Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

8 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

It amazes me that Cruz is the favorite in nearly every poll yet on a Texas-based forum not one poster is willing to champion for this guy. I guess the majority of his supporters are moving in silence and impulsively voting for the home team.

Johnny Sack is a Cruz supporter and contributed $10,000 to his campaign. 

Well, echo chamber, weak net banking system, etc. However, the point stands that even among the Cruz supporters who have waded in, its been maybe literally 100% name talk, dui talk, “burglary” talk (at times fabricated from the factual charge of burglary that represented trespassing to “he was convicted of home invasion”), California money, etc. Not a bit of what is good about Cruz. Maybe there has been some edging into that with gun control talk, although even that has been centered around misrepresentations of Beto’s stance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Well, echo chamber, weak net banking system, etc. However, the point stands that even among the Cruz supporters who have waded in, its been maybe literally 100% name talk, dui talk, “burglary” talk (at times fabricated from the factual charge of burglary that represented trespassing to “he was convicted of home invasion”), California money, etc. Not a bit of what is good about Cruz. Maybe there has been some edging into that with gun control talk, although even that has been centered around misrepresentations of Beto’s stance.

Also anything positive or pro Cruz/trump is met with vitriol and accusations of trolling so I would imagine most just avoid engaging. I’m talking about the adults not the embarrassing iconos, tahoe and onboards of the surly world.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Also anything positive or pro Cruz/trump is met with vitriol and accusations of trolling so I would imagine most just avoid engaging

Anxiously awaiting list of perceived positives.

tenor.gif

Fair, although I don’t know if it has been tried re Cruz, and there has been plenty of trolling.  I think at one point Stros or someone was trying to make a point about selective condemnation of cultural appropriation, which is wrong here imo but also different than trolling.  He was scudded if trolling, but to be fair he (or whoever it was) was someone who had previously trolled on the same topic in the same thread.

I think they’ve been listed. People who are conservatives/republicans view as positives:

pro guns/2nd Ammendent

pro tax cuts

school vouchers (I like this one)

Not taxing people that to pay for others free community college and healthcare and whatever else liberals want to be free

ally in Christian values (vs abortions and LGBT mania)

Im not saying these are universally pro, but they have their place and should be respected is my point. The fact that people think the above makes you less than a human being and harass you about it means people probably don’t engage unless they enjoy learning or have a stomach for conflict (like Chrispy and Johnny sack it seems). I say all this in conjunction with BruhMans comment of “where are all these silent republicans?”

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Colin is a good guy and worthy of your vote. He’s worth a google.

Are we ever going to come to terms this cookie is trolling? For all his posting in this forum he literally knew nothing about Beto or Allred??? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

That's one of the things I've found it is good to mention.  People don't realize that this is just straight up popular vote.  "I don't need to vote, he'll win Austin".  Nah, it's this crazy thing where your vote matters.

To be honest, people that stupid should not be allowed to vote.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

It amazes me that Cruz is the favorite in nearly every poll yet on a Texas-based forum not one poster is willing to champion for this guy. I guess the majority of his supporters are moving in silence and impulsively voting for the home team.

I believe most of the republicans in here don’t think much of Cruz and can’t defend his record or actions.   Cruz’s main and only value is that ultimately votes with trump and McConnell 100% of the time.     And you can say that only so many times.

a few Cruz supporters post on this thread from time to time.  I imagine  a whole bunch of them will come back on Election Day gloating when Cruz most likely wins. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Are we ever going to come to terms this cookie is trolling? For all his posting in this forum he literally knew nothing about Beto or Allred??? 

Exhibit A ladies and gentlemen! You are a troll for just about anything that doesn’t meet the standards of expectations of others I guess.

But I wonder how much this JS1 guy is just trying to troll me because he doesn’t like me. Every accusation is a confession, as he’s fond to overuse.

Frankly I've come around to thinking that OatmealCookie is sincere. Or an excellent troll, but I thought he was trolling for a while (and that he was possibly RubyMan/ctcj) and now I don't think that he is.  He strikes me as a "church friends have always been my social group" (not an attack, oatmeal) dude who is being sucked into arguing/posting about this stuff because of the political/social climate in America, and actually does not know that Allred is running against Sessions in (apparently) his district (also that's a bingo I was thinking "plano or some conservative suburb of a major city"), or who either of those guys are.

Oatmeal - I disagree with a lot of the issues you posted, but I "get" it.  I would dislike much less intensely having a representative who championed those values but wasn't a demagogue/idealogue and had more respect for people who disagree with him.  I disagree a lot with Cruz, but I hate how little respect he has for other humans, as evidenced by his tone, actions, and the wake of people in his trail who will never shut up about how insufferable he is.  It would be justice in my view if he at some point realizes exactly why he will never achieve his political ambition - his brain has enough CPU but he has no ability to interface with humans and that's what the fucking job is.

I think the anti gun control people are wrong about the ineffectiveness of gun control because I believe that the evidence points that way. 

I think that abortion specifically is bad/tragic, but societally it will be massively more negative for it to be illegal (especially given the collateral damage that will be done to women's health and the needed health services that women will lose access to). 

I don't want to get to a scandinavian system where we are paying a majority or close to it of our earnings to the government, but I think that on the critical issues of education and healthcare we've reached a point where government intervention to "unbreak" the system is needed (and am not motivated by a tax cut that seemed to be trivial to me, although I am not incredibly educated on the ins and outs of the Trump tax cuts).  If something were to pass to try to take away money I've socked into retirement for years, I would go nuclear.

I see school vouchers as part of a larger effort to defund schools.  I've talked to Ted Cruz type folks who want to "free market" everything from schools to roads.  That is insane.  If parents can take their tax dollars and go send them to a school where history lessons come straight out of Exodus, lets call it what it is and let non parents keep their money and stop educating the brown people full stop.  Everyone benefits from public schools, they are currently under attack especially in Texas, we need to help them not hurt them.

I was raised Methodist and that is still predominant in my value structure.  I strongly disagree that the GOP represents Christian values.  You can't be a single issue value holder in Christianity, unless maybe that value is to treat others as you would have them treat you.  The current GOP does not represent that value.

In a broader sense, maybe more to Buzzrock's post - I also don't believe in the effectiveness of private charity in orchestrating solutions to massive problems.  Like healthcare and education.  Hoover sat on his hands during the outbreak of the depression because he thought the private sector would swoop in.  That's why they called Hoovervilles Hoovervilles.  Churches and charities are not going to fix schools and healthcare.  I am enormously skeptical of anything "free" that comes from the government, but right now people are being taken advantage of and we (the people) are getting a raw deal in those areas.  They need to be fixed, the government is the only entity that has the tools to do it.

That new Linklater ad has been posted a lot, I'm not sure if we've shared the "context" of it in this thread, from Richard Linklater's "Bernie".  B+ movie, gets an additional handicap for Texans, and this scene is the best part and should always be shared

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ERhine said:

You’re a troll because you’ve had this bullshit alternating/contradictory posts for months in this thread. What’s Beto stand for? Why do y’all support him? I’m voting for Beto!!!! Who is Beto? I Like Cruz! What about this bad thing regarding Beto? I’m sitting out the election. Let me ask this question straight for Cruz talking points. Etc. You’re all over the place in an attempt to troll. It is apparent to anyone who has seen of all your posts on this thread.

Calling you a troll has nothing to do with conservative beliefs, rather it’s related to the pretend intellectual curiosity that you hide behind to “just ask questions”.

Okay well, I’m not going to waste a lot of energy defending myself from people who have their minds made up, but this is just wrong. I guess I can see where you’d think this however if you have seen intermittent posts and not all of them.

Regardless, I’ll just say that not everyone who posts (or reads and doesn’t post on these threads) is a political junkie or wonk and knows the things you guys take for granted. Hell I didn’t even understand the concept or how things like polls and surveys worked before this thread. 

5 minutes ago, ERhine said:

You’re a troll because you’ve had this bullshit alternating/contradictory posts for months in this thread. What’s Beto stand for? Why do y’all support him? I’m voting for Beto!!!! Who is Beto? I Like Cruz! What about this bad thing regarding Beto? I’m sitting out the election. Let me ask this question straight for Cruz talking points. Etc. You’re all over the place in an attempt to troll. It is apparent to anyone who has seen of all your posts on this thread.

Calling you a troll has nothing to do with conservative beliefs, rather it’s related to the pretend intellectual curiosity that you hide behind to “just ask questions”.

Object to form!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I was raised Methodist and that is still predominant in my value structure.

I’m such a flawed human being that this part made me think “bless his heart, this is why he’s lost on some things!” Even religion is provincial and can get us twisted around the axle, is my point.

personally, especially as of late, it’s been difficult to reconcile republican actions with my Christian ideals. I agree with most who think there is a lot of horribleness and anti-Christian things going on. Frankly, it’s the same with the a Democrats as well. I think that’s why it’s easy for religious people to check out and just say Gross. I don’t want to get my hands dirty by getting involved in either parties even if I consider one or the other the lesser of the two evils, both are evil.

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’m such a flawed human being that this part made me think “bless his heart, this is why he’s lost on some things!” Even religion is provincial and can get us twisted around the axle, is my point.

Baptist or Presbyterian?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Frankly I've come around to thinking that OatmealCookie is sincere. Or an excellent troll, but I thought he was trolling for a while (and that he was possibly RubyMan/ctcj) and now I don't think that he is.  He strikes me as a "church friends have always been my social group" (not an attack, oatmeal) dude who is being sucked into arguing/posting about this stuff because of the political/social climate in America, and actually does not know that Allred is running against Sessions in (apparently) his district (also that's a bingo I was thinking "plano or some conservative suburb of a major city"), or who either of those guys are.

Oatmeal - I disagree with a lot of the issues you posted, but I "get" it.  I would dislike much less intensely having a representative who championed those values but wasn't a demagogue/idealogue and had more respect for people who disagree with him.  I disagree a lot with Cruz, but I hate how little respect he has for other humans, as evidenced by his tone, actions, and the wake of people in his trail who will never shut up about how insufferable he is.  It would be justice in my view if he at some point realizes exactly why he will never achieve his political ambition - his brain has enough CPU but he has no ability to interface with humans and that's what the fucking job is.

I think the anti gun control people are wrong about the ineffectiveness of gun control because I believe that the evidence points that way. 

I think that abortion specifically is bad/tragic, but societally it will be massively more negative for it to be illegal (especially given the collateral damage that will be done to women's health and the needed health services that women will lose access to). 

I don't want to get to a scandinavian system where we are paying a majority or close to it of our earnings to the government, but I think that on the critical issues of education and healthcare we've reached a point where government intervention to "unbreak" the system is needed (and am not motivated by a tax cut that seemed to be trivial to me, although I am not incredibly educated on the ins and outs of the Trump tax cuts).  If something were to pass to try to take away money I've socked into retirement for years, I would go nuclear.

I see school vouchers as part of a larger effort to defund schools.  I've talked to Ted Cruz type folks who want to "free market" everything from schools to roads.  That is insane.  If parents can take their tax dollars and go send them to a school where history lessons come straight out of Exodus, lets call it what it is and let non parents keep their money and stop educating the brown people full stop.  Everyone benefits from public schools, they are currently under attack especially in Texas, we need to help them not hurt them.

I was raised Methodist and that is still predominant in my value structure.  I strongly disagree that the GOP represents Christian values.  You can't be a single issue value holder in Christianity, unless maybe that value is to treat others as you would have them treat you.  The current GOP does not represent that value.

In a broader sense, maybe more to Buzzrock's post - I also don't believe in the effectiveness of private charity in orchestrating solutions to massive problems.  Like healthcare and education.  Hoover sat on his hands during the outbreak of the depression because he thought the private sector would swoop in.  That's why they called Hoovervilles Hoovervilles.  Churches and charities are not going to fix schools and healthcare.  I am enormously skeptical of anything "free" that comes from the government, but right now people are being taken advantage of and we (the people) are getting a raw deal in those areas.  They need to be fixed, the government is the only entity that has the tools to do it.

That new Linklater ad has been posted a lot, I'm not sure if we've shared the "context" of it in this thread, from Richard Linklater's "Bernie".  B+ movie, gets an additional handicap for Texans, and this scene is the best part and should always be shared

Holy shit I'm not reading all of that, but I'm liking because someone remembered that was the same guy from Bernie (and also the asshole customer who got Judge Reinhold fired on Fast Times).

Every Texan should see Bernie. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I believe most of the republicans in here don’t think much of Cruz and can’t defend his record or actions.   Cruz’s main and only value is that ultimately votes with trump and McConnell 100% of the time.     And you can say that only so many times.

a few Cruz supporters post on this thread from time to time.  I imagine  a whole bunch of them will come back on Election Day gloating when Cruz most likely wins. 

Just like the BK thread the past few days.  

25 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Holy shit I'm not reading all of that, but I'm liking because someone remembered that was the same guy from Bernie (and also the asshole customer who got Judge Reinhold fired on Fast Times).

Every Texan should see Bernie. 

Just saw that clip for first time, funny stuff. Dallas snobs with dem Mercedes

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Don't forget (((Soros)))

11 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

My wife and I were talking today about how much younger Beto looked against chunky Cruz.  I had no idea so I looked it up....

Cruz is exactly 1 year 9 months and 4 days older than Beto.  I would have put the gap at 7-8 years.

One of them takes care of himself.

The other is a Canadian Cuban.

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

That's one of the things I've found it is good to mention.  People don't realize that this is just straight up popular vote.  "I don't need to vote, he'll win Austin".  Nah, it's this crazy thing where your vote matters.

Its amazing the people that think that. There are also those people who will post a map showing all the red counties so and so won, not realizing that some of those counties in Texas have 113 total residents. Its neat and all that you win a county, but these elections are based on the actual vote - we don't have some sort of county electoral college.

8 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I think they’ve been listed. People who are conservatives/republicans view as positives:

pro guns/2nd Ammendent

pro tax cuts

school vouchers (I like this one)

Not taxing people that to pay for others free community college and healthcare and whatever else liberals want to be free

ally in Christian values (vs abortions and LGBT mania)

Im not saying these are universally pro, but they have their place and should be respected is my point. The fact that people think the above makes you less than a human being and harass you about it means people probably don’t engage unless they enjoy learning or have a stomach for conflict (like Chrispy and Johnny sack it seems). I say all this in conjunction with BruhMans comment of “where are all these silent republicans?”

Well, I hate to break it to you but the younger generation is fine with paying more taxes in order to get things like healthcare, education, public services, etc. The newer voting subset has a higher sense of community when it comes to taxes. I think you may get a taste of this in the midterms.

21M additional eligible voters will come online by 2020 and by then there be about 3M fewer voters on the back end (based on avg death rate). The voting landscape of the nation is changing and it will suit a younger generation. Might as well lay back and enjoy it.

Does anyone know the scope of the NYTimes live poll in terms of how many more people they will call, or how many responses they are targeting:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/elections-poll-txsen-2.html?action=click&contentCollection=upshot&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

I find this incredibly fascinating.  The map of the responses are surprising.  It's only ~500 across the entire state with Cruz getting decent support in the Valley and Beto having more support in the western half of the state than I thought he would get.   It would be great if they either kept this going for a few more days or even as long as 2000 responses.  

Few other points on the poll

• the north houston suburbs look solid red.  wish they would give more precise data than just dots superimposed over each other
  • the map makes it difficult to tell if Austin has been well represented in the poll as the city is covered by the name, "Austin"
  • 53%-44% is a large lead BUT with these responses it's 279-231.  As I wrote above, hopefully they are targeting 1000 if not 2000 responses to get a more precise picture

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

2 Beto signs on my street of ~40 houses.  It’s a Hispanic family (Honduran iirc) and an AA family. Not the only Hispanic or AA family on the street, but those 2 are. Only 1 Cruz sign.  

Lots of folks in 60’s though, would guess most are red.  I know the few under 40 neighbors I have are all straight ticket R.  Most are O&G and attorneys. Fort Bend. 

7 Beto signs on my Street - 20 houses.

but i am in Central Austin where Beto signs grow like weeds. - only the 'Stop Code Next' signs in 2017 rival Beto!

Edited by yoladu

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Does anyone know the scope of the NYTimes live poll in terms of how many more people they will call, or how many responses they are targeting:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/elections-poll-txsen-2.html?action=click&contentCollection=upshot&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

I find this incredibly fascinating.  The map of the responses are surprising.  It's only ~500 across the entire state with Cruz getting decent support in the Valley and Beto having more support in the western half of the state than I thought he would get.   It would be great if they either kept this going for a few more days or even as long as 2000 responses.  

Few other points on the poll

• the north houston suburbs look solid red.  wish they would give more precise data than just dots superimposed over each other
  • the map makes it difficult to tell if Austin has been well represented in the poll as the city is covered by the name, "Austin"
  • 53%-44% is a large lead BUT with these responses it's 279-231.  As I wrote above, hopefully they are targeting 1000 if not 2000 responses to get a more precise picture

One thing about these NYT live polls is they "model" various scenarios depending on potential turnout.  If you scroll all the way down, you will see the various "if the electorate looks like 14/16;" "people who say they will definitely vote, etc." but only the top-line ever gets trumpeted. 

My concern is the rural fellows I grew up with.  We could have the best possible person for everyone’s sake run.  Someone who would make everyone millionaires, and they could have a 70 point lead in Texas, but if they said anything about maybe possibly looking at the remote possibility that we should regulate RPGs (never mind they are already) or threaten  bump stocks for a Red Ryder, they are fucked.

12 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

My wife and I were talking today about how much younger Beto looked against chunky Cruz.  I had no idea so I looked it up....

Cruz is exactly 1 year 9 months and 4 days older than Beto.  I would have put the gap at 7-8 years.

i was shocked when I learned that Cruz was only 47 years old.

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

My concern is the rural fellows I grew up with.  We could have the best possible person for everyone’s sake run.  Someone who would make everyone millionaires, and they could have a 70 point lead in Texas, but if they said anything about maybe possibly looking at the remote possibility that we should regulate RPGs (never mind they are already) or threaten  bump stocks for a Red Ryder, they are fucked.

Republicans have been much better on the gun issue.  They're fairly consistent across the country on their message.  I'm sure there are some areas where Republicans have to be more liberal or moderate but they've done a good job of keeping that quiet.  Dems on the other hand have allowed their most liberal gun messaging to be the loudest.  The result is even when Beto says he's not interested in taking anyone's guns away, some voters say he's now lying about his stance.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

With most of these folks, you could ask them to write down their stances on important issues and then run on that exact platform next election, and they still wouldn't vote for you if you had a D by your name.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Not completely germane, but reminded of the ground campaign canvassing. 

A young, white, male, nerdy/hipster looking dude rang my doorbell the other night and was canvassing for a guy named Colin Allred. I'd never heard of the guy, didn't know him from Adam, and no idea if he was R or D, but the guy basically said "canvassing for Colin Allred, have you heard of him?" I said no, he said oh okay, well you can look him up and i hope you vote for him bye.

lol, either he figured he needed to move on because I had no idea who his guy was and I was a waste of space or he was lazy/shy.

Make no mistake, you are a waste of space.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As a part time right wing “troll” I can say this is the hardest thread to wade into. Beto has y’all riled up. 

• Like 1

Questions for Cruz voters: 

Does it bother you that a person that claims he is "Tough as Texas", backs out of an agreed upon town hall with Beto? That Ted plays it safe in such a cowardly fashion? Do think that's toughness? Do you think he represents the essence of being Texan?

How about the fact that Cruz is universally hated by everyone - R or D - in Washington? That the guy they all snicker about behind his back has TEXAS attached to his name. You're ok with that? And spare me any sort of "outsider" angle, Cruz would fuck a goat if it guaranteed an election win. 

• Like 1