Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm not talking about Urban Meyer. I'm talking about CDC. That's A.

B. As we've gone over time and time again, the only thing better than money (probably around $4M right now) is MORE money ($12M). His last big payday. 

I know rich people and I know poor people.  None will turn down money doing something they love.  So we will see, maybe we really are toxic, but I don't believe it.  CDC still has my trust for now.

And even to a guy as wealthy as Urban, 60 million is a lot.  

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm not talking about Urban Meyer. I'm talking about CDC. That's A.

B. As we've gone over time and time again, the only thing better than money (probably around $4M right now) is MORE money ($12M). His last big payday. 

This.  That 4 million dollars from TV will always be there - whenever he retires.  Texas would likely be one last big payday - big enough that it would be hard to turn down.  His contract, when hired at Florida was 7 years 14 million dollars.  His last year at Ohio St he made 7.6 million.  This would dwarf any salary he''s ever made - and would give him the opportunity to be the only coach to win it all at three different schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I know rich people and I know poor people.  None will turn down money doing something they love.  So we will see, maybe we really are toxic, but I don't believe it.  CDC still has my trust for now.

And even to a guy as wealthy as Urban, 60 million is a lot.  

It would also give him the opportunity to double his son n laws salary. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  That 4 million dollars from TV will always be there - whenever he retires.  Texas would likely be one last big payday - big enough that it would be hard to turn down.  His contract, when hired at Florida was 7 years 14 million dollars.  His last year at Ohio St he made 7.6 million.  This would dwarf any salary he''s ever made - and would give him the opportunity to be the only coach to win it all at three different schools. 

If, "oh I already had enough money" were an actual thing that even 3% of us possessed, there wouldn't be Trumps. Other Billionaires. Mo Money is addictive, and almost stupid to pass up. 

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’d prefer to see a game coaches this year with this staff without Herman on the sideline. To specifically see what the offense looks like. 

Well TCU put up 59 on Kansas, so I'm not sure how much you'd glean by watching our offense play them.  I'm sure it will look good, just the way it did against UTEP.

30 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

17 days until early signing day . Letting Tommy hang around another week until there are seven days less of chances to get your new guy/plan out in front of these kids isn't optimal. 7 more days of thinking the guy you don't want to play for might be coming back to the school you wouldn't mind going to if he wasn't here. They just don't have Urban locked up. 

This has been my position. Every day Herman remains at Texas is a day wasted and a day that harms the future of the program. If we are not committed to Herman being our head coach we need to get him out of there as soon as we can. Can we afford to have one or two empty recruiting classes because our head coach is mentally out the door for weeks?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I would think, that if I am CDC, it looks good that $12M per has been reported. It looks like I've worked with the BMD's and we're unified. It's up to Urban now. I'm not sure why he'd shoot that down. 

Because contracts.

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Which one? How recent? 

Spoiler
URBAN DEVELOPMENT Below are things we’ve heard since Friday. Some of it is a reiteration, but reiteration is good. What we know: — The loss to Iowa State relieved a lot of pressure on the AD and administration. Even if Herman won out, including winning the Big 12, it would not have satiated a good amount of donors. We’ll never truly know if Texas would have removed Herman with an appearance in the conference championship, or even after a win, but the BBs would have begun spilling if he returned next year no matter what. A lot of donor money would have stayed on the sideline. — This pursuit requires all hands on deck. We may find out too many cooks are in the kitchen, but a bid like this requires team effort. Athletic director Chris Del Conte isn’t even the point man on the search, that would be school president Jay Hartzell. That’s not to undermine CDC, but this is Hartzell’s show. Hartzell, CDC, and the Board of Regents are all on the same page. The boosters are too. If a full throttled search is needed, CDC will become the point man. — The ball is in Urban’s court. He knows he’s wanted. He’s known for a while he’s wanted and he is very interested. He has been interested in the Texas job. This isn’t footsie and it’s not a hand on the thigh. They’re getting to the point where you find out if you’re going home together. — Texas won’t miss on Urban due to money. He won’t find a better combination of compensation package and ability to win a National Championship at a third school. Yes there are better football schools, but when are they coming open? No school can exceed what UT is willing to offer, and they certainly can’t do it while he’s 56. Texas knows it has no leverage but it also knows Meyer won’t find a better deal. — Scenario 4. This is very similar to Scenario 3 (a real search beyond Meyer) but it is also big game hunting. There isn’t much of an appetite for the Matt Campbells of the world, at least not yet. While everyone is pulling in the same direction and willing to break the bank, influential people want firm no’s and all options exhausted. Let me preface this by saying we’re pessimistic on any of these names coming to fruition, but before they move on to Scenario 3, the tires will be kicked on Dabo Swinney, Kyle Shanahan (tires have probably already been kicked), and maybe even Bob Stoops. It’s all dependent on what Meyer says. This is just indicative of the general mind state of the decision makers. — Gerry mentioned a well known agent says Urban is taking the gig. A well known head coach is saying similarly. There’s just no way Meyer would turn down the job at the speculated dollar amount. This coaching source also says Meyer absolutely wants to coach again. What we think we know: We feel confident about what’s written here, but not to the point we’d report it as fact. — Herman met with Del Conte on Sunday evening but we’re unsure how that meeting went. Herman was expected to ask for Del Conte's public support to help with the staff's current recruiting efforts. — The dollar figure we heard on Sunday for Urban is 5 years for $60 million. We have also heard the salary pool for assistants is in the neighborhood of $10 million. — We don’t believe family pressure will keep Meyer from coaching again, but we have heard with increasing regularity that health concerns are real. If doctors say he’s okay to coach again, that will be one more roadblock removed. More on this below. — Texas is the only job, college or pro, Meyer would consider at this time. We have heard of no other suitors, and believe if he’s not coaching at Texas next year, he’s not coaching at all. In fact, his coaching days may be done for good. — The UT braintrust should know by the end of this week if Meyer is going to take the job. What we’re unsure about: — Are health concerns a ploy to increase bargaining power? This issue likely would have been put to rest around the same time background checks were being done weeks ago. If Urban turns down this opportunity, we’ll be forced to question whether or not he will coach again. — Timing. We speculated on the timing being after Kansas State. That makes the most sense to us given current information. We could see the timeline being earlier, but not longer than a week from today. They would prefer the replacement is locked up before an announcement is made on Herman. From our vantage, Texas has done everything it can to land the second best coach of the century. They can’t make him take the job, they can only make it extremely difficult to turn down. Given how competitive he is, it’s hard to see what the hang up would be beyond health concerns.

I think this was posted here an hour ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

There have been Urban Meyer rumors for over a month. Rumors of donors having the money and on the same page for a month or more. Rumors of "one more loss and Tom's out" for over a month. CDC basically hanging herman out in the wind for over a month. We've been here. The only thing that has obviously changed is that Tom finally did lose a game. Why now, and not then? It'd be different if the season were technically over.  

Because until Tom lost that game, CDC wasn't going to deal with basic rumors.  Just like he wasn't last year when the rumors were abounding that Tom was gonna be fired before he beat Tech.  Heck even CTJ claimed we had someone line up and backed out after he beat Tech(which while I like CTJ I find really hard to believe that bit but oh well, he's got more insider juice then I ever will).  

Now there is something to act upon, there is a message to to convey and a story to steer. Something is happening and CDC is acting with regards to it.

OR FCB is as full of bleep as he always is and knows jack bleep and CDC isn't communicating squat.  

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Because until Tom lost that game, CDC wasn't going to deal with basic rumors.  Just like he wasn't last year when the rumors were abounding that Tom was gonna be fired before he beat Tech.  Heck even CTJ claimed we had someone line up and backed out after he beat Tech(which while I like CTJ I find really hard to believe that bit but oh well, he's got more insider juice then I ever will).  

Now there is something to act upon, there is a message to to convey and a story to steer. Something is happening and CDC is acting with regards to it.

OR FCB is as full of bleep as he always is and knows jack bleep and CDC isn't communicating squat.  

you can say "shit" on this website, FYI.

SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!

see?

I get most things, and why different sides would or wouldn't want *insert* reported. I just don't understand this one. And why today, and not a month ago. 

If you'd expand.

Because there are likely terms in Herman's contract that could be violated should there have actually been a formal offer made by Texas to UM. Violate those terms and you potentially give Herman leverage in the buyout talks, should there be any. It would just be CDC doing things by the book,  which he should.

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

I disagree about now there is something to act upon. It's still all rumors outside of one thing: Tom lost a game. But that doesn't really apply, as it's just an out in the open fact. There are still (possibly) two regular season games left, and there are still practically the same rumors. 

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Because there are likely terms in Herman's contract that could be violated should there have actually been a formal offer made by Texas to UM

I get that, but those numbers have been floated before. Rumors of negotiations the past month or more. Do you see what I'm saying? What's the difference now? Why act today because the $12M number is out there, when the $12M amount was floated out over three weeks ago?

Edited by UncleBuck

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin said he was told that Matt Campbell is a non-starter for Texas job.  Wasn't given any reasons.

I assume its because they are going big-game hunting and will eventually offer enough money to land a trophy.

What has become apparent is that the skillset to win at a place like Iowa State is not the same skillset needed to win at Texas.  Evaluating and coaching up lightly recruited players is so, so different than managing a team of kids who have been treated like football gods their entire lives.  Campbell MAY have both skillsets, but these "look what he's doing in Ames, imagine what he'd do in Austin!!!!" takes are meaningless.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, UncleBuck said:

I get that, but those numbers have been floated before. Rumors of negotiations the past month or more. Do you see what I'm saying? What's the difference now? Why act ntoday because the $12M number is out there, when the $12M amount was floated out over three weeks ago?

Rumors of contact and possibly negotiations between UM and people not officially representing UT. That's the difference. CDC has to make it clear that no offer has been formally made by UT.

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin said he was told that Matt Campbell is a non-starter for Texas job.  Wasn't given any reasons.

I assume its because they are going big-game hunting and will eventually offer enough money to land a trophy.

Yeah, it feels like Matt Campbell needs a different situation than TEXAS for his next job.  He would recruit the Ohio/Pennsylvania area well so Michigan, Penn State, or Pittsburgh might be better fits. 

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:
5 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:
I still don't believe there is a presser with Tom in less than an hour.  Talk about uncomfortable....what a waste of time. 

How else are we supposed to hear about how great Sunday practice was?

Now that would be funny, if a reporter continues with this line of questioning.  "Forget about your future, just exactly what was the best part of Sunday's practice, coach?"   "Was this the best Sunday practice of the year?" "How did the 2nd team TE perform at Sunday's practice after his great performance Saturday?" etc.  

I disagree about now there is something to act upon. It's still all rumors outside of one thing: Tom lost a game. But that doesn't really apply, as it's just an out in the open fact. There are still (possibly) two regular season games left, and there are still practically the same rumors. 

From our perspective yes. But that isn't CDC's perspective. If he felt his hand's were tied as long as Tom had a shot at the Big 12 title, then his hand's were tied.

Now they aren't.

Or.....as I already said FCB knows squat.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Rumors of contact and possibly negotiations between UM and people not officially representing UT. That's the difference. CDC has to make it clear that no offer has been formally made by UT.

I get that, I'm just saying that you'd think he'd have tried to get ahead of that a month ago, and not through FCB today. Whether it was negotiations with people not officially representing UT or not, having hard numbers ($12M) coming out of that could insinuate to some that the school itself would be involved. And the 5yr $60M number right now is also NOT being credited as a direct offer from UT officially. It could still be from people "not officially representing UT." But the insinuation is the issue. Same then as it is now. 

Sorry man, just doesn't make sense. I'm saying FCB is throwing shit against a wall.

Edited by UncleBuck

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Wrong. The entire point of communication is to move an idea from your mind to another's. By typing "bleep" you used foul language because you communicated the idea of the word "shit" and communicating that idea was your intent. Replacing it with another word only made you feel righteous, but you still cussed.

/rant

Not to mention you sound like a fucking 5 yr old if you use "bleeping" to replace a cuss word. Either you cuss or don't, but don't try and church it up with shit like "Bleep" 

Wrong. The entire point of communication is to move an idea from your mind to another's. By typing "bleep" you used foul language because you communicated the idea of the word "shit" and communicating that idea was your intent. Replacing it with another word only made you feel righteous, but you still cussed.
/rant
7-the-big-lebowski-quotes.gif
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Some of us don't actually use foul language.

see?

Thanks for letting us know your'e an aggy. If you don't want to cuss, then don't cuss but replacing cuss words with bleep or using other characters and then saying you don't cuss is right up there with saying "natty" on of the list of stupid, cringy things message board posters do.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, the word was Matt Campbell's camp had agreed to the conceptual offer floated, provided Herman was shown the door. Nothing concrete, and nothing that couldn't have been total bullshit either. That info has since been referenced by guys like Nahlin and Burton, so I assume it's somewhat reliable if actual journalists/pseudo-journalists are alluding to it. 

Nonetheless, it's never like I'm in the room. We should all take anything floated during times like this with as many grains of salt as we may need, as nothing's real until there's ink. There are more ways to float bullshit with an agenda today than at any time in history.

All of this considered, I view the premise of letting Herman go about BAU at this point as idiocy. Either Meyer is taking the job or he isn't. If he is, he's got the deal he needs already. If he isn't, the next guy is competing with other guys and UT has more leverage. With any of those outcomes, Herman is still fired and therefore able to do less damage to the program. My only counter to any of that is that CDC seems pretty good at his job, and we cannot see the full picture, so this must be necessary and the right move. I can't handle the concept of another incompetent hire or Herman continuing relevance at UT beyond next week, so I'll go with optimism.

Could CDC be trying to reduce the buyout somehow?

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Thanks for letting us know your'e an aggy. If you don't want to cuss, then don't cuss but replacing cuss words with bleep or using other characters and then saying you don't cuss is right up there with saying "natty" on of the list of stupid, cringy things message board posters do.

Or writing “G_d”

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas