Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

28 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

Why was a drop back, slow progressing play called?

Sam has done what he can for the most part with the complete mismanagement of this team the last 4 years. This shit has been a problem from the top for all of Toms tenure. 

The O-line also failed to hold off a three-man rush (again).

You can avoid pressure and throw it away when it's coming off the edge (and Sam had no problem doing that today). You can't when it's busting up the middle of the line and you can't step into any throw.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You can avoid pressure and throw it away when it's coming off the edge (and Sam had no problem doing that today). You can't when it's busting up the middle of the line and you can't step into any throw.

Yes you can. Especially when there's a route right in front of you. Throw it at the ground near the receiver, QBs do it every week. 

It's not as easy or natural as throwing it out of bounds off a rollout but it's not that hard. When you go into a play where you know you can't take a sack it's actually pretty simple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He held the ball for 5 seconds.  That's not pressure up the middle right after the snap.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Well I have no idea what they were wanting to do anyway. They should have just run a QB lead draw, gotten some yards and called the timeout. But that wasn't the worst play calling of the day, and you can't tell me that Herman isn't fucking influencing the playcalling. He absolutely is. 

45 minutes ago, satyanash said:

2 sacks and 0 hurries. 

last sack was in Sam. 

you know why Sam was so inaccurate, it’s because he doesn’t step into all his throws. He’s inconsistent in doing so. Even when he had time. Look at some of those over/under throws. He’s throwing flat footed 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, CUM2TX said:

I hope Shane got a good laugh today. He was benched and transferred because he "took sacks."

Also because he doesn't run and Tom Herman's offense requires a QB who can run. Shane was never a fit for Herman's offense. Ehlinger had games where he rushed for more scores than Buechele did all of last year. 

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

no he wasn't.  i have never quite figured out longhorn internet's fascination with david ash.  he was completely average.  

and so was Sam. Ash had better athleticism and more arm talent than Sam. Both played for shitty coaching staffs.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Sad way for Sam to end his (likely) last game at DKR. Guy bailed us out so many times (almost including today) that it sucks to go out on that sack.

Anyone hating needs to go back and remember what our QB room looked like the previous 5+ years before Sam (since Colt)

No one is hating on Sam. He was a warrior and a leader, he was also an average QB for much of his time on the 40. There were a lot of games where he had to play hero ball at the end because he was so shitty over the course of the game that the offense was inconsistent and the team got behind.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

2 sacks and 0 hurries. 

last sack was in Sam. 

you know why Sam was so inaccurate, it’s because he doesn’t step into all his throws. He’s inconsistent in doing so. Even when he had time. Look at some of those over/under throws. He’s throwing flat footed 

That bomb he threw to Smith on the next to last drive on 2nd and 6 was off his back foot with no hope of being completed. His career was play after play of looking for the 40 yard bomb instead of the wide open 5 yard move the chains check down.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, millhouse said:

I hate that he had to lose his last home game (possibly) like that. Yeah he had his WTF moments but this dude loves the school and wants nothing more than to win for it. He got fucked by TH yet again today and it is bullshit.

You do realize that Sam contributes in his own fucking?

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

IMO, Sam is indecisive ... always looks for the perfect play rather than taking what’s there.

Well, in fairness, at times he is asked to follow a goofed up offensive scheme and playcalling.  At other times, he is asked to play hero ball.  And at other times, he takes it upon himself to play hero ball.

He's a guy that wants to trust his coaches and do what they ask.  He also has some native ability to just win or make plays.  So it has been a bit of a whipsaw for him, I think.

Also, for one year, our OL was decent, and it has been varying degrees of trash before and since.  So the time he has to decide has been a non-stop variable.  That one year, he probably developed some bad habits as far as deciding when to "stick with the plan" and when to ad lib.  

I think a more linear path to learning a better offense would have resulted in a more decisive and better Sam Ehlinger.  Instead it was year 1, run for your life, year 2, run the offense and make reads,  year 3, a strange mixture of both, year 4, run for your life and try to make plays you physically can't because of all the running for your life you have done, and your other limitations, that your coaches seem not to acknowledge.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Sam had all day to throw consistently throughout the game and he was his typically erratic/inaccurate self. his decision making with the ball in his hands has not improved since his freshman year. he stares down one guy, holds the ball forever, ignores a wide open RB in the flat, and then when he finally does tuck it and run after 5-6 seconds of a clean pocket, instead of running downhill he starts stutter stepping and acting like he really thinks he's about to juke the safety, costing himself and the team yardage. The O line today performed *markedly* better than Sam did. Blaming them for his struggles is that cult-like following i keep referencing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, millhouse said:

I hate that he had to lose his last home game (possibly) like that. Yeah he had his WTF moments but this dude loves the school and wants nothing more than to win for it. He got fucked by TH yet again today and it is bullshit.

Sam was garbage today. 

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

I got negged by Beepers on this thread for pointing out Sam’s deficiencies. I’d just like to point out I was right.

shit, do you remember two seasons ago when i was critical of him? you'd have thought i wished death upon Vince Young and then personally raped every football poster's entirely family...for being critical of Sam Ehlinger. if only the wolves came out en masse like that to eat crow when it turns out they were wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m no expert and have no access to All 22 but I can’t be the only person who thinks Sam isn’t seeing everything on the field. He always looks confused when he’s scanning the field and finding nobody and scrambles for a 3 yard gain up the middle. 

He can't find anybody because our WRs can't get any separation 75% of the time.  The furthest our WRs get away from defenders are when they are supposed to be blocking someone.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Sam was garbage today. 

shit, do you remember two seasons ago when i was critical of him? you'd have thought i wished death upon Vince Young and then personally raped every football poster's entirely family...for being critical of Sam Ehlinger. if only the wolves came out en masse like that to eat crow when it turns out they were wrong. 

It’s a weird cult.

Sam is above average. thats about it.  he's not getting drafted.

Our issue, for 10 fucking years, continues to be the OL.  it was never fixed after Mack trashed it(McCoy and Shipley hid a ton of ills).  You have shitty OL play you get extremely average O.

who knew when Eagles got tackled at the 4 that we were kicking a FG?  Anyone with half a brain.  you don't need a stud QB to fucking drive the ball in against a marginal opponent from the 4 unless......your OL is shit.

Sam needs to go.  we need more athleticism and a better arm at the QB position because our OL sucks shit through a straw and our Head Coach is a dipshit.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I was right there with you saying these receivers are making Great catches, most of everything he throws downfield is always off but they are diving and coming back ect.   Always caught shit.  

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

He can't find anybody because our WRs can't get any separation 75% of the time.  The furthest our WRs get away from defenders are when they are supposed to be blocking someone.

our speed is the second biggest problem next to OL...herman fixed neither.  fire him.

12 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I was right there with you saying these receivers are making Great catches, most of everything he throws downfield is always off but they are diving and coming back ect.   Always caught shit.  

boy does he miss Duvernay and Collin Johnson. for all of the talk about our coaches and linemen make Sam look bad, those two guys sure as hell made him look better than he actually was. 

what killed me the most today, and this is both atrocious coaching and an indictment on Sam's football IQ, is that ISU played their DBs 10 yards off the line the entire day and we never adjusted! it was absolutely insane. even on the final drive when we needed quick hitting plays to gain yards, we'd have Eagles out wide with nobody within 10 yards of him and we never ever ever even once just snapped the ball and threw it to him. same drive we have Cade Brewer totally uncovered in the slot, and what did we do? we kept running fucking deep routes! how, as a fourth year QB (Sam) and as a supposedly offensive minded HC (Tom) do we NEVER take advantage of that?!?! the ISU coaches must have been laughing their asses off. it was so painful to watch from the stands. just terrible all around. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is the best offensive line we’ve had in this decade. Sam holds the ball to long and doesn’t know how to hit check downs 

sure on Sam and the comment on this being the best OL we've had in this decade is exactly why it is the number 1 problem.  they suck.