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

Is it finally okay to admit that whole thing was pretty fucking weird. What 19 year old black kid wants to get kissed on with saliva residue from a mid 40s white guy? 

I think herm was a young 38 when he started that.  But to make matters worse if you were last in line he already kissed 80 other guys

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

You forget about the gun-toting hothead he never disciplined that eventually went on to kill 3 people? 

How can you say never disciplined Hernandez, when he didn't murder anyone at Florida. He sounds like a masterful disciplinarian to contain that monster for four years

TLDR (in advance: Tom sucks)

Sam Ehlinger scored six touchdowns and Texas still lost.

Texas lost its second straight game of the season and once again fell short in the Red River Shootout in a thrilling 53-45 four-overtime thriller against Oklahoma. This wasn’t a showdown of top-10 teams. These were two proud programs looking to stay relevant, and the Longhorns failed in defeat.

At some point you must stop wondering if the Longhorns will turn the corner. Now is the time to question whether the right people are in place to steer the wheel.

As entertaining as it was late in the fourth quarter and throughout the four overtimes, Oklahoma only delayed the inevitable. Tom Herman's Longhorns trailed 31-17 in the final 4 minutes of regulation and if not for Ehlinger’s heroics, Texas would have lost in regulation and we’d all be sitting here discussing just how terrible the Longhorns’ offense looked against a weak Oklahoma defense.

These Longhorns will not win the Big 12. They will not contend for a New Year’s Six bowl berth.

And they may finish with a losing record.

Texas is, in fact, not back. Pack that meme away. It's not happening this year or next year.

The offense is incredibly inconsistent even with one of the top quarterbacks in the country, and that's mostly because the offensive line is just not very good, which we should have been seen coming from a mile away considering Herb Hand’s penchant for de-constructing units once arriving on a college campus. The defense hasn’t proven worthy to stop above-average offenses and who truly believes improvement is coming any time soon, particularly with a Halloween date with Oklahoma State on the calendar? The Longhorns are also among the most undisciplined teams in the country, routinely ranking near the bottom nationally in penalties in the Herman era.

Both Oklahoma and Texas will lose games again this season. One of them might just finish with a losing season.

Tough questions will require difficult answers, even during this time of economic turmoil amid a pandemic. Is the end near for Herman? Is Texas headed in the right direction?

No. Herman is 1-4 against OU and in-state rival TCU is 3-1 against him. That hasn’t cut it for previous coaches at Texas. Why should Herman be any different?

(didn’t see my disclaimer before TLDR: Tom still sucks and so does OU)

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas