Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It will never be purple.

It will switch to blue and that will be that. When, not if.

This was supposed to be the guy! He has Cruz on the ropes! He should debate him in Spanish! Blue wave incoming man, surf's up!!! LOL FAIL

Just another jackass like Wendy Davis, soon to be forgotten until the next Dem "star" emerges. 

Edited by Vince_McCoy_Williams
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Kavanaugh will already be confirmed by November. What will be your excuse for voting for Ted Cruz then?

Are you kidding? Johnny Sack was never gonna vote for Beto under any circumstance. Even if spineless Ted grew a spine and decided to vote no on Kavanaugh and Beto was a yes. 

JS is a Cruz guy all the way. Slimy and fearful. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Been hearing that one for a couple of decades now. You keep fucking that chicken. Come talk to me after Cruz blasts Beto (Robert) O Dourke guy by 10+

What's the population of Harris County now and what was it in 1990?  Travis?  Bexar?  Dallas?

How do they compare to Panola?

What's the demographic shift look like? If you wanted Texas to stay conservative, you should have done more to keep it rural. 

One of the more interesting tidbits on that politico article are that 2/3 of the folks in Texas over 65 are white, and 2/3 of the folks under 19 are non-white.  Not surprising, but put in those terms a bit more blunt.

I think the interesting thing about Beto of course is that his message is much more inclusive than past Dems.  Not necessarily inclusive in terms of policy of course but inclusive in terms of process.  (Not afraid of going into red counties and talking to folks, etc.) It's the polar opposite of the 2016 "intolerables" message.

Speaking of intolerables, I can't believe I haven't put Vince on ignore.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Been hearing that one for a couple of decades now. You keep fucking that chicken. Come talk to me after Cruz blasts Beto (Robert) O Dourke guy by 10+

Decades?   I know it’s fun to put the blinders on and pretend like Texas is some kind of Republican bastion, but two decades ago, while the US Senators may have been R, Texas was run by Democrats.

And  that was before white people in Texas dropped below 50% of the state back in 2005.

By 2010, whites were making up around 45% of the state.

Texas was blue in our lifetimes, and it’s going to be again  

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

What's the population of Harris County now and what was it in 1990?  Travis?  Bexar?  Dallas?

How do they compare to Panola?

What's the demographic shift look like? If you wanted Texas to stay conservative, you should have done more to keep it rural. 

In 1990 democrats were winning a lot of statewide offices.  And Texas was much whiter and more rural back then.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

In 1990 democrats were winning a lot of statewide offices.  And Texas was much whiter and more rural back then.

The voting rolls included a ton of old white people who had been voting for southern Democrats their entire lives and did not fully understand the ideological shift that occurred between the parties in the late 60s. My grandparents never voted for Republicans and I can't think of too many people who were more conservative than they were. They were also racist, my grandmother particularly.

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Decades?   I know it’s fun to put the blinders on and pretend like Texas is some kind of Republican bastion, but two decades ago, while the US Senators may have been R, Texas was run by Democrats.

And  that was before white people in Texas dropped below 50% of the state back in 2005.

The GOP will be the minority party again in Texas unless they can find a way to attract more Hispanics (and other minorities) into their ranks.  At each lower age range, GOP demographics (white) get smaller and smaller.     

Age 65+ -- white texans make up 64% of this age range

Age 40-64 -- 49% 

Age 20-39 -- 38%

Age <19 -- 33%

So unless the olds start miraculously having kids or there is a mass migration of white Americans from other states, Texas' future demographics are set.  If the GOP can't attract non-whites , they will be pushed to the back within 2 decades.  Ask any business of the future prospects when more customers leave (die) and are not fully replaced.

These #s are even more dramatic in the cities, which are experiencing the population growth.

The R's will have to make adjustments at some point in the future on certain platform elements.  The Bush's were actually popular in the Hispanic vote, so return to that type of approach to immigrants and Mexico/Latin American relations would be a key.

Where I live, a huge chunk of our "non-white" population is Asian and they vote R in pretty strong numbers.

4 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

Where I live, a huge chunk of our "non-white" population is Asian and they vote R in pretty strong numbers.

Where I live, a huge chunk of our non-white population is South Asian.  They used to vote R in pretty strong numbers.  Then they figured out that Rs hate people with brown skin.  Now they're as D as it gets.  

They went' from being not-particularly-engaged voters to being some of the most politically-engaged people I know.  They're well educated, and used to have a very "wait and see" attitude about politics.  Now, they've waited and seen, and they've become very activist.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Where I live, a huge chunk of our non-white population is South Asian.  They used to vote R in pretty strong numbers.  Then they figured out that Rs hate people with brown skin.  Now they're as D as it gets.  

They went' from being not-particularly-engaged voters to being some of the most politically-engaged people I know.  They're well educated, and used to have a very "wait and see" attitude about politics.  Now, they've waited and seen, and they've become very activist.

and this is where the republican party massively misses the boat. immigrant populations tend to be far more conservative in general - because they value hard work, financial discipline, etc.  but instead of thinking longer term, they just seek to galvanize their base by villainizing immigrant invaders.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

In my experience, South Asians tend to split in the same way whites do.  Younger voters are mostly liberal and focus on the danger Trump poses to our democracy.  Older voters mostly want free money via tax cuts and talk openly about the threat of Others (usually Muslims).

And just like anglos, there are older South Asians who lean liberal and younger South Asians who support nationalism so long as it comes with tax cut handouts and hasn’t gotten around to scapegoating their particular group yet.

But that whole denaturalizing task force is raising some eyebrows.  Some would-be Trump supporters in minority communities are waking up to the idea that the pied piper might just be marching them out of Hamelin for good.

Edited by BrickHorn

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

and this is where the republican party massively misses the boat. immigrant populations tend to be far more conservative in general - because they value hard work, financial discipline, etc.  but instead of thinking longer term, they just seek to galvanize their base by villainizing immigrant invaders.

And people like Trump will never understand why so many conservative churches/religious organizations pushed back publicly and privately against the family separations. Those immigrants are fresh blood for existing churches in the US, whose numbers have been declining.  Religion is one of those things that help immigrants out a great deal when they make the move, whether it’s Hispanics from South America here in 2018, Germans in the 1850s, or the fucking Irishmen in the 1840s.

26 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

The R's will have to make adjustments at some point in the future on certain platform elements.  The Bush's were actually popular in the Hispanic vote, so return to that type of approach to immigrants and Mexico/Latin American relations would be a key.

Asian voters don't lean Dem in the way African Americans do, but they do lean Dem.  They have also leaned further Dem since Trump took office.  Don't let Iconoclast and Tila Tequila fool you.

Edited by FondrenRoad

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

But those were Democrats that believed in the Lost Cause.

33 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Asian voters don't lean Dem in the way African Americans do, but they do lean Dem.  They have also leaned further Dem since Trump took office.  Don't let Iconoclast and Tila Tequila fool you.

Iconoclast is definitely the exception.  All the Persians I know (and having married one, I now know heaps) despise Trump. 

11 hours ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

You sound just like posters in the CR in 2016 scoffing that Trump could never be elected.

Beto may or may not win, but the attitudes in state toward the GOP are genuinely shifting.

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

You sound just like posters in the CR in 2016 scoffing that Trump could never be elected.

Beto may or may not win, but the attitudes in state toward the GOP are genuinely shifting.

They also fail to see or acknowledge that Dan Patrick and Ken Paxton are in surprisingly difficult races.  No surprise, that 2 of the WORST state-wide officials elected by the GOP are finally being exposed as completely awful.

Edited by Js1

My girlfriends dad is Mexican and her mom is Asian. They don’t even know who Beto is.   They are too busy listening to whatever Fox News is telling them.   Cruz says words like “Christian values” and that’s enough for them.  

That’s still the GOP’s best hook. They will run to the Cross every chance they get.

But as to the Asians and south Asians, look at some traditionally GOP areas that have had a large influx of those folks - like Ft Bend county. Went for Hilary.

My girlfriends dad is Mexican and her mom is Asian. They don’t even know who Beto is.   They are too busy listening to whatever Fox News is telling them.   Cruz says words like “Christian values” and that’s enough for them.  
Pics of biracial girlfriend?
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
3 hours ago, Chuychanga said:

Pics of biracial girlfriend?

This.

Thank God Beto hasn’t gone off the deep end and advocated abolishing ICE like the chick running for the House in New York. If the Republicans can ram home Kavanaugh before the midterms, I would vote for Beto because Ted Cruz is the most unlikable slimeball in politics.  I think Beto would be relatively moderate which would be a breath of fresh air.

9 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Wait, you think I’m Asian? I was the fucking Shah of Shaggy. Come on man. Are you ok, because you sound like your going through dementia with you trying to school me on 1st week of law school shit on the Kavanaugh thread and now thinking I’m Asian.

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Wait, you think I’m Asian? I was the fucking Shah of Shaggy. Come on man. Are you ok, because you sound like your going through dementia with you trying to school me on 1st week of law school shit on the Kavanaugh thread and now thinking I’m Asian.

lulz. well.

african or european?

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You ever find the cheap jersey you wanted or what

I posted this on the Kavanaugh thread but I will re-post my current views on knockoff/legit jerseys:

Haven’t bought a knockoff in a while. The $99 legit versions are a good price point. NFL wised up and brought their jersey prices to what MLB charges. They super duper official game NFL jerseys are close to $300.

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I posted this on the Kavanaugh thread but I will re-post my current views on knockoff/legit jerseys:

Haven’t bought a knockoff in a while. The $99 legit versions are a good price point. NFL wised up and brought their jersey prices to what MLB charges. They super duper official game NFL jerseys are close to $300.

How much does it cost to get them tailored?

46 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Iran is in Asia, dumbass. Add geography to the list of things you need to study. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Recently arrived older Asian immigrants vote Republican because they are socially conservative and, nowadays, well-off financially. I find this to be the case with the Chinese around Houston, who could say things that would make my small town Nebraska relatives blush. Immigrants who have been here longer are more likely to have dealt with some form of bullshit, whether it's racism, immigration policy, or something else. These people get bluer as time goes on and, make no mistake, if they happen to have children of voting age, those kids are solid D.

A good example are the Vietnamese-Americans, who used to be staunch Republicans but I recall a recent poll showing them to be something like 55-45 Dem now.

Here in my corner of Sugar Land, the South Asians are in love with our Dem House candidate, who is one of them (and a damn fine candidate, TBH). The folks from the Indian subcontinent will go to bat for their guy/gal, regardless of party, more often than many of the other folks.

46 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Iran is in Asia, dumbass. Add geography to the list of things you need to study. 

No one calls someone like me an Asian in this country. If you need someone to take you to the mental hospital for your dementia, I know the way

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No one calls someone like me an Asian in this country. If you need someone to take you to the mental hospital for your dementia, I know the way

No one calls Iranians Asian anywhere. Imagine being such a fucking geek you need to quibble about this sort of technicality to try to score internet points.