Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

“I would like Texas to be the example, to be the bridge over the small stuff, the partisanship, the bickering, the pettiness, the meanness, the name-calling, the bigotry, the racism, the hatred, the anxiety, and the paranoia that dominates so much of the national conversation today,” he implored them, catching his breath. “I would love for us to be the big, bold, confident, ambitious, big-hearted, aspirational answer to all that small, weak crap that dominates the national news every single night that has kept us from who we are supposed to be as a country.”

Amen, Beto.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Washpark said:

Having young kids is fun at rallies, but they don't show up to polls. 

I think this may start to shift due to social media.  Kids are way more aware now about the state of the world in general and due to the bullshittery that dotus has brought out, I think it may facilitate a much greater participation rate.  That said, it's our job to make sure people get out.  Go fucking vote.  It fucking matters.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think this may start to shift due to social media.  Kids are way more aware now about the state of the world in general and due to the bullshittery that dotus has brought out, I think it may facilitate a much greater participation rate.  That said, it's our job to make sure people get out.  Go fucking vote.  It fucking matters.

I think this is true too that they will be more motivated to vote than usual.  I worry about the actual procedural hurdles to voting, like being registered.  

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Amen, Beto.

Indeed.

There's a choice in this country -- we can vote for leaders who think/speak like Beto.....or we can vote for charlatans who run on hate and negativity, like Trump and Cruz.

Thus, my despair.  If you made me go to Vegas and bet everything I own on one or the other, right now.....I'd bet against the Beto way.  I still believe that the path to victory in this country is "when they go low, we go lower and kick them and their kids in the balls, and laugh at them while we do it."  It's the proven winner.

But man, that's a bet I'd LOVE to lose.

I don’t think social media saturation/likes/follows means much— there have been studies done that show there isn’t a huge uptick/correlation between liking/following things as there is in participation which spawned the term “Slacktivism”— but I think that kids actually showing up to political events is the indicator of success. Especially as someone mentioned, it was the day before classes started, where the 18-23 demographic definitely has options and excuses to not be available to turn out, but yet still did in droves.

follow up tweet:

More imperfect people need to run for office. We need to eliminate the idea of “perfect” candidates - there’s no such thing. What matters are your values and the platform you’re fighting for. When the opposition goes into personal nonsense, it’s because they‘re empty handed.

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Because it's the right one.

Well yeah but it's remarkable how much trigger power AOC has right now.  

She merely tweeted out a dig at the GOP using the attacks on Beto as an example and it's "ermagerd wtf are you doing?! stay the hell out of Texas yankee commie!" 

On 8/28/2018 at 10:01 AM, Bottlecap said:

this should be a nice Beto bump ...

For 2020

On 8/28/2018 at 11:07 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Ellen is syndicated and beamed into the living room of every bored housewife in Texas.  He'll have more exposure (to a demographic he'll need) in that 7 minute interview than he did in the previous 6 months of campaigning combined.   Google tells me that Ellen averages 3.9 million viewers a show. 

Not to mention all that Hollywood money that is about to tsunami in.

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Well yeah but it's remarkable how much trigger power AOC has right now.  

She merely tweeted out a dig at the GOP using the attacks on Beto as an example and it's "ermagerd wtf are you doing?! stay the hell out of Texas yankee commie!" 

Part of the appeal of Beto for independents and moderate Republicans is his "Texans for Texas" vibe. It's the opposite of Ted Cruz, who just wants the office for use as a national platform. The objection is more about people not wanting outsiders to meddle with something that is working.

You just need to deal with your Bobby Jindal's and we'll deal with the Ted Cruz's.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

And for the record, for the most part I think Beto has done very well at avoiding land mines and coming across decently to people who might not agree with him down the line on all issues, but I think it’s going to get more difficult for that to continue.  You look at his website, and his positions on economic policy, free higher education, healthcare, immigration, guns, etc., are all in line with the national Democrats.  He’s already put himself out there pretty firmly on gun control, and eventually he will be forced to dig in on the specifics of his policies on the other issues in more high profile settings.  

The “I’m just a nice guy talking in generalities about being civil and positive change” portion of his campaign will end at some point, and he is going to say things that rub a lot of Texas voters who might be warming to him the wrong way when pinned down on policy.  If those are his true beliefs, then good for him, but tactically it’s a problem in Texas.  Not insurmountable, because people are way more flexible on ideology and way more drawn to personality than we like to admit, and he crushes Cruz there, but it’s still a problem.

However, Cruz seems determined to act like a Trumpkin in this campaign, so maybe it won’t matter and they’ll just debate Colin Kaepernick until November.

Yes, the problem here is Cruz doesn't have any speaking point but KEEP TEXAS RED scare tactics.  Beto is speaking out on his policies and will do so more.  While that may or may not help him, at least he is putting stuff out there for discussion, whereas Cruz isn't.  So hopefully if they keep asking Beto on position stances, they will do the same for TC. 

But Beto hasn't bent.  Cruz is coming along like the senior in high school, feeling entitled to doing things his way (debates are a great example) but Beto is having none of it.  He is clearly stating why he isn't debating, not cowering from Cruz's arrogant approach.  And he is able to do this in a way that keeps him on the high road and keeps Cruz on the low one.  I think the word is aplomb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Beto's campaign seems very aware of this issue.  The last month looks to be about get out the vote.  My guess is that they will strongly encourage many to vote early to avoid people not showing up on election day.  "why wait, vote now" type of message.

2 hours ago, Washpark said:

Democrats and Republicans have been arguing this demographic shift for years. What about today? If you don't start making inroads now then that shift will never happen as those groups haven't historically voted in reliable numbers. 

This shit irks me beyond belief as it makes democrats lazy and justifies their poor showing instead of trying to mobilize supporters now.  

If you went back to the 90s and told my 18 year-old self that Fort Bend County was going to be solid Hillary country come 2016, I would have asked what kind of drug you were on.

Yes, that's only one county, but in the past 15 years, Texas has flipped to a minority-majority state, and whites make up less than 45% of the state.

The pool of white voters is shrinking.

And many of us here can remember when Democrats ran the state.  Texas hasn't been red for 50 years or anything.

getting way the fuck in front of where we are currently, I how much of it is static friction of democrat votes in Texas being pointless.  If we elect a D to the senate, is there some meaningful percentage of Texan voters who begin showing up to the polls on a regular basis who did not previously?

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

getting way the fuck in front of where we are currently, I how much of it is static friction of democrat votes in Texas being pointless.  If we elect a D to the senate, is there some meaningful percentage of Texan voters who begin showing up to the polls on a regular basis who did not previously?

I mean, folks are starting to get "papers please"-ed just because they have different color skin. I think some new voters are getting mobilized.

Just now, Celery Man said:

I think the result is going to matter quite a bit.  A win will make the D voters optimistic and willing to keep doing it.  Another loss after Wendy Davis's much hyped and ultimately useless run could be pretty demoralizing.  Ds will try to spin it as a close loss, we're almost there! but I bet it would be tough to overcome Scoreboard.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Indeed.

There's a choice in this country -- we can vote for leaders who think/speak like Beto.....or we can vote for charlatans who run on hate and negativity, like Trump and Cruz.

haha.  that's all the Left has focused upon is the negative while spewing hatred and division.

Texas would be bold not to succumb to the 'Liberal of the next campaign' program.

Just now, slorch said:

that's all the Left has focused upon is the negative while spewing hatred and division.

Please cite to the hatred and division 1) from Beto, who 2) is being embraced by millions on "the left" as exactly what we need and want in our leaders.

Go ahead, we'll give you a minute to stop stepping on your own dick to find some support for your statement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

haha.  that's all the Left has focused upon is the negative while spewing hatred and division.

Texas would be bold not to succumb to the 'Liberal of the next campaign' program.

So now we know you have paid exactly 0 attention to Beto vs. Cruz. Thanks for your valued insight.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Please cite to the hatred and division 1) from Beto, who 2) is being embraced by millions on "the left" as exactly what we need and want in our leaders.

Go ahead, we'll give you a minute to stop stepping on your own dick to find some support for your statement.

Fuck your condescending attitude.  Seriously.  Go fuck yourself.  Sorry to insult your little Jesus...  and yeah, Slorch just made it all up.

https://newrepublic.com/article/128808/everybody-hates-ted

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/07/30/texans-hate-donald-trump-could-propel-beto-orourkes-senate-bid-ted-cruz

https://theslot.jezebel.com/people-hate-ted-cruz-6-7-million-much-1824289471

Not even a "both sides" on spreading hate and division. Just the left is doing it, huh? Sorry your raider rash on the brain hasn't cleared up yet.

Edited by Captainant