Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Vaya con dios, Sam

ok, but what is Sam shooting for? To be the next ex-BYU running QB who ran over us all night, Taysom?  I mean Colt made a great living being an NFL backup, but he had a much, much higher ceiling.  Colt was offensive player of the year in college football.  Sam was 3rd or 4th round before the injury.  Now?  not so much, imo. 

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

ok, but what is Sam shooting for? To be the next ex-BYU running QB who ran over us all night, Taysom?  I mean Colt made a great living being an NFL backup, but he had a much, much higher ceiling.  Colt was offensive player of the year in college football.  Sam was 3rd or 4th round before the injury.  Now?  not so much, imo. 

Give it a shot because why not, see how it goes, then take his McCombs degree and make some money in the real world.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Sam was 3rd or 4th rounder after a few games this year and 5th or 7th after the regular season. It's his 2nd shoulder sprain in a few years. The 1st didn't affect his play, so I doubt this hurts him unless he can't work out for NFL teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

If he shaves half a second off his 40 time he might be Taysom. 

32 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

It would be awesome if he went into coaching if the NFL doesn't work out for him. 

Unless he's a just a backup QB in the NFL, it might be better for him to no longer play football.  That damn concussion where he hit his head on the sideline scared the hell out of me...

THANKS SAM -- GREAT LONGHORN !!! 🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, BurntOrange&White said:
Ehlinger suffered the injury on the team’s third offensive series but pushed through until halftime.Of note: Sam told Casey to get ready, midway in the 2Q.

Don't know if it was said already but they mentioned the exact play. At 7:30 in the 1st quarter, Sam ran QB power up the middle for a six-yard gain. You can see him rotating his right arm after the play in discomfort.

https://streamable.com/43xswj

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Don't know if it was said already but they mentioned the exact play. At 7:30 in the 1st quarter, Sam ran QB power up the middle for a six-yard gain. You can see him rotating his right arm after the play in discomfort.

I wish Herman would stop being a meat head and give up on the QB power game. You can’t put the most important player on the field at risk like that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Give it a shot because why not, see how it goes, then take his McCombs degree and make some money in the real world.

He wouldn't even have to use his degree if he didn't want to. He'll certainly never be just another entry level business grad. For one, he was made in a lab for LHN. For two, he'll have an opportunity to get into coaching if he is interested. Three, no shortage of buddies in the Westlake/Texas Exes circle willing to give him a cush "job" in finance or CRE or whatever. 

He's got a hell of a lot of options for a 22 year old.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

It was useful in doses in the red zone or an absolute have to have it short yardage situation. Calculated risk based on what Ehlinger brings to the table. But yeah, call it as often and predictably as he does, bad things happen. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I just saw this elsewhere and somehow missed it today. 

Great Longhorn that had an imperfect career. He gave about as much for us as anyone ever has that's put on the burnt orange. Couldn't ask for much more. Wish it had turned out better and I hope he finds a role somewhere at the next level. 

It might be a long-ass time before we see another QB play in 4 bowl/postseason wins for us. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 9:57 PM, shadow_operative said:

also, Sam should not be a finalist for an award that goes to the player "who most epitomizes being a student athlete of faith", because he does not epitomize what it means to be a person "of faith", ie being a judgmental, hypocritical, narrow minded person who thinks all muslims are terrorists yet thinks Joel Osteen was chosen by God Almighty to lead the masses. Sam is better than that.

You're going to strain your shoulder tilting at all those windmills.

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

oh wow, a top 10 QB at a school that's had maybe 4 or 5 notable QBs ever, wow. what a legend!!! irreplaceable!!!

Using your numbers (4-5 QBs over several decades of modern football), demonstrably very difficult to replace. 

come to think of it, i'm not sure Sam makes even makes the list of the best 50 UT football players since 2000. if he does he is definitely going to listed in the 40's, no higher. but yeah, he's a total fucking UT football legend. 🙄 

did he put up some good numbers? yes, he did. he played 4 years of QB at a school with very little QB/forward passing history in an era where QB numbers are wildly inflated compared to even just 10 years ago. of course he put up numbers. but as a football player, who is he better than? is he better than Cory Redding? what about Shaun Rogers? was he better than Justin Blaylock? David Thomas? shit, how many guys from the 2005 team alone were better than Sam? like 15-20? more? 

you people who incessantly STAN this kid like he's a two-time Heisman winner are a huge reason that so many of us are ready for the Sam Ehlinger era to be over. Easily- EASILY the most overrated player in UT history, and it's because of his cult-like following, which consists of a bunch of people who don't know dick about Texas football history. i could not be more ready for him and his followers to be gone. i really really like Sam Ehlinger and I wish him well, but i am beyond over this practice of wildly overhyping him as a player and "Texas football legend". 

• Fuck You 3

Sam may not be the best college quarterback ever... but he was a good QB and a real bad ass and as far as I know, a decent guy all around.

I hope he gets picked up by a good team with a great coaching staff who he can learn more from.  

And maybe get into coaching someday.  

8 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

I wish Herman would stop being a meat head and give up on the QB power game. You can’t put the most important player on the field at risk like that.

where do you think he learned that bs from?  GD that's who.  GD basically ended Colt's season two years, not one, with multiple stupid QB sneaks Against Kansas State one year and then the NC game against 'bama. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

come to think of it, i'm not sure Sam makes even makes the list of the best 50 UT football players since 2000. if he does he is definitely going to listed in the 40's, no higher. but yeah, he's a total fucking UT football legend. 🙄 

did he put up some good numbers? yes, he did. he played 4 years of QB at a school with very little QB/forward passing history in an era where QB numbers are wildly inflated compared to even just 10 years ago. of course he put up numbers. but as a football player, who is he better than? is he better than Cory Redding? what about Shaun Rogers? was he better than Justin Blaylock? David Thomas? shit, how many guys from the 2005 team alone were better than Sam? like 15-20? more? 

you people who incessantly STAN this kid like he's a two-time Heisman winner are a huge reason that so many of us are ready for the Sam Ehlinger era to be over. Easily- EASILY the most overrated player in UT history, and it's because of his cult-like following, which consists of a bunch of people who don't know dick about Texas football history. i could not be more ready for him and his followers to be gone. i really really like Sam Ehlinger and I wish him well, but i am beyond over this practice of wildly overhyping him as a player and "Texas football legend". 

You’re being awfully cunty.

Take a moment to reflect on the past 4 years, then take another moment to realize where the program would be had Sam gone elsewhere. We truly don’t deserve kids like him because we don’t appreciate them.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Lol. Statistically he was one of the best QBs we ever had. Time and time again, we’d be on the goal line or in 4th & short, and his idiot dumb fuckhead coach would call a QB power run play that everyone knew was coming. Sam would take the snap, lower his shoulder & barrel into contact until he got dragged down. Usually beyond wherever the goal to gain was. He could’ve made The Eyes thing a big deal & played himself up as a hero to the fan base, but he took the honest approach and said it was a wildly overblown misunderstanding. He always left it all on the field every game & he’s a Longhorn legend in my book. 

i'm willing to bet that 90% or more of the people who think that Sam Ehlinger is a UT football legend are under 35 years old. Sam Ehlinger is James Brown or Major Applewhite with better stats. That's all. 

edit: oh and he's not from Louisiana or Port Arthur, he's from Westlake, and he sang The Eyes as a kid; that's the other difference. 

Edited by shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Doesn’t sound like it. 

feel free to back that up with some quotes from me that support your argument any time. 

this is what happens when grown men get all caught up in their feelings over a kid who plays college football. a bunch of 20-something fans who don't know any try to claim that Sam Ehlinger is some UT football legend, and when you scoff at such a ridiculous take they act like you hate Sam Ehlinger. i love Sam; what i hate is the insane fellating and exalting of Sam by our fans. pretty simple difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

You’re being awfully cunty.

Take a moment to reflect on the past 4 years, then take another moment to realize where the program would be had Sam gone elsewhere. We truly don’t deserve kids like him because we don’t appreciate them.

cunty? god you guys are all in your feelings. "we don't deserve players like Sam!!" (lmao) "because we don't appreciate them." uh, have you read this thread? according to this thread Sam cured covid, beat the Russians to space, freed the slaves and then taught Tebow how to circumcise babies, all while Tom Herman and Sam's teammates tried to sabotage him at every turn.

get fucking real man 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

cunty? god you guys are all in your feelings. "we don't deserve players like Sam!!" (lmao) "because we don't appreciate them." uh, have you read this thread? according to this thread Sam cured covid, beat the Russians to space, freed the slaves and then taught Tebow how to circumcise babies, all while Tom Herman and Sam's teammates tried to sabotage him at every turn.

get fucking real man 

You ever stop to think that your hate for the dude is a little irrational? No? Of course not. 

Sam is an above average Texas QB that’s had some memorable games/plays on some bad teams. Is Case a Texas legend for beating OU and aggy in the same year, or because he’s a noodle-armed shrimp of a dude who should have never been on scholarship here? Is Gardere a Texas legend because he was an otherworldly talent at QB or because he beat OU 4 times when Texas was mostly down? 

Anyway, the point is that the phrase “Texas legend” is probably hyperbolic when used in Sam’s context - just like it is with the two mentioned above. He’ll be remembered for exactly who he was here. No one is saying retire the dude’s jersey. Relax. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

I just saw this elsewhere and somehow missed it today. 

Great Longhorn that had an imperfect career. He gave about as much for us as anyone ever has that's put on the burnt orange. Couldn't ask for much more. Wish it had turned out better and I hope he finds a role somewhere at the next level. 

It might be a long-ass time before we see another QB play in 4 bowl/postseason wins for us. 

Casey Thompson still has 3 years of eligibility. We're fine there. 

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

get fucking real man 

just imagine this fucking moron mocking other posters for being hyperbolic

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine that the Sam thread derka'd 

fucking hilarious. do you really want me to bring up what happened when this thread was first started? i originally started the Sam Ehlinger thread and you deleted it literally 5 or 6 times because you were all pissy that i was the one who started it. everyone kept asking why the thread was being deleted over and over, and it was all because of your insane obsession with me. and you want to talk about this thread being derka'd. hilarious.

i haven't said anything here that hasn't been said by countless other people. Sam Ehlinger is not a Texas football legend. There's nothing besides his birthplace that separates him from Major Applewhite or James Brown. My refuting the idea that he's some legendary player/going against the surly circle jerk does not = "omfg derka'd!!!". not even close. one time back on shaggy some guy started a thread about his sobriety and i told him that i hoped he started drinking again and slowly died of alcoholism. That is what "derka'd" means. me not slurping Sam Ehlinger does not equal "derka'd", and you guys whining about it without posting a single substantive refutation is par for the course on your site immamac. rampant groupthink, very little substance, and banning people who disagree with you/hurt your feelings. if you disagree with something that i've said then quote it and refute it. otherwise quit crying that i don't have the same bombastic view of Sam Ehlinger as his zealots. 

lmao, look at the beginning of this thread:

B9C2BD7F-1445-4827-BE69-C039DE70B327.jpeg

• Fuck You 4