Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

Wore my Beto shirt at the fancy 2 story HEB in Bellaire. Got some side eyes from the olds but one old lady did say she liked my shirt. I think it’s because I got something off the top shelf for her

I think the side eye was for another reason. I take it you aren’t Jewish or Asian or a WASP

4 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Wore my Beto shirt at the fancy 2 story HEB in Bellaire. Got some side eyes from the olds but one old lady did say she liked my shirt. I think it’s because I got something off the top shelf for her

went to Brodie HEB today in my Beto shirt and an older ministerial looking black man said "I really like that shirt.", soooo we're cool *fist bump*

32 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

went to Brodie HEB today in my Beto shirt and an older ministerial looking black man said "I really like that shirt.", soooo we're cool *fist bump*

Oh, hai, neighbor!

I'm in Rochester NY right now and spent most of the day moving my daughter into her freshman dorm. This afternoon, the school had a question/answer session with some administrators and whatnot. Near the end of the session, I stood up and asked a question about some mundane shit that y'all don't care about.

Afterward, some little old lady from Boston who was there for her grandkid, came up to me and asked what my "Beto" t-shirt meant. I told her he's a US Congressman from El Paso who's running for Senate against Ted Cruz in Texas. She was immediately delighted and said something to the effect that she was hoping that's what my t-shirt meant.

The word is getting out if little old white ladies from Boston are rooting for Beto from afar.

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

In all fairness, if the tracks are close together they could be from a drag-behind oxygen bottle.

Or a Rascal scooter.

Shame those things aren't connected to the internet.  If somebody put out some malware that disabled those things on Election Day, this country would be better off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Unfortunately, the current Beto supporting white folks will also become old and scared shitless of everything and will shift right. Hopefully in smaller numbers, but just sayin'.

Forever, voters have aged and become more conservative with each passing decade. Nothing changes because one group of olds is replaced by the next. I think the dramatic shift in Texas happens when old white generations start being replaced by a more diverse generation. As each generation of olds is more diverse than the previous, it will become harder to scare them with things like ms 13 or whatever the racebaiting ploy of the day is. In fact, many will be straight ticket dems because of what is happening right now. 

It makes sense that most old people are "conservative" and they usually want everything to stay the same or roll back changes so that the glorious past comes back.    The only reform that most old people would want are reforming SS and Medicare to give them more.  Any other reform isn't needed.  

Beto can probably play up to some old women as Cruz is so unlikeable.

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It makes sense that most old people are "conservative" and they usually want everything to stay the same or roll back changes so that the glorious past comes back.    The only reform that most old people would want are reforming SS and Medicare to give them more.  Any other reform isn't needed.  

Beto can probably play up to some old women as Cruz is so unlikeable.

That all sounds nice.Nice and broad as hell.

It could never be the voice of experience, could it? And why does reform always involve raising our taxes?

“Nah, them oldsters are just dumb as fuck and stubborn as a mule. They shouldn’t even really count in the elections. WTF do they know?”

Similar to what Tantric said, there’s plenty of older, boomer libs.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I think there is a difference between the general "old people are conservative and are replaced by more old people when they die" thing and the current political atmosphere as it relates to the current crop of old people.  Or at least I hope so.

I think so.

I don't see Gen X and Millenials getting older and suddenly becoming socially conservative. They've also been fucked so hard by the trickle down bullshit and GOP-caused recessions, I don't see them suddenly becoming "fiscal conservatives" since that doesn't exist anymore. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think so.

I don't see Gen X and Millenials getting older and suddenly becoming socially conservative. They've also been fucked so hard by the trickle down bullshit and GOP-caused recessions, I don't see them suddenly becoming "fiscal conservatives" since that doesn't exist anymore. 

This.  It's going to be a lot different world for many of them than what their parents and grandparents grew up in.   Jobs will be disappearing due robotics, going offshore, computerization.  Much more student loan debt to overcome.  Higher debt burden personally and nationally.  As technology advances it will further separate the haves from the have nots.  There will have to be a readjustment of our valuation system, in what and how we value.  Once that begins then econo-political system will change as well. 

I just got an email that Beto made a 1.27 million TV ad buy spread across the state. Ads will start showing up this week.
With all the national attention he's getting and the raise tightening, his final fundraising is going to be through the roof. Gonna be a lot more $1 million ad buys.

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think so.

I've been out of college for almost a decade.  The kids who were conservative in college are moreso now.  The kids who were liberal in college are moreso now.  The kids who didn't care about politics either still don't or generally lean a bit liberal.

It's crazy to me that in these highly partisan times, where Fox spends 23 hours a day claiming that liberals are literally Hitler, there are people who still think there will be millions of liberals who just decide one day to turn conservative.  It's not gonna happen.

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think so.

A whole lot of these scared older conservatives are living on pensions that many Gen X and Millenial types will never see. That alone will have serious ramifications political and economic, in 20-30 years. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 9:29 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

“We still have a lot to worry about. Everyone knows we have a real election on our hands,” Cruz said at the Underwood’s campaign stop. “This is a divided and polarized time in our country and the far left are energized. They’re angry. Many of them hate our president." ----- Ted Cruz at Underwoods yesterday

"I'm going to tell you what I really think of Donald Trump. This man is a pathological liar. He doesn't know the difference between truth and lies. He lies practically   every word that comes out of his mouth. And in a pattern that I think is straight out of a psychology textbook, his response is to accuse everybody else of lying.

The wind blew a different direction. The Cuban Canadian changed his rhetoric to go with the wind. Same old Rafael Edward Cruz as always.

Anyone interested in giving and coming to a private Beto event shoot me a PM. Door is $500 per person. He’ll be there for an hour or so. Only condition besides the cold hard cash is you must love the gays (crowd will tilt heavily gay), trannies, bleks, and browns. Oh and alcohol, must love alcohol. Event is late this month....

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I've been out of college for almost a decade.  The kids who were conservative in college are moreso now.  The kids who were liberal in college are moreso now.  The kids who didn't care about politics either still don't or generally lean a bit liberal.

In college (yall know where) I was pretty conservative. Attended some College Republican meetings, cheered for Phil Gramm when he announced his run for the presidency, that sort of thing. Met my wife, left school and we've only drifted further liberal and I'm pretty sure that isn't going to reverse course. (Just another data point against the old 'everyone becomes conservative as they get older' line).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I think so.

i dont think Gen X and Millenials will become socially conservative. But I do think most of us are fiscally RESPONSIBLE and for that, we are turning to the Democrats as they are the only party to show even an ounce of fiscal responsibility over the last 25 years. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont think Gen X and Millenials will become socially conservative. But I do think most of us are fiscally RESPONSIBLE and for that, we are turning to the Democrats as they are the only party to show even an ounce of fiscal responsibility over the last 25 years. 

There's something to this.  The GOP had a legitimate attraction as a party of some fiscal responsibility. They've managed to disabuse every remotely sane person of that notion.  The fact that they are doing so in favor of a brand of pure narcissism and xenophobia just makes the choice that much clearer.

I grew up mostly voting GOP.  Now, I can't imagine either of my kids ever casting a vote for a GOP candidate.  And I won't be doing so for the foreseeable future, either.  Sure, just one data point.  But I think we're seeing something really significant with respect to the GOP.  It used to be a party that, by virtue of its platform, drew a lotta support from old white folks.  Now, it's a party that shamelessly appeals to the very worst of old white folks' nature, and not much else.

• Like 5

I went from hard core conservative to still fiscally conservative but full tilt social liberal. I just don’t see how a society made for all of us is a bad thing. The pie is big enough to give every one a slice. You get yours, I’ll get mine and let’s help them get theirs.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

In college (yall know where) I was pretty conservative. Attended some College Republican meetings, cheered for Phil Gramm when he announced his run for the presidency, that sort of thing. Met my wife, left school and we've only drifted further liberal and I'm pretty sure that isn't going to reverse course. (Just another data point against the old 'everyone becomes conservative as they get older' line). 

Yep.  I went to Cali and wrote pro-Contra and pro-life editorials for the student paper and my work study was at the Hoover Institution.  Went to Austin and kind of got apolitical in law school and then started working for the Feds.  Have grown steadily liberal.  But I'm prime fodder for a magical Republican who want to put more money into education and would actually balance the budget.

I was kind of idealistic about conservatism when I was young, and I've always held the right to a higher standard because I always thought if you were the beneficiary of the capitalist system you had a bigger duty to make sure that the underclass who was harmed by the system was protected.  My trajectory has been one that over the last 20-30 years has seen any good that might have been in the conservative movement die off and be replaced by, well, you know what it has been replaced by.

2016 fomented the Dems into their progressive/moderate battle and I think Trump apologists being thrown out will mean that there might arise out of the ashes some folks who don't demonize all government but who want the smallest government they can have while still protecting the weak. Maybe that will come from outside libertarians.  Maybe just some accountants who aren't obsessed with re-Christianizing America.

• Like 1

That all sounds nice.Nice and broad as hell.

It could never be the voice of experience, could it? And why does reform always involve raising our taxes?
 “Nah, them oldsters are just dumb as fuck and stubborn as a mule. They shouldn’t even really count in the elections. WTF do they know?”
Similar to what Tantric said, there’s plenty of older, boomer libs.

There is a reason con men prey on the old. Voice of experience, haha. I grew up around the voices of experience in S. Florida. I saw their wonderful judgement on display when fighting over parking spaces. They were so nice to have banned skateboarding in certain neighborhoods.

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There's something to this.  The GOP had a legitimate attraction as a party of some fiscal responsibility. They've managed to disabuse every remotely sane person of that notion.  The fact that they are doing so in favor of a brand of pure narcissism and xenophobia just makes the choice that much clearer.

I grew up mostly voting GOP.  Now, I can't imagine either of my kids ever casting a vote for a GOP candidate.  And I won't be doing so for the foreseeable future, either.  Sure, just one data point.  But I think we're seeing something really significant with respect to the GOP.  It used to be a party that, by virtue of its platform, drew a lotta support from old white folks.  Now, it's a party that shamelessly appeals to the very worst of old white folks' nature, and not much else.

I grew up a Reagan Republican as a kid. I voted for Clayton Williams, Bush Sr, Dole, Bush Jr for Gov, Bush Jr for President and then largely Democrats ever since based solely on the issue of fiscal responsibility. but I dont vote straight ticket. The Republican party as presently constituted is disgustingly stupid and offensive to anyone who is a moral, responsible, caring, family, patriotic oriented person. I don't get it at all. We benefited from Ryan/Trump's tax cuts but to what end? What did we give up to save a little in taxes? Our integrity? Our promise and responsibility to provide a better nation for our kids and grandkids?  No thank you.

We have 5 kids. We will be adding 2 more votes for the Dems this Fall. The other 3 will join when they are able to vote. We are active in Beto's campaign and actively encourage our kids to serve their community and get involved. They have embraced our activism and are taking it to the next level. Times are a changing...

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Socially conservative over time is all relative.  Someone that is 80 today and socially conservative by current standards, probably isn't socially conservative by 1940 standards.    In fact the 80 year is most likely more tolerant about many issues today then they were when they were 20.  

The 20 year old today may not become more socially conservative over time but rather the new norms may shift over time and they all of a sudden become socially conservative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I went from hard core conservative to still fiscally conservative but full tilt social liberal. I just don’t see how a society made for all of us is a bad thing. The pie is big enough to give every one a slice. You get yours, I’ll get mine and let’s help them get theirs.

d963961f-6e6d-4ac5-894d-588e6db61d84_tex

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Socially conservative over time is all relative.  Someone that is 80 today and socially conservative by current standards, probably isn't socially conservative by 1940 standards.    In fact the 80 year is most likely more tolerant about many issues today then they were when they were 20.  

The 20 year old today may not become more socially conservative over time but rather the new norms may shift over time and they all of a sudden become socially conservative.

I do wonder about this.  There''s a pretty fair amount of "I just don't give a shit" when it comes to social hot-button issues.

Gay, straight, black, hispanic, whatever -- I just don't give a shit.  I can't imagine giving a shit.  It's kinda hard to imagine what other "social conservative" hot-button issues there will be in the future that haven't been addressed.  Be who you are.  Don't be a fucking dick to other people.  Period.  I think that's becoming a more broadly governing ethos, which is going to make it hard to rile up folks as future social conservatives.  What do you want me to get pissed about, again?  Some dude wants to be addressed as She-unicorn?  Whatever.  I think it's stupid, but I also think that wearing Uggs in the summer is stupid, glitter-coated bass boats are stupid, truck nuts are stupid, etc. etc.  But it all falls into the "I don't give a shit" bucket.  And I've turned LESS socially conservative over the last 20 years, mostly because I've seen folks who hold socially conservative positions using their beliefs to be mean dicks to other people.  And while I may not be the most sophisticated fella in the world, I know that I don't cotton to folks being mean dicks.

For my kids, it's even more so. My daughter rolls her eyes when another one of her classmates wants to be addressed as "she-unicorn" or what have you, but it's not even a speed bump in her thinking.

And we say this as a Christian family -- their mom and I are the products of Catholic education.  She's a pastor.  Our kids have been raised in the church, and have gone to Christian summer camps.  Granted, our faith tradition is pretty averse to the fundagelical bullshit that dominates the GOP, but still.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

The wind blew a different direction. The Cuban Canadian changed his rhetoric to go with the wind. Same old Rafael Edward Cruz as always.

Ted is a conservative Hillary. His entire existence is defined by political ambition, and so he will follow any political breeze if it helps his career. He doesn't stand for anything except furthering his own career.

He's exactly the kind of person in Washington you can't trust, and shouldn't want, representing you.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Ted is a conservative Hillary. His entire existence is defined by political ambition, and so he will follow any political breeze if it helps his career. He doesn't stand for anything except furthering his own career.

He's exactly the kind of person in Washington you can't trust, and shouldn't want, representing you.

Perfect comparison.

Most everything I hated about Hillary, I also hate about Cruz.  I wouldn't trust him farther than I can throw him.  If he ever had any principles, he's abandoned them for "whatever is good for Ted is good."

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

A whole lot of these scared older conservatives are living on pensions that many Gen X and Millenial types will never see. That alone will have serious ramifications political and economic, in 20-30 years. 

This is a huge overlooked thing.  Neither Millennials nor Gen X will ever be terrified of homosexuality or ethnic and religious diversity, so the GOP will eventually have to drop those.  However, the GOPs entire current platform would boil down to "reforming" or dismantling social safety nets while expanding the military.    As long as the Democratic Party continues to be the one who backs Social Security, Medicare, and a future single payer system, they'll be the ones who will be able to play the fear card when Gen X and Millennials get old.   

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The fiscal part of the GOP is what turns me off today, much because of what you describe.  I know people get pissy about the ‘both sides’ thingy, but that seems to be where Congress is more unified than anywhere else.

As far as social policy, neither side really gets it right. They just see the issues as leverage towards their fiscal goals.  It’s off-putting as hell.

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

The fiscal part of the GOP is what turns me off today, much because of what you describe.  I know people get pissy about the ‘both sides’ thingy, but that seems to be where Congress is more unified than anywhere else.

As far as social policy, neither side really gets it right. They just see the issues as leverage towards their fiscal goals.  It’s off-putting as hell.

What would getting it right on social policy look like?