Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't believe it does.  There are two deadbolts above the door handle, but nothing (no key, no little nightlatch knob) on the door handle itself.

Video from the inside, showing the various locks.

In that video, the light switches are right there on the right hand side when you walk in.  If you walk into a dark apartment,  the first thing you do is turn the lights on.

So the idea that she walked in, thought there was a burglar, gave commands, and then shot somebody in the dark, all without turning on the fucking lights when the switch is right next to you at the door, is absolute horseshit.

Put me in her story is bs camp. The guy made too much noise for her liking. Possibly smelled cannabis either that night or previously. Why I asked about balconies. Either way if she’s at the door it’s possible to catch a whiff of the plant. Tired of his shenanigans bangs on his door bc the badge obv gives her the right confronts the man and murders him in cold blood. Riots if she walks.

12 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm not sure i understand you. in most hotels or other places with return doors opened by keycards or fobs, the door doesn't lock on the inside, and you can open the door without a key to exit, but no one can just waltz in from the outside without a key. in other words, the outer handle is always locked by default. i can't imagine this place being much different. i mean, i suppose it could be, but it seems unlikely.

also,

the room numbers aren't three feet away like you stated upthread:

500E749C00000578-0-image-a-11_1536786917

that's right next to the door. a swift glance to the left would ascertain the room number. 

You sound like you've never worked a FULL shift. 

7 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

In that video, the light switches are right there on the right hand side when you walk in.  If you walk into a dark apartment,  the first thing you do is turn the lights on.

So the idea that she walked in, thought there was a burglar, gave commands, and then shot somebody in the dark, all without turning on the fucking lights when the switch is right next to you at the door, is absolute horseshit.

No it's not. Women do really stupid ass shit that defies logic...... daily.  

11 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm beginning to think she knew exactly what she was doing.

Based upon what I've read, I am convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that she went to his apartment intentionally and under color of authority.  I am undecided as to when she decided to kill him, but she at least wanted to confront him.

Edited by 77horn

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Yep, yep.  Good catch,  Forgot to look for that.

If she intended to shoot him, then why didn't she make up a story that she smelled weed/heard yelling/saw an open door, and then she was just performing the duties of a cop?  That would have been much more believable. 

If any of this was premeditated, then she is really stupid.  She might still be stupid, either way.

It doesn't make sense for her to have gone to her apt first given she apparently carried her vest, computer, backpack and lunchbox to Jean's apartment.

She either went straight to his apartment from work or premeditated the whole thing with the plan to make it look that way. But her carrying the stuff there makes it impossible that she went home then went up to argue about noise and got carried away and shot him.

It doesn't make sense for her to have gone to her apt first given she apparently carried her vest, computer, backpack and lunchbox to Jean's apartment.

She either went straight to his apartment from work or premeditated the whole thing with the plan to make it look that way. But her carrying the stuff there makes it impossible that she went home then went up to argue about noise and got carried away and shot him.

Now, she could have been exhausted after her shift and decided to go straight to his place first to say "hey, I'm fucking tired tonight so you need to keep it down" and then it escalated.

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

There's that, and also consider that OU sucks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

If she intended to shoot him, then why didn't she make up a story that she smelled weed/heard yelling/saw an open door, and then she was just performing the duties of a cop?  That would have been much more believable. 

If any of this was premeditated, then she is really stupid.  She might still be stupid, either way.

You realize if applicants score too high on aptitude tests, they can’t be cops, right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story%3fid=95836

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

She could have been at her front door, heard noise after finishing her 300 her shift, and then went upstairs to confront him 

Edited by lemonlime

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You have more issues with women leaving lights on, or leaving lights off?

Well it was more sarcasm than anything, but lights are the low rung on the women, and logic disconnect.  

EXHIBIT 1.2 MILLION :  Hey lets kill those ants in the corner of the kitchen with oven cleaner (ant and ranch killer sitting right next to that can)....

17 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Now, she could have been exhausted after her shift and decided to go straight to his place first to say "hey, I'm fucking tired tonight so you need to keep it down" and then it escalated.

In 2018, how many black guys are going to escalate shit with an armed and tired/pissed off cop, female or not?  Especially one that lives in their building. This isn’t something he can run or drive away from if it goes south and he survives the encounter. 

And given that he had to know a cop was below him, I don’t see him doing things that would antagonize her.  At the least, she could complain to management, who would most likely take her word for it over his, and at most/worst, she could gin up something to get him raided   Either way, she could make his life miserable if he left a loud tv on all night or whatever.

The whole thing is fishy.  I’m not saying she planned on executing him, but I am curious about past encounters between them, and how much sleep she actually had in the previous 48 hours.  

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Has she even been fired yet?

Why would she be fired yet ?  That little innocent till proven guilty is kinda a cornerstone of our justice system.  That in no way means I don''t think there's something really fishy going on with her story, and in the end she may be guilty of murder.

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Why would she be fired yet ?  That little innocent till proven guilty is kinda a cornerstone of our justice system.  That in no way means I don''t think there's something really fishy going on with her story, and in the end she may be guilty of murder.

I think she could reasonably be fired on these facts because, even taking her story at her word, it demonstrates that she does not have the temperament to be a police officer.  It only goes downhill from there.  A criminal conviction is and should not be necessary for termination.  There is no way you can spin this into a "good shoot."  You can just make it less horrible.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think she could reasonably be fired on these facts because, even taking her story at her word, it demonstrates that she does not have the temperament to be a police officer.  It only goes downhill from there.  A criminal conviction is and should not be necessary for termination.  There is no way you can spin this into a "good shoot."  You can just make it less horrible.

Well, there's still a process that has to be followed I'd assume.  You don't fire somebody without having actual, verifiable facts.

In 2018, how many black guys are going to escalate shit with an armed and tired/pissed off cop, female or not?  Especially one that lives in their building. This isn’t something he can run or drive away from if it goes south and he survives the encounter. 
And given that he had to know a cop was below him, I don’t see him doing things that would antagonize her.  At the least, she could complain to management, who would most likely take her word for it over his, and at most/worst, she could gin up something to get him raided   Either way, she could make his life miserable if he left a loud tv on all night or whatever.
The whole thing is fishy.  I’m not saying she planned on executing him, but I am curious about past encounters between them, and how much sleep she actually had in the previous 48 hours.  

I didn't say that he escalated it. I don't think he had to know a cop lived below him either. How many people know what the person who lives below or above them did?

Given that she had no legal authority and he wasn't doing anything wrong, I can easily see him telling her something along the lines of "I will listen to my music in my house if I decide to, bye Felicia" and her having her RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH button pushed and there ya go.

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How is it possible to raise your weapon, point and shoot it at a person, and only be charged with manslaughter? Once you point a gun at someone and fire it your intent is to kill them, PERIOD.

Something needs to be made clear here.  She has not yet been indicted by a grand jury.  That is the normal process in Texas and everywhere else for charging someone with a felony.

At times, as when an officer witnesses a crime, or in this case there is suffiicient evidence of a potential crime, a person may be charged and arrested based on an affidavit from an officer, variously called a "capias warrant."   This is an expedient and informal process. Before a case goes much further, the evidence is presented to a grand jury for indictment with whatever charges the district attorney sees fit and the grand jury is willing to return a true bill on.

Once the district attorney gets involved by presenting an indictment, we will see if the DA is operating, as it should, as a check on the police, or, as might be expected, in collusion with the police to maintain the thin blue line and undercharge her.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well, there's still a process that has to be followed I'd assume.  You don't fire somebody without having actual, verifiable facts.

That is no doubt true and doubly so in the heavily union influenced police department.  But it doesn't have to wait for the criminal process to resolve.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That is no doubt true and doubly so in the heavily union influenced police department.  But it doesn't have to wait for the criminal process to resolve.

Interesting, seems they'd open themselves up to litigation for firing somebody without just cause (killing somebody accidentally seems to meet the standard for professional incompetence IMO, but stranger shit happens, and nothing seems to surprise me anymore)  .  Again, I'm in no way supporting her. I'm just questioning the details of the process

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Interesting, seems they'd open themselves up to litigation for firing somebody without just cause (killing somebody accidentally seems to meet the standard for professional incompetence IMO, but stranger shit happens, and nothing seems to surprise me anymore)  .  Again, I'm in no way supporting her. I'm just questioning the details of the process

No, you are right.  Short of a conviction, I think we can be reasonably sure that she will fight any discipline she receives, including firing.  It's civil service to start with and then police-unioned on top of that.  It's a non-trivial matter to fire a cop.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, you are right.  Short of a conviction, I think we can be reasonably sure that she will fight any discipline she receives, including firing.  It's civil service to start with and then police-unioned on top of that.  It's a non-trivial matter to fire a cop.

Yeah, the whole civil service thing is what makes me think it's a damned hard thing to do. I cannot imagine killing somebody "accidentally" like the way she's stated, and ever wanting to hold a gun in my hands again, or fighting my firing.   But I have a thing about always trying to do the right thing, even when it puts me at the disadvantage. Reputation and a clean conscience is something you can't recover once given up.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, the whole civil service thing is what makes me think it's a damned hard thing to do. I cannot imagine killing somebody "accidentally" like the way she's stated, and ever wanting to hold a gun in my hands again, or fighting my firing.   But I have a thing about always trying to do the right thing, even when it puts me at the disadvantage. Reputation and a clean conscience is something you can't recover once given up.

That's why I found her pinterest posts so offensive.  It's bad enough for some 22 year old ex-army kid to be posting that dumb, militant shite, but this woman is 30 and has already shot someone (apparently he didn't die).  It would seem that once you have been in a place where you discharge your weapon, it would tend to sober you up and put an end to the joking around about the violent and deadly aspects of the job.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's why I found her pinterest posts so offensive.  It's bad enough for some 22 year old ex-army kid to be posting that dumb, militant shite, but this woman is 30 and has already shot someone (apparently he didn't die).  It would seem that once you have been in a place where you discharge your weapon, it would tend to sober you up and put an end to the joking around about the violent and deadly aspects of the job.

Wasn't aware of the Pinterest posts or her previous history.  

I think she went to the wrong apartment, door was unlocked. She sees someone inside or movement and her being a cop with a gun, she immediately shoots the “intruder”.  Her training (urge to kill someone after training) taught her to shoot first and figure out later  

when she hit the lights she realized her fuck up and all of the bullshit from there is just trying to save her ass  

you or I may turn on the lights, scream at the person, flee for help etc.  but she has a gun and is a cop  she is not “fleeing” from anyone in her home  I’m sure when she pulled the trigger she felt empowered for those 5 seconds

i Don’t believe based on the evidence so far she simply went to murder the man, that doesn’t make sense either

Ummm....you must have missed the past 20 years of pro cop spin. It will involve the terms “drug-fueled rage,” “legitimately feared for her life,” and...bonus terms “thug” and “animal.”

Care to place any wagers?

Sure you can. Just get a badge, and you can never lose them. No matter what you do, you’re a hero, putting your life on the line every day, and you’re lucky to make it home to your family. So, just say thank you to our heroes in blue and go about your day grateful they are there to protect you.

It’s a package deal with the badge: an unquestionable reputation of heroism, integrity, and bravery.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And you can guarantee that she had much more stuff on  Facebook & Instagram.  Of course when you dont get arrested for raising your gun up, pointing it at someone,  and then shooting and killing them in their own home until 3 days later, you're afforded the latitude to scrub those items from your social media accounts.  She probably forgot about her Pinterest because who the hell post shit like that on Pinterest? 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Killing an innocent man is the epitome of police competence, in the eyes of the police.

And you can guarantee that she had much more stuff on  Facebook & Instagram.  Of course when you dont get arrested for raising your gun up, pointing it at someone,  and then shooting and killing them in their own home until 3 days later, you're afforded the latitude to scrub those items from your social media accounts.  She probably forgot about her Pinterest because who the hell post shit like that on Pinterest? 

Racists