Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

10 minutes ago, wood said:

Cliff's Notes?

Nothing ground breaking - just said we shouldn't settle for anything or anyone less than the best, that what we were getting wasn't that (implied), quoted McRaven about the importance of football to the school, etc. 

Like I said, not ground breaking stuff but candid, succinct and to the point.  Refreshing to hear from an ex player.  

I want Cosby to be involved with the school for a long time to come in some capacity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is it possible that the contract amendment for Herman did include a dropped buyout clause on 12/1, or have the internet sleuths reviewed the amendment too?

I think so. No one really knows the details of it but I would not be surprised

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is it possible that the contract amendment for Herman did include a dropped buyout clause on 12/1, or have the internet sleuths reviewed the amendment too?

I haven't seen the extension posted, but I don't know why Herman would have agreed to that.

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Nothing ground breaking - just said we shouldn't settle for anything or anyone less than the best, that what we were getting wasn't that (implied), quoted McRaven about the importance of football to the school, etc. 

Like I said, not ground breaking stuff but candid, succinct and to the point.  Refreshing to hear from an ex player.  

I want Cosby to be involved with the school for a long time to come in some capacity. 

Thanks for the recap, and yeah, Quan is a badass.

If Urban doesn't come, there is no way they can stay with Herman. Recruiting has become a train wreck because of the team's missed expectations and uninspiring play.  They will have to change out Herman, although I get the argument that it might actually be better to roll with him one more year to see if he can turn it around. However, I've concluded he just made too many mistakes:

1. OL - he's recruiting not very well the entire time here and that is the backbone of any championship team.

2. QB Philosophy - he's too dependent upon the QB running in his offense philosophy.

3. Staff Changes - too late

4. Offensive Meddling - knew he needed to go to a variant of the Air Raid to get more points on the board and just wouldn't do it.

5. Playing Time - too many good players sitting on the bench and too many average players getting too much playing time.

6. LB - didn't pay attention to this critical detail for years and it's killed us.

7. DB technique - for the love of god why can't we see DB's playing with proper technique more often. It's maddening.

8. Culture - the runny eggs bullshit and it's application hasn't been a great motivating tool.

9. Personality - too many stories of arrogance, bad relationships, behavior issues, etc.

It's unfortunate, because the guy is a bright coach. He just is demonstrating too many flaws to stay with the status quo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Shall Coach Herman stalk the Halls of Belmont, tell me I implore!
Quoth McRaven "Nevermore."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I haven't seen any evidence of this other than his saying he's a bright coach. Seriously, the only reason people think Herman is super smart is because Herman says he's super smart. 

Agree. This was based on some old Saban comments about him and his ability to win big games and bowl games in the past. He certainly hasn't done much here except for Georgia.

just reading through the thread, people mentioned Urban's "pixie dust" comment about Herman a few years back.  I am convinced he had a coke and drinking problem at isu, tosu, and at houston.  Meyer is a guy that seems to always have his former coaches backs and does his best to get them to progress in their careers.  Except for Tom Herman.  He fucking hates him.  I get it now.  

Also, we need more info about the DWI rumor.  I want this guy fucked out of his buyout.  If there is anything to void his buyout, I'm all for it.  Herman is a complete arrogant narcissist and it's quite an accomplishment to not have a single fucking person be in your corner.  The alums want him out, the AD wants him out, the former president hated him, the new president doesn't care for him, his players don't give a fuck about him, his former colleagues hate him, and I believe the rumors that Sam hates him too based on his side line mannerisms.  Get this asshole out of the 40 acres.  

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

just reading through the thread, people mentioned Urban's "pixie dust" comment about Herman a few years back.  I am convinced he had a coke and drinking problem at isu, tosu, and at houston.  Meyer is a guy that seems to always have his former coaches backs and does his best to get them to progress in their careers.  Except for Tom Herman.  He fucking hates him.  I get it now.  

Also, we need more info about the DWI rumor.  I want this guy fucked out of his buyout.  If there is anything to void his buyout, I'm all for it.  Herman is a complete arrogant narcissist and it's quite an accomplishment to not have a single fucking person be in your corner.  The alums want him out, the AD wants him out, the former president hated him, the new president doesn't care for him, his players don't give a fuck about him, his former colleagues hate him, and I believe the rumors that Sam hates him too based on his side line mannerisms.  Get this asshole out of the 40 acres.  

You've got anger issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

You've got anger issues.

furk

FCB...so fucking late on this shit. What a joke

Spoiler

Good Morning Horns247!!

— It will be business as usual on Monday.

Tom Herman will hold his press conference as the head coach of the Texas Longhorns.

Whatever's happening behind the scenes, will remain behind the scenes - for now. It sounds like Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte has told Herman they'll talk at the end of the season - or after the Kansas State game - or at some point later than right now.

You don't let go of a guy and his staff with a $25 million buyout price tag - unless or until you have the next guy.

Fans ready to move on from Herman want change before signing day on Dec. 16.

Urban Meyer is working as an analyst with the Big Noon Kickoff Show until Dec. 19. Other head-coaching candidates will be finishing their current regular seasons into the month of December. 

These situations aren't easy and patience is hard to come by.

Stay tuned.

— Looking back, here are five decisions Tom Herman probably wishes he would've made:

1. Hire more big-time Power Five experience on his initial coaching staff.

2. Let go of offensive coordinator Tim Beck after Year 1, when Herman knew Beck wasn't comfortable calling Herman's offense.

3. Don't wait until after Year 3 to cut loose 70 percent of your coaching staff.

4. Have your team standing together for the Eyes of Texas from Game 1 on in 2020.

5. While holding a lead you've held all game, go basic on fourth down against Iowa State: Punt instead of fake punt in the third quarter, and kick the 30-yard field goal to go up by seven midway through the fourth quarter.

— Oh, in case you missed it, Texas (5-3, 4-3 Big 12) and Kansas State (4-5, 4-4) are scheduled to kick off at 11 am Saturday in Manhattan.

The bad news for Texas: The Longhorns have won only once in their last six trips to Manhattan (with the one win coming in a 19-14 triumph in 2018 under Tom Herman).

The good news for Texas: After starting the season 4-0, K-State has lost four in a row with the latest coming in dramatic fashion at Baylor on Saturday as Bears' quarterback Charlie Brewer gave BU fans one to remember.

Brewer completed 31 of 39 passes for 349 yards and two touchdowns while running for 56 yards and two scores (even with 23 yards of sack yardage deducted from his run total). He had a 1-yard TD keeper with 4:16 left that cut K-State's lead to 31-29. Then, after KSU went three-and-out, Brewer completed four passes in a row for 45 yards on the final drive to John Mayers' game-winning, 30-yard field goal as time expired.

Will Howard was at quarterback for K-State, completing 9 of 18 passes for 88 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. The first interception was returned to the K-State 9 and  led to Baylor's first TD of the game. Howard ran the ball nine times for 41 yards (4.6 yards per carry) and one touchdown.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

what if tom herman just threw that last game so he could fasttrack his way to his 10m buyout so he could be sitting at the beach with kendra scott earning 20%

At this point, it doesn't matter what Herman really wants for this team or his future. Last Friday, he looked and called plays like he wasn't committed 1000% to winning - to doing whatever it took to get to the Big 12 conf. Championship. CDC simply cannot ignore having a coach or a program that gives off that vibe. CDC absolutely has to act. If he doesn't, his job will definitely be on the line. He could be fired by the end of the month. So, Herman is history. The only question at this point is how much will it take to get Meyer in here.

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Nice. Need more of that. Where does McRaven rank as best alive alums? Has to be near the top.

Not as popular as once was due to bungling the Real Estate deal in H-Town.  Fucked Up politically

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Missteps-on-Houston-land-plan-cost-McRaven-11092204.php

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

what if tom herman just threw that last game so he could fasttrack his way to his 10m buyout so he could be sitting at the beach with kendra scott earning 20%

Why are you assuming it's Kendra Scott? Maybe he's fooling around with the corpse of James Avery? 

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

That may be technically true because I'm sure Herman will need to be let go first before any formal offer can be made.

ya I am sure thats it. Honestly between this and his update yesterday it sounds like he is acting as CDCs mouth piece

17 days until early signing day . Letting Tommy hang around another week until there are seven days less of chances to get your new guy/plan out in front of these kids isn't optimal. 7 more days of thinking the guy you don't want to play for might be coming back to the school you wouldn't mind going to if he wasn't here. They just don't have Urban locked up. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I just find it interesting that after weeks of basically nothing, CDC wants to start sending messages now. 

Everybody knows he is gone.  Previously there was no reason to send out any messages. Now the cracks are appearing in the silence and probably some BMDs are waging their tongues to people they shouldn't so he is doing what an AD does.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Everybody knows he is gone.  Previously there was no reason to send out any messages. Now the cracks are appearing in the silence and probably some BMDs are waging their tongues to people they shouldn't so he is doing what an AD does.

There have been Urban Meyer rumors for over a month. Rumors of donors having the money and on the same page for a month or more. Rumors of "one more loss and Tom's out" for over a month. CDC basically hanging herman out in the wind for over a month. We've been here. The only thing that has obviously changed is that Tom finally did lose a game. Why now, and not then? It'd be different if the season were technically over.  

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

There have been Urban Meyer rumors for over a month. Rumors of donors having the money and on the same page for a month or more. Rumors of "one more loss and Tom's out" for over a month. We're here. The only thing that seems to have changed is that Tom lost to Iowa Steak. Why now vs. then? It'd be different if the season were technically over.  

My best guess is CDC is a) trying to reduce the buyout or b)as Chip said, you're not gonna fire the guy w/o a replacement.  

My patience is wearing thin though.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

My best guess is CDC is a) trying to reduce the buyout or b)as Chip said, you're not gonna fire the guy w/o a replacement.  

My patience is wearing thin though.

I would think, that if I am CDC, it looks good that $12M per has been reported. It looks like I've worked with the BMD's and we're unified. It's up to Urban now. I'm not sure why he'd shoot that down. 

EDIT: I could see the buyout angle. But I don't see why waiting until now to start speaking through CFB.

Edited by UncleBuck

30 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

At this point, it doesn't matter what Herman really wants for this team or his future. Last Friday, he looked and called plays like he wasn't committed 1000% to winning - to doing whatever it took to get to the Big 12 conf. Championship. CDC simply cannot ignore having a coach or a program that gives off that vibe. CDC absolutely has to act. If he doesn't, his job will definitely be on the line. He could be fired by the end of the month. So, Herman is history. The only question at this point is how much will it take to get Meyer in here.

This is a bad take and you should feel bad.

I would think, that if I am CDC, it looks good that $12M per has been reported. It looks like I've worked with the BMD's and we're unified. It's up to Urban now. I'm not sure why he'd shoot that down. 

Lots of reasons Urban Meyer might not want to come here (or go anwyhere, even). He doesn't need the money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would think, that if I am CDC, it looks good that $12M per has been reported. It looks like I've worked with the BMD's and we're unified. It's up to Urban now. I'm not sure why he'd shoot that down. 

It also alerts the other big names IT mentioned this morning to strongly consider jumping to Texas. As unlikely as Dabo is he'd get a 4 million dollar raise and he's losing Lawrence after this year so might as well try if you are UT. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Lots of reasons Urban Meyer might not want to come here (or go anwyhere, even). He doesn't need the money. 

I'm not talking about Urban Meyer. I'm talking about CDC. That's A.

B. As we've gone over time and time again, the only thing better than money (probably around $4M right now) is MORE money ($12M). His last big payday. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas