Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Nothing makes you feel better about your football program than having the head coach tell the press that the AD will call recruits to let them know he is keeping his job.  What a shitshow.  Recruits gotta be calling in their flips and decommitments now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I mean, what else is he going to say? He's not gonna come right out and say anything contrary like "yeah, Chris told me I'm out at the end of the season. He has no confidence in me." He's such an arrogant prick he's gonna act like he's resurrected this program from the ashes and we're on the right track (even though in reality he's been here 4 years and we're hardly much closer to national prominence than we were in 2017).

34 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Or writing “G_d”

eh, some traditions believe even the name of God is sacrosanct and not for mortals to spell out. I get that, it's reverence.  that's not what those other things are.  disclaimer - I'm not a religious person at all. 

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

What has become apparent is that the skillset to win at a place like Iowa State is not the same skillset needed to win at Texas.  Evaluating and coaching up lightly recruited players is so, so different than managing a team of kids who have been treated like football gods their entire lives.  Campbell MAY have both skillsets, but these "look what he's doing in Ames, imagine what he'd do in Austin!!!!" takes are meaningless.

Talking about Campbell's record at ISU is about risk. Nothing is guaranteed, but all things considered, more information is better than less. UM is as close to a sure thing as a coach can be. He can absolutely win a championship here. It would be an anomaly if he didn't at least make the playoff. That's not true of any the other candidates. For them, we have to make a decision based on the information available. Campbell now has 10 years of experience, which makes him a relatively known quantity compared to Fickell or Napier or others with limited experience at a lower tier. Compare that to what we knew about Strong and Herman when they were hired. Campbell has shown he can jump a level and still win (from Toledo to ISU) and that he can win without a stud QB, a senior laden team, etc. He's doing the ISU equivalent of reloading. That doesn't seem all that impressive in terms of wins and losses, but compare that to Saban at MSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, troph said:

eh, some traditions believe even the name of God is sacrosanct and not for mortals to spell out. I get that, it's reverence.  that's not what those other things are.  disclaimer - I'm not a religious person at all. 

God is not gods name. It's pseudo-religious virtue signalling just like typing bleep. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Meyer is in play until he makes a public thanks, but not thanks statement.  In the meantime, some of you lose your shit over the strangest things.  I don't know why it still surprises me after all these years.

God help us but Ketch made a decent point - by not firing Herman today you give Meyer the week to make his decision and you don't have a situation where Urban is on the Fox set having to answer questions about an open Texas job.  Much easier to decline to answer if the Texas job isn't open yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

God help us but Ketch made a decent point - by not firing Herman today you give Meyer the week to make his decision and you don't have a situation where Urban is on the Fox set having to answer questions about an open Texas job.  Much easier to decline to answer if the Texas job isn't open yet.

That's actually a good point.  We don't want two buyouts, one from Fox and one for Sperman

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Unless Herman asks CDC to call a recruit in the next 36 hours, this means nothing. Herman is gone, fairly imminently, and CDC would delay calling recruits until he informs Herman of the real news.  Which he may already have done. It was a curious comment, but it came from Herman, and I put no stock into it. 

"Son, if Herman gets run over by a train tomorrow and can never coach again in his life, I personally promise Texas will deliver the best coach money can buy within the week."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

- Urban isn't coming

- Herman will unfortunately be the HC next year due to money

- This fanbase needs to quit getting ahead of itself and stop cheerleading based off Twitter posts

Deal with it. 

It is media articles, not twitter posts. What is the fanbase supposed to depend on? Whatever you say?

In any case I have no clue is Urban is the next guy. I just know Herman needs to go. If somebody thinks another terrible decade is what is going to make the most money, since you seem to think that is a brilliant business decision, then by all means keep him around. He knows his is gone, he has checked out, so the whole program suffers every day he remains.

In any case I have delt with the past decade as well as being a fan of some of the worst pro teams in the United States so I will have no problem dealing with whatever. 

Edited by Valmy77

13 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

- Urban isn't coming

- This fanbase needs to quit getting ahead of itself and stop cheerleading based off Twitter posts

Deal with it. 

user name checks out.

How in the hell did that conversation go?

Phone rings:

CDC: Hello

TH: Hey Chris, just wanted to run a few things by you.

CDC: Who is this?

TH: Hey Chris, come on man, it’s me.

CDC: No hablo con putos

TH: Come on Chris, please cut me some slack,  press conferences are hard, recruiting is hard, keeping these little bastards hydrated is hard.Can you just throw me a bone, and let them know we’re still tight.

CDC: ”Click”

phone goes silent....

TH: Chris....Mr. DelConte... Sir, you there?

38 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Unless Herman asks CDC to call a recruit in the next 36 hours, this means nothing. Herman is gone, fairly imminently, and CDC would delay calling recruits until he informs Herman of the real news.  Which he may already have done. It was a curious comment, but it came from Herman, and I put no stock into it. 

"Hey Chris, Have you called that Myslinski kid in Jacksonville yet?"

"uh yea Tom, something came up.  Get to it in a second."

19 minutes ago, INeedInfoRightNow said:

- Urban isn't coming

Deal with it. 

No one here give a single fuck about what you think is going to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

FUCK YOU TOM HERMAN !!!

• TEXAS Record:   30 wins   18 losses
  • 27 one score games in Herman's 4yrs at TEXAS.
  • Record 14 wins   13 losses
  • 27 one score games out of 48 -- That's Over 56%

FUCK YOU TOM HERMAN !!!

Has it only been 56%? It seems like it is 90%.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What was that Herman said about if there were more opt-outs they would have already happened?  IT is reporting that Caden Sterns is opting out for the rest of the season.  No idea if its for the draft or if he plans to come back next season.  Wonder if it depends on who is the coach.

The draft?  Wax guy laughing uncontrollably dot gif. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas