Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

8 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Yeah, I was pretty much one of those dumbasses for a long, long time. It's a shame. Mostly born of ignorance, intellectual laziness, religious, family and community influence and a lot of status quo thinking. Glad I've moved on from it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/podcasts/the-daily/white-evangelical-women-trump-beto-texas.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fthe-daily&action=click&contentCollection=podcasts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

I listened to this 30 minute podcast about an evangelical similar to you who grew up voting R in Texas. Decent listen but nothing we don't already know if you're from Texas. She's voting Democrat for the first time this year btw.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thepop said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/podcasts/the-daily/white-evangelical-women-trump-beto-texas.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fthe-daily&action=click&contentCollection=podcasts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

I listened to this 30 minute podcast about an evangelical similar to you who grew up voting R in Texas. Decent listen but nothing we don't already know if you're from Texas. She's voting Democrat for the first time this year btw.

Pretty much describes me, my wife and most of our siblings and their families. Our parents have not made the switch, nor do I ever expect them too. If anything, this year they've dug their heels in even farther in favor of the Republicans. After all, according to my dad (via DeSouza)there are some striking parallels between Donald Trump and Abraham Lincoln, don't ya know.

15 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Pretty much describes me, my wife and most of our siblings and their families. Our parents have not made the switch, nor do I ever expect them too. If anything, this year they've dug their heels in even farther in favor of the Republicans. After all, according to my dad (via DeSouza)there are some striking parallels between Donald Trump and Abraham Lincoln, don't ya know.

Beto is going to need voters like this in order to win.  If he wins, the flaw is that the polls either missed or barely touched on this sentiment.  Which makes sense.   A poll might speak to 500 people to represent 7.2m Texas.  Speak to 1 or 2 people in a smaller region, and make assumptions about the remaining 15000 regional voters.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Beto is going to need voters like this in order to win.  If he wins, the flaw is that the polls either missed or barely touched on this sentiment.  Which makes sense.   A poll might speak to 500 people to represent 7.2m Texas.  Speak to 1 or 2 people in a smaller region, and make assumptions about the remaining 15000 regional voters.

Yup, doing the math for my family, I think it's fair to say that in a typical election in the past we would have collectively voted something like 15-5 in favor of Republicans. That number is flipped this year. Hoping there are lots more like us, and I wonder if the polls would pick up on that sort of phenomenon. I guess we'll find out in a little over 24 hours.

6 hours ago, Jack said:

Come to the table and work with the seated President and compromise where you can.  There has been zero attempt to do that by the dems just like there was severe resistance by the tea party.  If you can't do that (regardless of party) then you are acting like a fucking child that didn't get their way.  Stop trying to make the country fail and offer some constructive ideas.

Wait. Are we still talking about the same guy who had a well publicized cross country trip in the snow with Will Hurd? Me thinks you might be projecting things onto Beto that aren't true. I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m interested to learn how increased regulation led to record oil production, which led to a collapse in oil prices, which led to the bust that is still fresh in everyone’s minds.

Something something tan suits, fox news, black muslim something something.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:57 AM, Stringer said:

Not showing his face in any of the photos.  Fucking cowards.  Wouldn’t expect anything less

Oh he showed his face ( and his 2 brothers' faces) in the post he made on Instagram.

DrFzB0sVsAE0hFl.jpg

The Commandant has already dealt with him. He's being passed onto the honor code council where I'm sure he'll be punished again. And I bet he gets a few months worth of restricted weekends, marching tours and corrective physical education. If any homeowner wanted to press charges, I don't see an issue, but I think so far he's getting punished enough. He appears to have aspirations of joining the Marines and this might be a good lesson for him.

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Oh he showed his face ( and his 2 brothers' faces) in the post he made on Instagram.

DrFzB0sVsAE0hFl.jpg

The Commandant has already dealt with him. He's being passed onto the honor code council where I'm sure he'll be punished again. And I bet he gets a few months worth of restricted weekends, marching tours and corrective physical education. If any homeowner wanted to press charges, I don't see an issue, but I think so far he's getting punished enough. He appears to have aspirations of joining the Marines and this might be a good lesson for him.

He'll get the dreaded punishment of wearing the red sash of shame.

RVs+-+edit.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

DrFzB0sVsAE0hFl.jpg

The Marines are looking for a few good men, not fucking snowflakes who are upset by political signs. 

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

The Marines are looking for a few good men, not fucking snowflakes who are upset by political signs. 

Marines have died face down in the mud getting kicked by an iron boot to protect the right of that Aggie to discourage political expression as a part of that Aggie's right to free speech. Stupid sip libtard.

2 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Yeah, I was pretty much one of those dumbasses for a long, long time. It's a shame. Mostly born of ignorance, intellectual laziness, religious, family and community influence and a lot of status quo thinking. Glad I've moved on from it.

My friend's wife is Pakistani. Raised Georgia and her parents are very conservative. She says she always votes R across the board because it would disappoint her family. She has lived  away from her family in Texas for 10 years now, and her husband is voting Beto.

Her position:
anti wall - check
pro DACA - check
gay rights - check
gun regulation change - check
Ted Cruz is an asshole - check

Her husbands looks at her and says, "you do realize you are a democrat, right?" She agreed to watch some of the debates with him, but I doubt she will change her mind. At least she was willing to listen so maybe she will.

2 hours ago, thepop said:

Anyone here actually waiting till tomorrow to vote?

My wife is voting tomorrow morning; hasn't had a chance to early vote and she's off tomorrow. Chalk up another vote for Beto, and another who had never voted in the midterms

Edited by Mez2
  • Like 6

Just now, JimmyJames said:

My dad is a big time trump supporter who hates Cruz but is officially neutral on Beto/Cruz because Beto wants to impeach trump. So I guess that’s a victory?

Hes also voting for Lupe Valdez because he can’t stand Abbot. Go figure. 

I would hate Lupe being governor just a little less than I hate Abbot as governor.