Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And that's fair.

You gotta admit.....that the fine folks of Dallas did NOT side with a cop over a pot smoking black man surprises you, at least a little bit, correct?

I was open minded, and encouraged by the Balch Springs verdict.

I felt like once Creuzot's office took over, everything would be according to Hoyle (not an Irish cop).

Hell, I wasn't sure they would convict either until the noises.  And even then.  But, I did have faith that they would do it according to the evidence and not according to prejudice (either in favor of the popo or against black men from the Caribbean who indulge in the ganj).

I haven't lost all my faith in my fellow citizens, although I wonder sometimes if the extreme of your loss of faith is the better view.  I will take this as a hopeful data point that it is not.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was open minded, and encouraged by the Balch Springs verdict.

I felt like once Creuzot's office took over, everything would be according to Hoyle (not an Irish cop).

Hell, I wasn't sure they would convict either until the noises.  And even then.  But, I did have faith that they would do it according to the evidence.

I admit, I didn't think that a Dallas jury would look past the evidentiary facts of 1) black man 2) smoking pot.  I thought those were insurmountably prejudicial.  I was wrong.  Happy to be wrong, but still wrong.

I admit, I didn't think that a Dallas jury would look past the evidentiary facts of 1) black man 2) smoking pot.  I thought those were insurmountably prejudicial.  I was wrong.  Happy to be wrong, but still wrong.
Jesus dude it's not like they were trying the case in Williamson County or something. Dallas County isn't NYC or anything but it's not Vidor either.
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Continental Op said:
6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesus dude it's not like they were trying the case in Williamson County or something. Dallas County isn't NYC or anything but it's not Vidor either.

Not all that long ago it did have a pretty bad record, led along a primrose path by people like Henry Wade that were willing to prey on the baser instincts.

3 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Not all that long ago it did have a pretty bad record, led along a primrose path by people like Henry Wade that were willing to prey on the baser instincts.

^^^^

This.

And forgive me if my faith in my fellow Texans doing the right thing is rather limited these days.

Is it customary for jurors to give their opinions after the case?  I am curious on how they reached their decision and if it was like me that hearing noises prior to entering is what turned the case.  Had the fact pattern been showing up at the wrong door and opening, and then seeing a possible intruder I wonder what their stance would be.  Not guilty I suppose?  Seems the law dogs who posted in this thread were alluding to.

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And that's fair.

You gotta admit.....that the fine folks of Dallas did NOT side with a cop over a pot smoking black man surprises you, at least a little bit, correct?

On these facts.  No, not really.  

It's not Henry Wade's Dallas anymore.  The Dallas of my youth, when Henry Wade and Bill Hill were the DA?  There's no way she'd even be prosecuted.

But the Dallas of today?  A conviction on these facts surprises me not one bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And I don't think my assessment was wrong, until....

....the decision to enter AFTER she knew something was off.  That was the bombshell piece of evidence.  None of us knew about it, it was nowhere in the official narrative that was out there pre-trial.

And the point about numerous DPD officers acting improperly in trying to frame the case and the issues during the investigative stage stands as a pretty damned important one.  I suspect the evidence and testimony would have been MORE damning had her fellow officers not assisted with an attempted cover-up, given her a chance to get her story straight, etc.

But I was wrong about my predicted outcome, you bet.  I did NOT see the admission that she knew something was up before she went inside coming.

Horse shit. You didn't care what the evidence was, you were going with your "gut" regardless. Just admit it and move on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Horse shit. You didn't care what the evidence was, you were going with your "gut" regardless. Just admit it and move on.

And his gut feel was based on a long history in this country of police officers getting away with killing people fairly regularly.  

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

My gut was that the jury would do what many Texans do - go with their gut, damn the evidence.  A pot-smoking black man got shot by a cop.  In Texas, that's a tough hill to climb for a murder conviction.  Not because of the law, but because Texans.  Add to that the fact that I saw NO piece of evidence that looked powerful enough to overcome that inclination, yep, I called it like I saw it.

As for what my gut told me a jury would do with the pot-smoking black guy who got shot by a cop....forgive me if I don't think too highly of the fine white folk of North Texas.  Pay no mind to the fact that one of 'em just went through the effort to drive all the way to El Paso to murder some brown people.

My gut didn't get this verdict right.  But it also knew that it was just a matter of time before someone like many members of this jury pool went beaner-hunting.  On such matters, I'll still give my gut a strong vote.  Glad the evidence proved otherwise here.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You think?

That's an honest question--no sarcasm?  I'm honestly curious about what the reaction is and is going to be.

I can only offer anecdotal information but everyone in my circle sees it the same. I don’t know what will be made official. But I don’t want to live in a world where something like this is okay. 

• Like 1

I've stated my hypothesis that she gets 10 years on FB.  My black friends (and their black friends) do not agree and want much more time.

If the sentence is too light, the verdict means nothing...

the length matters just as much. He is gone FOREVER. She deserves to have her life forever changed, even if it was possibly a mistake. 10 years means nothing. She is young and will go back to life like without much consequences because she’s white and a woman. It needs to be longer

My response:

What we have in play is a difference in opinion re: the role of incarceration in our criminal justice system. If we want to go all Hammurabi's Code, eye for an eye, then she should get 99 years.

However, I don't think that letting someone unlikely to re-offend a violent crime rot in jail is a good use of our prisons or that life, regardless of the mistakes that person made. I'm a big advocate for rehabilitation, which for her would likely involve understanding why she made the decision to resort to violence when violence was not necessitated by the circumstances she found herself in and rehabilitating those violent tendencies.

She is guilty of her crime, but should not be unjustly punished for the crimes of her peers that avoided prosecution.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

^^^^

Thanks for sharing that, Constant.

And I do genuinely hope that almost all of your fellow officers feel similarly.

You will, of course, understand if some of us retain healthy skepticism.  That said, it heartens me to hear it from at least one.  So thank you for that, truly.

Seconded

• Like 1

As everyone agrees, the fact that turned the trial was when she said she heard someone inside before going in.   

Assuming she told her defense attorneys, what options did her defense attorney have?   Could they tell her to lie about that and help craft a better story?   Or is that not officially allowed and their only real option was to own it, or keep her off the stand?     

9 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yikes. 

i mean, i'm not sure i want johnny law going through all my texts and jokes with my friends, because it's so easy to take things out of context.

but jesus, lady. not a great look for a police officer.

don't worry we all know what you really mean when you call someone a crackity ass cracka honky ass phaggot

27 minutes ago, Constant said:

I can only offer anecdotal information but everyone in my circle sees it the same. I don’t know what will be made official. But I don’t want to live in a world where something like this is okay. 

Good on you.  Like McMasters in Tombstone.  Brothers to the bone?  

Not anymore.

Edited by LongestHorn

45 minutes ago, Constant said:

First off I’d like to say that I’m heartbroken for the Jean family. As a parent myself, I hope Mr. Jean’s father and mother find some peace in the outcome. They appear to be a wonderful family that raised an exceptional young man. 

I think in the time between the offense and the trial beginning I had given the defendant a benefit of doubt, for lack of a better term. I saw it as a tragic mistake, but I didn’t see it as a criminal offense. I knew a detail or two, but I was as unaware of most facts of the case as you all were. 

I think the first turn of the tide for me was seeing that first body camera video and the position of Mr. Jean’s body. In my head leading into the trial, I saw this incident occurring much closer to the front door. I expected him to be in that narrow corridor leading towards the entry area of the apartment. His actual position was quite shocking as he was no where near the front door. Regardless of whether he was seated when she made entry or not, I don’t understand how she perceived a threat. 

I can understand and almost see myself making the mistakes that led her to Mr. Jean’s door. I don’t live in an apartment, but there have been plenty of days where I pull into my driveway and don’t recall the actual drive itself. So all the easy, dumb signs she missed, I can understand. But every single action from her after that door opened were unreasonable and unjustifiable, in my opinion. There was no reason to enter if she believed there was an intruder prior to entering. She believed she was on the third floor. There is only one way for a suspect to escape as we do not live in a Hollywood world and he isn’t going to scale the side of the building. Pull back, call for help...be done. 

That aside, she goes inside still. She then makes the fatal mistake of shooting before probably any rational thought goes through her head. I don’t see how she perceived him a deadly threat(other than his mere presence) because she didn’t allow time to perceive anything at all. We all understand the significance of that mistake. 

Her selfishness after that fact also bothers me. She called for help as she should have but she abandoned all other responsibilities. Fucking focus and do what you can, however you can. It ultimately would not have changed the outcome but it did herself no favors essentially ignoring Mr. Jean while texting and talking on the phone. 

I’m glad she will be facing some consequences and I am in no minority there.

man, what a great post. thanks for your take.

3 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

1) That is very inefficient and inconvenient to make them robe/disrobe at the station.  Not really feasible or necessary for anything.

2) They did use her training in de-escalation, protocols, CPR, etc against her in this case as she failed to follow her training.

Most damning bits came out in her cross-examination.  She admitted to hearing noises coming from her apartment before she entered.  She admitted that she intended to kill him when she engaged him.  Those two things likely convicted her.

Regarding 1): Inefficient and inconvenient to change clothes after a shit? What a load of horseshit.

• Like 1