Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Very few. It’s a team game. Who has been his coach his entire tenure?

See above. I don’t think he’s the “greatest”, but if we’re assigning culpability to our 4-loss average, Tom deserves a much greater share. Much greater.

I think Sam has largely been wasted. He’s a good albeit limited college QB and his coach puts him in too many situations where he’s gotta be a hero. He’s not VY or Colt. But he could have been a whole hell of a lot better than what our idiot coach made of him. 

Could you conclude that if Sam hits more consistent deep balls instead of overthrowing/underthrowing them to wide open players we could have had considerably different results?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I would like Sam to go. He's has his time, done a decent job, it is time for him to make a try at the NFL or go into commercial real estate.

Let's start a new chapter in Texas Football.

I mean we could just do that with the next coach in 2022 right?

2 hours ago, B00M said:

And if it was Tom & Thompson? Pick the 6 losses? Sam raises Texas' floor. Now that Ash's D looks solid, just get the OL playing competently (fire Hand) and even shitty Tom can win the B12 with 5th year Sam

You shouldn't be surprised. There's a cabal of posters here who think Sam leaving/getting benched will magically fix our offensive woes.

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Could you conclude that if Sam hits more consistent deep balls instead of overthrowing/underthrowing them to wide open players we could have had considerably different results?

case in point

59 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No. Sam could have been more accurate but "considerably different results" isn't correct. He had to deal with a weak head coach plus marginal players and had to win a bunch of games without their help. He's one of the only reasons we had any success at all. He will be missed, unless we are fortunate enough to get a head coach who is worth a damn.

Star-Remover.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Haha 5

On 12/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

How many QB’s do you think could take 4 years under herman and have good touch on their deep ball year 4? I’d like to know who your candidates are lol. I’m sure it’s super easy to find timing when Epps and brewer are out wide then randomly we run josh Moore or Eagles deep a few times just to fuck around. Oh our overall offensive philosophy probably helps a ton too, if being a battering ram for most of your career somehow helps out your touch then maybe we should start our games off in the triple option like Nebraska in the 90’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

He didn’t have touch on his deep ball as a freshman either.

Fair enough I reckon. Should he have needed to start that many games as a true freshman with buechele already here and capable? Shane threw for 3900 yards and 34 td’s at smu lol. If Riley or Leach coached Sam don’t you think he’d be better or can accuracy not be coached at all? 

23 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm going to create a badge of shame for all the Sam haters when coach UM comes to Texas and Sam leads the Longhorns to a national championship in the hardest 8 team playoff ever played. 

Fair, but have some integrity and create one for when that doesn’t happen

1 hour ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Be realistic and answer these three questions if Sam comes back next year:

1. What is the ceiling ?
2. What is the floor?
3. Is it really worth it?

1. B12 championship and maybe losing in playoff game

2. 4 losses

3. Depends on the mostly unknown realized talent level of Thompson. If Card wins the job, Thompson transfers, and we're an injury to a small framed QB away from the wheels falling off.

Edited by B00M

On 12/23/2020 at 8:43 AM, DanTheHorn said:

It is called coaching, Buechele had a perfect deep ball out of high school and he had it coached out of him here at Texas and regained it back at SMU.

I don’t think you coach busted ribs and a jacked up throwing hand back into shape. Shane healed.  And then he balled. 

• Like 1

Biggest indication that a coaching change is in the works is the Sam news. He doesn't wanna play for Herman anymore.
Yet a number of his Texas Cowboys brethren do want to return and play. Wait maybe they know what's coming.

These seniors did get to play but it was a screwy situation. I'm not sure you can fault any wanting to return. For Sam specifically, there are some who don't think he has an NFL future. If he doesn't, why wouldn't he return?

I don’t think you coach busted ribs and a jacked up throwing hand back into shape. Shane healed.  And then he balled. 

Came to say this. When Shane got hurt, he really had issues throwing with any touch. That’s understandable for any qb that was capable before.

I’m pretty sure that Leach is on record as saying the way to improve accuracy is to recruit better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

to the Sam haters
outside of Colt and Vince, who are better quarterbacks that have started for Texas?

What’s your criteria? Being a battering ram? Sams great at that. Throwing the ball properly and accurately all over the field? He’s probably worse than Case was at that. I mean, he’s head and shoulders above Swoops and Heard overall.

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

What’s your criteria? Being a battering ram? Sams great at that. Throwing the ball properly and accurately all over the field? He’s probably worse than Case was at that. I mean, he’s head and shoulders above Swoops and Heard overall.

just name a quarterback and we can discuss it.  I'll put up his statistics against anyone not named Colt or Vince.

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Case had a career sub-60% accuracy. Sam surpassed that mark as a sophomore, as a junior, and as a senior. You're grasping at straws.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Case had a career sub-60% accuracy. Sam surpassed that mark as a sophomore, as a junior, and as a senior. You're grasping at straws.

Ehlinger has fewer career interceptions, 27, than Applewhite, 28, and Opie had 400 fewer pass attempts

he's obviously not hurting the team with turnovers

he has a ridiculous number of touchdowns

when this team goes 4 or 5 wide, they excel because they have a great quarterback

when they go conservative and bunch things up and try to bludgeon the other team, they bog down; this is not an indictment of your record setting quarterback, it is a fucking indictment of the coach

by and large, when this team loses, they lose by one score

why the fuck are you blaming the record setting quarterback?

he's not accurate enough for you?  Who was more accurate besides Colt and David Ash (in 800 fewer attempts)?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Be realistic and answer these three questions if Sam comes back next year:

1. What is the ceiling ?
2. What is the floor?
3. Is it really worth it?

The schedule next year is soft. Texas will have a distinct talent advantage over 11 of 12 opponents. As poorly coached as Texas was at times this year, they could've (one could argue should've) won every game. Yes I know they could've lost more too but we're talking ceiling. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that Texas goes 12-1 with a conference title and makes the playoff. Likely? Fuck no, but that's the ceiling. Floor probably looks like 2019. Now, for what it's worth, I'd probably say that with Thompson or Card starting too. I'm not sure Sam definitively elevates this team.

Worth it? Depends on what the "cost" is. If you assume Thompson starts next year otherwise you might assume he leaves. If you assume Card starts next year, Thompson probably leaves anyway, right? So what is the cost there?

50 minutes ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

just name a quarterback and we can discuss it.  I'll put up his statistics against anyone not named Colt or Vince.

The game is just way too different these days to compare a current QB to one before the real evolution of spread offenses. Sam's got a higher completion percentage than VY, similar YPA, and fewer INTs on more than double the attempts. Who's the better QB?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The schedule next year is soft. Texas will have a distinct talent advantage over 11 of 12 opponents. As poorly coached as Texas was at times this year, they could've (one could argue should've) won every game. Yes I know they could've lost more too but we're talking ceiling. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that Texas goes 12-1 with a conference title and makes the playoff. Likely? Fuck no, but that's the ceiling. Floor probably looks like 2019. Now, for what it's worth, I'd probably say that with Thompson or Card starting too. I'm not sure Sam definitively elevates this team.

Worth it? Depends on what the "cost" is. If you assume Thompson starts next year otherwise you might assume he leaves. If you assume Card starts next year, Thompson probably leaves anyway, right? So what is the cost there?

The game is just way too different these days to compare a current QB to one before the real evolution of spread offenses. Sam's got a higher completion percentage than VY, similar YPA, and fewer INTs on more than double the attempts. Who's the better QB?

we are in agreement on who is a better quarterback between Vince and Sam

name all the Texas quarterbacks that would have had more success with Tom Herman than Sam has (again not Colt and Vince)

it seems the detractors are assigning losses to the quarterback and I'm assigning them to Tom Herman

VY was not better because he was a better passer. Interestingly enough, many here consider him the greatest ever college QB. He too was flawed as all players are. Often careless with the ball and didn't always bring the intensity out of the gate. And it wouldn't be difficult to find a number of better passers throughout college history. Now, he played to the end with great confidence and he could eat up yards on the ground effortlessly. Those two attributes were his unique traits.

19 minutes ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

we are in agreement on who is a better quarterback between Vince and Sam

name all the Texas quarterbacks that would have had more success with Tom Herman than Sam has (again not Colt and Vince)

it seems the detractors are assigning losses to the quarterback and I'm assigning them to Tom Herman

This is why this argument is pointless. All credit to Sam and all blame to Herman. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

If this board was around when Simms was fucking that pooch, he would have gotten crucified.

Simms gets a huge pass for his subpar performances in the spotlight.

Forget the Big 12 disaster against Colorado. In three career games against blOU, he threw and ran for a combined two touchdowns and eight interceptions. Compare that to Sam, who's thrown and ran for a combined 19 touchdowns against just three INTs in five career games vs. blOU. And Sam never had a first-round draft pick like Roy Williams to throw the ball to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know Sam may not be the #1 QB in Texas history, but he’s still the shit!  He’s a Longhorn super fan that happened to have the physical tools and the balls to get out there and try to win big for us.  I’m pretty sure nobody wanted Texas to be successful the last 4 years more than he did.  He had shitty coaching and wasn’t VY level, but I love the guy for giving us his all.  I wish him nothing but the best going forward,

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1