Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is the best offensive line we’ve had in this decade. Sam holds the ball to long and doesn’t know how to hit check downs 

Laughable post. The O-line took a huge drop from last year. Only in the last few games has it trended upwards. Hand is a terrible coach no matter how you spin it.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:54 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Aside from two games(I'm not even going to include UTEP) Sam was not pressured that much or often.

vs Tech - Arguably his best game of the year

27/40 - 68% completion - 5 TDs - 1 INT

1 hurry - 2 sacks - 8 pass deflected

vs TCU 

17/36 - 47% completion - 4 TDs - 1 INT

2 hurries - 0 sacks - 5 pass deflected

vs ousux

30/53 - 56% completion - 2 TDs - 2 INTs

7 hurries - 6 sacks - 4 pass deflected

vs Baylor

15/23 - 65% completion - 1 TD - 1 INT

0 hurries - 2 sacks - 3 passes deflected

vs OkSt

18/34 - 52% completion - 3 TD

5 hurries - 6 sacks - 5 pass deflected

vs WVU

15/31 - 48% completion - 2 TD

0 hurries - 1 sack - 7 pass deflected

Outside of ousux and okSt he's only been sacked 5 times and hurried 3 times. 

ousux vs okstate combined for 12 sacks and 12 hurries

Sam has just been bad when it comes to accuracy as he's always been. The only difference this year is what @4th&Five alluded to. He doesn't have a Collin Johnson, Lil'Jordan, or Duverney to bail him out as he has had. That still doesn't excuse him missing wide open targets deep and throwing low or behind receivers in the intermediate throws. He's just been bad this year for the most part with regards to hitting targets and accuracy.

Add in today’s game 

7 sacks - 3 hurries vs all opponents except UTEP, osusux, okie st. 

but yeah you’re right sam is doing bad because the line and not his own issues of holding onto the football entirely too long, not knowing how to get to 3rd/4th progressions, not hitting check downs, self sacking, and etc. 

1 catch by Wiley, 2 by Brewer. 16 Rushes by Bijan (10 in the first half) and then 15 by Sam.

Sam is an above average QB here, put in the wrong spot, with stupid ass play calling. He was hitting Eagles just fine, so we went away from that. 4 and 1 ft, and we run it from the shotgun. Moronic. Absolutely moronic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

our speed is the second biggest problem next to OL...herman fixed neither.  fire him.

Our speed is fine. Eagles, Smith, Whittington, Washington, and Moore all have plenty of speed. The problem is they keep taking those guys off the field for Kai Money and Brewer. It's hilarious that there were no plays with Whittngton and Smith on the field at the same time. It's also easy to defend our passing game because we apparently only have 3-4 or route combos, and do you really have to worry about the deep pass with Sam. Fuck no.

The other problem is that those WRs have been so poorly coached between the 3 WR coaches Herman has had in his program, that none have gotten better at route adjustments and cuts to help create separation. It also appears that despite the reports that the WRs could cross train, they did not.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Our speed is fine. Eagles, Smith, Whittington, Washington, and Moore all have plenty of speed. The problem is they keep taking those guys off the field for Kai Money and Brewer. It's hilarious that there were no plays with Whittngton and Smith on the field at the same time. It's also easy to defend our passing game because we apparently only have 3-4 or route combos, and do you really have to worry about the deep pass with Sam. Fuck no.

The other problem is that those WRs have been so poorly coached between the 3 WR coaches Herman has had in his program, that none have gotten better at route adjustments and cuts to help create separation. It also appears that despite the reports that the WRs could cross train, they did not.

The smith and Whittington thing really frustrates me. At the beginning of the year I was so excited to get both of them on the field with Josh Moore to leverage defenses. I know they were injured, but today was gonna be the day. And instead we see fucking brewer, schooler, Black and money out there. 

the WR rotation has been absolute fucking garbage since Herman’s first game and I didn’t understand it then and I certainly don’t understand it now. You should have the best players on the field as often as possible. It really doesn’t make sense not to.

and when it comes to combos, they are garbage. Where are shallow drags, mesh routes and whatever else to get those athletes in space???????????? Instead here’s a WR screen...do something. Or here’s a 5 yard out make a play. Or just go deep and we’ll throw it up there.  It’s one of the most vanilla playbooks out there and the other issue is route running sucks ass. Oh well, it’s basically a 1 read offense and if it isn’t there just scramble drill or take a sack. 

8 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The smith and Whittington thing really frustrates me. At the beginning of the year I was so excited to get both of them on the field with Josh Moore to leverage defenses. I know they were injured, but today was gonna be the day. And instead we see fucking brewer, schooler, Black and money out there. 

the WR rotation has been absolute fucking garbage since Herman’s first game and I didn’t understand it then and I certainly don’t understand it now. You should have the best players on the field as often as possible. It really doesn’t make sense not to.

and when it comes to combos, they are garbage. Where are shallow drags, mesh routes and whatever else to get those athletes in space???????????? Instead here’s a WR screen...do something. Or here’s a 5 yard out make a play. Or just go deep and we’ll throw it up there.  It’s one of the most vanilla playbooks out there and the other issue is route running sucks ass. Oh well, it’s basically a 1 read offense and if it isn’t there just scramble drill or take a sack. 

I long for the days when Cosby and Shipley played 95% of the important snaps if they were healthy. While both holding down the primary kick and punt return duties. Though I have no problem with Jamison back there as he is probably the fastest player on the team.

Shit our WR schemes are so fucking vanilla Jamison was a minus his one year spent at the H.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

our speed is fine to win 8-9 games.  

It truly appears the Sugar Bowl was a huge outlier.

On 12/9/2020 at 5:08 PM, Eggo said:

Just watched this and bawled my eyes out AGAIN. I'm never gonna forget this kid's contributions here.

Son of a bitch that made me cry too. Urban was right, he’s a warrior. He was the hero we didn’t know we needed. His toughness will be hard to replace. Hook em Sam. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Son of a bitch that made me cry too. Urban was right, he’s a warrior. He was the hero we didn’t know we needed. His toughness will be hard to replace. Hook em Sam. 

I’ll never forget him running right at OU/Georgia defenses like they were nothing. Sam is a Longhorn badass.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Great.  Tom and Sam back together.  Pick out the 4 losses now!

And if it was Tom & Thompson? Pick the 6 losses? Sam raises Texas' floor. Now that Ash's D looks solid, just get the OL playing competently (fire Hand) and even shitty Tom can win the B12 with 5th year Sam

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, B00M said:

And if it was Tom & Thompson? Pick the 6 losses? Sam raises Texas' floor. Now that Ash's D looks solid, just get the OL playing competently (fire Hand) and even shitty Tom can win the B12 with 5th year Sam

How the hell can folks still make a pitcher of Kool-aid that includes Herman in the mix? Wanted to neg but can't do it to folks in a poor state of mind.

gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

How the hell can folks still make a pitcher of Kool-aid that includes Herman in the mix? Wanted to neg but can't do it to folks in a poor state of mind.

"Can" doesn't mean "will". The Big 12 could be Texas + 11 G5 teams and Herman would still find a way to lose enough close games to not win the conference.