Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

22 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

everytime I go on my neighborhood's nextdoor website I get humbled about this race. 

Moral victories don’t count but showing that Texas can be put in play is what this race is about. This is the race that will wake the national party up and show that Texas isn’t that far off when we get solid candidates (or not). Everybody knows the changing demographics and has for a while. This race will show that Texas is close to the turning point that people have predicted OR that even with an unlikeable candidate Texas is still solidly red, stifling dems hopes for another decade. I want Beto to win as bad as anybody but I’m not going to act like a close loss is devastating. It’s actually the opposite for me. Now, if he gets rolled by 10+ points it will show that Texas is still far more red than I would like to admit. 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, F250 said:

Illinois Nazi's are a real thing. I had no idea.

Yep.  I went to college in central Illinois, at the same time as Matt Hale, who was making the news as a white supremist.  He's currently doing 40 years for soliciting the murder of a federal judge. 

People think Illinois is liberal because Chicago dominates the presidential elections.  But once you get out of Chicagoland, it's just as conservative as the rest of the Midwest, and as you go south, you might as well be in rural Kentucky. 

• Like 2

Was chatting w a first generation Russian/Ukrainian American last night...grew up in the west coast, so he’s all over the map politically, but def leans towards being a conservative. At one point supported trump (now I’m not sure), wants weed legalized (he’s a vet w some PTSD), doesn’t want his guns touched (but is for a longer vetting process and wants the gun show loop hole closed).

Long story short, he’s ready to vote for Beto, even with Betos hard stance against guns. Loves everything about Beto except his gun stance.

Despises everything Rafael stands for.

Beto...GO FUCKING GET THIS!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

In all my travels over the past month, I've seen a lot of Beto signs.  I've seen exactly one Ted Cruz sign.  It's next door to @Brisketexan.

I find that really fucking funny.

Not next door.  Three doors down.  Only Cruz sign in our whole neighborhood.  Three.  Freaking.  Doors.  Down.

They are not popular on our block.

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

In all my travels over the past month, I've seen a lot of Beto signs.  I've seen exactly one Ted Cruz sign.  It's next door to @Brisketexan.

I find that really fucking funny.

I rarely see Cruz signs, but then again I've never met an enthusiastic supporter of the guy outside of some friends that go to Prestonwood.

Looking at his twitter feed, he's getting out there now and his crowds look decent sized. Little to no diversity of race or age.

It's really courageous of Cruz to venture into the liberal stronghold of College Station and take on the tremendous challenge of convincing all those aggy libtards to vote R in Nov. I'm sure it wasn't fun, but Cruz's tireless efforts in this regard may make all the difference this fall.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

I rarely see Cruz signs, but then again I've never met an enthusiastic supporter of the guy outside of some friends that go to Prestonwood.

Looking at his twitter feed, he's getting out there now and his crowds look decent sized. Little to no diversity of race or age.

Is someone holding a Beto sign behind Cruz in his Waco photo? Looks like a self own

Cruz should win this.  But damned if he isn't committing political malpractice.

Beto's numbers are good, but he suffers from lack of name recognition.  Right now is when Cruz could define Beto and give his candidacy crib death.  Get on television and tell why Beto is dishonest/a communist/whatever.  Increase Beto's name recognition by increasing his negatives.  Make sure that for the 40% of Texans who have never heard of Beto, the first thing is negative.

Instead, Cruz is traveling around preaching to the choir.  And he's not even publicizing those sermons particularly well.  Twitter is nice, but it's not going to help you reach those people who haven't yet engaged.

This is the Trump strategy.  But the Trump strategy worked because it was run by Trump.  Every time he had a rally, it was covered in its entirety by every cable news network because they had no idea what crazy shit he was going to say.  Cruz isn't going to get that coverage.  For one thing, he's not a presidential candidate.  And for another, he's not interesting.  So instead of wall-to-wall coverage on CNN, he gets page 7 of the Bryan-College Station Eagle.

Cruz needs to be on television right now defining Beto.  He's not.  So the first thing that 40% are going to see of Beto is a nice introductory 30-second spot with Beto and his kids talking about reasonable shit.  He's going to look good, and his positives will go up.

It's political malpractice.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing the donation numbers for the second quarter coming out this week. Beto has already said the numbers are up, which is not surprising since his media attention went way up in April after the Quinnipiac poll came out showing only a 3 point gap (when it was realistically more like 6-7). Where does he go from $6.7 million from 141,000 donations.

Edited by RayDog
Typo

I saw something the other day that compared the presidential winning percentages by state from 2012 and 2016 and looked at the percentage change. The average swing was 4.3% to the Republicans because Hillary sucked as a candidate and Trump's message resonated with many people, much more than Romney. 

I found it interesting that Texas had the second largest Democratic swing of any state (not counting Utah) at 6.8%. If the Democrats had a much better candidate it could have been 10 points. From that perspective the 5 point difference in the latest UT poll is not surprising.

Here are the top swings toward the democrats.

California     7.3
Texas     6.8
Arizona     5.6
D.C    5
Massachusetts     4.5
Georgia     2.7
Virginia     1.5
Washington     1.33
Kansas     1
Maryland     0.6
Illinois    0.2

Note the swings of Arizona and Georgia which will definitely be swing states in 2020, with Virginia moving more solidly democratic.

53 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

My brother cohosted a reception for Beto recently in Dallas and I got to chat with him a little bit.  Impressive guy. Will get my vote for certain.  

That's great — will each of your socks vote for him, or will the Cruz socks win out in the end? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2