Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is a somewhat disheartening quote that I think is meant to have the opposite effect.  It's just sad that we've come to this.  People should not be afraid to come out and support whomever they want.

'Now I know it’s OK in this suburb of Houston or this stretch of West Texas to be for you or to be with other people who think the way that I do.’

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

I am also sure that this really happened

I figured that if you guys could buy such a fantastic tale, then I surely could weave this plot into a short story. I’m also working on material involving the guy that waters his yard too often and the lady who obsesses over school bus routes. 

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

There's so much to unpack in that article:

1) I've long been skeptical of yard signs as a campaign tool.  But there is something to them when you're running an underdog campaign.  It creates name recognition.  And especially in (perhaps formerly) Republican areas, it creates a permission structure whereby people can at least consider voting for a Democrat.  

I do think that the Republican thought process is generally right that when you have a Republican incumbent who already has name recognition, yard signs are probably a waste of time in an ordinary campaign.  Greg Abbott isn't going to need to print a single yard sign to bury Lupe Valdez.  But when you're facing an insurgent candidate, there's obviously a very real risk of your own supporters getting demoralized.

2) The notion that Beto has just been giving away yard signs willy-nilly is wholly false.  I bought mine, as did most everyone I know.  Only recently have they been giving them out for free, and even then you have to have gone to an event to get one (meaning you paid with your time).

3) For all the post-hoc justification by the Cruz campaign, there's a whiff of unpreparedness about that whole campaign.  They don't have a campaign message; they haven't really coordinated their attacks; they don't have much of a ground game.  Cruz himself has always talked a good game about how he thought this was going to be a real race, . . . but did he?

4) His one campaign theme seems to be "Keep Texas Red."  But let's get one thing real straight--Texas is going to stay Red.  Next January, the Governor is still going to be a Republican; both houses of the Legislature will be overwhelmingly Republican; every justice on the Supreme Court will be a Republican.  The problem isn't that Texas is becoming purple; it's that Ted Cruz is a shitty candidate and has been a shitty senator.  "Keep Texas Red" does nothing to address that, and that's a real problem for his campaign.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is a somewhat disheartening quote that I think is meant to have the opposite effect.  It's just sad that we've come to this.  People should not be afraid to come out and support whomever they want.

Well, that would certainly be ideal. It’s never been hip to be conservative, much less a Republican, and I don’t expect that to change anytime soon. Hell, there are posters that follow me around and neg my posts because I’m not voting for Beto, it’s quite sad really. But, then again, maybe it serves as a cathartic release for them. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/texas-gops-beto-orourke-band-backfire-11079792

I am hard pressed to find a worse reaction to a supposed negative attack. It has made the differences between them even more glaring.

Ambitious asshole vs. College kid in a band 

Just wait to see what happens if they keep pushing the Harvey vote bullshit.  That one is so easy to debunk that it shows just how desperate the Cruz campaign is getting.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

4) His one campaign theme seems to be "Keep Texas Red."  But let's get one thing real straight--Texas is going to stay Red.  Next January, the Governor is still going to be a Republican; both houses of the Legislature will be overwhelmingly Republican; every justice on the Supreme Court will be a Republican.  The problem isn't that Texas is becoming purple; it's that Ted Cruz is a shitty candidate and has been a shitty senator.  "Keep Texas Red" does nothing to address that, and that's a real problem for his campaign.

He's gonna keep the Gestapo out of Bastropo. That's all I care about. If that makes me a "single-issue voter" you libtards like to mock then so be it. I just want no Gestapo in Bastropo. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

He's gonna keep the Gestapo out of Bastropo. That's all I care about. If that makes me a "single-issue voter" you libtards like to mock then so be it. I just want no Gestapo in Bastropo. 
maxresdefault.jpg

But Wal-Mart jails for toddlers in Hidalgo (gotta work on the rhyming) are cool. As cool as Ted Cruz at your college party, man...

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Let me make sure I understand it.  "We don't have the money for yard signs" right next to "you can have one for $10."  They aren't spending anywhere close to $10 on a sign, so quote 1 doesn't make any sense at all in context of quote 2.  

Also love how Republicans are so hell bent on not allowing Democrats to have nicknames, and are sure to provide the middle names of Democrats whenever they perceive that that name is embarrassing in some way.

18 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Well, that would certainly be ideal. It’s never been hip to be conservative, much less a Republican, and I don’t expect that to change anytime soon. Hell, there are posters that follow me around and neg my posts because I’m not voting for Beto, it’s quite sad really. But, then again, maybe it serves as a cathartic release for them. 

Fuck you. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

What's the story around the Harvey Hurricane vote? Is that some trumped up b.s. being spread by desperate people? If he did vote no, what was the context and reason-- surely there is explanation.

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What's the story around the Harvey Hurricane vote? Is that some trumped up b.s. being spread by desperate people? If he did vote no, what was the context and reason-- surely there is explanation.

Do you really want an answer, because there are links explaining the vote posted in the thread, and I know you've been reading the thread? Or is this just you "asking questions?"

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The first version of the relief bill did not include Puerto Rico, so he didn't vote for it as did many others because it failed to pass.  Puerto Rico was added and then it was quickly passed.

Thank you! Was seriously looking for an answer. Not as politically educated/involved as most of you; sorry!

Edited by Guest

44 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

LOL no one follows you around. No one even knows who you are. 

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

You are the lamest troll on this board. At least Chrispy believes the ignorant racist bullshit he spews. Can someone run an IP check on this guy and figure out what his old shaggy handle was? 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Please, you’ve been sending me personal messages for weeks. 

If that's true, you should probably know that a "suck my cock" message from Subliminal "may" have a different meaning than the same message from most of the rest of us. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You are the lamest troll on this board. At least Chrispy believes the ignorant racist bullshit he spews. Can someone run an IP check on this guy and figure out what his old shaggy handle was? 

The fact that people can't engage, politely and humbly, with you people is the lamest thing on this board. Seriously, it's pathological with you fucks. No wonder everyone considers people like you insufferable and off-putting and unlikable.

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The fact that people can't engage, politely and humbly, with you people is the lamest thing on this board. Seriously, it's pathological with you fucks. No wonder everyone considers people like you insufferable and off-putting and unlikable.

What do you mean, "you people?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

I figured that if you guys could buy such a fantastic tale, then I surely could weave this plot into a short story. I’m also working on material involving the guy that waters his yard too often and the lady who obsesses over school bus routes. 

-F0-M_.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Man, I'm sorry. I was just joking. Please continue to ask intelligent questions and keep us updated on the political salons you attend in Cypress.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lurch said:

The punk generation is now 45-65 years old? Sounds ideal

Good point. I know a guy that is a Trump supporter and in his mid 50's that fits your typical middle age white male Fox News viewer stereotype. The guy is a pretty damn good musician and plays in country band. He is also an avid fan of punk and played in a number of punk bands throughout the 80's.

We talked about the Beto dress picture recently and it wasn't something he considered to be a negative but a positive. This guy was actually able to relate to Beto because of the dress. He ended showing me pictures of his punk days and then went on about seeing the Dead Kennedys live in London in the early 80's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Man, I'm sorry. I was just joking. Please continue to ask intelligent questions and keep us updated on the political salons you attend in Cypress.  

You are funny, I get it. You are snide and clever and have a way with humor and that's admirable. But you also seem to be taking someone's honest inquiry into areas untreaded and waters unknown, personally. Maybe you are just defensive or feel like you've been hurt before or something, I'm not sure, but it reeks of that sort of pathology.

At any rate; the way you and Chuckie and some others marginalize questions/education that lead to illumination and education as some sort of meme'd "asking questions" (which i'm utterly confused about), is symptomatic of the larger problem with American politics. Unless I wear the donkey on my sleeve already, I can't engage in conversation/discourse, ask questions, ask for perspective and point of view, or give perspective or point of view, without being vilified. It would be pathetic if it wasn't kinda funny.

And it's especially weird because I've learned more from this thread (and a few others) and have literally gone from "Never would I consider" to "Hey, I like this Beto guy kinda" in like the span of a few weeks-- and a lot of that is what I've learned on this thread from reasonable human beings.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:46 AM, DaysOff said:

Now how many of those dipshit kids will find their way to a booth in November because I can assure you my mother and the rest of her 80 year old friends will find their way.

Someone just needs to make a vote party, if you have the vote sticker you get 3 shots or something like that

Yeah, I was thinking it would be awesome if somehow we could turn the tables and play some voter intimidation games.  Identify all the early voting stations where the olds go, and bus in a ton of Beto voters to camp out and inflate the lines to vote every day of early voting, so the olds give up and go home for a change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah, I was thinking it would be awesome if somehow we could turn the tables and play some voter intimidation games.  Identify all the early voting stations where the olds go, and bus in a ton of Beto voters to camp out and inflate the lines to vote every day of early voting, so the olds give up and go home for a change.

If you could keep the lines long until 4:00, they would give up and try to beat the rush to Luby’s

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

You are funny, I get it. You are snide and clever and have a way with humor and that's admirable. But you also seem to be taking someone's honest inquiry into areas untreaded and waters unknown, personally. Maybe you are just defensive or feel like you've been hurt before or something, I'm not sure, but it reeks of that sort of pathology.

At any rate; the way you and Chuckie and some others marginalize questions/education that lead to illumination and education as some sort of meme'd "asking questions" (which i'm utterly confused about), is symptomatic of the larger problem with American politics. Unless I wear the donkey on my sleeve already, I can't engage in conversation/discourse, ask questions, ask for perspective and point of view, or give perspective or point of view, without being vilified. It would be pathetic if it wasn't kinda funny.

And it's especially weird because I've learned more from this thread (and a few others) and have literally gone from "Never would I consider" to "Hey, I like this Beto guy kinda" in like the span of a few weeks-- and a lot of that is what I've learned on this thread from reasonable human beings.

You have nearly 1,200 posts on this board and you are a regular in this thread.  And even if you somehow missed the discussion here, simply Googling "Beto Harvey" instantly produces a handful of websites all offering the information you claimed to seek.

Anybody with an IQ higher than danger_smax can see through your bullshit.  If calling you out on it offends you, find a safe space.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

just go stand around with some Mexican friends

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Don't be mad because you are shitty at trolling. Keep your head down, work hard, and before you know it you'll be a great troll. 

In the off chance you aren't trolling: Jesus titty fucking Christ. 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Texas isn't going to stay red for very much longer.

They know that.

Democrats and Republicans have been arguing this demographic shift for years. What about today? If you don't start making inroads now then that shift will never happen as those groups haven't historically voted in reliable numbers. 

This shit irks me beyond belief as it makes democrats lazy and justifies their poor showing instead of trying to mobilize supporters now.  

Edited by Washpark
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Don't be mad because you are shitty at trolling. Keep your head down, work hard, and before you know it you'll be a great troll. 

In the off chance you aren't trolling: Jesus titty fucking Christ. 

Well despite it being the fight you want to have, I’m not trolling. Further, it’s sad you use the Lord’s name in vain for some reason.