Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

🤣

I'm sure the criminals will volunteer to go first. You are blaming the escalation in violent interactions on the peace keepers. La La land.

You're moving the goalpost now. I'm talking about the Dallas protest shooting. Stay on focus.

52 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Go do a ride along with the police. Just say you are thinking about getting the training and joining. You sign a piece of paper saying you won't blame them if you die. 

You can spend all night watching all the fucked up situations police have to get into constantly, from the safety of the passenger seat of the car. You aren't technically allowed to get out. You also must be aware that everything is being recorded on the police mic, sometimes body cam, and the dashboard cam. You shouldn't talk enough to fuck up a case one way or another if something happens. 

It really does give you an idea what they go though. 

Fuck that shit, man. Those clowns signed up for that shit when they chose to be cops. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Fuck that shit, man. Those clowns signed up for that shit when they chose to be cops. 

Fuck what shit? Seeing both sides of the situation? 

Empathy.png

22 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I am

Well that is an interesting stance. I hope you wouldn't dare call 911 if you or your family is in danger.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

You're moving the goalpost now. I'm talking about the Dallas protest shooting. Stay on focus.

So wait, they should have just let people riot? The Dallas police trying to keep the mob from getting out of control CAUSED a psychopath to start murdering police from the rooftops?

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

Go do a ride along with the police. Just say you are thinking about getting the training and joining. You sign a piece of paper saying you won't blame them if you die. 

You can spend all night watching all the fucked up situations police have to get into constantly, from the safety of the passenger seat of the car. You aren't technically allowed to get out. You also must be aware that everything is being recorded on the police mic, sometimes body cam, and the dashboard cam. You shouldn't talk enough to fuck up a case one way or another if something happens. 

It really does give you an idea what they go though. 

That's probably a good idea for me and a lot of people that talk smack on social media. I'm probably one of 10 posters on the Interwebs that appreciates nuance and gray and does not feel the need to solely parrot one tribe or the other. Like every other profession, cops have good or bad; but most professions don't have everything they do critiqued.

I do like your empathy post. Unlike many, I don't have selective empathy and try to share it for all people not just my tribe. I do feel really bad for her; she did not intend to be in this situation. However, cops every day punish people for much less, and the results of her actions cannot be retracted.

28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That's probably a good idea for me and a lot of people that talk smack on social media. I'm probably one of 10 posters on the Interwebs that appreciates nuance and gray and does not feel the need to solely parrot one tribe or the other. Like every other profession, cops have good or bad; but most professions don't have everything they do critiqued.

I do like your empathy post. Unlike many, I don't have selective empathy and try to share it for all people not just my tribe. I do feel really bad for her; she did not intend to be in this situation. However, cops every day punish people for much less, and the results of her actions cannot be retracted.

Yeah but with her situation, I'm thinking there's more to the story. She was probably on/off some meds, and fucking this guy. Something happened, she freaked out and shot him.

Nobody knows the real story because all that has came out is her side, but I dont believe anyone could be stupid or stressed out enough to walk into the wrong apartment and think it was theirs, even if it's the same chicken cooper below hers or whatever. Either she was dating him or she was out of her mind, if it was the latter, it sucks that nobody saw it earlier, especially in her profession.

I feel bad for both, but way, way worse the dude she shot. If it's murder that's horrible, if her story is true that is also horrible. I dont believe her storyfor a second.

Just imagine if it was a white Male cop instead of a woman. Would we be having riots. Would ANYONE believe that stupid fucking story?

Do the ride along, they don't care if you are just doing it for shits and giggles. It's like being in an episode of cops. Mostly funny, sad, not super serious. Hopefully nothing actually serious would happen, because you dont want that dose of adrenaline.

Edited by Zavala

10 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yeah but with her situation, I'm thinking there's more to the story. She was probably on/off some meds, and fucking this guy. Something happened, she freaked out and shot him.

Nobody knows the real story because all that has came out is her side, but I dont believe anyone could be stupid or stressed out enough to walk into the wrong apartment and think it was theirs, even if it's the same chicken cooper below hers or whatever. Either she was dating him or she was out of her mind, if it was the latter, it sucks that nobody saw it earlier, especially in her profession.

I feel bad for both, but way, way worse the dude she shot. If it's murder that's horrible, if her story is true that is also horrible. I dont believe her storyfor a second.

Just imagine if it was a white Male cop instead of a woman. Would we be having riots. Would ANYONE believe that stupid fucking story?

Do the ride along, they don't care if you are just doing it for shits and giggles. It's like being in an episode of cops. Mostly funny, sad, not super serious. Hopefully nothing actually serious would happen, because you dont want that dose of adrenaline.

I had just assumed exponential more empathy for him and his family. As for her story, agreed it does not make sense - the scorned lover makes more sense than wrong apartment- surely texts, emails, etc. could figure that out. After I heard the initial report my first thought was please let the cop have at least one card. White guy and it’s Watts 2.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I had just assumed exponential more empathy for him and his family. As for her story, agreed it does not make sense - the scorned lover makes more sense than wrong apartment- surely texts, emails, etc. could figure that out. After I heard the initial report my first thought was please let the cop have at least one card. White guy and it’s Watts 2.

What in the Sam fuck are you talking about?

54 minutes ago, Zavala said:

It's always been. They have always taught the people are sheep. The criminals are the wolves, and the Police are the sheepdog.

No it hasn’t. We went from a serve and protect to a “it’s a war out there” force rather quickly..  my bf is an officer and talks about it often. Unfortunately there’s so much buy in thanks to the unions, officers really can’t say much. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I recommend not worrying about it. We were having a nice conversation. But thank you. I hope you have more to do on Friday night.

Maybe I should spend my time hoping the cop has "at least one card", or whatever fucking nonsense you waste your time thinking about.  But then I would be a cop loving apologist like you. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SDG said:

No it hasn’t. We went from a serve and protect to a “it’s a war out there” force rather quickly..  my bf is an officer and talks about it often. Unfortunately there’s so much buy in thanks to the unions, officers really can’t say much. 

https://www.policeone.com/police-trainers/videos/6097267-The-sheep-the-wolf-and-the-sheep-dog/

This is what they have taught police for quite a while. It's been a war out there since the 80s btw. Dope has turned a lot of men into monsters. 

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

https://www.policeone.com/police-trainers/videos/6097267-The-sheep-the-wolf-and-the-sheep-dog/

This is what they have taught police for quite a while. It's been a war out there since the 80s btw. Dope has turned a lot of men into monsters. 

You're misguided, bro. The cops are the monsters

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zavala said:

The internet is a strange place. I can literally find information to support any argument. You posting policeone as a source only strengthens my argument...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Maybe I should spend my time hoping the cop has "at least one card", or whatever fucking nonsense you waste your time thinking about.  But then I would be a cop loving apologist like you. 

I’m happy to send you some reading comprehension books to your folks’ house or help you setup Tinder. Finding a good woman will relax some of that hate and anger. Getting laid is the best antidote to being a bully.

Edited by Kyle

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, TwiceHorn said:

There's two theories of liability here. One is Texas tort law, the allegation that she was negligent in her actions.  Under that theory, yes the city would be liable under respondent superior if she was acting within the scope of her employment.  However, liability is capped at $250k by the Texas Tort Claims Act.

She probably was acting within the scope of her employment, even if off-duty, because even an off-duty officer has the ability to make arrests if crimes are witnessed and are felonies or involve a breach of the peace.  So, for a lot of purposes, a cop is always acting within the scope of employment.

The second theory of liability, that implied by "excessive force," is the civil rights or 42 USC 1983 claim, also known as a Bivens claim.  Under that theory, the use of excessive force is a violation of civil rights.  There is no cap on liability.  However, the City is not liable for her actions under respondeat superior.  The plaintiff would have to prove a policy of this kind of action to make the City liable.

Apparently, both the City and Guyger are insured for these claims by the Texas Municipal League, but I don't know what policy limits.  It may be the statutory $250k for the tort claims.

Are you familiar with the Laredo murders committed by the border patrol agent? Respecting the devil is in the details, but any parallel in terms of liability by the government?

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Dallas DA is refusing to release the 911 call .

Greg Abbot appointed mouth breather DA. Our last DA was a pill addict but intentionally resigned a few weeks after the cutoff to hold an election to replace her. Fuck both of them. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn
  • Like 1

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-police/2018/10/02/everything-city-dallas-wont-tell-death-botham-jean

"Other records that police and prosecutors refuse to release include: Guyger's personnel file, records related to her shooting of a man she said took her Taser during a struggle in 2017, Guyger's clock-in and clock-out times the day of the shooting, Guyger's annual salary, previous administrative leave with the department, other 911 calls about the shooting, Guyger's work schedule, body camera and dash camera videos, and any off-duty jobs she was approved to work."

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, thestud said:

I would think the release of most of that information would taint the potential jury pool, but I’m no lawdog and I didn’t stay at a holiday inn last night.

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Keeping the potential jury pool from being unduly influenced ?

Haha, yeah. It has nothing to do with her being a cop. It's all about the process. Right. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kyle said:

Are you familiar with the Laredo murders committed by the border patrol agent? Respecting the devil is in the details, but any parallel in terms of liability by the government?

Parallels, yes.  First, it is not clear that he was "on duty" or that there is a federal peace officer jurisdiction that puts a federal LEO basically on the clock 24/7.  A tort claim against the government as his employer might be governed by the Federal Tort Claims Act.  I'm not sure there's enough there to make his actions under color of law for purposes of a civil rights claim.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I have no idea why, I was just posting a thought. Seems legit to me, but I'm not a conspiratorial minded person.

it doesn't take a conspiracy theory to see how differently cops are handled by the justice system than laypeople. we found about his possession of marijuana right quick, because, i was told, that's public material. so is the 911 call. but it is being withheld. if they were so interested in a perfectly untainted jury pool, we wouldn't know about his weed either. 

to be clear, i'm not coming at you. i'm just extremely cynical.

• Like 3

This is both absurd, and completely expected. 

Can any criminal defense attorneys comment on how they can choose not to release this information, but at the same time justify the release of personal and incriminating information about the deceased under the guise of "public information?"

• Like 1